As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EvE General Discussion

• GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it true that you can fly anywhere in 0.0 space as far as you want? IE: Is space actually endless in EVE?

I heard a story one time that some russian players flew out to some uncharted region for like 4 months and then came back all super powerful and started taking over the known space. Did that actually happen?

Yes, yes it did.

EDIT: Damnit Pezzle

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I heard a story one time that some russian players flew out to some uncharted region for like 4 months and then came back all super powerful and started taking over the known space. Did that actually happen?
    What you're thinking of is this: A couple years ago some Russians called Red Alliance were at war with a bunch of other alliances calling themselves The Southern Coalition. The SC was pretty much incompetent, but they outnumbered the Reds about ten to one, so after a long time they finally ground RA down to one last system. There was a huge siege, but the Russians held on and the SC fell back with huge losses. RA started pushing back and retaking their territory, and at one point killed about a dozen enemy dreadnoughts, which at the time was the most expensive loss in history in one battle. A few months later Goonswarm allied with the Reds and together proceeded to stomp all over the SC and conquer about a third of Eve

runaway_pancake on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What you're thinking of is this: A couple years ago some Russians called Red Alliance were at war with a bunch of other alliances calling themselves The Southern Coalition. The SC was pretty much incompetent, but they outnumbered the Reds about ten to one, so after a long time they finally ground RA down to one last system. There was a huge siege, but the Russians held on and the SC fell back with huge losses. RA started pushing back and retaking their territory, and at one point killed about a dozen enemy dreadnoughts, which at the time was the most expensive loss in history in one battle. A few months later Goonswarm allied with the Reds and together proceeded to stomp all over the SC and conquer about a third of Eve

Interesting! All the intricacies of the politics and system takeover are fascinating to me. I love how it's this ongoing war with attrition and front lines and all.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    you know those guys that superman sealed into a square and threw into space after using his super-S saran wrap? You can find them near the eve gate. If you don't know what the eve gate is. Its this unique jump gate structure that doesn't do anything, but if you click on it, you get this "Explorer" in game title. You can't warp to the gate, unfortunately. If you want the title, you have to manually fly to the actual structure. Don't go AFK while flying to it either. Nothing sucks more that trying to reach the eve gate and then over shooting it (Its on a retardedly small grid).

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2008
    I've never heard of no Eve Gate.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    What, if anything, are electronic attack frigates used for? I have the prereqs all trained, and it's a more tactical breed of ship so it's somewhat in keeping with what I like to fly. All of the bonuses apply to target jamming ... so that's their forte, then?

In most environments, the tech 2 ships are pretty good at loosing you ISK when they die just as horribly as a much cheaper ship - UNLESS - you're in a small gang and are hunting a few people here or there. When you are keeping the primary target from targeting/shooting/having capacitor they go down pretty fast and you're a hero.

But in a fleet battle, they're 99% useless. There are just too many ships and the specialized ones people sit in get called out first to be nuked. Unless you're a Covops, Heavy Dictor, or Dictor, nothing else really matters most of the time. Regular tech one cruisers or frigates are great for gate camping the system you're in to keep the main fleet of BS/BCs or Dreads/Carriers from doing the POS warfare damage.

My $0.02, but I can't fly any tech 2 ships yet. Been doing the tech 2 gun thing which gives a regular ship class a lot more to do.

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Hm. So, keeping my Caracal (or two, I think I have a second one somewhere for some reason) around is a good idea? I have almost a million points in missiles, it could probably put a 'dent' in other frigate/cruiser-class ships. ;O

So, for my eventual stable of ships ... Buzzard, Caracal, and Blackbird for CovOps, generic combat, and EW funtime/throwing money into a pit respectively?

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »

So you have heard of it?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hm. So, keeping my Caracal (or two, I think I have a second one somewhere for some reason) around is a good idea? I have almost a million points in missiles, it could probably put a 'dent' in other frigate/cruiser-class ships. ;O

So, for my eventual stable of ships ... Buzzard, Caracal, and Blackbird for CovOps, generic combat, and EW funtime/throwing money into a pit respectively?

before you get into t2 ships your going to want to be able to fly a good skilled ratting battleship so you can afford those t2 ships.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited April 2008
    I have 100m ISK lying around, am I going to need more than that?

Oboro on
    words
  • DatamancerDatamancer Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    So i've been thinking of trying out Eve Online, can anyone give me advice?

Time sinks?

Little tid bits that'd help?

Datamancer on
    edited April 2008

100m isn't that much isk.

