As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spring into Action Figures!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    That's actually on my Robin wishlist

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some of those toys look like they suck, Keith.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Some of those toys look like they suck, Keith.

they automatically don't because they're robin

note: even with this devotion I still didn't add the movie robin toys to the list

Garlic Bread on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The new DC Universe figures starting showing up in my town. The Supermen are boring looking, almost like those shitty Ed McGuinness DC Directs. The Harley Quinn doesn't look as good as the promotional shots of her, but still better than any chick from the marvel legends line. Firestorm looks rad, one of the few times that I've liked flames sculpted on a figure. They didn't have Aquaman, but Black Manta looked awesome.

The promo pics.

The main downside with Quinn is that her face sculpting and paint aren't as subtle as shown. Her features appear to be sunken in somewhat.

also, keith this is the first time i've seen your avatar correctly. I had originally thought his visible hand was a green highlight on a black mullet...

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Interestingly, the box sets at the con today had all of the accessories.

Non con box sets don't have all the accessories, just the turtles + weapons. What sucks about that is not getting any of the extra hands; I really couldn't care less about the bases, but the lack of hands soured me on the box set.
    The new DC Universe figures starting showing up in my town. The Supermen are boring looking, almost like those shitty Ed McGuinness DC Directs. The Harley Quinn doesn't look as good as the promotional shots of her, but still better than any chick from the marvel legends line. Firestorm looks rad, one of the few times that I've liked flames sculpted on a figure. They didn't have Aquaman, but Black Manta looked awesome.

The promo pics.

The main downside with Quinn is that her face sculpting and paint aren't as subtle as shown. Her features appear to be sunken in somewhat.

also, keith this is the first time i've seen your avatar correctly. I had originally thought his visible hand was a green highlight on a black mullet...

I've got the DCU Quinn. She kinda sucks, to be honest; her face is really blue and her face is flat. Meh.
    Do action figures accrue value at a faster rate than comic books?

This accrued value faster than any comic I've owned, but I'll never sell it.

Bobo on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bobo wrote: »
    Do action figures accrue value at a faster rate than comic books?

This accrued value faster than any comic I've owned, but I'll never sell it.

I have wanted that statue ever since I first laid eyes upon it. Sadly I didn't lay eyes on it until well after release.
    This gives me some comfort for being awesome and Doom, just awesome in a different (and lesser) way.

I love the origins line, just wish the Hulk's face wasn't so terrible. I refuse to buy it for that reason alone.

Accualt on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bobo wrote: »

I've got the DCU Quinn. She kinda sucks, to be honest; her face is really blue and her face is flat. Meh.

Yeah, I noticed that, that's what I meant by sunken facial features, but chick toys usually look a lot shittier.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Strangely, only the Ronny Raymond Firestorm variants are on ebay for now. A lot of them are calling them the "WHITE FACE FIRESTORM VARIANT" which just strikes me as funny.

Lux on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really want to buy a statue, but I know as soon as I get a certain character, I'll change my mind or a better sculpt will come along. That's why I buy toys, instead. 8-)

(But Bobo's Dr. Doom statue looks freaking AMAZING!)

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    My local Wal-Mart put out a shit-load of Dark Knight toys today. I got the "premium" Batman and Joker. Both are FANTASTIC. They even come with little evidence baggies with a Batmask and a Joker card. Highly recommended!

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has anyone picked up any of the Ironman movie figures? If so, impressions?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got the individually packed TMNT first appearance toys. I'm going to make them fight the movie toys.

Bloods End on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i picked up Orion and Lightray from the New Gods line that just came out

i got them for 50% off so i couldnt resist

humble on
    edited May 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up any of the Ironman movie figures? If so, impressions?

I've gotten all the Mark-suits and variants. Mark I is awesome, but very limited articulation. (It works for the armor.) Mark II and III are the same mold. I think they are decent articulation-wise and paint-wise (be careful picking them out). The store-exclusive figures [Target- "Repulsor Prototype" (Silver Centurion) Wal-Mart-"Stealth Iron Man" (War Machine)] have the tightest joints and cleanest paint-jobs. I haven't gotten Iron Monger yet. (I'm waiting for the one with opening cockpit). Plus there is a Titanium Man coming soon!

