As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah. There seems to be a concept in mind that would make this part one of a trilogy. From what I understand, the same goes for Nolan's Batman movies (maybe a fourth). But it is all contingent on it making money. Really, Marvel Studios needs this movie to make a fuckton of cash to pay for the $150M+ cost of Iron Man alone in an economy where discretionary and ... entertainment spending could just crash. Not dramatically in the next two weeks, but it's definitely not something to blow off.

Crimsondude on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually I believe the studies often show that when "times are tight" generally entertainment spending goes up while all other purchases go down (i.e. home, car and other more 'essential' goods)

smokmnky on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, most often the entertainment industry still flourishes even in economic downtime.

Vann Diras on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I just saw that Shia LaBoeuf is rumored to be playing Yorick in the Y: The Last Man movie.

Which means I hate Hollywood even more now.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shia LeBouf doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just hasn't been in a single movie i can stand, yet.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah. There seems to be a concept in mind that would make this part one of a trilogy. From what I understand, the same goes for Nolan's Batman movies (maybe a fourth). But it is all contingent on it making money. Really, Marvel Studios needs this movie to make a fuckton of cash to pay for the $150M+ cost of Iron Man alone in an economy where discretionary and ... entertainment spending could just crash. Not dramatically in the next two weeks, but it's definitely not something to blow off.
    Most people involved have said that this iteration of Batman is planned to be a trilogy, and that's it (for the forseeable future). Iron Man probably has a similar plan, but like Nolan and Goyer, they're taking things one step at a time and trying to make each film as complete as possible before even considering a follow-up. One would think this approach would be common sense, but we lost it for a while.

Torso Boy on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shia LeBouf doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just hasn't been in a single movie i can stand, yet.
    I don't really have a problem with him or his work, but to me, he actually kind of does.

Torso Boy on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A really think a Captain America movie could have been huge around the D-day anniversary, when World War Two stuff was huge.

DouglasDanger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/205424.html

Why is the Spirit in black and white? He was color in the archives I read.

Bloods End on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Is that look just for the trailer or are they using the same style as Sin City throughout? The rooftop acrobatics look kind of goofy. He's a detective, he's not a ninja.

DMAC on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    That's the style they're using

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    If they're going to go highly stylized like that, it would have been nice if they'd come up with something different that suits the character instead of just doing Sin City 1.5.

DMAC on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I don't really have a problem with him or his work, but to me, he actually kind of does.

Yeah, he seems like kind of a prick to me, too. I can't fathom why he's hollywood's new it-boy.

I will also never get over the fact that about 3/5ths of the transformers movie was just him doing lame situation comedy, with another fifth being poor acting and failed humor from other characters, and the last fifth being half-decent robot action.

HadjiQuest on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    If they're going to go highly stylized like that, it would have been nice if they'd come up with something different that suits the character instead of just doing Sin City 1.5.

FRANK MILLER

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2008
    Girls like the Shia, and there's nothing we can do about that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    So I just saw that Shia LaBoeuf is rumored to be playing Yorick in the Y: The Last Man movie.

Which means I hate Hollywood even more now.

o_O He seems pretty perfect for the role to me... And hasn't his name been attached to the project since day one?

Sharp101 on
    edited April 2008

FRANK MILLER

I think that's what's rubbing me the wrong way with the trailer/poster. Sin City was Robert Rodriguez doing a tribute to Frank Miller's Sin City. The Spirit looks like Frank Miller doing a tribute to Frank Miller using Will Eisner's character.

DMAC on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Spirit looks awful.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The Spirit looks awful.

Since when could The Spirit pull off rooftop jumping like Dare Devil?

Algertman on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The style is simply the opposite of what The Spirit should be

In every way.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

FRANK MILLER

I think that's what's rubbing me the wrong way with the trailer/poster. Sin City was Robert Rodriguez doing a tribute to Frank Miller's Sin City. The Spirit looks like Frank Miller doing a tribute to Frank Miller using Will Eisner's character.

Pretty much this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone really think that the Avengers and JLA live-action films could ever really work?

I mean, they'll cost more, but I don't expect they'll actually make more just because they're delivering 7 super-heroes instead of one.

Basically, I'm expecting colossal failure unless you're willing to deliver Lord of the Rings style epicness.

Robos A Go Go on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    seriously, where is my dick tracy

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Watchmen movie toys

They actually don't look bad. I guess Nite Owl's costume is a lighter brown than that promo movie shot makes it look

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fact: If you purchase Watchmen merchandise you will be visited by a vengeful sasquatch in the middle of the night.

And that sasquatch is named Alan Moore.

Munch on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone really think that the Avengers and JLA live-action films could ever really work?

I mean, they'll cost more, but I don't expect they'll actually make more just because they're delivering 7 super-heroes instead of one.

Basically, I'm expecting colossal failure unless you're willing to deliver Lord of the Rings style epicness.

They could work if they get the budget and aren't just TV movie quality stuff using models and rookies as their acting leads.

No reason it has to be harder to do than X-Men or Fantastic Four.
    Other than Doom and the lack of G-Man I liked Fantastic Four >.>

Scooter on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone tried the Iron Man demo on the 360?

It captures the feeling of Tony being drunk, putting the armor on and flying around pretty well.

Kyougu on
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

They could work if they get the budget and aren't just TV movie quality stuff using models and rookies as their acting leads.

The difference is that Avengers and JLA are made up of characters that are, for the most part, each more well-suited for starring roles in their own pictures than parts in an ensemble picture. That wasn't the case with X-Men or Fantastic Four.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The difference is that Avengers and JLA are made up of characters that are, for the most part, each more well-suited for starring roles in their own pictures than parts in an ensemble picture. That wasn't the case with X-Men or Fantastic Four.

