As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

420, Politics and Idiots

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay, so I don't know how it goes down where you live, but here in Winnipeg on April 20 we've got an annual sit in on the front lawn of our legislative buildings. A sit in where people smoke lots of pot. Right there. In front of the cops doing crowd control. And yes the whole 420 thing is stupid but I'll get to that hold your horses.

No one really gets arrested unless they get out of hand, and there's usually a pretty massive crowd of folks who come in, get high, then leave without being accosted by the police at all.

Now I'm pro-pot. I'm for the legalization, taxation, and treatment programs scenario. I think it minimizes the impact of the drug issue more effectively than prohibition does. I don't think it creates a utopian society or that it wouldn't result in a lot of growing pains as society adjusted to the new framework but I think it's less harmful and that for purely pragmatic reasons it's the optimal solution.

Here's my thing though:
Only stoner idiots end up at the leg gettin' high in front of the cops and news cameras. It's ridiculous, it's obnoxious, and it makes everyone involved look like a great big ass.

The prohibition up here isn't enforced for marijuana, only grow ops and traffickers get targetted because grow ops frequently burn down or ruin homes and traffickers are scum anyhow. Anyone caught with small quantities usually just has it confiscated. Sometimes they get to visit the drunk tank for the night. It's not the end of the world.

Basically: There are bigger fish to fry in my town and I fuckin' hate drum circles too. Go home and smoke your dope in private, you know, the way you'd probably have to in any reasonable legalization scenario anyhow.

I'm pheezer, I'm a pot smoker and I can't stand stoners.

What does 420 mean to you

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    What does 420 mean to you

Happy Hitler Day!!!!!*

Also my Dad's birthday. This may or may not be coincidental.

shryke on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm the same way, without the pot smoking; I hate hippies, but my political beliefs often line up with thiers in many respects (except when it comes to war, nuclear energy, guns, and the economy). I think Thanatos said it best when he wrote an article for Limed For The Truth.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I usually remind the idiots that celebrate it as a holiday about exactly who was born on that date. It usually nips their enthusiasm in the bud.

Edit: And shryke beats me to the punch.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well today being 4/20 meant nothing to me other than it's Sunday and I'm going to watch another episode of Doctor Who.

Other than that the idea of 420 means stupid to me. It's like all the pot smokers who want to be like the stereotypical pot smoker from movies climb onto the 420 bandwagon and annoy the hell out of people.

That's just been my experience though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with pot is that it takes unmotivated and aimless young men and turn them into even more unmotivated and aimless young men.....that giggles.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    It does sound like the hippies up there need to go home.

It's a bit different here. Pot is a pretty big deal in this university town. Stupid drunks are a big deal on certain days but pot is the thing you don't really want to get snatched for. It's easy to get out of minor in possession charges (student government's free lawyers are great at that) for alcohol but just about impossible to shake a pot bust.

It's a different story about 75 miles down the road in Ann Arbor, though. The city (not the university) has lenient laws against marijuana, $25 / $50 / $100 for first / second / three plus offenses. Civil infractions, won't be prosecuted.

It depends on where you're at, I guess. Those hippies should come down here and sit outside our city hall.

Satan. on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I'm the same way, without the pot smoking; I hate hippies, but my political beliefs often line up with thiers in many respects (except when it comes to war, nuclear energy, guns, and the economy). I think Thanatos said it best when he wrote an article for Limed For The Truth.

I'd have to disagree with him. Being a hippie is, in and of itself, wrong.

Also, I'm surprised they don't photograph the stoners and compare the pictures to whatever files they might have to make them pay fine or something in the mail.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I usually remind the idiots that celebrate it as a holiday about exactly who was born on that date. It usually nips their enthusiasm in the bud.

Oh man you totally just blew open any arguement here. Marijuana laws and Hitler go together like are you fucking and kidding me. Other than a little giggle on your part, I don't really see how that's a fair attack on what Pheezer was talking about.

Satan. on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

It's a bit different here. Pot is a pretty big deal in this university town. Stupid drunks are a big deal on certain days but pot is the thing you don't really want to get snatched for. It's easy to get out of minor in possession charges (student government's free lawyers are great at that) for alcohol but just about impossible to shake a pot bust.

It's a different story about 75 miles down the road in Ann Arbor, though. The city has lenient laws against marijuana, $25 / $50 / $100 for first / second / three plus offenses. Civil infractions, won't be prosecuted.

