As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vince Young and WINNING

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elks hits the nail on the head.

also

I think that Vince is a better specimen, and can out QB Brady.

But, at this point, I'd still rather have Brady running my two minute drill.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Yeah, he's great. But Big Ben blew the league away when he came in as a rookie also, won a bunch of games in a row and all that.
    No he didn't. Ben just "managed" games. He was a handing-it-off machine. He wasn't asked to do anything special.

Except win, and that's what he did...all the way to the Super Bowl.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    gundam470 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Yeah, he's great. But Big Ben blew the league away when he came in as a rookie also, won a bunch of games in a row and all that.
    No he didn't. Ben just "managed" games. He was a handing-it-off machine. He wasn't asked to do anything special.

The point is that there's like at least 15-25 QBs in the league that could have won that SB with that team like Ben did, but there's only 1 that could win the games that the Titans have recently.

edit: and I mean Jesus can you imagine the Longhorns with Big Ben against USC? It would be embarrassing.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    But can he dunk?

Bloods End on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:

The point is that there's like at least 15-25 QBs in the league that could have won that SB with that team like Ben did, but there's only 1 that could win the games that the Titans have recently.

edit: and I mean Jesus can you imagine the Longhorns with Big Ben against USC? It would be embarrassing.

Ben's not as good as a lot of people were giving him credit for, nor is he as awful as you guys say he is. Or rather, was. There's no way to say one way or another, but as a person who follows that team...he lacks the poise he had the previous two years, and has simply played much worse this season. Not that it makes much of a difference at this point, but through those two seasons, he did do a fair amount of threading the needle, and while not in absolute control the way VY is, was certainly one of the leaders on the team.

I would say that what VY is doing in his rookie year iis on a whole separate level, but Ben earned at least a little credit those seasons. Anymore...I don't know whether it's his fame going to his head, the car accident, the appendectomy and coming back to soon, or what, but he's not playing the way he did before, even aside from not having the same team around him.

Jragghen on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think falling off his crotch-rocket with no helmet on is what did Big Ben in. He shouldn't have played until at least week 10 or something, but even more than that his dumb-ass should have had a helmet on.

Vince Young would have worn a helmet.

• VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if you're being serious ranking VY over Jordan in terms of winning. I hope to god you aren't. You're comparing a rookie QB to the (arguably) greatest basketball player of all time? One of the greatest competitors of all time? I can name dozens of "winners" just in the basketball field that "win" more than VY, let alone His Airness.

Jordan made the nba HIS in the 90s, which was quite a talented decade. 6 Championships. Two 3peats. The best regular season record EVER. All of this without a dominating big man, which all other nba dynasties have had.

I really hope you were kidding.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I hate the fucking Yankees, but

Rivera1.jpg

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    God how I wish that motherfucking, steroid popping, cow raping Rocket had never been born in my town. Motherfucker gets all the glory. Talk of the best pitcher this and the best pitcher that.

Well, he blinded y'all with science. He's still got the heart of a fucking possum. I see you Clemens, running away from Bonds with class.

t1_bat_ap.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • TsaoTsao Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    gundam470 wrote:

Yeah, not like Vince Young did against the Jaguars! He was 8 of 15 passing for 85 yards, ran 4 times for 4 yards, and fumbled once! Pure win! :P

That said, I'm a UT alumnus, and even on the days when he's not doing so much all by himself, the dude is an unbelievable leader who has an undeniable effect on any team he's on.

Tsao on
    Teximu.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    I don't know if you're being serious ranking VY over Jordan in terms of winning. I hope to god you aren't. You're comparing a rookie QB to the (arguably) greatest basketball player of all time? One of the greatest competitors of all time? I can name dozens of "winners" just in the basketball field that "win" more than VY, let alone His Airness.

Jordan made the nba HIS in the 90s, which was quite a talented decade. 6 Championships. Two 3peats. The best regular season record EVER. All of this without a dominating big man, which all other nba dynasties have had.

I really hope you were kidding.
    No, I wasn't kidding. I really don't like that gambling addicted prick or the referees and the league which was built to favor him. Remember the Byron Russel shot? One of the most emblematic shots of his career? Yeah, it was a push off, we all saw it, yet they replay it over and over and over and over like it didn't happen. Come on.

