As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ideas for an MMO

• SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sikarian wrote: »
    adejaan wrote: »
    I always thought a Wheel of Time MMO would be cool, except everyone would want to be Aes Sedai, of course. I guess the best thing to do would have some sort of thing where 3% of all chars created would manifest the ability to channel at like, level 20...but people would still complain.

If you could get the Aes Sedai thing worked out it would be cool, though. You could customize your character's background/appearance depending on what country you're from, join the Children of the Light, or be a brigand and rob people in the wilderness. I'm not sure what time period would be best though, probably after the first book but before some of the latter ones, so if your char was an Aes Sedai you could make ter'angreal and stuff like that. It would probably never work as an MMO, but it's interesting to think about.

Forget that noise, I'd rather be Aiel. Aes Sedai can be all snooty by themselves.

Besides, I'd want to play a male character. I wouldn't want to be hunted down in world PVP at level 20 just because my character is one that happens to channel.

Aiel all the way.

The major problem is that if the MMO of Wheel of time, ended up anything like the book, it would start off awesome, but each expansion would offer less and less real content (but more threesomes) and eventually you'd start to feel like it's just some big cash grab. Then finally you'd get near the end of the game, and all the servers would die.

Too soon?

Eh, bordering tasteful, but the judges say it's okay. I gave up about book 7 or so.

Sikarian on
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Forget that noise, I'd rather be Aiel. Aes Sedai can be all snooty by themselves.

Besides, I'd want to play a male character. I wouldn't want to be hunted down in world PVP at level 20 just because my character is one that happens to channel.

Aiel all the way.

That's what would be so cool about it though. You could be from any nation you wanted (even Seanchan). And if the time period was set late enough in the series, if your character was a guy that could channel you could go to the Black Tower. If it took place after Winter's Heart you wouldn't even have to worry about your character going mad! (not sure how that would be implemented anyways, lol).

That's why it might be better to have the time period set just before the last book or something. That way you'd have all the advancements of that Age and then you could just do quests that have to do with helping Rand fight the Last Battle or whatever.

I probably would want to be Aes Sedai though... >.> but there are a lot of cool things you could do with that too. If your character turned out to be able to channel at level 20 you could go to the Tower and learn how to channel. Then you'd be able to choose your Ajah, and there could be a ton of different quests in lots of different countries that pertain to what Ajah you chose. Like quests to hunt down men who can channel, or 'pursuing causes' or seeking knowledge or whatever. It could be a situation where which Ajah you chose for your character could actually be something based on your own personality.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duonguyenduonguyen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone tried Wurmz Online? It addresses alot of what you guys want out of it, exploration, a changing world, politics, city building, player crafting. What it lacks is graphics and steep learning curve. More actions as well, but it's a unique game onto itself. if only they had more money....

duonguyen on
  • FeonisFeonis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like a game that has a realistic economy, one that fluctuates normally, bartering, trading, buying, selling, what have you. For some strange reason I think it would be fun to play in a game like that. So long as everything else was on par as well.

Feonis on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MechWarrior MMO.

I pray to baby jesus for this MMO to come out in my lifetime.

Hembot on
    edited March 2008
    I always thought a Wheel of Time MMO would be cool, except everyone would want to be Aes Sedai, of course. I guess the best thing to do would have some sort of thing where 3% of all chars created would manifest the ability to channel at like, level 20...but people would still complain.

If you could get the Aes Sedai thing worked out it would be cool, though. You could customize your character's background/appearance depending on what country you're from, join the Children of the Light, or be a brigand and rob people in the wilderness. I'm not sure what time period would be best though, probably after the first book but before some of the latter ones, so if your char was an Aes Sedai you could make ter'angreal and stuff like that. It would probably never work as an MMO, but it's interesting to think about.

Aiel all the way.

The major problem is that if the MMO of Wheel of time, ended up anything like the book, it would start off awesome, but each expansion would offer less and less real content (but more threesomes) and eventually you'd start to feel like it's just some big cash grab. Then finally you'd get near the end of the game, and all the servers would die.

Too soon?

