As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is probably a terrible idea

Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hatsSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
I just had an idea. Weather permitting..

Crosscity Superwalk

superwalk.png

It could rain.

Also, you'd have to live pretty close, depending on how in-shape you are..

Bicycles count, if you have one.
People who live in Queen Anne don't count. Because nobody likes you!

I just have this image in my head of a large flock of nerds slowly walking up Madison.

Obviously not all three days, just Friday.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
Monkey Ball Warrior on

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I was planning on biking anyway. I live near the Jefferson Park Golf Course, at the bottom of the map there. I'm planning on riding down 15th, which becomes 12th, then taking a left down Pike.

And the course for coming from the south is a terrible idea. :)

Doc on
  • Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If I got in shape this summer, I'd have a pretty straight walk, coming from Madison Park.
    I have a friend, and if he comes to PAX, he might just be crazy enough to do this

Ty1012 on
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

:P

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    if it happens wallingford i be down (plus 2?)

s7arbuck on
  • BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm doing CCST, but if i lived in Seattle, I'd totally do this.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I walked probably about 10 miles at pax, not counting the actual convention space. Got lost a few times, etc etc.

I could handle something like this, if I wasn't gonna be close to the center anyways.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If the CCSW happens at 7:45ish on Friday morning, I'm down for joining at Capitol Hill.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I walked from 9th Ave NE & 45th St NE to round about 24th Ave E and E Lynn once... just that was brutal. And that was only two miles actual (straight line is 1.67). No way I'd walk 5 miles as the crow flies.

Crazy hippies. Besides I live in Federal Way.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Something that might be a bit easier to do/organize would maybe be like a walk from the convention to pike place market, down the water front, and then back up along 3rd? that way it shouldn't really matter about the weather, people can get a little food at the market, non-seattlites can see some sights, and we can still do a tour-de-nerdforce. and also, if it is a nice day out, too much sun on that many geeks could result in some serious sunburns for the rest of con. not to mention the glare off of the pale flesh.

unless of course that overlaps with some other PAX event that might be going on that I don't know about.

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kudos to Lyanth. I'd toally love to go with a big group to Pike Place Market to see the sights.

MR.T on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just had an idea. Weather permitting..

Crosscity Superwalk

*image*

It could rain.

Also, you'd have to live pretty close, depending on how in-shape you are..

Bicycles count, if you have one.

I just have this image in my head of a large flock of nerds slowly walking up Madison.

Obviously not all three days, just Friday.

I support the idea of a large group of PAX nerds walking out through Seattle. I think it would be cool to see how big of a group you could get at the convention to walk about 2 - 3 miles or so away to a McDonalds or some fastfood resturant and just start coming in. Just to see the look on their faces alone would be worth the walk.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    How about not McDonalds, because, ew. The Pike's Place is a good idea, especially since when you get there, there's enough places to eat that you won't be waiting an hour for the 14-year-olds to figure out what to do about the huge crowd that just walked in demanding food.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2008
    Well I said McDonalds for two reasons.

One, it was the first crappy fast food resturant that came to mind.

And two, it would be funny to see the 14-year-olds try to figure out what the hell is going on. I wouldn't eat McDonalds at all. Just go for the experience... I guess.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    I also recommended Pike Place because:

1) The workers there are used to dealing with tourists
    2) Its about 5 blocks from the convention center
    3) Its hard to get lost
    4) And if you do, there are a lot of people and stores nearby to ask directions from

And from there, I figure the walk down along the waterfront would be nice because:

1) Fresh air. As it, it doesn't get much more fresh than this.
    2) The cool downtown sights
    3) The side walks are pretty big, so it'd be easier for mass quantities of nerds to get by

And then coming back say, along 3rd or something, because:

1) If people were tired from walking, the buses around downtown (and the convention center) are free on weekdays and go right by the center
    2) There aren't as many cool things to look at by this point, but people will probably be mingling, so no biggy
    3) There are a lot of corporate buildings around, and I would get a kick of seeing shocked non-nerds staring at us all

Also, I was going to add that maybe we could go as far as the International District? Getting past sketchy Pioneer Square won't be fun, but then we'll have more sights on the walk (like the sports fields, Pink Godzilla, Uwajimaya's, and Union Station).

And also, if this is going to be on Friday morning (or Thursday?) we probably don't want it taking too long, as we'll have, you know, PAX to get to.

just a thought. or five. ^^;

Lyanth on
    edited April 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »

And two, it would be funny to see the 14-year-olds try to figure out what the hell is going on. I wouldn't eat McDonalds at all. Just go for the experience... I guess.
    I kindof second this. I love seeing the service industry on its proverbial toes.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I kindof second this. I love seeing the service industry on its proverbial toes.

It would be funny if the group comes in look at the menu for a few minutes to freak them out and then ask for directions to Wendy's or some other fast food burger place.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »

It would be funny if the group comes in look at the menu for a few minutes to freak them out and then ask for directions to Wendy's or some other fast food burger place.

Haha, we just do this to all the fast food places we can find. We can raid them for epic lootz, amirite?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008

You'll see plenty of this on the CCST, especially at the McDonalds in Glendive, MT.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You'll see plenty of this on the CCST, especially at the McDonalds in Glendive, MT.
    I am so looking forward to it. I'm guessing the CCST temporarily triples the population of Montana, eh?

