As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

20 Most Overrated Films of All Time

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gim wrote:
    I enjoy reading about it. I enjoy looking at examples of its cinematography. And some of the cuts/transitions used are divine and inspired. Technically, it is sublime. I appreciate it, but I do not enjoy it, and I daresay that is the case with most people who have seen it.
    I enjoyed it and anybody else with sense enjoyed it as well.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Gim wrote:
    I enjoy reading about it. I enjoy looking at examples of its cinematography. And some of the cuts/transitions used are divine and inspired. Technically, it is sublime. I appreciate it, but I do not enjoy it, and I daresay that is the case with most people who have seen it.
    Brilliant argument.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    wow, what a great list of really good movies. I think I'll go watch some again.

aesir on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Gim wrote:
    Brilliant argument.
    I'm on my A-game today boy!

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't enjoy Citizen Kane but I get why it's considered the best movie of all time and I wouldn't really dispute it. It just doesn't cover subject matter I give a shit about.

I also think that Orson Welles would have gone on to make a lot more great movies covering different subjects if he didn't get raped by Hollywood because of Citizen Kane.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Gim wrote:
    I have been vanquished.

Gim on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Matrix trilogies all belong on any list of overrated films. Oh, and The Chronicles of Narnia. All these "epic" pop culture films with zero depth beyond their thinly-veiled sociopolitical agendas.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    The Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Matrix trilogies all belong on any list of overrated films. Oh, and The Chronicles of Narnia. All these "epic" pop culture films with zero depth beyond their thinly-veiled sociopolitical agendas.
    Fuck you. Original Star Wars trilogy is brilliant. Fuck you.

Oh wait, fuck you.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Citizen Kane is one of those movies made for moviemakers. Most people miss half of the stuff Welles does. Personally I've seen it like 6 times and everytime I see it I catch another editing or bit of camera work I missed the last time.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man how can you shit talk Field of Dreams?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have to agree with them on 2001. If anything, it should be further up the list.

I liked the novel. I liked every other Kubrick film I've seen. I like science fiction in general, and am constantly irritated by the fact that most SF films are just action movies with laser guns and aliens instead of uzis and gangsters or whatever.

But that movie was boring as all hell.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah I don't get that. I know a lot of people just didn't like it but it's not like anyone is claiming that it's better than toast.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Also, having seen the Star Wars trilogy a total of once, I can say that I have no desire ever to see it again.

Probably because I saw it at 21 instead of five.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Have you ever seen it on a top 100 list? The only major awards it won was outside the United States. It's good for tugging on the ol' heartstrings and plenty of people like it. But to put it in the Top 10 Overrated Movies of all time? Man, there are some bored people over at Premier.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Also, having seen the Star Wars trilogy a total of once, I can say that I have no desire ever to see it again.

Are you sure it's not because you are a disenchanted, bitter man with no soul?

I think it's because you are a disenchanted, bitter man with no soul.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Mr. White XDMr. White XD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I think this is grounds for a Jailing :x

Mr. White XD on
    Mr+white+Xd.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

I can't speak to the disenchanted or bitter part, but it's been about ten years since I stopped believing in souls or related paraphanelia.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    aesir wrote:
    wow, what a great list of really good movies. I think I'll go watch some again.

Yeah.

I hate this kind of list. Why some people seem to try to go out of their way to not enjoy something good is beyond me. This entire list is about shitting on good movies that aren't in the authors' personal top twenty.

When I see people hating on movies like LotR, American Beauty, Field of Dreams or Shawshank Redemption, I know they're going into movies to find something to hate instead of trying to find something to enjoy. Movie critics are the worst scum in the entire scummy critic business. I can understand slamming a good movie when it comes out because it's not your thing, but going back and publishing a list of movies millions of people love and then shitting on them because you disagree? That makes you smarmy, snobby, arrogant pricks.

Talka on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    I guess I'm the only person in the world who didn't like any of the Godfather movies.

Yeah, pretty much.
    He liked The Money Pit.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

I can't speak to the disenchanted or bitter part, but it's been about ten years since I stopped believing in souls or related paraphanelia.
    By "soul", I mean that part of you that allows your brain to process emotion and fun. You obviously had some sort of fun-ectomy, and now you drift through life, apathetic in all endeavors.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

I'm actually talking about the new trilogy. And also the ending of Return of the Jedi. Oh, and the rest of the original trilogy. When people tout that they're on their 150th viewings, you can't deny that it's overrated. Go fuck yourself.

Cavil on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

The original Star Wars is just generic sci-fi done well, considering the time in which it was made. It's not exactly a work of genius. It has a lot of flaws, and not liking it isn't exactly an unjustified sentiment.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

By "soul", I mean that part of you that allows your brain to process emotion and fun. You obviously had some sort of fun-ectomy, and now you drift through life, apathetic in all endeavors.
    Oh, right. I forgot that you know everything about me through time, space and infinity.

By reading a handful of forum posts.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

I'm actually talking about the new trilogy. And also the ending of Return of the Jedi. Oh, and the rest of the original trilogy. When people tout that they're on their 150th viewings, you can't deny that it's overrated. Go fuck yourself.

No, no. Good sir. No.
    It's fantastic for it's time. It pioneered special effects.Not to mention it has a good story, and it's just plain fun.

Go fuck yourself.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    WHY wrote:
    august wrote:
    Hoz wrote:
    I guess I'm the only person in the world who didn't like any of the Godfather movies.

Yeah, pretty much.
    He liked The Money Pit.
    Slander.

Hoz on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

FUCK YOU

#14 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Oh, right. I forgot that you know everything about me through time, space and infinity.

Silly me, I forgot you think I care enough to look at anything you've done outside of this thread.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

No, no. Good sir. No.
    It's fantastic for it's time. It pioneered special effects.Not to mention it has a good story, and it's just plain fun.

Go fuck yourself.

Regardless of its accomplishments, it's overrated. So go fuck yourself.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Silly me, I forgot you think I care enough to look at anything you've done outside of this thread.
    No, I don't. That's the point.

What gives you the authority to make judgements about my emotional makeup when you clearly no nothing about me?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Haha, Star Wars gets nerds riled up.

PS I love Star Wars

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:

This seems like somewhat of an oxymoron to me.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

No, no. Good sir. No.

Go fuck yourself.

Regardless of what you think, go fuck yourself

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

What gives you the authority to make judgements about my emotional makeup when you clearly no nothing about me?
    Freedom of speech? We can make any kind of fucking judgements we want. I can make the judgement that you're from Mars. It doesn't have to be true but I can do that. As long as I don't try to base it on lies.

Ok the Mars thing is confusing because that's considered factual information but you get the point.

Hoz on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

No, I don't. That's the point.

I think you;ve proved yourself to be quite bitter at least...

aesir on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I judge that you have no idea what "fun" feels like because you can not differentiate between joking and a real attack.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Cavil wrote:

Oh wait, fuck you.

No, no. Good sir. No.

Go fuck yourself.

Regardless of what you think, go fuck yourself

Regardless of what you think, go fuck yourself.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    RAINBOW FUCK YOUUUU

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The mere fact that it's being so proudly defended only serves to prove the trilogy's overratedness. Oh, and The Empire Strikes Back? Not that great. Wouldn't even count it as one of the best of the Star Wars films.

Cavil on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    The mere fact that it's being so proudly defended only serves to prove the trilogy's overratedness. Oh, and The Empire Strikes Back? Not that great. Wouldn't even count it as one of the best of the Star Wars films.

NOOOO

NOOOO

MELTING

I'M MELTING

Kusuguttai on