Also, how can we rate him the greatest winner when he lost his father and a shot at 8 championships to gambling debts? That little 'hiatus' to AA baseball, which lasted 1.5 years nearly to the day, was not related to his sudden disinterest in the game. It was probably related to the book published about his gross gambling habits and his mounting debt and serious personal vice. When VY lets his personal vices interfere with his winning, maybe we can revisit this discussion.

PS -- should we even talk about the Wizard years? I mean, ouch.

• geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    The performance by Vince Young in the Rose Bowl last season remains the single greatest individual performance I've ever witnessed on a football field, and nothing appears to have changed.

Colt Brennan probably has him beat after his performance last night. He is, by far, the most amazing college quarterback I have ever seen. He is going to rip shit up in the NFL.
    Brennan, 33-of-42 for 559 yards, threw a 7-yard scoring pass to Ryan Grice-Mullen on the Warriors' second series of the second half to break the previous mark of 54 set by Houston's David Klingler in 1990, also against the Sun Devils.

geckahn on
    edited December 2006
    geckahn wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    The performance by Vince Young in the Rose Bowl last season remains the single greatest individual performance I've ever witnessed on a football field, and nothing appears to have changed.

Colt Brennan probably has him beat after his performance last night. He is, by far, the most amazing college quarterback I have ever seen. He is going to rip shit up in the NFL.
    Brennan, 33-of-42 for 559 yards, threw a 7-yard scoring pass to Ryan Grice-Mullen on the Warriors' second series of the second half to break the previous mark of 54 set by Houston's David Klingler in 1990, also against the Sun Devils.
    There was another guy from Hawaii a couple years ago tearing shit up.

He went undrafted.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Exhibition games don't count.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Gustaf the Stout

A lot of people are probably curious about Gus. I mean, I know I am. But you see, I know him better than any other. All the player haters can laugh and say hurfa durr, your dog is cool, but you're an a bloo'er. Bitch, Gus takes after his daddy. And Who the Fuck do you think that is?

Do you think he just sits in his apartment glaring at the computer screen all day? Nah, man, gus ain't like that at all. He just loves to play with you. Best Gun Dog ever.

And here you go guys, a photojourney of his best Christmas yet.

Penny-ArcadianChristmas06004-1.jpg

UltimateGus122506001.jpg

But enough about Gus' homelife. This is to talk just about being a straight up winner. And believe me Ultimate Gus is all that and more. He learned from the best.

gustaf010.jpg

Check how smart this dude is. I just started throwing frisbee with him, yesterday morning. Less than a day later, and he's the motherfucking Furry Tron.

That's right bitches, Ultimate Gus is here. He loves to play, any game will do. Now, who's got some quarters. I don't know about you. But I've got my 2 liter bottle of Shasta and my all Rush mixtape.

Because yeah, it's go time. And Gustaf wants to play.

Air_Gus.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, I decided to read through this whole thread to bask in the glory of Joe Montana, to share in the stories of his superhuman feats, to revel in the adventures of the cyborg who is now more machine than man, and was horribly disappointed.

For shame.

I'm with whoever stated that there have been hundreds of rookies who could do no wrong at the beginning of a great career, then flubbed up their career or burned out early.

slurpeepoop on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't believe you navel gazers.

Have none of you heard of:
    Michael Shumacher?
    Pele?
    Ghengis Khan?

Ninto on
    edited December 2006
    So, I decided to read through this whole thread to bask in the glory of Joe Montana, to share in the stories of his superhuman feats, to revel in the adventures of the cyborg who is now more machine than man, and was horribly disappointed.

For shame.

I'm with whoever stated that there have been hundreds of rookies who could do no wrong at the beginning of a great career, then flubbed up their career or burned out early.

Oh God yes.
    Joseph Clifford Montana, Jr., (born June 11, 1956, in New Eagle, Pennsylvania, USA) was a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League. Montana is widely regarded as The Greatest Quarterback of All Time, a debatable title unofficially held previously by another legendary NFL quarterback, Johnny Unitas. His moniker, Joe Cool, was given to him because of his calm, cool demeanor on the field under the most intense pressure situations.
    Montana holds post-season records for most career touchdown passes (45), and passing yards (5,772) among others. In his 4 Super Bowls, Montana completed 83 of 122 passes, for 1,142 yards and 11 touchdowns, with an impressive zero interceptions, earning him a quarterback rating of 127.8

montana_joe2.jpg

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so Vince kinda sounds like this guy from two seasons ago who lost in the playoffs then won the super bowl then wrecked his face and motorcycle.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    urbman wrote:
    so Vince kinda sounds like this guy from two seasons ago who lost in the playoffs then won the super bowl then wrecked his face and motorcycle.

