As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Distorted Minds my new video game webcomic

YousorrymonYousorrymon Registered User new member
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
2008-04-15.jpg

Yeah its a comic about video games. Not the most original idea in the world but still. I enjoy making it. Anyway tell me what you think about it. Is it funny? Is it awesome? I want to know what you think.

Yousorrymon on

• Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    don't take this the wrong way, but I don't really know where to begin. I don't really get the joke, which could or should be more built up by additional panels. The characters are drawn very awkward with no sensible sense of anatomy. The background definitely needs to be rethought as well. I think you should consider restarting from scratch and start practicing the basic fundamentals if you hope to generate a quality webcomic.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The joke just isn't that funny, I mean: I get it, but it didn't make me smile.

I think your biggest problem is that the agents look like cardboard cutouts compared to the background. This is because of two things:
    1) the buildings are viewed from a birdseye perspective while the characters are viewed from eye-height.
    2) the characters just don't have any sense of depth to them, the pitch black suits don't help, of course.

I advice you to start learning how to draw things in perspective properly, it will do anything you make good.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Of all of the hundreds of video game comics I've seen over the years, this is one of them.

DMAC on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    Of all of the hundreds of video game comics I've seen over the years, this is one of them.
    There's also that, yes. Original content would be a plus.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I didn't think it was funny.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Some of them are sort of "Hmmm" funny. Others aren't even a little bit funny.

2008-04-01.jpg

Trying to land on the target was hard? NOT FUNNY

Or this one:

2008-03-18.jpg

Giant Jigglypuff is a powerful character in Smash Bros? NOT FUNNY

Or this one:

2007-10-16.jpg

The Jedi guy is in trouble because the other Jedi are dead? Asleep? NOT FUNNY

This is one of the few that I saw where the premise was kind of funny but the execution wasn't there:

2008-03-25.jpg

If you had drawn a feral raccoon suit Mario digging through the trash, maybe biting Luigi on the leg... with the right art it could be funny.

The key to these sorts of "Ha ha, aren't video games absurd?" comics is to choose things that are actually funny.

DMAC on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I didn't think it was funny.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I know we're supposed to be constructive around here, but there isn't a lot to say. It's just not funny, and the art...well, I guess the colours are kind of nice.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One small piece of advice, if it doesn't make you laugh, there's a 99.9% chance other people aren't going to find it funny either.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    in some of the comics there isn't a joke at all. the smash brothers jigglypuff thing? no joke there.

To be honest, videogame webcomics is such a saturated market that there's no point entering it unless you have something REALLY good, and probably not even then because it's ALL been done before. Take six months, get your art really good, come up with a bunch of ideas that aren't about games and then start again. This one is dead in the water. Sorry man.

Tube on