As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New York Comic Con] Why isn't there a thread for this?

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Gosh, there are so many panels I want to go to, not to mention autographs and such. How can I have time for it all? D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The autographs are mainly comic people, right? (like artists, writers, etc.) If so, I will skip that, unless there is anyone from the The Walking Dead series there. Then I will get one of my trades signed. (trades are the books of about 10 issues of a comic, right?)

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    If anyone's there, my friend Garan is over there trying to promote his books.

http://www.firstsalvo.com/

Grifter on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    i wish i could get grant morrison to sign stuff for me. he could just sign my face for all i care, really.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He doesn't give autographs. He gives metaphysical revelations, and his mark is an imprint on your very soul.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Servo, if you can get your face into my hands by tomorrow, I will wait for Morrison in the 5th dimension and get him to sign it for you.

Delduwath on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    i'm sending it by quantum dream-post right now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited April 2008
    My past-self will received your package when I go to sleep last night, so I will have it three days ago. Consider it done.

Delduwath on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't wait for Morrison to get in front of everyone and start talking. All the non-comic book press/people will go insane and their heads will explode like in the Scanners movie.

Algertman on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morrison can act normal in short spurts.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    I can't wait for Morrison to get in front of everyone and start talking. All the non-comic book press/people will go insane and their heads will explode like in the Scanners movie.

Note: I must avoid this then.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if he starts every panel with "So few years back I went to Kathmandu..."

muninn on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was anyone at the DC panel when DiDio got all in a huff about that dickbag's question about 52 and One Year Later?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • GeddloGeddlo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was. I thought it was more like he was trying to rush through the questions because of the time and the fellow was harping about there still being open ended strands from the one year later jump. DiDio was like yeah there were some problems but that story is already 2 years old now and there have been plenty other great stories told.

He essentially told the guy to just get over it in my opinion. The panel was neat, my first dc nation panel, but t was extremely difficult to hear questions being asked.

Geddlo on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    what was the question

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    Well, I guess that was sort of the thing; the dude got up there and started harping on about how there were apparently loose-ends or things that didn't quite tie up in a satisfactory manner from One Year Later and 52, but there wasn't really a question per se. DiDio admitted that Countdown had disappointed but passionately went on about how 52 and One Year Later were two years ago and that he could promise us that this time they wouldn't let us down and that we need to let bygones be bygones, basically.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Neil Gaiman is the dreamiest (no puns intended) man alive (and I say this as a completely straight male).

There was a pretty awesome moment when Gaiman was reading questions from the audience that were written down and passed up to him. One of the questions was "The girl dressed like Delirium in the 6th row is really cute. Could you ask her for her phone number?", and then the girl got up, and the guy who asked the question got up, and she walked up to him and gave him a piece of paper with (presumably) her phone number on it.

Also. Is it really that difficult for people to shower when they get up in the morning? It wasn't terrible or anything, but my philosophy is that if you smell the stench of one person, then that's one person too many.

Delduwath on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Also. Is it really that difficult for people to shower when they get up in the morning? It wasn't terrible or anything, but my philosophy is that if you smell the stench of one person, then that's one person too many.

You're going to one of the biggest conventions in the U.S. that is solely catered towards comic books. Think about your average comic book reader...then think about those really die-hard comic book readers, that just go nuts over every little tiny thing. Multiple that by a few thousand.

Naturally it's gonna fuckin stink.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited April 2008
    I understand this. This is not the first convention I've been to (although it's the first comic book convention I've been to). Loving the shit out of comic books and soap are not mutually exclusive, though.

I realize that nothing will make people who don't shower shower, but it sure does make for a wonderful fantasy.

Delduwath on
    edited April 2008
    Oh boy, I can't wait for the smells. I am actually bringing deodorant with me. Haha. That, a couple bottles of water, camera, two comics to maybe get signed, my iPod and DS. Am I missing anything? I am even wearing my backpack with my three Harvey Dent buttons on it. AND I am wearing my DS Lite Penny Arcade Shirt.

Anyway...about the panels. Are we allowed to video them? I am going to skip the Star Wars/Indiana panel to see the Writers talk about Writing for Comics panel and I don't want to be writing stuff down the entire panel. I guess I could always turn my camera on and just record my lap, this way I will at least have audio.