Nah. Even with RJ was alive my dad was fond of saying "More F8#KING FORSAKEN? I'm getting old and this guy better finish the book before I die". Though saddened I found sweet irony in RJ's death. My dad is the one who got me into fantasy novels and always has something good for me to read.

What about WoT but like 10 yeards before the breaking...in the age of legends? It'd be all futuristic and stuff. They could add tons of new content but keep trollocs and the like on as the oncoming "new breed of badguys". They could problably excercise about 2 expansions before doing a six month - 1 year long "breaking of the world". At that point there could be a mirror shard (all higher level content- think TBC) that has the same map but...after a huge cataclysm. (but male channelers get screwed at the breaking...)

The game could last about 6-7 years on that while the developers work on graphic updates for new systems and evolve something near the time of the books.

I'm not sure how going from futuristic to horses would work with a lot of subscribers...but that's why there's magic involved!

edit:
    The main problem I see in WoT is how channelers can simply learn weaves by seeing someone else doing them. This doesn't fit traditional gameplay where skills are learned at a fee.

- Perhaps if there was a limit on the threads a channeler could see being woven. and the number of threads increased based on character/skill level...

Hembot on
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hembot wrote: »

Aiel all the way.

Too soon?

Nah. Even with RJ was alive my dad was fond of saying "More F8#KING FORSAKEN? I'm getting old and this guy better finish the book before I die". Though saddened I found sweet irony in RJ's death. My dad is the one who got me into fantasy novels and always has something good for me to read.

What about WoT but like 10 yeards before the breaking...in the age of legends? It'd be all futuristic and stuff. They could add tons of new content but keep trollocs and the like on as the oncoming "new breed of badguys". They could problably excercise about 2 expansions before doing a six month - 1 year long "breaking of the world". At that point there could be a mirror shard (all higher level content- think TBC) that has the same map but...after a huge cataclysm. (but male channelers get screwed at the breaking...)

The game could last about 6-7 years on that while the developers work on graphic updates for new systems and evolve something near the time of the books.

I'm not sure how going from futuristic to horses would work with a lot of subscribers...but that's why there's magic involved!

edit:
    The main problem I see in WoT is how channelers can simply learn weaves by seeing someone else doing them. This doesn't fit traditional gameplay where skills are learned at a fee.

- Perhaps if there was a limit on the threads a channeler could see being woven. and the number of threads increased based on character/skill level...

Having the game set during the War of Power would work too I guess, except that yeah, once the Hundred Companions sealed the Bore, all the male channelers would be screwed. I'm not sure how that would work - since obviously the people playing male channelers can't just have their characters dying all the time. That's why I thought it would work better to have the game set after Rand cleanses saidin.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I keep screaming about a Pokemon MMO, and it's been mentioned in this thread, so I won't go on.

But, I would like to see some localizations of Japanese MMOs. Gundam and Monster Hunter, to be exact.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I keep screaming about a Pokemon MMO, and it's been mentioned in this thread, so I won't go on.

But, I would like to see some localizations of Japanese MMOs. Gundam and Monster Hunter, to be exact.

Front Mission Online too

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to see, other than a much more expansive world, is a bigger role for guilds. I haven't played many MMO's (ok so just one, WoW) so this may have been done before.

But remember in Baldur's Gate, and other RPG's, how a "guild" would have it's own headquarters? It's own personal fortress? I'd like to see player created guilds have the ability to do that.

Think about it, currently guilds are nothing more than "gangs". They meetup wherever, and don't have a place of their own. But what if you start as a gang, and eventually have enough members to become a full blown guild. Now you find this little spot in the middle of nowhere, some place not easily found, and you start building. The guild members chip in money can you start with a little shack. As more money is invested, the building can be upgraded. Eventually you can employ NPC guards and laborers, defensive structures, etc. etc.

Now as you grow in size, another guild see's you as a threat. They send out scouts to locate you're base of operations and orchestrate a raid on you. Guild vs. guild. But what they don't know is you've formed an alliance and now they're fighting two guilds.