That doesn't even make sense.

You think audiences are clamoring for a fucking Hawkeye movie?

I think that a JLA movie will be the hardest to do, and the chances of it ever coming out are slim to none... I think Avengers will be pretty easy to pull off.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So the 10th Annual Ebertfest is this week. The point of the thing is...
    As film exhibition in North America crowds itself ever more
    narrowly into predictable commercial fodder for an undemanding audience, we applaud those brave, free spirits who still hold
    faith with the unlimited potential of the cinema. - Roger Ebert

Guess what is showing?
    Hulk
    (Saturday, April 26, 2008, at 11am)

Ang Lee is a guest speaker, I guess they talk after the film. Color me interested.
    I really liked the hell out of the Hulk movie. I know it doesn't have a ton of fans around here but, whatever. Other than the convulted ending the movie was great. It favored the heart of the Hulk comics instead of the famous smashing and for that I am thankful. I like a great HULK SMASH moment as much as anyone but I appreciate that Ang decided to make a serious comic book movie instead of doing what everyone else has, make an FX heavy popcorn flix with no attempt at making a great, long standing movie. I might try and go to this thing.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

I think that a JLA movie will be the hardest to do, and the chances of it ever coming out are slim to none... I think Avengers will be pretty easy to pull off.

My point is that the studios have a choice of making a movie about the Avengers and making sequels to films starring Iron Man, Captain America, and everyone else who will compose the Avengers roster. The Avengers movie costs more in every conceivable way than a solo picture, assuming they don't replace the Robert Downey Juniors with unknowns and bring the special effects down a notch, but doesn't necessarily stand to make more just because it's got a ton of characters in it. So, the Avengers movie represents a greater risk that doesn't really offer proportional potential gains, and I don't really understand why anyone would be willing to make an Avengers picture instead of another sequel to a solo picture given that.

This problem isn't raised by films like Fantastic Four and X-Men, meanwhile, because those teams aren't made up of individually viable properties or, in the case of Wolverine, properties that would have been viable from the get go.

Now that Wolverine is viable on his own, though, they're making a Wolverine solo movie. Do you think this is because Wolverine is somehow better than the X-Men featuring Wolverine, or simply because a Wolverine picture is cheaper to make but still stands to garner significant, and perhaps even equivalent, profits?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

My point is that the studios have a choice of making a movie about the Avengers and making sequels to films starring Iron Man, Captain America, and everyone else who will compose the Avengers roster. The Avengers movie costs more in every conceivable way than a solo picture, assuming they don't replace the Robert Downey Juniors with unknowns and bring the special effects down a notch, but doesn't necessarily stand to make more just because it's got a ton of characters in it. So, the Avengers movie represents a greater risk that doesn't really offer proportional potential gains, and I don't really understand why anyone would be willing to make an Avengers picture instead of another sequel to a solo picture given that.

This problem isn't raised by films like Fantastic Four and X-Men, meanwhile, because those teams aren't made up of individually viable properties or, in the case of Wolverine, properties that would have been viable from the get go.

Now that Wolverine is viable on his own, though, they're making a Wolverine solo movie. Do you think this is because Wolverine is somehow better than the X-Men featuring Wolverine, or simply because a Wolverine picture is cheaper to make but still stands to garner significant, and perhaps even equivalent, profits?

I really don't see the cost differential between having a big name actor like Downey (so to speak) and a bunch of unknowns and b-listers, and X-Men which had Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen, or Fantastic Four which had Jessica Alba.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2008
    The JLA film wouldn't be cast entirely with television stars and unknowns if you could just use Brandon Routh, Christian Bale, and other relatively big names and expect to stay within budget. So, the choice is to either pay more or save up by going with a worse cast.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    So the 10th Annual Ebertfest is this week. The point of the thing is...
    As film exhibition in North America crowds itself ever more
    narrowly into predictable commercial fodder for an undemanding audience, we applaud those brave, free spirits who still hold
    faith with the unlimited potential of the cinema. - Roger Ebert

Guess what is showing?
    Hulk
    (Saturday, April 26, 2008, at 11am)

Ang Lee is a guest speaker, I guess they talk after the film. Color me interested.
    I really liked the hell out of the Hulk movie. I know it doesn't have a ton of fans around here but, whatever. Other than the convulted ending the movie was great. It favored the heart of the Hulk comics instead of the famous smashing and for that I am thankful. I like a great HULK SMASH moment as much as anyone but I appreciate that Ang decided to make a serious comic book movie instead of doing what everyone else has, make an FX heavy popcorn flix with no attempt at making a great, long standing movie. I might try and go to this thing.

every time it's on tv (which is like all the time), it's worth watching until exactly when they calm him down in san francisco.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Watchmen movie toys

They actually don't look bad. I guess Nite Owl's costume is a lighter brown than that promo movie shot makes it look

I hope they get the Rorschach figure's smell right.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I played the demo for the Iron Man 360 game. It looks like Superman Returns has a contender for worst game of all time.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah... it's pretty bad.

Some of the flying is cool.... but the hover animations are just the same as that scene in the trailer where he flies for the first time and looks uncomfortable. The targeting is non-existant, the hud is horrible (I didn't even notice where the health bar was...) and the demo mission is just "Blow up these 6 boxes".

Oh, but the Iron Man Character model is cool. I guess.

Sharp101 on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I am clamoring for a Hawkeye movie

humble on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I played the demo for the Iron Man 360 game. It looks like Superman Returns has a contender for worst game of all time.

Dammit, I was looking forward to this one!

Wildcat on
  • Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So....anyone feeling creative?

I'm sure we got some talented people here.

Cojo Mojo on
This discussion has been closed.