As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

1151617181921»

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I just finished training Salvaging and am working towards Cruisers. But at the moment am trying to make money in my Gallente frigate. I'm finding missions to be a pain. I can't seem to find 'hubs' with several quest givers and often just jumping to a system based on agents who are available to me yields missions in which I get my shit rocked. I can find more appropriate missions if I search around but it seems more of a hassle than it's worth.

So.. would it be worth my while to go ratting in <0.8 or am I going to just get myself owned. I'm kind of put off it considering I'm already struggling with some of these missions in 1.0 and 0.9. I figured they'd get harder as the security level decreased, was I wrong?

exis on
  • VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well hello PA EvEers,

I have decided to try my hand at EvE’s extended trial on steam.

I have been reading up a bit and I think I have a good outline for my character, if no one objects I would like to run it by you guys.

The experience I want out of this character is: PVE<Corp experience< PVP

Although if I do decide to buy the game I will care exclusively to experience: Corp=PVP

I have read that for PvE, missiles are a very good choice, hence for the trial, I was thinking about the following build:
    Race: Caldari
    Bloodline: Achura
    Heritage: Inventor
    Career: Military
    Specialization: Special Forces

For the ships I plan to stick with the storyline agent and get the Condor frigate and then the Kestrel frigate. I hear that both of those give bonuses to missiles. I don’t know how expensive cruisers are but if I amass enough cash in my trial I may pick up a Caracal cruiser if time permits.

On the topic of skills I am at a loss though, I know I need to train ballistic control systems but other than that, I don’t know what to focus on in the early days to stream line my experience. I know about EveMon and I plan to install it and take the suggestions it offers.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thank you,

Vathris

Vathris on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dear fucking GOD I'm tired of being ganked by 12 year old fucktards swarming ... our two sectors... right now.

Maybe I'll go back to where the Angels spawn and rat there, maybe there'll be less shit nailing me. This is fucking stupid. Every time I get ahead in this game, think I'm doing good (I was ratting a triple BS spawn today, yay) then some fuckhead we're at war with (lolz, 4v1 and WE WON, we're awzome!) shows up and sends me back to square one.

Bleh. I knew I shoulda left at 8 instead of trying for that third BS...

KiTA on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shoulda been watching local. If you can rat triple battleships, you should know better!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Dear fucking GOD I'm tired of being ganked by 12 year old fucktards swarming ... our two sectors... right now.

Maybe I'll go back to where the Angels spawn and rat there, maybe there'll be less shit nailing me. This is fucking stupid. Every time I get ahead in this game, think I'm doing good (I was ratting a triple BS spawn today, yay) then some fuckhead we're at war with (lolz, 4v1 and WE WON, we're awzome!) shows up and sends me back to square one.

Bleh. I knew I shoulda left at 8 instead of trying for that third BS...

Come to FAT and rat Sansha, they are easier than angels and you can rat in an Amarr ship (no ammo!)

smokmnky on
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Shoulda been watching local. If you can rat triple battleships, you should know better!

Sorry, left my psychic pants in the wash.

Seriously, here's my UI. Am I missing something?

@smokmnky: Yeah, I'm in that general area, ratting Sansha in drone boats.

KiTA on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Watch it better? If theres that many people in local, might be time to move to an empty system and run to the local deathstar as soon as a hostile or neutral enters.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Dominix hooooo~~~~~ *dramatic pose*

Woo, 5 Ogres = PewPew

KiTA on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ratting with locals in the system is generally a bad idea, unless you've got an alt in a covops watching them. Unless you want to act as bait for friends.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys, i suck as a pirate... I couldn't kill a 2008 character in a drake with my arazu.... Some assholes taught him to shoot drones.

So frustrating... watching his shields go down and then suddenly my screen rocks, and I'm down a drone, then another, then i pull them back and give up. Damn low DPS. Seriously starting to hate the overpoweredness of the drake.

Comahawk on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I smart bomb my drakes

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Guys, i suck as a pirate... I couldn't kill a 2008 character in a drake with my arazu.... Some assholes taught him to shoot drones.