It depends on where you're at, I guess. Those hippies should come down here and sit outside our city hall.

Note, for those of you in Ann Arbor, do NOT get caught by the University police, as they enforce the state laws. So do all your pot smoking where the city cops have jurisdiction and not on University property.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    4/20 doesn't mean anything to me, it's not a real date as there are only 12 months in a year.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know about the activist side of it, but there is honestly something to be said for people getting high in large groups. It's like thanksgiving for stoners -- we all come together and share our stuff, hang out, and get very high. I don't really think the day itself matters that much (it could really be on any day), it's mainly about community among pot smokers. Which, I mean, you can disagree with for all kinds of reasons. *shrug*

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

It's a different story about 75 miles down the road in Ann Arbor, though. The city has lenient laws against marijuana, $25 / $50 / $100 for first / second / three plus offenses. Civil infractions, won't be prosecuted.

Note, for those of you in Ann Arbor, do NOT get caught by the University police, as they enforce the state laws. So do all your pot smoking where the city cops have jurisdiction and not on University property.

Edited mine for clarity, I thought I was clear with just 'the city' but yes that needs to be stressed.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know about the activist side of it, but there is honestly something to be said for people getting high in large groups. It's like thanksgiving for stoners -- we all come together and share our stuff, hang out, and get very high. I don't really think the day itself matters that much (it could really be on any day), it's mainly about community among pot smokers. Which, I mean, you can disagree with for all kinds of reasons. *shrug*

Well it was on a Sunday this year. That was kind of nice.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    4/20 doesn't mean anything to me, it's not a real date as there are only 12 months in a year.

Lowsy Smarch weather.

moniker on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well it was on a Sunday this year. That was kind of nice.

Yeap, I ended up getting really high at 4:20 am and then going to sleep and sleeping for like 12 hours.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

Oh man you totally just blew open any arguement here. Marijuana laws and Hitler go together like are you fucking and kidding me. Other than a little giggle on your part, I don't really see how that's a fair attack on what Pheezer was talking about.

Yeah, that shit is just as obnoxious as the hippies are, if not more so. But hey, if it makes you feel clever...

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    G4 and Comedy Central are doing an entire day of pot related movies/things.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

haha

For us it's a day that we treat like any other day. "we" (me and friends) get together at some point and smoke pot. we probably do this 3 times a week, at times that we aren't in school, at work, or with girlfriends/other friends.

I don't get how smoking pot in front of someone/somewhere could in any way help the odds of legalization, but I also don't specifically have a problem with protest and in some sense I guess this is as good a way as any.

I guess... I don't attend political rallied or anything, but I'd do that LONG before I'd get my shit in order enough to smoke pot at a specific time and place, make it that big a deal in my life.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    G4 and Comedy Central are doing an entire day of pot related movies/things.

That doesn't really help the stereotyping much, either. Appreciate the effort, you networks, but damnit.

Satan. on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think this ties into the wider issue a lot of people on this forum have, which is that we're all some variety or another of liberal but tend towards being sensible and concerned with actually getting our ideas accepted by those who may be against us.

The problem with being in this camp though is that a lot of people who otherwise support your position don't understand the latter part of that and happily bandwagon a whole bunch of other issues as integral to their position, and thus simultaneously scare off the whole centrist-average of the population who you need to not scare in order to get anything passed or accepted.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    In that respect, now that I think about it, you guys are sort of like some wings of the LGBT community.

Potheads and homosexuals. Whoda thunk it?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think this ties into the wider issue a lot of people on this forum have, which is that we're all some variety or another of liberal but tend towards being sensible and concerned with actually getting our ideas accepted by those who may be against us.

The problem with being in this camp though is that a lot of people who otherwise support your position don't understand the latter part of that and happily bandwagon a whole bunch of other issues as integral to their position, and thus simultaneously scare off the whole centrist-average of the population who you need to not scare in order to get anything passed or accepted.

Well, yeah, but you really don't need a reason to hate hippies. I mean, they're hippies.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Well, yeah, but you really don't need a reason to hate hippies. I mean, they're hippies.
    Technically it's the pro-communism people who take up residence at the UNSW entrance with "US troops out of South Korea" signs.

On some level you're just supporting a vicious despot.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    In that respect, now that I think about it, you guys are sort of like some wings of the LGBT community.

Apparently MTV Canada.

lunasea on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd just like to point out that BC Bud is superior to all.