Another question. Why am I still up at two in the morning when I am waking up at six to head out to the train?

I'M SO PUMPED! I will post pictures at the end of the day.

I also say fuck bringing a sweatshirt (shorts and t-shirt all the way, baby).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    Yes, you can video tape.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Yes, you can video tape.

Thank you! Anyone going to Zombie Survival 101? Ha.

EDIT: Ok, before I head to bed I have some questions again.

I assume there are two different lines for picking up my badge/tickets and getting into the con. Is that right?

Also, my sister's husband and I are going early as fuck and my sister wants to come later. The tickets are in my name. Does she need me there to get her ticket?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    I wonder if he starts every panel with "So few years back I went to Kathmandu..."

My first SDCC (Last summer or the summer before that; I forget) he opened with:
    Good evening San Diegoooo! For those about to read comics!

All rock-star like. It was beautiful.

Lux on
    edited April 2008
    And we are off.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    Great day today. My first Con and it was fantastic. Here are some quick hits:

The Panels:

Best one I went to was Shin Chan. They were hilarious, very talkative, and I can't wait for the season 1 dvd to be released.

I also went to the Comic Writers talking about Writers, Narnia/Walle, Ghost Hunters, and Starship Troopers 3. We stayed at the Narnia/Walle one to just see the Walle clips, which were great. That movie is going to be good. Ghost Hunters was ok. They were pretty laid back and funny. Comic Writers talking about Writing and Starship Troopers 3 were borefests. Casper Van Dien and that lady in the film were boooooring. Nothing but a fluff fest. No decent conversation going, just them saying, "This movie is really good. The cast was amazing, etc, etc." And the writers panel was meh. They just bs-ed about the business. I didn't really take much from it.

The Shwag:

What I got:

-Iron Man tumbler glass
    -Ninja Turtles set + autograph from the co-creator (or co-writer, I forget)
    -Got Tony Moore to sign my first trade issue of The Walking Dead
    -"Do not eat!" creature collection book by Andrew Bell, who seemed like a cool guy. He drew a little sketch in the front cover and signed it.
    -I bought the Marvel Zombies trade, Ultimate Spiderman vol 2, and Secret Invasion (midtown comics cover edition) for just $31. All the comics were 25% off (the Marvel Zombie trade alone was $30 without the discount, so I figure this to be a good deal)
    -Dookie-Poo little brown guy (which came with some other shwag)

I got some pictures of costumes which I will eventually post. Overall, I am loving Comic Con and this is getting me excited for San Diego. I can't wait to get back in there tomorrow.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I honestly doubt any of you people saw a somewhat young looking person with a beard, longish hair, and a Team Zissou shirt with matching shoes.

If so, congrats. You saw me.

I didn't have most of my money on me for some ungodly reason, so I didn't walk away with much aside from free shit and a signed copy of Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 for the girlfriend.

Mustachio Jones on
  • GeddloGeddlo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I missed getting tickets for autographs on Saturday. I heard from a few people that people were lining up outside for certain ones at 530am.

I managed to see the Venture Bros. panel which was quite fun. They actually had to change the room the panel was supposed to be in because the line wrapped that whole hallway. Probably around 200-300 people went into this thing. We went to the room an hour before it was supposed to start and it already reached the back of the hallway. I was really impressed that the Cons people made the decision to change rooms.

They showed us a 4 minute preview of season 3 which was awesome. The video for it is already up on youtube.

Was a great weekend overall. So much to take in and I came away with some great stuff.

Geddlo on
    edited April 2008
    The Venture Brothers line was not a line.

It was a crime against humanity.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Great stuff today. The best panel (for me) was the Video Game Journalism panel. I spoke with Julianne Greer after an earlier panel to see if they higher a lot of freelance writers (dumb question). I also asked her if I have a better chance of getting a freelance job at The Escapist if I majored or minored in pro writing and she said maybe, but she is going to expect better work than others. She mentioned the pains of being an editor in an earlier panel. People send her cover letters with punctuation errors and people apologize for even writing a cover letter. So after that first panel she was at, I told her I felt her pain in the editing department and we talked for a few seconds and eventually exchanged business cards.

The Gears of War 2 panel was kind of dumb. Since they can't really say anything about the new game, most questions (about the new game) went unanswered.