Foomy on
    edited April 2008
    Foomy wrote: »

It's more than most people who haven't done a single thing outside of Empire space except get pod-killed and end up back in Empire space because they didn't understand clones have. ;)

I wasn't asking if it was 'that much,' just if it was enough to skip the proposed step of 'train a battleship and go ratting before you jump into PvPlayer ops.'

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2008
    Foomy wrote: »

It's more than most people who haven't done a single thing outside of Empire space except get pod-killed and end up back in Empire space because they didn't understand clones have. ;)

I wasn't asking if it was 'that much,' just if it was enough to skip the proposed step of 'train a battleship and go ratting before you jump into PvPlayer ops.'

I said a battleship before t2 ships not before pvp.

most noobs in pvp fly tacklers, so cheap frigs where your job is yo go and keep the more expensive stuff from running away.

from there you move onto cruisers, though theres only a few that are any good use for pvp (blackbirds being of that)

than you use t2 sniping battleships after that. or dictors,hacs,inties if you want to go the t2 route.

also if your getting more skills and shit before applying to merch don't wait, just app now, we get 2 hour old noob chars out the 0.0, making good cash and going on ops right away. and helping and explaining shit to people is so much faster live

Foomy on
    edited April 2008
    I'd rather not app to Merch right now not because of the skills issue but because of the fact I don't really have the time to dedicate to playing and sticking on for ops. When I have the time to sit and dedicate myself to whatever's going on, then I'll app -- for now, though, I'm mostly just logging in to change skills.

Also you contradict what the other guy said (in parts) on the ship stuff so I'm just going to skill for the ships I want to fly and, like I said, have a stable of ships that I know how to outfit/fly at any given moment. I'm not saying I'm going to have them all docked somewhere, but I'll have the outfittings saved in EFT and I'll be ready to toss them together and play them whenever.

And I don't see why I'd do battleship before t2 ships since I already have skills for anything except Interceptors on the t2 frigate line. I'm just doing the support skills for those t2 ships that I want to fly. ;P

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2008
    Just join Merch god dammit. Any amount of Eve that is played actively and not in a player corporation is complete shit. Also, most Eve played in a player corporation that is not Merch Industrial is complete shit and you should be in that corporation for only so long as it takes to steal and scam everything not requiring a vote to acquire. If you're good at scamming, you get all the locked down stuff too.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    Just join Merch god dammit. Any amount of Eve that is played actively and not in a player corporation is complete shit. Also, most Eve played in a player corporation that is not Merch Industrial is complete shit and you should be in that corporation for only so long as it takes to steal and scam everything not requiring a vote to acquire. If you're good at scamming, you get all the locked down stuff too.

QFT

ops aren't manditory, and we don't care how often someone is online or how much time they have.

just app already, and than ignore eve except for skill changes like the other 90% of us do.

Foomy on
    edited April 2008
    Except last time, I got kicked for being inactive! Whoops!

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2008
    but on a more serious note k omw

EDIT: bam! app'd

Oboro on
    words
    edited April 2008
    Except last time, I got kicked for being inactive! Whoops!

eh, inactive purges only happen every like 3months or so.

and thats if your really inactive, like you haven't logged in at all

Foomy on
  • -CV--CV- Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There will always be somebody bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled.

There is no such thing as a fair fight.

Trickery and lag will always overcome skill and planning.

Pillage, then Burn.

There are no ultimate truths.

Welcome aboard, I look forward to podding you. :)

-CV- on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah make sure you post about absences or you will get kicked.

For those of us that are lactose intolerant, I found that two oranges, 2 tbsp vanilla, 4 sugar cubes, and about a cup of soy milk is remarkably similar to an orange julius. Discuss.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • PezzlePezzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Providence area general update:

With the withdrawal of SF and company (some weeks ago). Providence has temporarily moved out of the territory displacement phase. We have still seen attacks from AAA and various Coalition (is there still a Coalition?) forces. Most recently with AAA attacking IAC we have seen increased pressures and patrols. From my perspective it looked as though RA was flying interference in Providence during an AAA op in Catch. I could be wrong but both groups had operations going in the area at the time. More recently we have seen TCF hit the area in good numbers looking for fleet fights.

Now, for those of you keeping score at home TCF was not KOS until recently. Everything was going just swimmingly until a comment was made about Manchester United 1*

The situation broke down and there has been shooting since. This conflict has been pronounced in the last 3 days with large groups of TCF coming to the area. It is my guess they are here for some old fashioned shooting. For groups that shoot each other we get along well enough, no garbage in local or insults or tower warfare. I think a total of one carrier was used in some way in the last week. Both sides seem to be happy enough.

Down in Catch fighting continues between AAA and IAC. I heard IAC knocked an AAA jump bridge offline and maybe reinforced a tower or two. I dunno.