Leave.

Poot on
    edited December 2006
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.

No, he's right.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.
    You know, this thread feels a lot less like a discussion of true winners and more like an excuse for the OP and like minded jackasses to shit on anyone who nominates someone other than Vince Young, who hasn't won diddlyfuck as a professional yet.

I call shenanigans.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I really don't like that gambling addicted prick or the referees and the league which was built to favor him.
    And yet you are a fan of Wade, aren't you?

Gambling aside, Wade gets treated probably better than Jordan by the refs. He plays by a different set of rules than the rest of the league.

deadonthestreet on
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.
    You know, this thread feels a lot less like a discussion of true winners and more like an excuse for the OP and like minded jackasses to shit on anyone who nominates someone other than Vince Young, who hasn't won diddlyfuck as a professional yet.

I call shenanigans.

I absolutely love the steelers but when Ben's face met steel it fucked up his game.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm not going to be able to come up with much in terms of past NFL players, since I don't know too much about NFL history.

But as for right now?

LT.jpg

Sorry, let me know when Vince Young breaks some serious "in a season" or "in X seasons" records. Oh, that's right, he's a fucking rookie. What happens if he plays next week and tears an ACL? End of career, cue fall into obscurity.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vince Young. I sincerely hope he makes it big in this league, and I think he has the potential to be one of the greatest quarterbacks, if not players, the NFL has ever seen. But seriously, there's no way you can make that kind of judgement in his first fucking season. For example, from Sportsline.com:
    With six straight wins, Young moved into a tie for third with Pittsburgh's Mike Kruzcek, for the longest streak among rookie NFL quarterbacks.

Ever heard of Mike Kruzcek? Neither have I.

LaDainian Tomlinson is my favorite player in the NFL right now, and has been ever since his rookie year. I love watching that dude play. And I remember back when the Chargers had shit for an O-line and no passing game to speak of, he was still putting up monster stats and winning games for San Diego. Even now, when the passing game gets stopped by an opposing defense, the Chargers just shrug their shoulders, hand the ball to LT, and watch him run for 150+ yards and 2+ touchdowns. He's been playing in the NFL for 6 years, and only recently have I begun to think that he could end up being the greatest running back ever to play the game. Did you see that? Could. Because there's no telling whether he'll bust his knee and cut short an incredible career, like Bo Jackson or Terrell Davis. Or maybe he'll just run out of gas. Who knows?

You can't call someone "the best" while they're still playing. You can say "one of the best", because that's certainly true about LT. But, with very few exceptions (Jerry Rice being one of them), I don't think you can set them on that pedestal until they're done. Because you never know what could happen along the line.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Young is playing solid and winning, but let's give him some time. Remember way back when Tony Romo was going to be the next big thing in Dallas? Yeah...

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • MendozaMendoza Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have a bottle opener that plays the call for the last play of the Rose Bowl whenever you use it

"All the hopes, all the dreams for the National Championship come down to this play..."

God damn if I don't find more uses for a fucking bottle opener than I ever thought possible

Mendoza on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    urbman wrote:
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.

I call shenanigans.

I absolutely love the steelers but when Ben's face met steel it fucked up his game.

This entire season has been one exclamation of "he can make that, damn it!" after another.

Jragghen on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The accident did not have much to do with Roethlisburger's struggles. He has struggled because he has always been a mediocre QB. He could put up great numbers when all that was asked of him was to throw short passes and let the running handle the rest.

And yes, I am aware he had some big passing games. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • FanboiFanboi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The accident did not have much to do with Roethlisburger's struggles. He has struggled because he has always been a mediocre QB. He could put up great numbers when all that was asked of him was to throw short passes and let the running handle the rest.

And yes, I am aware he had some big passing games. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

Agreed. The Steelers won the big game despite of him and not because of him. Wasnt his QB rating that game horrible?

Fanboi on
    edited December 2006
    Deleted.

Fanboi on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Fanboi wrote:

Agreed. The Steelers won the big game despite of him and not because of him. Wasnt his QB rating that game horrible?

A duck! on
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Fanboi wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the rest of his career plays out. With a number like that, he'll be desperate for another shot at a Super Bowl just so he can finally play in one.

