As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Harry Potter Book Officially Named

12346»

• Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I doubt snape will ever help harry potter, he hates him. However, Wormtail still owes a debt to him. Malfoy will also fight against lord voldermont I imagine, because Malfoy was never really that evil just a douche.

Also, R.A.B is Regulus Black if you missed me mentioning that earlier. His final sacrifice was probably destroying that amulet.

I doubt any more ghosts will come about because its a really bad decision to become one.

I doubt both Hermoine and Ron will die, one or the other might to dramatize things though. I think Hagrid will probably die too.

Harry Potter will die though. Im pretty much sure of that.

Neville will I imagine do something really epic.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriphus wrote:
    Stories do follow a formula, this makes you angry?
    Good stories aren't formulaic.

I don't care much about Harry Potter, but I don't like the assertion that a story would be "better" if it followed an explicit formula - i.e., if it was formulaic. There's no point in even reading a story if it's the same as all the others.

Granted, Harry Potter isn't exactly 'great literature.' But even stories written primarily for entertainment should try to never adhere a formula - especially not a terrible one.

Then again, I'm fairly sure you're just trolling anyway, based on your explanation for using smilies. That or you're clueless. Either way saves me the trouble of caring enough about whatever your next inane response will be to drag the thread off-topic.

Agem on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Neville will I imagine do something really epic.

"Promise me money, promise me power, promise me anything I want."

"Anything, anything!"

"I want my parents back you son of a bitch! AVADA KEDAVRA!"

Oh Neville.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:
    Seriphus wrote:
    Stories do follow a formula, this makes you angry?
    Good stories aren't formulaic.

I don't care much about Harry Potter, but I don't like the assertion that a story would be "better" if it followed an explicit formula - i.e., if it was formulaic. There's no point in even reading a story if it's the same as all the others.

Granted, Harry Potter isn't exactly 'great literature.' But even stories written primarily for entertainment should try to never adhere a formula - especially not a terrible one.

Then again, I'm fairly sure you're just trolling anyway, based on your explanation for using smilies. That or you're clueless. Either way saves me the trouble of caring enough about whatever your next inane response will be to drag the thread off-topic.

If you want a story that doesn't adhere to another's formula, why exactly are you reading Harry Potter? What part isn't from something else? I ask this in all seriousness, because from what I can see, it conforms to the themes and events of several stories.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SeriphusSeriphus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem. I don't really follow your line of reasoning about the Smilies. And if I am clueless, feel free to waste your words on someone else.

However, you speak in absolutes, so I am guessing you have not got a lot of experience with the world. Good stories aren't formulaic, eh?. None of them?.
    You are quite right, if a story was the same as all the others, there wouldn't be any point in reading it. Only, where do we get the concept of genre from?. Thats the trouble with speaking in absolutes. If you write a murder mystery, but steer so far afield from the accepted formula that you lose your audience, well you have written something other than a murder mystery.

Her books so far have been very good examples of formula writing. Not nobel prize material.

Seriphus on
    It had hitherto been the peculiar felicity to the Romans, and in the worst of times their consolation, that the virtue of the emperors was active and their vice indolent.

Gibbon.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't like agreeing with him, because he really doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, but Seriphus is accidently correct.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Your post is just some gratuitous insult, or you have a point you care to substantiate?.

Seriphus on
    It had hitherto been the peculiar felicity to the Romans, and in the worst of times their consolation, that the virtue of the emperors was active and their vice indolent.

Gibbon.
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow. Just wow.

Don't tell me you actually, when reading a book or watching a movie, actually think, 'Hey, this is just following ______ formula, making it just like ______."

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sepah wrote:
    Wow. Just wow.

Don't tell me you actually, when reading a book or watching a movie, actually think, 'Hey, this is just following ______ formula, making it just like ______."

No, but when a book basically punches me in the face with it, I don't really ignore it. However, I read a lot so I pick up on this sort of thing quite frequently, since no book in the history of time is completely original. The better ones take existing themes and transform them into something new. The mediocre ones take them and make it look like it's something new, when in reality it isn't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sepah wrote:
    Wow. Just wow.

Personally I do, but I have a DEGREE in it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sepah wrote:
    Wow. Just wow.