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    I would totally go for the nerd herd to Pike Place! It'd be a great chance to meet new people and see the sites. I heard Pike's market is really cool. What day works for everyone? We could do it Friday morning or sometime later during PAX.

MR.T on
    edited April 2008
    Friday morning sounds cool, there's plenty of different places to eat, so everybody can find something they like and snag a quick breakfast. It's no bacon waffles, but it's within walking distance.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dude! Why don't you all join the TOUR?!?!

Also, Pike Place is always unbelievably packed, especially in the summer, so it would probably take a long time to go through and also to find a place for a lot of people to eat. But, you HAVE to stop at the beignet place (they're little donuts) at the east entrance of Pike Place, and there are some really good food stops in Post Alley that only have storefronts (nowhere to sit) but have greek food, hum bao, and Beechers has awesome sandwiches (but the line takes forever)

Now I'm hungry.

MetaverseNomad on
    edited April 2008
    Because we're talking about going to Pike's Place on Friday morning, not wednesday or thursday (I, personally, won't even be in Seattle until 2pm Thursday, kind of defeats the purpose of breakfast). Also, I'm not suggesting everybody eat at the same place, but that we all go down to the market together and then break into smaller groups depending on taste.

edit: When we went down there last year in the morning for food, the restaurant we hit was almost empty.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You guys singlehandedly doubled Glendive's population.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited May 2008
    Because we're talking about going to Pike's Place on Friday morning, not wednesday or thursday (I, personally, won't even be in Seattle until 2pm Thursday, kind of defeats the purpose of breakfast). Also, I'm not suggesting everybody eat at the same place, but that we all go down to the market together and then break into smaller groups depending on taste.

edit: When we went down there last year in the morning for food, the restaurant we hit was almost empty.

This is kind of what I was thinking of. Maybe even a "Pre-Pax Breakfast Run"? It would be a good way to kick off the first day of PAX and make sure everyone has a decent meal in 'em to last the rest of the weekend.
    And don't worry, there are TONS of regular coffee/breakfast places between the Convention Center and Pike Place. Including a McDonald's. So if handmade humbao at 10 in the morning doesn't sound delicious to you, mobbing a Mcd's is still totally possible.

Lyanth on
    edited May 2008
    So should we all just meet up at the convention center Friday morning sometime? We should be able to make it down there, get a good breakfast, and make it back in time to get in line. This sounds like a great way for Pax newbies like myself to meet some new friends and see the sights.

MR.T on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »

This is kind of what I was thinking of. Maybe even a "Pre-Pax Breakfast Run"? It would be a good way to kick off the first day of PAX and make sure everyone has a decent meal in 'em to last the rest of the weekend.
    And don't worry, there are TONS of regular coffee/breakfast places between the Convention Center and Pike Place. Including a McDonald's. So if handmade humbao at 10 in the morning doesn't sound delicious to you, mobbing a Mcd's is still totally possible.

Man screw McDonald's. There is a sit-down crepe cafe just a bit up the hill from the convention center (the crepe stand connected to the convention center is decent, too). There are so many good, cheap food places in the lower Capitol Hill area that the idea of going to McDonald's is just ridiculous.

As you go towards downtown, it gets a little more expensive, but there are plenty of places right by the market that are great (and the Daily Dozen Donut Co kicks the living crap out of Krispy Kreme).

Doc on
  • FinnbarrFinnbarr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    If the CCSW happens at 7:45ish on Friday morning, I'm down for joining at Capitol Hill.

Sorry for being nub but whats CCSW?

Finnbarr on
    ~Finnbarr
    Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Crosscity Superwalk

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finnbarr wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »

Sorry for being nub but whats CCSW?

The original topic of the thread :P

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2008
    So are people going to do the CCSW to get to the convention or did we decide to do the Pike's Place thing?

MR.T on
    edited May 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    So are people going to do the CCSW to get to the convention or did we decide to do the Pike's Place thing?

I don't really think it has to be a decision. Local peeps can do the CCSW or some such, while those in the hotels, (because they really can't do the CCSW, unless they want to do a round trip sorta thing) can do the, I don't know, Pre-Pax Breakfast Run? Unless someone wants to do the CCSW then the breakfast run. But if there is gonna be a breakfast run (and people are interested in it) it should have its own thread.

And sorry for leading off topic in the thread. I know its NEVER happened before, but still, threads have topics for a reason.

Lyanth on
  • randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    All the carpooling, the training, and now the walking. PAX will be extremely Eco-Friendly.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
    edited May 2008
    Maybe this will also prove to people once and for all that all gamers are not lazy, fat and unwilling to walk anywhere or leave their parents' basements.

Take that stereotypes.

Seriously though, I'm not walking to the fucking QFC again. You hear me, randomguy. I don't care if all we need to pick up is a stack of dixie cups. We're driving.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    goodidea.jpg

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited May 2008
    Voila! http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=57433 A thread for discussing the Pre-Pax Breakfast run to Pike Place.

MR.T on
This discussion has been closed.