Fanboi on
    edited December 2006
    I've been drinking the Kool-Aid since his comeback against Oklahoma. When the Titans drafted him I was very happy, but wasn't sure he could do much as a rookie with the talent that Tennessee had. And after watching him for a whole season, I don't have many doubts going into the next one. Yeah I know, he's a rookie, but I'm not expecting him to regress. I'm expecting him to play better, as he gets more familiar with the offense, and as he gets better players around him; just like he did at UT. You can't play so well, on team that is so bad, and regress. Especially not if the team has $40 million in cap room.

gundam470 wrote:
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.

No, he's right.
    Except that he's not. Well, it is true, as long as you don't watch many football games.

As far as talent, expectations, and impact go, they're on different levels. You put Roethlisberger behind Tennessee offensive line, and the mercy of receivers who rarely get separation, and he's not gonna do a whole lot. And if you talk about upside, well, then it's not even remotely competitive. Roethlisberger is not going to to run for 30+ touchdowns twice in the same season. VY in a good day will clean out Big Ben on great day.

And again, you just can't compare the talent around those two. Here are the 2004 total defense rankings. These are the rankings for 2006. Look at them, and tell me those two quarterbacks had similar seasons. The difference couldn't be more dramatic.

celery77 wrote:
    I really don't like that gambling addicted prick or the referees and the league which was built to favor him.

Gambling aside, Wade gets treated probably better than Jordan by the refs. He plays by a different set of rules than the rest of the league.
    I'm pretty sure celery said as much, during the championship series. More accurately, I believe celery said the rules were skewed to favor Wade(s).

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's always tough to say if a player will be good in the pros by thier college career. there's pelnty of Heisman winners who fizzled out in the NFL after a few years.

As a marginal USC fan I'm not inclined to like Vince much. Time will tell if he makes it ni the pros. I'm also pleasantly surprised by Reggie and the Saints this year.

Ok I know this is petty and off topic but I'll gloat and point at the Maurice Drew has had a better season than reggie.

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    I've been drinking the Kool-Aid since his comeback against Oklahoma. When the Titans drafted him I was very happy, but wasn't sure he could do much as a rookie with the talent that Tennessee had. And after watching him for a whole season, I don't have many doubts going into the next one. Yeah I know, he's a rookie, but I'm not expecting him to regress. I'm expecting him to play better, as he gets more familiar with the offense, and as he gets better players around him; just like he did at UT. You can't play so well, on team that is so bad, and regress. Especially not if the team has $40 million in cap room.

gundam470 wrote:
    Poot wrote:
    urbman wrote:

Leave.

No, he's right.
    Except that he's not. Well, it is true, as long as you don't watch many football games.

As far as talent, expectations, and impact go, they're on different levels. You put Roethlisberger behind Tennessee offensive line, and the mercy of receivers who rarely get separation, and he's not gonna do a whole lot. And if you talk about upside, well, then it's not even remotely competitive. Roethlisberger is not going to to run for 30+ touchdowns twice in the same season. VY in a good day will clean out Big Ben on great day.

And again, you just can't compare the talent around those two. Here are the 2004 total defense rankings. These are the rankings for 2006. Look at them, and tell me those two quarterbacks had similar seasons. The difference couldn't be more dramatic.

celery77 wrote:

I'm pretty sure celery said as much, during the championship series. More accurately, I believe celery said the rules were skewed to favor Wade(s).

He was insane his rookie season he took risk and did things that he doesnt anymore. I always noticed since cower took over that the steelers have a good QB for 1-2 seasons then they blow.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2006
    Best defense in the NFL. Worse defense in the NFL. You can't look at that and again say they're similar because Roethlisberger "took risks."

Also, those 2004 Steelers had the #2 rushing offense. The Titans, right now, have the #5 rushing offense, but VY actually has a big part in that.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited December 2006
    Ahahaha.

Vince Young.

All throwing an interception. Crying on the sidelines.

Losing the game that could get his team into the playoffs.

deadonthestreet on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ahahaha.

Vince Young.

All throwing an interception. Crying on the sidelines.

Losing the game that could get his team into the playoffs.
    Dude, not cool. I'm glad the Pats won, but don't be a dick about it.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
    edited December 2006
    I'm just sick of the Vince Young hype.

He won the college national title so now he's the best quarterback and the greatest winner ever?

Dude's a mortal. He's a good player. But damn, he's not magic.

deadonthestreet on