As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic:TG vs WoW TCG

MikeC_81MikeC_81 Registered User new member
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
Hi, is anyone a regular tournament player of either or both games?

I am looking at starting in a competitive card game and was wondering which of these 2 big boys to get. Things I am looking for are good balance, especially at high levels of play, and a relatively low rock, paper, scissors syndrome in terms of deck building. IE I don't want to play a game where there is a lot of Deck A autoloses to Deck B, but autowins against Deck C.

I don't mind a strong element of chance but I hate rock paper scissors metagames.

Any recommendations as to which game is better suited for me?

MikeC_81 on

• Options
    FFTARoxorz05FFTARoxorz05 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WoW is 80% magic, the only difference being you have a card as the player instead of just 20 life and you have armor and such. WoW has so many cards directly from MTG that it kinda died out here to the "I'll just play MTG" logic.

I played both for a while, especially since it was easier to win WoW tournaments than MTG, but I can't play a game that no one else plays so I just play MTG these days.

FFTARoxorz05 on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yep. Magic's got the biggest marketshare and a huge library of unique cards. Highest production values, sturdy materials used in card manufacturing, etc.

It's also intensely strategic and pretty customizable. Homebrew formats are a huge draw alongside competitive play

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hard to argue with history.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yep. Magic's got the biggest marketshare

Um.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't had it for a while, lost it to Yu-Gi-Oh several years back.

Not saying that YGO's a *good* game... but just pointing out that biggest != best.
    WoW has so many cards directly from MTG that it kinda died out here to the "I'll just play MTG" logic.

That's... probably the worst excuse to not play something I've ever heard. Oh, no, I might pay two resources to do two damage to something, that's such a MTG rip-off.

Please.

Magic fans really need to pull their head out of their arses. Yes, Magic was the first. Of *course* you can try to make parallels to it. Doesn't make it true.

Back to the OP, couldn't tell you. Havn't touched Magic in years, and have no inclination to since there's better things out there that fit my play-style better. Havn't really had the motivation to see what the local tournament metascene's like anymore, especially since all the local Magic players are of the raging fratboy douchebag variety. From looking at the past, neither is really "better" at the balance thing, although I think there's enough of a spread of cards out for WoW that any of the classes can compete at tournaments. Some decktypes/classes might be a bit harder to win with than others (Hunter ally decks have always been very good, rogues have had trouble winning against any class that can throw around healing...), but everything's at least got a good chance.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    yep. Magic's got the biggest marketshare

Um.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't had it for a while, lost it to Yu-Gi-Oh several years back.

Not saying that YGO's a *good* game... but just pointing out that biggest != best.
    WoW has so many cards directly from MTG that it kinda died out here to the "I'll just play MTG" logic.

That's... probably the worst excuse to not play something I've ever heard. Oh, no, I might pay two resources to do two damage to something, that's such a MTG rip-off.

Please.

Magic fans really need to pull their head out of their arses. Yes, Magic was the first. Of *course* you can try to make parallels to it. Doesn't make it true.

Back to the OP, couldn't tell you. Havn't touched Magic in years, and have no inclination to since there's better things out there that fit my play-style better. Havn't really had the motivation to see what the local tournament metascene's like anymore, especially since all the local Magic players are of the raging fratboy douchebag variety. From looking at the past, neither is really "better" at the balance thing, although I think there's enough of a spread of cards out for WoW that any of the classes can compete at tournaments. Some decktypes/classes might be a bit harder to win with than others (Hunter ally decks have always been very good, rogues have had trouble winning against any class that can throw around healing...), but everything's at least got a good chance.

Calm down! We're only talking about card games here. I'm sorry some people like a particular game played with printed-on pieces of cardboard better than another game that you like better?

Anyway I believe he was saying it has the biggest marketshare among the two choices mentioned by the OP, those being WoW TCG and Magic, which, though I haven't seen the numbers, is almost certainly true. Doesn't make it a better game necessarily, but it does mean a few other things.

One is that you are much more likely to find a good local tournament/casual play group for Magic than you are for WoW, simply because many more exist.

Another is that the game has been studied and written about more, meaning you will be able to glean a lot of info online for good deck ideas, proper competitive play, etc. This also means you will probably run into a lot more netdecks. It also means that at the competitive level people are really, really good at the game. Many of them have played it/studied it for years.

Another nice thing about Magic is the fact that you have Magic Online, which is a great way to test decks, play in tournaments, etc. The downside to this is that the cards still cost real money, but you can get a game going anytime and it's nice to not have to go into a tournament with a deck you've never played competitively with before. There are also non-official, free ways to play Magic and probably WoW TCG as well online.

PuddingSenator on