Over all, I recommend any of them.

(Posed 8-))
    VVVVV
    ironmen.jpg

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Nice, thanks for the impressions. I really wanted to pick up Mark III and Monger but I too might wait for the series 2 Monger with the cockpit.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, I love Titanium Man! I love every evil Russian counterpart.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008
    If you're only getting one, I highly recommend War Machine. (Especially since Walmart isn't known for keeping their pegs stocked.) I forgot to mention that Mark II, Silver Centurion, and Red n' Gold all come with attachable guns, but I stashed those away (mark II comes with two). Also, all of the armors come with clear projectiles that look like a rocket being fired.

Here's a pic of Titanium Man
    titaniumman.jpg

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I picked up Mark III a little while ago, pretty nice, could have been a little cheaper but everything is more expensive right now.

Overall I'd say it's a B in the class of just standard figures of this scale. I had to compare it with several before I found one with a a clean paint job, they were real inconsistent. I'm glad I did though because the first one I picked up was really messy around the joints.

Articulation is decent, joints are tight on mine which I like. However no articulation on the head and the elbow joints kind of detracts from it all. I can easily see a kid breaking Tony at the elbow with rougher play.

He looks good though, I'm not disappointed, but it could be better with a few changes.

Now I'm just going to wait and find Opening Hatch Monger.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Titanium Man looks gross.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008
    I kind of like him. The Sickle on his chest is a nice touch.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    shimsham what is your definition of "rougher play" in terms of action figures

because I know as a kid that we broke some ninja turtles toys by trying to throw them over a roof onto cement pretending they were ninja jumping or some shit

it was okay because we figured out how to put them back together pretty quick

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    shimsham what is your definition of "rougher play" in terms of action figures

because I know as a kid that we broke some ninja turtles toys by trying to throw them over a roof onto cement pretending they were ninja jumping or some shit

it was okay because we figured out how to put them back together pretty quick
    Yeah Ninja Turtles could easily be put back together, I made so many abominations by switching body parts. I don't know exactly how I'd define rough play. I don't think a fall would hurt the elbow, but too much pressure in the wrong direction can stretch, bend or break that type of joint. I realize that's the case with just about any joint, but with this type it just feels like it'd be the easiest to screw up.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    why has no one brought up the New Gods figures

because they are fuckawesome and everyone needs them now

Sars_Boy on
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    why has no one brought up the New Gods figures

because they are fuckawesome and everyone needs them now

Yeah, I want them. They look awesome.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    I agree

Garlic Bread on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    X gets a square!

august on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like this.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hahahahah what

Sars_Boy on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i brought up the new gods figures

they are fucking sweet

humble on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've bought two Aquaman figures in the last two months. I never thought I'd end up saying that about that character. First the Armored one from Our Worlds at War and now the DC Super-Heroes one. Two pretty awesome Aquaman figures.

ZombieAsuma on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BUt still Aquaman.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who is awesome.

Bloods End on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aquaman's a pretty neat character whenever its under a writer who actually understands his power set.

ZombieAsuma on
    edited May 2008
    The wife and I watched the episode of Smallville last night with Aquaman in it.

Man, that show is so terrible but we can't stop watching it. It's like Prometheus' punishment in mortal form.

Accualt on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    edited May 2008
    nomnomnomnom

Apocalypse looks pretty cheerful, as well.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OH MY GOD THEY HAVE A SENTRY

Wildcat on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Adorable World War Hulk!

7842020e2308_Main400.jpg

JoeUser on
    edited May 2008
    THQ is making a video game based around those characters.

I'm guessing their version of Lego Star Wars.

Accualt on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Black Bolt reminds me of a Goblin Doom Diver in that pose.

Wildcat on
This discussion has been closed.