As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Little Miss Sunshine + Dark Comedy

Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay, so, I saw this movie last night. Heard it was the funniest film of the year, unanimous reviews praising it's comedic nature. I found out it was a dark comedy soon afterwards, and immediately began to compare it to The Royal Tenenbaums, which was extremely hilarious. I found that LMS was just too light-hearted, pulled too many punches. I rarely laughed during the film and I just cannot understand how it's the "best comedy of the year".

Could anyone explain the humor I was missing out on? Steve Carell was damn funny, I admit.

Zephyr_Fate on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm pretty sure every movie that gets released is advertised as "The Best _____ Of The Year".

Scooter on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i agree with you entirely. i couldn't understand why i felt so different than all the other people who laughed with glee until i read this review.
    Limited to one theater, and limited to movies starting after ten, I saw Little Miss Sunshine. Far as I can tell, it's a remake of National Lampoon's Vacation designed for the the annoying NPR fucks who listen to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! and laugh at the non-Lake Wobegon parts of Prairie Home Companion. It's like the movies was written in a parallel universe where the lowbrow comedy of the common man gets a few intemellectual quirks and relabeled as smart and hip.

Like Vacation, Little Miss Sunshine is a cross-country family road movie. In the original, the sadsack dad who thinks the trip will bring his family closer together was played by Chevy Chase. Now, the sadsack dad with the same plan is played by Greg Kinnear. Ah, but the twist is that he's a self-doubting motivational speaker. Good fucking God, that NPR crowd is so clueless they don't know that these types have been punchlines on shitty sketch comedy shows for ten years.

though, there's an excellent "overrated movie" thread nearby that would be perfect for this subject.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I know about the thread, but I wanted to talk about just this movie, not others that are overrated as well.

That review makes sense. To be honest, though, there wasn't really any good comedy movies this year anyways.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I know about the thread, but I wanted to talk about just this movie, not others that are overrated as well.

That review makes sense. To be honest, though, there wasn't really any good comedy movies this year anyways.

I hear Borat was pretty popular.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i agree with you entirely. i couldn't understand why i felt so different than all the other people who laughed with glee until i read this review.
    Limited to one theater, and limited to movies starting after ten, I saw Little Miss Sunshine. Far as I can tell, it's a remake of National Lampoon's Vacation designed for the the annoying NPR fucks who listen to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! and laugh at the non-Lake Wobegon parts of Prairie Home Companion. It's like the movies was written in a parallel universe where the lowbrow comedy of the common man gets a few intemellectual quirks and relabeled as smart and hip.

Like Vacation, Little Miss Sunshine is a cross-country family road movie. In the original, the sadsack dad who thinks the trip will bring his family closer together was played by Chevy Chase. Now, the sadsack dad with the same plan is played by Greg Kinnear. Ah, but the twist is that he's a self-doubting motivational speaker. Good fucking God, that NPR crowd is so clueless they don't know that these types have been punchlines on shitty sketch comedy shows for ten years.

though, there's an excellent "overrated movie" thread nearby that would be perfect for this subject.
    Oh no, not NPR!!!

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh no, not NPR!!!

yup. en-pee-fucking-argh!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Little Miss Sunshine is funny and satisfying. It is not the LOL REFERENCE humor and zaniness of Family Guy. It is a very well constructed comedy. I viewed it about 5 times in theaters, and I just got it for christmas. It doesn't get old, because well executed art never does.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Now see, while I wouldn't say Little Miss Sunshine is a favorite movie of mine, I did find it fairly funny/entertaining, but I despied The Royal Tenenbaums. Way boring. I think I laughed maybe twice during it.

As for it being the funniest, I can't really think of another. Maybe Thank You For Smoking, but I can't remember if that falls in the time slot.

I don't watch comedies usually so....

Virum on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    This wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen. It was just a fucking great movie with a couple of hilarious moments.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does the number of times I laugh directly correspond to how much I enjoy this movie?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    the number of times i found myself rolling my eyes was a strong indicator that i wasn't enjoying the movie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pardon me, you seem to have gotten your objective in my subjective

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That little girl is just so fat.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006

She is not that fat at all.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It seems to me that movies that aren't advertised as dark comedies (but are), seem to be the winners as to the kinds of movies pitched into the dark comed by fault. See also: Suicide Kings, Grosse Point Blanke, American Psycho.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

No, she's not, but you have to admit she's not really beauty queen material.

...though frankly, the idea of a beauty pageant for seven-year-olds is highly disturbing. In fact, I found that entire scene disturbing until the end.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

No, she's not, but you have to admit she's not really beauty queen material.

...though frankly, the idea of a beauty pageant for seven-year-olds is highly disturbing. In fact, I found that entire scene disturbing until the end.

You should find the HBO sepcial on kiddie beauty pagents. If it dosn't turn your stomach, nothing will. FYI: It was on the whole Jon Benet Ramsy ordeal several years ago.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Does the number of times I laugh directly correspond to how much I enjoy this movie?
    When it's a comedy, yes.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    SyphilisaurusSyphilisaurus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen. It was just a fucking great movie with a couple of hilarious moments.
    I agree a lot with that.
    And as for funny movies this year? Thank You For Smoking was pretty good, and Borat.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So Life Aquatic is a bad comedy because I only laughed out loud maybe twice for the whole movie?

