As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Final Crisis Thread

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    lol cuz he s ' prepared

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    maybe he was like "dudes there's a photographer here let me run out first and then you can all catch up so it looks like i can keep up with you guys"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moreover, how is Aquaman keeping up with them?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    He can swim faster than anything in the world.

That translates to speed on land

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/DCU_0/DCU.ZERO.02.jpg

how is batman keeping up with them

It's not a race!

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Isn't in Munch?

Isn't it?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    aquaman matter to me

august on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/DCU_0/DCU.ZERO.02.jpg

how is batman keeping up with them

It's not a race!

well then, Flash is running really, really fast..

in slow motion.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Everyone is slowing down to keep up with Batman so he doesn't feel left out

Kind of like how when all but one of your friends has a bike, so everyone has to walk it when you're all going down the block.

Lux on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    Everyone is slowing down to keep up with Batman so he doesn't feel left out

Kind of like how when all but one of your friends has a bike, so everyone has to walk it when you're all going down the block.

We were supposed to wait? I guess that explains why billy hung himself.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm surprised DC has any real readership left.

Marvel, too; but to a lesser extent.

As a non-reader, I grasp the underlying concepts of Marvel's summer events quite easily, and with a little wiki-reading, I can catch up on the character events. There's some merciful pacing there to allow unfamiliar readers to get into the swing of things whenever they want to.

With DC's constant universe shifting, it's just a giant mindfuck. It cockblocks anyone who develops a sudden interest for comics (especially in summer blockbuster season), and beyond that, it sounds like it's even begining to shut out longtime readers who lose faith in one of the year-long limiteds, and then can't catch back up with the next event.

The only real crisis I could see coming for DC is the one where they don't have enough devoted monthly readers left to justify this type of thing, and have to make a paradigm shift towards more newcomer-friendly stories.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yes if only there was some sort of trade that would allow people to catch up on old stories to understand what is going on in current storylines. Perhaps it could even be in paperback.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Yes if only there was some sort of trade that would allow people to catch up on old stories to understand what is going on in current storylines. Perhaps it could even be in paperback.

Trades are expensive, and DC's current continuity is so sprawling that it just makes things that much worse.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Comics are on average 3 bucks each. Trades contain, what about 6 issues on average and range from 14 to 20. Even less if you get them used. If they someone is going to get into comics, I think they'd be more put off at the price of singles than trades. In addition comics essentially summarize the events of the preceding story arc in the first three pages of every issue. I was rereading the SCW stuff and basically every issue starts out with "I am Hal Jordan an officer in the green lantern corps who guard the blah blah blah, we are currently at war with Sinestro, and this is what I am currently doing"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

Trades are expensive, and DC's current continuity is so sprawling that it just makes things that much worse.

You can read Infinite Crisis and 52 and pretty much "get it".

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've slashed the amount of DC books I read down to about a third of what I was reading a few years ago. Due mainly to all the bungled reboots, revamps, and events. Ever since the first issue of the incomprehensible Infinite Crisis, DC's been a disaster; OYL was a total failure as a concept, the Flash reboot was godawful and has only now gotten slightly readable, JLA is limping around due to editorial interference and a weak art team, each legacy hero relaunch has failed spectacularly, Countdown is a mess of epic proportions that marred any book it touched, all the Countdown spin-offs somehow managed to be worse, Infinity Inc was DOA, the return of Ray Palmer was needlessly convoluted and lacked any emotional punch, and so on.

This is to say nothing of the series that were at one point very enjoyable, but have become so awful I don't even bother with anymore; Birds of Prey and Teen Titans spring to mind.

That's not to say DC isn't getting some stuff right of course. Booster Gold, JSA, and 52 have been the few bright spots in DC's recent history, and although I don't read them, the Batman and Superman titles are supposed to be very good. They've also done well in getting good teams back on Nightwing and Robin, and launching a pretty enjoyable iteration of the Outsiders. But then I see stuff like the new Titans book and start to lose hope again. Final Crisis is pretty much DC's last chance to get me back as a reader.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    what Munch said

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and Brave New World. What was that all about?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You forgot to mention Green Lantern as a bright spot though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

this is pretty funny

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Also Green Lantern is excellent
    As is Blue Beetle

Me Too! on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The New Atom is pretty good, if a little utterly bug fuck crazy.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    With DC's constant universe shifting, it's just a giant mindfuck. It cockblocks anyone who develops a sudden interest for comics (especially in summer blockbuster season)

I started reading DC comics in the middle of Infinite Crisis and I'm pretty sure I know more about them than most people here.

You're just retarded.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    The New Atom was pretty good, if a little utterly bug fuck crazy.
    It's canceled, I'm afraid. DC's decided to axe a couple of books.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I never understood people who think DC is harder to get into than Marvel.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I sort of wish DC would adopt the intro page explaining what has happened up to that point in the series that Marvel uses in their books. It's so much better than the clunky inner monologue thing where a character explains who they are and what's happening for a couple panels that's used in some books.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I never understood people who think DC is harder to get into than Marvel.
    It's all people that haven't read a DC title since Infinite Crisis or even earlier. All of DC's books today are self-contained, which anyone who's bothered to read one of their titles actually knows.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I did. GL and GLC have both been very good throughout, with the exception of GL's first arc where Hal went around punching everyone. However, both books are balanced out by the awfulness of Amazons Attack and pre-Simone Wonder Woman.

Munch on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Also you forgot Blue Beetle, Munch

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What? That's shitty. Are they at least going to finish the story arc?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I believe the next one or the one after is the end of the arc.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The solicit for the last issue says that Ray shows up and Ryan might sacrifice himself to save Ray

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The solicit for the last issue says that Ray shows up and Ryan might sacrifice himself to save Ray
    Well, bollocks.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn Remender seemed really excited about writing a DC book too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    With DC's constant universe shifting, it's just a giant mindfuck. It cockblocks anyone who develops a sudden interest for comics (especially in summer blockbuster season), and beyond that, it sounds like it's even begining to shut out longtime readers who lose faith in one of the year-long limiteds, and then can't catch back up with the next event.

The only real crisis I could see coming for DC is the one where they don't have enough devoted monthly readers left to justify this type of thing, and have to make a paradigm shift towards more newcomer-friendly stories.

It's been said before - in this thread, in fact - but you're not going to need to be au courant with everything DC's ever published to enjoy Final Crisis. It's a miniseries, not a crossover, and a six-issue miniseries at that. There'll be a couple optional tie-in stories, but everything Morrison's said so far is that the only real prerequisite is a basic knowledge of the New Gods and maybe some of the Mr. Miracle stuff from Seven Soldiers.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I only read a little bit of Seven Soldiers and didn't really enjoy it.

I think I read all of Shining Knight and The Guardian, then I read the first issues of Zatanna, Bulleteer, and Mr. Miracle but I gave up after that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I only read a little bit of Seven Soldiers and didn't really enjoy it.

I think I read all of Shining Knight and The Guardian, then I read the first issues of Zatanna, Bulleteer, and Mr. Miracle but I gave up after that.

Fair enough. It might just not be for you. Even so, if you do decide to read Final Crisis, it doesn't sound like any of the leadup or tie-in stuff will be at all essential.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh I'm going to read Final Crisis

I was just chiming in on Seven Soldiers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    once again Bale hates good things