As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First attempt at a logo

NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap.Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
hey guys,

This is my first attempt at creating a logo for a company. It's for my sister's PR company called Tuff Love PR.
Here are two first drafts I got.

tufflovetestDRAFT.jpg

tuffloveprotoDRAFT.jpg

For the first one, I'm kind of worried that might be too much detail for a logo, and maybe I should simplify it a bit more and make the main lines a bit thicker.

I'm not sure if I like the font or not on the second one, that is something I could easily change. I really like the idea of the 4 chambers of the heart and spelling out "T-U-F-F" but the execution might need to be revised.

As always, any and all feedback is welcome.

rotate.jpg
PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
Nogs on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the first one could work. Though do the heart in more of a squeeze to accentuate it's shape and swap it to black and white to clean it up a bit. Here's a quick colour swap.

tuff.jpg

The second one, the theory is nice but in practice the heart is too complex and it's a bit too smart for the general population. If it were a medical firm, it would work but for a PR company it's a bit to clinical.

Mustang on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You should consider size scalability when working on these, those designs may have too much detail to appear clear and concise when miniturized. Logos often find themselves on all sorts of material in many different sizes, so consider simplifying to the point where the image almost feels vector.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think you may be jumping ahead of yourself by doing these in such high-quality before making a more finalized idea for the concepts themselves. Where are your sketches? People usually come up with tons of ideas before going through with a few to pick out of (like here).

As of right now neither of them really stand out at me (I think adding that much detail to the fingers for a logo could be detrimental, since usually logos need to be able to look good when small and things like that get lost), but Mustang's got a good suggestion for improving it.:^:

Believe on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    You should consider size scalability when working on these, those designs may have too much detail to appear clear and concise when miniturized. Logos often find themselves on all sorts of material in many different sizes, so consider simplifying to the point where the image almost feels vector.

yeah I figured the fingers had too much detail on them. If it's on a cap or a shrunk down on a webpage it might just look yucky.

When you say "do the heart in more of a squeeze to accentuate it's shape" what exactly do you mean? Make the hand squeeze more so the heart looks like it is bulging out? Or squeeze the heart down wider or narrower to make it look more like a heart?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Believe wrote: »
    Where are your sketches? People usually come up with tons of ideas before going through with a few to pick out of (like here).

I'd write a list of concepts I associate with "Tough love" and see what kind of ideas are born from that. Draw those ideas, see what happens!

EDIT:
    I'd discard both concepts.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Make the hand squeeze more so the heart looks like it is bulging out?

Yup.....but that may look sh*t now that I'm thinking about it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've done a number of logo jobs and the advice i'd give you at this point is to do some serious idea generation. You shouldn't be satisfied until you have at least 30 alternative logos. They don't all have to be brilliant, in fact part of the exercise is to ensure you get rid of the shitty front of mind ideas and find some more creative solutions.

Do this first, narrow down your 30 to your top 5 ideas, then ask for opinions. Ps use a pen, not your computer.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Simplify, simplify, simplify. Your logo needs to work in black and white and be reproduced at small sizes. Also, the two things you have so far aren't really logos, they're icons. I can't tell what the name of the company is from either of those two images. Work with the name of the company and the icons. Make them work together. The icons should serve to grab attention and make the name of the company legible. Like other people said, brainstorm ideas before you work too hard on one. Logos are probably one of the most difficult design jobs you can get. Work hard for it!

NibCrom on