1* Lies. If I had to guess it was the NRDS thing we are so uptight about. That is just my opinion, I really do not know the reason.

Pezzle on
  • EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wohoo. Eve and stuff. I miss the action already. I should probably get back into it at some point.

Energeno on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Eve gate is so purdy. Also all the marker cans are a nice touch. Or were a nice touch :(

marty_0001 on
    edited April 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    Gihgehls wrote: »

So you have heard of it?

Never.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I did a few quests in WoW like a year ago. I got extremely bored.

I've done a few quests in EVE just in the past three days. I'm having a lot of fun.

Yay!

Regicid3 on
    edited April 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I did a few quests in WoW like a year ago. I got extremely bored.

I've done a few quests in EVE just in the past three days. I'm having a lot of fun.

Yay!

Please tell us how EVE missions are better than WoW quests. I am curious. And on a completely unrelated tangent, do you enjoy torture?

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited April 2008
    I have absolutely no idea. I'm just enjoying myself a lot more, it's unexplainable.

So, these are the things I want to do:

Be small and quick in PvP battles.
    Use drones.
    Build shit

Will I be stretching myself out too much?

Regicid3 on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Train for interceptors, because regardless of which race, assault frigates cost way too much for what they do.

Fast, small, fairly survivable in fights and always needed.

Gallente use drones, you'll like the vexor/ishtar/dominix most likely.

Production is "fun" once you get yourself setup, but that takes several million depending on the blueprint you need. Peruse the markets and see if you can find a niche in a trade hub.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's talk about how awesome the Vexor is.

[Vexor, T2 Gank]
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
    Overdrive Injector System II

Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive
    J5 Prototype Warp Inhibitor I
    X5 Prototype I Engine Enervator

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M
    Heavy Ion Blaster II, Void M
    [empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]

Ogre II x2
    Hammerhead II x2
    Hobgoblin II x1

EFT says with my crappy gunnery skills (can't use those guns yet), that I can get 498 dps with that setup. Obviously, it blows up pretty quick and is range limited, but it's meant for ganged gate camps where a T1 cruiser will get ignored initially. Is there any other T1 cruiser, when set up exclusively for gank, no tank, that can break 400 dps?

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • SpuzSpuz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sure. As an example:

[Thorax, New Setup 1]
    Reactor Control Unit I
    Tracking Enhancer II

10MN MicroWarpdrive II
    Stasis Webifier II
    Warp Scrambler II

[empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]

Hammerhead II x5

EFT shows me as having 571 dps with this setup. It's pretty fitting skill intensive though, and I prefer to keep my t1 cruiser setups cheap and disposable.

Spuz on
    steam_sig.png
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Vexor is pretty awesome. I used one to first place in the JihadSwarm one week, before running out of sec status.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    So, I manufactured my first goods today. Before I actually did anything though, I worked out the pricing of all the materials and the cost-per-unit from blueprint acquisition and renting the factory plot. I wrote this all on an index card.

After I finished it, though, I realized it was just theoretical values. I took a red marker and wrote VOID on the index card before depositing it in the small box which is now my production runs record box.

This is what EVE is to me.

Oboro on
    words
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I manufactured my first goods today. Before I actually did anything though, I worked out the pricing of all the materials and the cost-per-unit from blueprint acquisition and renting the factory plot. I wrote this all on an index card.

After I finished it, though, I realized it was just theoretical values. I took a red marker and wrote VOID on the index card before depositing it in the small box which is now my production runs record box.

This is what EVE is to me.
    If you plan on being a serious industrialist you should really graduate from pen-and-paper to something electronic. Back when I ran MerchI we used giant excel spreadsheets to calculate manufacturing costs and track member orders. Bonus points if you can make it account for your character skills and BP research level.

runaway_pancake on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Razor Titan downed in the North by Insurgency and TRI

http://triumvirate-alliance.com/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=129274

November Fifth on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, I already do everything electronically, but keeping true carbon copy is one of the joys I take in life. It's been this way for every MMO I've ever played -- everything is meticulously put to true paper, using only the best ultra-fine point pens and only the most appropriate ledgers and organizational methods.

It is what I treasure most. <3

Oboro on
    words
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Are you guys still playing EVE? Whoa! Is munkus playing eve? When did that start? I'm not sure what happened, I just stopped playing sometime last December or January. I presume I've been kicked form the corp by now. What is the new big thing?

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited April 2008
    Wait, so you can go to the EVE gate?

Regicid3 on
    edited April 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Wait, so you can go to the EVE gate?

It appears you can go to the site of it, but there is no object. Just a shiny background you don't see in other places.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.