OMG JOO DEGREE WAVING ASSHOLE!

I don't mind the formulaic qualities of the Harry Potter series. It bugs me in so far as I'm aware of it...but it doesn't take away much from the series. If anything it fosters a feeling of familiarity.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sepah wrote:
    Wow. Just wow.

OMG JOO DEGREE WAVING ASSHOLE!

I don't mind the formulaic qualities of the Harry Potter series. It bugs me in so far as I'm aware of it...but it doesn't take away much from the series. If anything it fosters a feeling of familiarity.

My degree is bigger than your penis.

--

My point was that it's not exactly uncommon thing. It's why people seek novel literature. If you see the same fricking crap everywhere, it gets boring to read.

Of course, some people like watching/reading the same story over and over and over and over again.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been known to reread some series a dozen or more times. :oops:

Pratchett(Discworld, mostly), Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth... Legacy of the Force, New Jedi Order, most recently.

I own every book of Wheel of Time, and each time a new book is released, I sit down and re-read the series. Takes about 1-2 weeks.

Fuck you Robert Jordan. Fuck you and your paid by the word gig.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I reread series and books. That doesn't mean I'll tolerate the same old stuff that pretends to be new.

Then again, my taste is all over the place.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    "Promise me money, promise me power, promise me anything I want."

"Anything, anything!"

"I want my parents back you son of a bitch! AVADA KEDAVRA!"
    If this exact exchange was featured, I might just read the book.

[spoiler:0846012606]Harry dies, then gets brought back to life by Miracle Max? Am I a fool to dream?[/spoiler:0846012606]

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sepah wrote:

Pratchett(Discworld, mostly), Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth... Legacy of the Force, New Jedi Order, most recently.

I own every book of Wheel of Time, and each time a new book is released, I sit down and re-read the series. Takes about 1-2 weeks.

o_O

I will never understand this.

My having a memory, as horribly bad as it is, keeps me from reading or watching almost anything twice, ever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sepah wrote:

o_O

My having a memory, as horribly bad as it is, keeps me from reading or watching almost anything twice, ever.

It's not that I don't know what happens, it's just that compelling stories are fun to read.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    If you want a story that doesn't adhere to another's formula, why exactly are you reading Harry Potter? What part isn't from something else? I ask this in all seriousness, because from what I can see, it conforms to the themes and events of several stories.
    Ugh... I don't want to take this off topic, remember?

First of all, I'm not reading Harry Potter. I read the first couple books; that's it. So I'm not a huge fan personally, but that the series has become so popular is a testament of Rowling's ability to write entertaining fiction.

Secondly, having a "part from something else," if you mean it drawing from mythology, legends, and other fantasies, is not the same as being formulaic. If you want to be disparaging or if it seems as though the author claimed the work as his or her own, that's being derivative, which is different. Formulaic means different things depending on who's using the term, but being formulaic is following a basic, commonly used formula for your story rather than making your own. Something general like start->middle->end or buildup->climax->resolution isn't being formulaic in and of itself. Specifically having certain characters die at the end of your story because "it follows the traditional formula," on the other hand, is very obviously being formulaic.
    FencingSax wrote:
    No, but when a book basically punches me in the face with it, I don't really ignore it. However, I read a lot so I pick up on this sort of thing quite frequently, since no book in the history of time is completely original. The better ones take existing themes and transform them into something new. The mediocre ones take them and make it look like it's something new, when in reality it isn't.
    Basically, I agree with you.

See, having the same themes doesn't mean it's formulaic. Despite what I just said, neither does having the same plotline, actually - at least, not necessarily. If, in the natural evolution of a piece it just happens to end up looking like X or being similar to X, that doesn't mean it's formulaic. The kind of stuff Seriphus is suggesting - explicitly molding your story to fit a "traditional formula" - is, again, definitely being formulaic.
    Sepah wrote:
    I've been known to reread some series a dozen or more times.
    This isn't what I meant, so I guess I wasn't clear.

If you enjoy reading something, there's absolutely nothing wrong with reading it more than once. If it's just for enjoyment, it's still enjoyable to do so, and if it's for something like literary analysis - well, let's say that's usually not based on a single reading. Many books gain on the second, third, or fourth reading.

