As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour, August 27th-28th (LOCATION VOTING IN PROGRESS)

• Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hey, sorry i havent been on this thread in a while...i am a rider (or tour guide?) if anyone is renting a car let me know i can get a sweet discount :) ummm i think we need a clever name....

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    The Venture Bros. Pre-PAX Seattle Mystery Tour

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The Venture Bros. Pre-PAX Seattle Mystery Tour

pre-pax seattle mystery tour sounds cool (no offense just venture bros trademark etc.)

or?

"it was what the cool kids were doing tour"

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    trademarks haven't stopped us from using other adult swim names for our extra-pax activities. It's not like we're making money off of any of this

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ooh... your ideas are giving me an inspiration... Just a sec...

The "Mystery Tour" reminded me of a much older bizzare cartoon...

How about "The Mystery Machine Pre-PAX Tour"?

http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doo-Mystery-Machine-Van/dp/B000V7Y0GW

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i'm so sad and old. i immediately thought of a different film and song - Roll up, roll up, roll up for the mystery tour. the magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away, take you away ... and had sergeant pepper-like visuals flashing through my mind.

hmmm, i am on tramadol though, maybe that explains it.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Don't feel old, I was thing the same thing when I suggested "Pre-PAX Mystery Tour"

I was even going to suggest the Magical Mystery Tour as the theme song for this venture.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    That sounds good to me! =) I remember the song as well, though admittedly I wasn't around when it first came out... and the first thing I thought of (as a result) was Scooby Doo instead of the Beatles. =)

I think we've found an official name! =)

EDIT: Now we need a new Tour image. I suck at these... is there a trick to doing them in the style that you have for your sig image Moe?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i think i was about 8!

how about this?
    http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/attractions/p_123201

i just meant to paste the coach, but i'm too noobish to do that.

or this

or this

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    I wasn't around for the Beatles either, but I come from a musical family.

The trick for my sig-image is photoshop. I'd whip something up for you, but I'm at work and my laptop is down until my new power supply is delivered (*crossing fingers for tomorrow*).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    No worries! Yeah, I don't have access to Photoshop... I have Paint.NET, which is what I used to make the current (now outdated) image, but I don't really know how it works and it definitely doesn't come out as cool as your logo does. =)

I like the idea of using the mystery tour bus pic too LewieP's Mom! =) That'd be awesome. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was going to put in a vote for Venture Bros. Serves me right for being so scarce around here the past while!

Looks like everything is shaping up well. I can't wait for this tour! "Fun, we will have" as Yoda would say.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Woot! I'm really glad people are looking forward to it! I am as well: I didn't get a chance to see Seattle and the surrounding areas the last time I went to PAX, and I really wanted to. This is going to be great! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Woot! I'm really glad people are looking forward to it! I am as well: I didn't get a chance to see Seattle and the surrounding areas the last time I went to PAX, and I really wanted to. This is going to be great! =)

Heh. I *live* here and I haven't gotten around to sight seeing much of Seattle yet. (Only been here 6 months, and only had a car for 3 months of that. Not a bus fan, i'm spoiled by the PT situation in Melbourne, Australia. :(
    (Of course, Melbourne has 50 years on Seattle, and seattle has bigger hills, which make the situation different, but the road system here is weird)

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    lol, well it's fate then! You haven't looked around at Seattle yet because you were destined to come with us! ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    lol, well it's fate then! You haven't looked around at Seattle yet because you were destined to come with us! ;)

Well, that and by the time i learned about the underground tour and the museum of flight and whatnot, i didn't have any spare time.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Understandable =) Well, we're going to have a BLAST in August! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yep. Already applied for 3 days off (wednesday through friday) for this magically mysterious event and PAX'08. I will be there with socks on. (fortunately, i hate wearing shoes without them)

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Woot! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    hey there is a GREAT cupcake place in wallingford (seattle) we should stop by there?

it is nice and cozy and have the best cupcakes in seattle i think and are getting lots of hype. (they were just on Martha Stewart)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you guys are interested in breakfast options, The Crumpet Shop is on 1st and Pike. Latte happy hour from 7 to 8:30 makes any latte (any size, flavor, etc) $2.

