As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Installation woes for my new video card.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Look! It's me again!
Soooo.

Installed the new video card.

RADEON X800 PRO/GTO.
Yeaa.
I installed the drivers off the nice shiny cd they gave me, after uninstalling my Nvidia 6600.

"Windows explorer has encountered an error and needs to shut down"

Any help?

Rizzi on

• robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Doing a fresh install would most likely solve your problem, but if you don't like that idea then you can try booting into safe mode and using Driver Cleaner Pro to remove whatever was left over by forceware.

Also: download the newest catalysts from ATI as the CD ones are probably ancient.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I tried the safe mode option.
    Now windows loads and doesnt crash.
    But it takes ages to load and I tried to alt+tab out of a program and the screen went black before flickering to the desktop.
    Weird..

I'd do a fresh install, but I have stuff I cant back-up. No burner. :(

Rizzi on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, I can click on the icon for Catalyst Control Center, and it doesn't load.

Rizzi on
  • robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You could also try a repair installation, though uninstalling catalysts+using driver cleaner pro and reinstalling catalysts should work.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."