As your guild grows in size, you also get a reputation with NPC's as well. Say eventually you reach a size where you become lords of the land for a certain area. NPC's villagers pay you taxes. The "law enforcement" turns a blind eye to shady dealings your members are involved in. You're informed of other guild activities on your "turf". And so on.

I dunno, just thought that would be cool.

That.. erm.. that's what Shadowbane did.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited March 2008
    too bad shadowbane had to suck

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »

Yea, I wasted a god damn huge amount of time waiting for that piece of crap to come out.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One thing I'd like to see, other than a much more expansive world, is a bigger role for guilds. I haven't played many MMO's (ok so just one, WoW) so this may have been done before.

But remember in Baldur's Gate, and other RPG's, how a "guild" would have it's own headquarters? It's own personal fortress? I'd like to see player created guilds have the ability to do that.

Think about it, currently guilds are nothing more than "gangs". They meetup wherever, and don't have a place of their own. But what if you start as a gang, and eventually have enough members to become a full blown guild. Now you find this little spot in the middle of nowhere, some place not easily found, and you start building. The guild members chip in money can you start with a little shack. As more money is invested, the building can be upgraded. Eventually you can employ NPC guards and laborers, defensive structures, etc. etc.

Now as you grow in size, another guild see's you as a threat. They send out scouts to locate you're base of operations and orchestrate a raid on you. Guild vs. guild. But what they don't know is you've formed an alliance and now they're fighting two guilds.

As your guild grows in size, you also get a reputation with NPC's as well. Say eventually you reach a size where you become lords of the land for a certain area. NPC's villagers pay you taxes. The "law enforcement" turns a blind eye to shady dealings your members are involved in. You're informed of other guild activities on your "turf". And so on.

Almost like Lineage. You can take over castles, seige them, there's guards and stuff, gives benefits to the guild that owns it.

However, the problem with your idea is that it sounds awesome but has no practical application. Let's say I'm in uber guild #1 that's got about 80 members and have played together with roughly the same people since Everquest. We go from game to game and typically dominate the server we go on, adding new players depending on need, but always keeping a core group.

We join your fictional MMO and our uber guild again dominates. We have the best gear, lots of guards and own lands and get taxes all the time and we actively destroy any guilds we see forming or trying to take over any territories. We have no lives and play this about 10-12 hours a day, every day of the week.

That guild you and your 5 or 6 friends are trying to make? We stomp it out before it starts. You don't get a little hideout or base of operations. You odn't get to grow and hire npc guards or take over lands. We own it. If a guild can only own so much land, we make multiple guilds and cooperate to control all the lands.

How do you deal with that in a video game setting? You aren't rolling on my server because you cant get any of hte cool stuff. You arent joining other guilds because you are trying to get in my guild(s) and have your run of hte world.

I understand where you are coming from and what youa re trying to do, but people online are assholes. We want everything and we will do everything to cheat the system and benefit the most. WoW used to have honour trading where the top honour getters would set limits on how much honour they could get instead of grinding 1 million honour a week. Top would get say 400k, second would get 370k, etc and when you get rank 14, youd help others grind honour in WSG, but would drop out once you hit a certain amount of honour, thus insuring the group keeps getting the top spots and keeping the honour train going. You can't beat these people and if you try, they all just raise their honour cap higher than you and maintain the chain, locking you out of hte higher ranks or making it take you months longer than it should.

They don't do that now, but that's the way it used to be. Anything that can be zerged for rewards will be zerged by bigger and bigger guilds and the little people that signed up for the cool features you speak of get jack squat without heavy restrictions that make it less "fun" for the bigger guilds, which make the company more money.

KVW on
    edited March 2008
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

Yea, I wasted a god damn huge amount of time waiting for that piece of crap to come out.

I actually had some fun in the starter area with my minotaur warrior. it was actually kinda logically set up. but once you get kicked out of there, you're fucked

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    Lotsa stuff.
    I agree with pretty much everything said. While I would not be quite as ambitious as that, I agree that a large and more realistic world would make so much more sense than the tiny areas crammed full of quests and "epic story" we get in games like World of Warcraft.

I would like four major features for my MMORPG that I find current MMO's are sadly lacking in.