Might be a good way to start the day, and the crumpets are awesome.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmmmm . . . Just got some info from another forum that I go to. If anyone's interested in import games, we could go to this store called the Pink Godzilla in Seattle's Chinatown. The website is: http://www.pinkgodzillagames.com/pg_bam/seattle.php

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pink Godzilla all but closes up during PAX. They move most of the store to their expo booth.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    AnngaricusAnngaricus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hi I wanted to first express mine and Veevee's interest in this. Being on the CCST I don't know what we will have time for but I really would LOVE to do the underground tour if I could ask we do that on the 28th in the afternoon or maybe on Monday?
    I did a bit of research and thought you might enjoy the info I found. One of the things I thought some of you might be interested in is City Pass. It is good for 9 days and it covers admission to the Aquarium, Pacific Science Center, Argosy Cruises Seattle harbor tour, Museum of Flight and Woodland Park Zoo. It costs $44.00 and you can buy it at www.citypass.com\city\seattle.html

Here's some info about the individual places spoiled for longness The pics are blurry but since I was taking a picture of a picture in a small book I think they came out ok. :)
    * The Boeing Museum of Flight -Museum of Flight(?) prices Adult = $14, Senior = $13, Youth = $7.50, Child = free. Bus # 174 from downtown takes you there and its open Fri-Wed 10am - 5pm Thurs 10am - 9pm
    also for those of you staying all week on the first Thursday of every month its free.

* Space Needle - Adult=$16, Senior=$14, Child=$8 9am-midnight

* The Sci-Fi Museum-Adult=$15, Child=$12 10am-8pm is also free first Thursday of every month.

* Seattle Public Library- Of course free didnt find times
    outside photo2.jpg

Insidephoto.jpg

* Jimi Hendrix Memorial- all i found was stuff on the statue

* Experience Music Project- Adult=$19.95, Student=$15.95, Senior/Child=$14.95 Sun-Thurs 9am-6pm Fri & Sat=9am-9pm

* Seattle Aquarium - Adult=$15, Child=$10 9:30am-5pm
    photo3.jpg

Anngaricus on
    Something more creative to be here shortly.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hi Ann! Unfortunately, most people can only make it Wednesday or Thursday (27th and 28th), and we're attempting not to encroach into the mid/late afternoon on Thursday because of the other Pre-PAX events going on.

However, Thursday is the day we've set for the "in downtown" events, so we'll definitely be doing the underground tour on Thursday... it'll just probably be a little earlier in the day... hopefully you can make it!

Ooh, the City Pass might save us a bit of money... someone did mention the aquarium as a possible site, and we're for sure going to be going to the Museum of Flight. I didn't know about the other ones, but I'll be sure to put them in the list of possible locations, especially if we can get them all for one price. Thanks for the info! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    will_cut_grass_for_rupeeswill_cut_grass_for_rupees Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    hey there is a GREAT cupcake place in wallingford (seattle) we should stop by there?

it is nice and cozy and have the best cupcakes in seattle i think and are getting lots of hype. (they were just on Martha Stewart)

This is the greatest place in the universe. My friends and I have tried hard to find a better cupcake, and let me tell you folks, it doesn't exist.

will_cut_grass_for_rupees on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This is the greatest place in the universe. My friends and I have tried hard to find a better cupcake, and let me tell you folks, it doesn't exist.

It's also a fair skip north of the convention centre. The museum of flight is a long way south for wednesday, and I think we're intending to stay within the CBD on the thursday, particularly if we wind up dealing with public transport.
    (PT will be dependent on the ratio of car space to tourists, and I'm betting there'll be more people than cars, ultimately)

Are any of our other potential destinations nearby?

ashridah on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ashridah wrote: »

It's also a fair skip north of the convention centre. The museum of flight is a long way south for wednesday, and I think we're intending to stay within the CBD on the thursday, particularly if we wind up dealing with public transport.
    (PT will be dependent on the ratio of car space to tourists, and I'm betting there'll be more people than cars, ultimately)

Also I don't think cupcakes can generally be considered a tourist attraction. It is just across Lake Union from the Seattle Center (where heaps of the destinations are), but you're right, it is a bit out of the way.