I just mean if you go to the store and they have an entire shelf of different novels with a little summary on the wall saying "in these books, [explanation of the general events of the books, which all follow the same formula]," there's a pretty good chance you're not going to buy from that shelf more than once, unless you have some sort of obsession with that storyline, want to see how different authors approached it, or other bizarre exception.

Being formulaic is a bad thing because formulaic stories tend to be bad. The authors substitute the work of other author's for their own, and tend to produce inferior work.

A formulaic author is not necessarily one who reads a story and thinks "this is okay, but I think I could do it better." A formulaic author is one who reads a story and thinks "I will make my story like this one because it's easier than coming up with my own ideas."

Hopefully this clears things up.

Agem on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sepah wrote:

o_O

It's not that I don't know what happens, it's just that compelling stories are fun to read.

:?

I will never get you people.

By you people I mean people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Look, if you want to see what I mean, read HP. Then read Mallory's La Morte D'Artur. Then go "so that's where basically every plot device came from"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't understand this disagreement.

Are people pissed that Seriphus thinks Rowling will kill off Harry et. al, or that he's comparing the Harry Potter books to old British pulp fiction?

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    saggio wrote:

Are people pissed that Seriphus thinks Rowling will kill off Harry et. al, or that he's comparing the Harry Potter books to old British pulp fiction?
    I'm just annoyed that he thinks they should be.

Agem on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Agem wrote:
    saggio wrote:

I'm just annoyed that he thinks they should be.

Ah. I really couldn't care less. Harry Potter isn't exactly profound literature or anything.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sepah wrote:
    Predictions.

[spoiler:3b26aca962]There are 6 Horcruxes, as theoretically stated in the books. This is supported by the idea that Voldemort wanted to have his soul split into 7 portions, seven being a powerfully occult number. Thusly, 6 Horcruxes and the portion of his soul left in his body make 7. The Diary and Slytherin's locket have been destroyed, leaving 4 Horcruxes still, in theory, existing. These consist, supposedly, of an artifact of Ravenclaw's, an artifact of Gryffindor's, Hufflepuff's Cup, and Nagini, Voldemort's pet snake.[/spoiler:3b26aca962]

[spoiler:3b26aca962]Harry is not a horcrux. Voldemort intended to make his 6th and final Horcrux utilizing the murder of his prophesied rival(Harry Potter). He failed to kill Harry, and later utilized the murder of the muggle groundskeeper to make Nagini into his 6th Horcrux.[/spoiler:3b26aca962]

[spoiler:3b26aca962]Based on all this, Harry has to destroy 4 horcruxes. Nagini should be fairly easy, being almost always kept near Voldemort. He at least knows what one of the others are, Hufflepuff's cup. He still has to discover what 2 of the remaining Horcruxes are.[/spoiler:3b26aca962]

Based on all this, I predict a very damned long book.

[spoiler:3b26aca962]You missed a horcrux: Marvolo's Ring that Dumbledore destroyed

1. Voldemort himself (Intact)
    2. Riddle's Diary (Destroyed)
    3. Marvolo's Ring (Destroyed)
    4. Slytherin's Locket (MIA, might be destroyed)
    5. Hufflepuff's Cup (Unknown, likely intact)
    6. Something of Ravenclaw or Gryffendor's (Unknown, likely intact)
    7. Nagini (Intact)

So, other than voldy himself, there's 3-4 hocruxes left, depending on whether or not R.A.B. destroyed the locket. 'course R.A.B. might have been onto another Horcrux or two, and possibly destroyed another one, so there could be even less to worry about.[/spoiler:3b26aca962]

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    saggio wrote:

I'm pissed because he missed the point, which was fucking obvious.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hmm..how Harry will die in the book?
    there must be some creative way for this ultimate hero to die.
    maybe something from "Final Destination" can give a good impact for us to remember him.

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hagrid is gonna die I reckon.

I heard someone put forward a theory on another forum that the sequence of deaths in the books was something to do with alchamy and colours. Black, white (Albus), then Red(Rubeus) and that they'll die in the reverse order Harry met them, making each slightly more personal.