That being said, it can get pretty fucking obnoxious here on 4/20. It was kind of a shitty day today (it snowed yesterday), so that put a damper on things, but when the sun is shining all sorts of stoners come out of the wood work and smoke up publicly. In Vancouver it can get really bad, with Marc Emery usually holding a giant pot smoking rally at the art gallery - thousands of people routinely show up for it, too.

I think generally that marijuana should be legalized and taxed, and maybe that's because it's just so common here, and no one really views it as a big deal. I just have an issue with it because I don't smoke and as a result I get fucking nausea from the smell. Which can be a pretty big problem on 4/20, obviously.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    lunasea wrote: »

Apparently MTV Canada.

You know, that's... that's actually a good point. High driving is not for everyone and that doesn't help the political agenda, either.

Satan. on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Apparently MTV Canada.

You know, that's... that's actually a good point. High driving is not for everyone and that doesn't help the political agenda, either.

The message is fine, but they're sitting in a parked car.

lunasea on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It usually nips their enthusiasm in the bud.

Tee hee!

(I'm so sorry.)

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Apparently MTV Canada.

The message is fine, but they're sitting in a parked car.

That's hilarious. Has anyone done the "don't drive stoned, you'll never get there" PSA yet?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Variable wrote: »

haha

For us it's a day that we treat like any other day. "we" (me and friends) get together at some point and smoke pot. we probably do this 3 times a week, at times that we aren't in school, at work, or with girlfriends/other friends.

I don't get how smoking pot in front of someone/somewhere could in any way help the odds of legalization, but I also don't specifically have a problem with protest and in some sense I guess this is as good a way as any.

I guess... I don't attend political rallied or anything, but I'd do that LONG before I'd get my shit in order enough to smoke pot at a specific time and place, make it that big a deal in my life.
    2429684493_5424439db4.jpg

Put 10,000 people on a city block and get them all to light up at once, someone's bound to notice

Azio on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not that I'm against pot, I just get seriously annoyed when it's the only thing somebody gets riled up about. That picture looks like nothing more than a bunch of otherwise apolitical assholes gathered in one place.

In other words: things a grenade or two could fix.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The far left has for a long time been pretty crappy at politics and manipulating the media.

My favourite thing about them.

Duki on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly all 4/20 is to me is an excuse to needle people who do Valentine's and "Sweetest" days, because they're no less silly.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God, all those crooked hats, hoodies, and a girl with a cheek piercing?

Where's Eric Cartmen when you need him?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh god, she does have a cheek piercing.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah the way most pot-heads present themselves doesn't help them any when the time comes to plead their case.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    captmorgancaptmorgan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is it when I look at that picture all I can think of is "Fire grape shot!"

I feel rally s like this are bullshit, you want to get the governments attention. March 200 clean cut people, in tailered suits carrying briefcases into a meeting. Have all the paper work for budget concerns, social impact, policing, taxing structure, extra, extra. Have all the I`s dotted and the T`s crossed.

200 lawyer looking people are far more scarier, than 20 thousand hippies.

captmorgan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    captmorgan wrote: »
    Why is it when I look at that picture all I can think of is "Fire grape shot!"

I feel rally s like this are bullshit, you want to get the governments attention. March 200 clean cut people, in tailered suits carrying briefcases into a meeting. Have all the paper work for budget concerns, social impact, policing, taxing structure, extra, extra. Have all the I`s dotted and the T`s crossed.

200 lawyer looking people are far more scarier, than 20 thousand hippies.
    God fucking damn it, I want to post a simpsons image here and GIS is being most uncooperative. It's the Mr Burns wall-door with 12 high priced lawyers behind it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FroinlaevenFroinlaeven Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

God, that's hot.

Here is Ottawa it's no better. I don't mind the cannabis (I'll have a puff now and then) but stoners are just annoying. For those who do enjoy a big sunny pot party, good for you; go find an empty park and toke up. Don't march your stank through the busiest part of town... some people don't like THC.

Froinlaeven on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

God, that's hot.

Here is Ottawa it's no better. I don't mind the cannabis (I'll have a puff now and then) but stoners are just annoying. For those who do enjoy a big sunny pot party, good for you; go find an empty park and toke up. Don't march your stank through the busiest part of town... some people don't like THC.

Well, actually, there's not really any such thing as a contact-high so much. I mean granted, I don't like the smell of hippies, nor of old-people, but sadly I can't very well kick them out of public spaces for it.

ViolentChemistry on