So frustrating... watching his shields go down and then suddenly my screen rocks, and I'm down a drone, then another, then i pull them back and give up. Damn low DPS. Seriously starting to hate the overpoweredness of the drake.

Use a plated blaster Mega on them - they go down pretty easy when you're raining down 1k+ dps.

OptimusWang on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    so, losing a covops at the 319 undock in Delve was fun last night. Teach me to ever undock even when the FC says its cool

smokmnky on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I log in space. HI5

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    I log in space. HI5

Ethea on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Use a plated blaster Mega on them - they go down pretty easy when you're raining down 1k+ dps.

Hard to sneak around solo in a Mega in low sec though... Tends to attract unwanted pirates.

Comahawk on
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm actually enjoying myself with this game, so I'd thought I'd ask what would be a useful career path to take?
    With the intent of eventually being able to help out the fellow nerd consortium here at PE.

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Drakes are pretty pimp. I had my first PvP experience in one. I was about 2 months into the game and had just gotten into the drake about 2 weeks earlier. I decided in my infinite wisdom that using the drake to haul my salvage to Jita was a good idea, bigger = safer, right? I warp to the L4X >Skarkon gate, and there's a Minmatar HAC, I think it was a Rapier, neutral, camping out. I flip on the tank, all T1 named modules, and start throwing missiles at the guy. He gets me to about 1/3 of my shields, and I just stop taking damage altogether, while his shields nearly run out before he recalls his drones and runs off.

I was all proud of myself until I ran into the smartbombing carrier tanking the gate guns. :welp:

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Stick a damp on him with lock time on it then recall and relaunch your drones every 5 seconds or so. If you can work out his lock range after you've damped him this will work even better. Since you can recall your drones past it then send them back in again timing how long he has had to lock them.

This will lower your DPS, but it might be enough to matter.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • J_LJ_L Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Vathris wrote: »
    Well hello PA EvEers,

I have decided to try my hand at EvE’s extended trial on steam.

:words:

On the topic of skills I am at a loss though, I know I need to train ballistic control systems but other than that, I don’t know what to focus on in the early days to stream line my experience. I know about EveMon and I plan to install it and take the suggestions it offers.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thank you,

Vathris

I spent most of my early eve days in a kestrel doing lvl 1 missions, so what you'll want to do is train up the follow skills for the below setup. Missile Launcher Operation to something like 3, Shield Operations lvl1, Energy Grid upgrades lvl 1, energy grid upgrades to lvl 2 and weapon upgrades lvl1. Then role with soemthing like the following setup:

3 (or 4) Standard launchers

1 1MN Afterburner I
    1 Small Shield Booster I
    1 Cap Recharger I

1 Power Diagnostic System
    1 Ballistic Control System

Also the goonfleet wiki has some good public articles that should help get you started.

J_L on
    Got A Penny?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EvE: Vetitum/Venitum
  • JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's also some good goonfleet youtube videos as well
    mining 101, safe spotting 101, fleet ops 101, etc. just search em in youtube, they all show up on the right when ya get one in related searches.
    Really helpful for getting your bearings (which I am still doing lol)

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Admiral AmbiguousAdmiral Ambiguous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What do people generally spend their LP on? Implants? Blueprints? Faction ammo? Is there a concensus on what's the best value, or is it whatever you need at the time?

Admiral Ambiguous on
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Snake and Slave implants are big money, the rest are decent. Faction ammo is pretty good too, but not sure about which kinds exactly. Depends on which faction the LP is for.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i'm bumping this because my roomate and i are gonna give this game a whirl this weekend.

any specifics i should know whil i'm downloading the client? starting locations or where to join up with PA?

tehmarken on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's a Merch recruitment thread in G&T with lots of relevant info in the OP.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So someone explain to me why the gallente ewar ships like the celestis and the recons are so gimped in the area of ewar.

I realise ships like the arazu aren't quite the solo ecm boats as eagles are, but having the ability to drop someones lock range down to around 10km give or take, isn't exactly godawful. It still leaves a chance, especially for short range ships to fight back, but even the noble celestis, I know I've contributed to the survival of several of our dictors and ceptors when fighting in smaller gangs. I'm usually there with the tacklers, or warping in faster than the dps battleships, and all the tacklers have to do to not get shot after webbing the target, is to get outside of roughly 15km to lose the lock.