But quite aside from that, I want him to die just cause I've never really liked him. Screw Grawp and his beastie of the week.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What's the fucking obvious point, fencingsax?.

Basically what you are saying, is you allowed my having an opinion to annoy you. You are not going to find that a useful philosophy in life, sport. People will persist in having an opinion, and when it is a purely subjective topic, such as how some popular author ought to structure one of her books, it is a sad weakness in you, to allow yourself to lose your composure over someone elses opinion.

I honestly think the woman ought to follow the formula she has BEEN following, to its traditional end. Won't be high art, but it may provide some benefit to the children that read it.

Don't allow my feeling this, to annoy you, it is bad for your health. :)

Seriphus on

Gibbon.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Seriphus wrote:
    What's the fucking obvious point, fencingsax?.

That Harry Potter draws from something a little larger than "Stories for Boys".

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    vrempire wrote:
    maybe something from "Final Destination" can give a good impact for us to remember him.
    Why does everyone think he's going to die? I don't think he's going to die. I know for a fact he won't be working at the school though. It would have been nice to see him as the permanent DatDA teacher, but I think that should go to Neville.

Not enough Neville love after OotP

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    vrempire wrote:

"Harry Potter And The Harry Potter Dies?"

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    "Harry Potter and the Suicide Attempt"?

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriphus wrote:
    Frightningly near to being so, yes, Shinto. Are old farts not welcome here?

I'm totally down with the old school.

Unless you are cruising for young boys by posting about childrens books.

In which case we can compare notes.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sepah wrote:

Man I hope he doesn't die before the last one is written. Then we'll have to wait decades before his sons find his notes and journals and then write a really bad version of the last book.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If I thought jokes about that sort of thing were funny, I would answer you, Shinto, with something like " You have the young boys, I will take the young girls, and we will have a race".

But I do not think so. Happily married/non child molesting New Zealander, so I think the young Americans are safe from me. Its too far to go.

Anyone that hasn't read Pride and Prejudice 10 times, for the pleasure of running the beautiful words through their brain AGAIN, hasn't really read it properly. And really well written books always repay re-reading. No one is smart enough to draw every nuance from great writing, on its first digestion.
    Young people maybe have the understandable impluse of going onto the new, and not contemplating the old, they are young after all.

Seriphus on

Gibbon.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Spyder wrote:
    hermione.jpg

Hermione develops a hard drinking problem

I heart her-on-me granger even if she does like cheap crappy booze.

I like Corona. :(

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriph: I haven't posted in ages, but just to say, i wasn't trying to be a prick in my first post to you. From back what i've written before i was trying to make the statement that Rowling wouldn't go this route due to her constantly wanting to add moral lessons to her books.

The sacrifice thing would be a lesson, yet, because she seems to want the younger readers to have less of a scarred relationship as to what sacrifice actually means. (in that it's a metaphore and not an actual link to suicide).

We all know someone's going to die, and Harry might, but if he does it will be by being killed during his fight with Voldermort, and not by actually throwing himself to his death.

When you were talking about her following a trend in how books metaphorically showing sacrifices having to be made, or any "traditional form" you made it out as if this was a good thing and that it would make the story more interesting, and that it would take courage to actually stay commited to these forms. (just what i ascertained from the post).

I think, if she uses these "traditional forms" in new ways that intrigue and draw in the reader then sure. I do firmly believe though, that staying away from these forms could also create a much more interesting read, and are normally the best way to create "twists" in the story.

Johannen on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    If Snape turns out to be really evil, I'm gonna disown the whole fucking series.

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    fjafjan wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    If Snape turns out to be really evil, I'm gonna disown the whole fucking series.

Not gonna happen.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Johannen it's all good, I didn't think you were being a prick. It's all just our opinion, eh?. One of us will be wrong maybe, or both, or whatever. And actually, if I was so smart as all that, I would be writing me OWN blockbusters, right?.

If someone DOESN'T die, it sort of makes Voldy look a softcock, I think, and the whole thing an anti-climax.

The WORST thing would be if somehow they allow Dumbledore to come back from the dead. *spew*.
    Alright if it was just a ploy, and he never really died, but lets have no reserrections.

Seriphus on

Gibbon.