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    So Life Aquatic is a bad comedy because I only laughed out loud maybe twice for the whole movie?
    I don't think the Life Aquatic is a comedy, really. Just a quirky drama, in my books.

Bruce McCulloch's CD Shame Based Man is my current definition of dark comedy.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll agree that Little Miss Sunshine is not a comedy in the strictest sense. Sure it's a road movie, sure it's dramatic, sure it makes you laugh, but deep down it's just a good movie in my eyes.

The characters are wonderful, and the acting is superb. Honestly, the characters are the reasons I found myself liking the movie so much. They're all so interesting and, dare I say it, believable, that I'm consistently drawn into their stories. Maybe it's the "NPR crowd" in me, but both times I saw it in the theatres I loved it.

All this talk about the four extra endings in the DVD have me excited as well, even though I thought it ended on a pretty appropriate note.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    NPR = National Public Radio, yeah?

I'm not getting the refference.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I loathed it, and honestly, I don't know why. I loved Royal Tenenbaums (well, not loved; more, appreciated), and The Life Aquatic is one of my favorite movies. I'm down with "quirky comedic drama." But I hated this movie.

I think it was actually the characters. I hated the stupid emo teenager, the craaaazy uncle is incredibly cliched, Steve Carrel actually was kind of funny, mom and dad were both tepid, and the little girl was both fat and had barely any lines anyway.

It was just so... barebones.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What's the deal with saying the little girl was fat? It's like you won't watch a movie with an eight-year-old unless she gives you wood.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What's the deal with saying the little girl was fat? It's like you won't watch a movie with an eight-year-old unless she gives you wood.
    http://www.universalroyalty.com/

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    http://www.universalroyalty.com/
    Some of those pictures of young girls are just sad.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What's so dark about it? You guys found it dark? I found the movie really uplifting.

Maybe that's more of a reflection on my nature, however.

edit* OK, after typing this, I looked over on my bed and found The Royal Tenenbaums, Little Miss Sunshine, Lost in Translation, and The Squid and the Whale just sitting there. Irony + Karma = lol

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006

So the reason you are different from other people is because they are stupid and you are better than them.

Home Run Loren! Hi5!

Shinto on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

It has no bearing on the movie whatsoever. I was just a little surprised when people were like "no, the girl wasn't fat at all."

Because she totally was.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    thorpe wrote:

It has no bearing on the movie whatsoever. I was just a little surprised when people were like "no, the girl wasn't fat at all."

Because she totally was.
    Yeah, it's stupid to claim she wasn't fat. She wasn't morbidly obese, but her extra weight was a main point of the movie.

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    She was wearing padding.

The actress is not fat. Olive is.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The more you know...

Syphilisaurus on
    adsigcopy4kn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    What did everyone think of Running With Scissors? I've read the book but I forgot to go see the movie. Is it good?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:

So the reason you are different from other people is because they are stupid and you are better than them.

well, i saw it at a film festival hosted by michael moore, so it wasn't tough to guess the demographic of a lot of the people there. in that respect, having gone to a unitarian church until my late teens, and having seen a lot of unitarians participating in the film festival in various capacities, yes, i am objectively better than many of the people i was watching it with. i have better taste in movies, i am more atheistic, cleaner shaved, a snappier dresser, bluer eyed and whiter.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:

well, i saw it at a film festival hosted by michael moore, so it wasn't tough to guess the demographic of a lot of the people there. in that respect, having gone to a unitarian church until my late teens, and having seen a lot of unitarians participating in the film festival in various capacities, yes, i am objectively better than many of the people i was watching it with. i have better taste in movies, i am more atheistic, cleaner shaved, a snappier dresser, bluer eyed and whiter.

Dear Loren,

I have declared Little Miss Sunshine to be a great movie. Your taste is below mine. Please cease and desist.

Poldy

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Dear Loren,

I have declared Little Miss Sunshine to be a great movie. Your taste is below mine. Please cease and desist.

Poldy

Dear Poldy,

Are you still a goddamn hipster?

Love,
    Loren

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zsetrek wrote:
    NPR = National Public Radio, yeah?

I'm not getting the refference.
    It's... it's not really a reference. He's just saying, "olol NPR listeners will like it", with the subtext being that NPR listeners are dumbass liberals who wouldn't know funny if it gave them a blowjob.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    According to IMDB the girl wore a fat suit.

Anyways, LMS annoyed me. Maybe it was the theatre I was in, maybe it was because the amount that everyone yelled started to get to me. Maybe it was the insessant honking of the broken horn that tipped me over the edge.

Royal Tennenbaums is one of my favourite movies, The Life Aquatic I enjoyed but was stoned so it really sat well with my state of mind at that point. LMS... meh. I didnt dig it whatsoever

aquabat on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What did everyone think of Running With Scissors? I've read the book but I forgot to go see the movie. Is it good?
    It sucked.

But I thought TRTB and Life Aquatic sucked to, so take it with a grain of salt I spose.

Virum on