1) Dynamic and realistic world.

Farmlands where crops are actually grown, mountains and plains that are more than borders and spaces between zones and quests and cities that are more than a couple of dozen houses filled with vendors and quest givers but rather hundreds of houses with NPC's going about their daily business. Mines and lumber camps that can be won or lost depending on regional safety and political conflicts. A world where character actions can make regions safer and richer, allowing towns and factions to prosper or dwindle. Trade routes and industries that can be started and need to be protected.

2) Multi-layered fame and reputation systems.

Any quest or important action a character does will earn him fame both locally and globally if the task is large enough, as well as making him either more liked or hated by relevant factions. Killing a goblin chieftain will give him much local fame, a little fame with the faction that the local town is linked to, bonus reputation with the same faction and a loss of reputation with the goblin faction.

A character is not bound by his initial choice of nation or race and can switch freely assuming he is not too disliked by the faction he wishes to join. Becoming a renegade and working for "evil factions" should also be an option.

3) Politics.

A players actions will not only affect his own standing, but also further peace or war between the factions of the game. Political relations will change both by world events and the actions of the player base. Skirmishes, banditry and raids by players may bring two nations into full-blown war. After a declaration of war weeks of skirmishes and battles will follow, eventually leading up to a final siege on one of the losing sides cities that will either end in the agressor retreating due to too heavy losses or them actually capturing the city.

In a similar fashion relations with "NPC"-factions can be either fostered or damaged by player actions. Trading with the mysterious underground Farnlah people could further the wealth of the nation while allowing characters access to their excellent swords and pikes, while a conflict with them would prove disasterous to the local mining safety. On the other hand raids into their towns would provide players with all the Farnlah armor and weapons they want.

4) Unique quests and events.

While many quests can still be very generic, I am sick and tired of killing vancleef for the tenth time only to see him mysteriously yield 5 heads. When named enemies are killed they should be replaced by new leaders from the lower ranks with new names and appearances. If an escort quest is failed, that quest NPC now lies dead in the forest. Through long-term efforts of players a monster faction can even be driven from an area or wiped out, later replaced by new dangers. And if you after killing orcs for a few hours for the townsfolk of a village are given a quest to kill their king you can be almost certain that you alone have been charged with that task. Gathering allies and friends to kill him becomes all the more important because without you sharing the quest with them they would never get the chance to do it. And who knows, the added security from weakening the goblin tribe and the trade from the lumber mill that could be founded after clearing the forest they inhabited might actually give the town enough money to build that town hall they had been saving up for.

Yes.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »

Almost like Lineage. You can take over castles, seige them, there's guards and stuff, gives benefits to the guild that owns it.

However, the problem with your idea is that it sounds awesome but has no practical application. Let's say I'm in uber guild #1 that's got about 80 members and have played together with roughly the same people since Everquest. We go from game to game and typically dominate the server we go on, adding new players depending on need, but always keeping a core group.

We join your fictional MMO and our uber guild again dominates. We have the best gear, lots of guards and own lands and get taxes all the time and we actively destroy any guilds we see forming or trying to take over any territories. We have no lives and play this about 10-12 hours a day, every day of the week.

That guild you and your 5 or 6 friends are trying to make? We stomp it out before it starts. You don't get a little hideout or base of operations. You odn't get to grow and hire npc guards or take over lands. We own it. If a guild can only own so much land, we make multiple guilds and cooperate to control all the lands.

How do you deal with that in a video game setting? You aren't rolling on my server because you cant get any of hte cool stuff. You arent joining other guilds because you are trying to get in my guild(s) and have your run of hte world.

I understand where you are coming from and what youa re trying to do, but people online are assholes. We want everything and we will do everything to cheat the system and benefit the most. WoW used to have honour trading where the top honour getters would set limits on how much honour they could get instead of grinding 1 million honour a week. Top would get say 400k, second would get 370k, etc and when you get rank 14, youd help others grind honour in WSG, but would drop out once you hit a certain amount of honour, thus insuring the group keeps getting the top spots and keeping the honour train going. You can't beat these people and if you try, they all just raise their honour cap higher than you and maintain the chain, locking you out of hte higher ranks or making it take you months longer than it should.