I got more shwag today, which I will eventually post pics of (and pics of the whole con).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    The Grant Morrison panel from yesterday was a hell of a lot of fun. Grant lives in a reality entirely different from mine and everybody else's, but I never realized that he was hella funny and charismatic in addition to weird. It was great, except for when people got picked to ask a question and launched into a speech about how one of Morrison's books is a spiritual experience and how it changed their lives. All Star Superman is really fucking good, I get it, I don't need to hear it five times in as many minutes Jesus fuck.

It really wasn't cool how so many artists were busy with commissions today and weren't doing sketches. Keith, I was going to get you a sketch by Cooke, but when I went to see him at the DC booth he didn't have time to do anything other than sign a book and make me a 30-second (yet ridiculously awesome) sketch of Green Lantern (and I hope you'll forgive my wanting to keep that for myself); when I went to see him at the Artist's Alley and asked him if he had time for a quick sketch, he flat-out said "No", without any niceties. Sorry about that, dude.

When I was waiting in line for Mark Buckingham to get something signed for a friend, I kep looking at the guy sitting next to him. "David Lloyd". Why the fuck does that sound so familiar? And then after a full half an hour, OH, THAT'S RIGHT, he's just the guy who drew V for Vendetta, one of my three most favorite comics. I didn't have V with me, but he was selling Kickback, so I bought that, and he did a really cool sketch in it with crayons. It was pretty awesome to watch.

How did the Cup O Joe panel go? When I got to the general area of the panel, I saw a line that snaked from the door to that panel and out to beyond space and time. When I found out it was for Cup O Joe I was like "fuck that", and left.

The guy at the Jim Hanley's Universe booth said that they've already ordered more of Absolute Sandman vol. 1, and since the "40% off a single item" coupons they were handing out last until the end of the week, I have a suspicion that I'm going to have to go get one of these.

Hey you guys who couldn't make it to NYCC this year, next year you need to not do whatever you were doing and come down here. It was awesome.

Delduwath on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Reading Grant Morrison's comments on the news sites from his appearance at the FC Panel made my day.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=154312

The first video on there is great, especially his response to the last question he's asked. And the panel was basically like 45-50 minutes of that.

Delduwath on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I went Saturday.

I caught the DC Panel, which was great. Walked in late on the Hulk movie panel, but got to catch the new trailer, as well as the "secret" cameo, saw the new Dark Knight Trailer, walked out during the Spirit as Frank Miller kept stroking himself, and spotted Stan Lee all over the place.

Cup of Joe was great, mostly because Stan Lee popped up during it, and also when Quesada said he was a Skrull; reasoning, that the real Quesada wouldn't of let One More Day happen. (Stan Lee <3 One More Day, too. Skrull?)

Shamus on
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey you guys who couldn't make it to NYCC this year, next year you need to not do whatever you were doing and come down here. It was awesome.

This could not be any more true. And I love how I had a totally different experience at this thing than other people. You guys go to get autographs and go to totally different panels. It is like we went to an all together different event.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    whoa whoa whoa

new dark knight trailer was shown?

also http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=154438

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Reading Grant Morrison's comments on the news sites from his appearance at the FC Panel made my day.

I applauded when he said fuck the event tie-in books by people you're not interested in, becuase most of them are crap.

I may have even hooped a little.

I hope video of it pops up soon.

august on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

The Shwag:

What I got:

-Iron Man tumbler glass

Damn you!!!!!

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    What day did you go? I got it Saturday morning.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    What day did you go? I got it Saturday morning.

Where were the tumblers? I went Saturday and I think I just got overwhelmed with everything and totally forgot about the tumblers. I did get the Black Suit Superman and the special Batman as well.

I think my brain just went on on overdrive when I got there Saturday. SOOO many things to hit up and so much to do. I'm happy though...I picked up a few trades that I've been wanting to read for cheap, picked up a print of Superman by DC colorist Tom Chu and those two action figures...and a bunch of pictures of me and my gf with random cosplayers. All in all good time :)

reddog on
    reddog.png
    edited April 2008
    The tumbler was before you even entered the actual con. There was a little Comic-Con shop before you entered the floor. It was next to those big statue things of Master Chief, Superman, Yoda, etc.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png