Someone like goumindong type up an essay. I was almost going to say summarize something on shitheap, but I'd rather read goum words than go to that place or read something from it.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    So someone explain to me why the gallente ewar ships like the celestis and the recons are so gimped in the area of ewar.

I realise ships like the arazu aren't quite the solo ecm boats as eagles are, but having the ability to drop someones lock range down to around 10km give or take, isn't exactly godawful. It still leaves a chance, especially for short range ships to fight back, but even the noble celestis, I know I've contributed to the survival of several of our dictors and ceptors when fighting in smaller gangs. I'm usually there with the tacklers, or warping in faster than the dps battleships, and all the tacklers have to do to not get shot after webbing the target, is to get outside of roughly 15km to lose the lock.

Someone like goumindong type up an essay. I was almost going to say summarize something on shitheap, but I'd rather read goum words than go to that place or read something from it.

RSD ships used to be able to solo decently well, because they could drop lock range *and* sensor resolution at the same time, then release drones. No way to target the ship, targeting drones took forever, it could kill even battleships with enough time.

Then CCP introduced scripts, so RSDs can reduce range, reduce resolution, or sorta-maybe reduce both a little bit. Since then, ECM (especially from scorpions and blackbirds) is much more effective.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Janin wrote: »

RSD ships used to be able to solo decently well, because they could drop lock range *and* sensor resolution at the same time, then release drones. No way to target the ship, targeting drones took forever, it could kill even battleships with enough time.

Then CCP introduced scripts, so RSDs can reduce range, reduce resolution, or sorta-maybe reduce both a little bit. Since then, ECM (especially from scorpions and blackbirds) is much more effective.

Also when the script change happened they also did a 20% reduction on RSD strength. So the combined net effect is you can only dampen range or speed at 80% the strength you used too. Combine that with a boost to scorpions and falcons ecm jam strength and ecm becomes a better EWAR.

Ethea on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So someone explain to me why the gallente ewar ships like the celestis and the recons are so gimped in the area of ewar..

I actually already did. Its not that long. But its mainly because they changed the way that the various bonuses to damp strength interacted with each other[and then a big old large flat nerf] and this made the ships alone when not at max skills with a rigged bonused ship along side a gang bonus producer suck.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=756166

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So my alt is almost into a Rapier, is this somehow not a waste of time if I just want to fuck with pubbies wherever we're doing that these days?

electricitylikesme on
  • deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So my alt is almost into a Rapier, is this somehow not a waste of time if I just want to fuck with pubbies wherever we're doing that these days?

rapiers are awesome end of story

deadtear on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Ooh! Are Drakes over powered now? I should definitely get back in.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ooh! Are Drakes over powered now? I should definitely get back in.

Drakes are the same as always, slow, crap dps, with a very stiff tank

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow this thread is still going.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ZeutheirZeutheir Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Thanks a lot for this guide. I've been playing Eve for almost 3 weeks now and love it. I've played MMOs for years, but this is my favorite so far. I recommend it to anyone.

Zeutheir on
  • AiolosAiolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just reactivated my account and I've forgot how much i enjoyed eve, but can someone help me out here?

My character was created using a caldari miner template and skill training hasn't been too bad so far but I'm finally learning mining barge V to use my latest mining barge but the damn things got a training time of 23 days I guess I need to know if it's worth picking up the advanced learning skillbooks now (like extra perception) or waiting for a more ideal time?

Also any advice what to buy for those 'skill hardwire' implant slots? (6-10?) again I'm looking at mining / manufacturing.

Aiolos on
  • corksoakercorksoaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess I need to know if it's worth picking up the advanced learning skillbooks now (like extra perception) or waiting for a more ideal time?

Get Evemon and plug in what skills you want to learn, and it will recommend if any learning skills will speed up the time. Most likely you will see a reduction, by picking up the advanced learning skills. However they are expensive if you are just starting out in empire (4mil or so).

corksoaker on