(This is "will_cut_grass_for_rupees", by the way, I am officially changing accounts, since I am actually using my account now and I am so annoyed by that excessively long and ridiculous username!)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok, I know this is might sound kind-of lame, but what about a "Ride the Ducks" tour? It is such a touristy and ridiculous ride, but I see them around all the time and it looks like a lot of fun! I've always wanted to do it. (Apologies for the lateness of submission.) It's about $20 for a 1.5 hour tour.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ashridah wrote: »

Also I don't think cupcakes can generally be considered a tourist attraction. It is just across Lake Union from the Seattle Center (where heaps of the destinations are), but you're right, it is a bit out of the way.

(This is "will_cut_grass_for_rupees", by the way, I am officially changing accounts, since I am actually using my account now and I am so annoyed by that excessively long and ridiculous username!)

on a side note the Fremont troll is within walking distance from trophy...(and i might be able to get hookups/discount cupcakes......i have connections/family with jobs/jobs)

on a side note the fremont troll i think is really cool to hang out/look at it was on the movie "10 things i hate about you"

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Last call for new potential locations!

I'll be having Moe put up the first location poll this week, which means if you have locations you'd like added to the list, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Also, I've attempted to map the current destinations we've considered:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102382400257854017847.00044b3e1b095d086da32

When you click on one of the pushpins, you'll get the address, the cost (as best I could determine) for admission, information about CityPass discount (where applicable), and the website for the specified location.

On another note, I still haven't found the address of that supposed Wizards of the Coast store/gaming center thing. Does anyone know where that is? Me wants to go so bad! =)

EDIT: Gorram it!

http://www.wilwheaton.net/2004/02/well_tug_my_beard.php

It seems that Wizards closed down the Game Center a long time ago. Why didn't I get the memo? Damn, I really wanted to see it too. =( Oh well, cross that off the list.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    a vineyard!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Vineyard? Oh... are there any famous vineyards around there?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would think a vineyard would be a bit too non-nerdy for this tour. I'm not a wine fan myself, of course, so maybe its just me.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye... I think the biggest concern would be the potentially high amount of "under 21" people going. I have no idea what the ratio is right now, but we'd be excluding those under 21 tour goers if we were to go.

However, perhaps those over 21 can have an unofficial day, maybe on tuesday, to do that sort of thing?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i love it that everything i said wasn't mentioned

(which is good, i was not being serious here)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, did you mean the cupcake place and the Fremont troll? lol, in truth I was meaning to add them and completely forgot! Though I don't know where either of them are. =(

If you were interested in going seriously maybe, let me know where I could find more info so I can post it on the map! =) But if you were just joking, that's cool too. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TropicalParadiseTropicalParadise Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    So this thing sounds awesome and I'd like to do it. I wanted to post to announce interest but I haven't bought my tickets yet (waiting on a paycheck) and I don't know who is coming with me as of yet. I'd need a ride, I'm coming from Nova Scotia. I know I'm a bit of a noob posting here saying I'm doing this with no tickets there or anything but I just wanted to express interest!

TropicalParadise on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye, welcome to the group! Let us know as soon as you know how many people are coming with you and I'll add you to the list!

Would you be able to make it Wednesday, Thursday, or both days?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TropicalParadiseTropicalParadise Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    Well since tickets aren't booked yet I'm flexible. It all depends on what is happening on which days. Some of the events I know I would really enjoy while others may not be as interesting. The whole week I have off, my classes resume on 4th of September and I re-move into my university apartment on the 24th, so I really am flexible. It depends on what's happening. I have never been to PAX before so I'm still learning about it all.

TropicalParadise on
This discussion has been closed.