They don't do that now, but that's the way it used to be. Anything that can be zerged for rewards will be zerged by bigger and bigger guilds and the little people that signed up for the cool features you speak of get jack squat without heavy restrictions that make it less "fun" for the bigger guilds, which make the company more money.
    I would make it work! You crusher of dreams!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »

I would make it work! You crusher of dreams!

This is an issue. Any influence by the NPC factions in a game will in some way diminish the freedom of the players in the game, but at the same time it is vital to prevent players from gaining too much power. In EVE peacekeeping forces play this role by letting players be safe in highsec space. In a fantasy MMORPG this would not make sense in quite the same way. While a world completely controlled by players would be cool, I do not see a way to make it work without a huge number of people becoming alienated from the game by gankings and powerplay by the big guilds.

I'd go an easier way by letting players affect politics without actually controlling them. Through the use of NPC factions as the movers and shakers in politics, the pace at which change happens can be controlled. If you are playing a MMORPG where cities can be taken, you don't want it to be possible to do this over night.

Example: The MMORPG's world is divided into three "main" factions. Players of the green faction decide that they want to give those foreign bastards of the red faction a taste of cold steel. Through contact with warmongering questgivers from the green faction and independant action they start to raid and sabotage along the border between red and green. Ambassadors arrive from the red faction, but are assassinated by player characters. Eventually full blown war starts, and new battleground areas are unlocked all along the war front. In these, groups of players sabotage/defend supply lines, lead raids, siege forts etc. Powerful guilds will be able to heavily influence the outcome of the battle, but they have no actual control over it. And though the green nation might after a lengthy campain take a city, political pressure from the blue nation might force them to make peace with the reds or be forced to face a two way war.

Almost all MMO's of today follows WoW's lead here by giving players and guilds absolutely no power to change the world, while EVE is the other extreme with (almost) complete player power. I think a middle ground would be best, but world interaction is not considered a selling point in MMO's today.

Vic on
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I've had this idea for a while now. It could be considered a combination of Spore meeting a MMO.

The game setting is the human body; A human body to be precise. The character plays as a cell who gradually "evolves" throughout play. Understood this evolution would be happening rapidly but hey, its a video game. A new character/cell could start out having "quests" to bring oxygen/carbon molecules to a specific organ. Perhaps you need to travel to the lungs to bring oxygen to the heart or something along those lines. Instead of leveling in the traditional sense I imagine earning "evolution points" to purchase new cell parts. Also, a simulation of mitosis could be interesting in allowing for advancement. Allow permadeath of your current cell which is then replaced by sibling/child cells of your previous. You need to generate "offspring" so you have backups of yourself.

For PvP you could allow factions. Everyone starts off a cell, being part of the body, but eventually you can branch off and develop into a virus. Perhaps being taken over by one and forced to spread the virus. Again you since you have created backups of yourself earlier you could always "die" and return to a regular cell. Then these virsues/bacteria/etc would be able to attack the human body cells.

-Travel would be done through veins. Quickly transporting around the body depending on where you're headed.
    -Communcation done through a upgrade that connects the cell to the CNS, allowing global chat with other cells/organs.
    -"Guilds" could be made up to protect certain organs. Doing "quests" that help raise its defenses.
    -Faction based combat to attack organs/body parts.
    -Varing "content" depending on what the body is doing. Perhaps the body catches the flu, or has a broken limb.
    -First person view as you swim through the blood stream.

I don't know, just my two cents. I could go on but its just a basic summary of some of the ideas I had for the game. Throw in yours!

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • xBocephussxxBocephussx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PaperPlate wrote: »
    Okay, I've had this idea for a while now. It could be considered a combination of Spore meeting a MMO.

The game setting is the human body; A human body to be precise. The character plays as a cell who gradually "evolves" throughout play. Understood this evolution would be happening rapidly but hey, its a video game. A new character/cell could start out having "quests" to bring oxygen/carbon molecules to a specific organ. Perhaps you need to travel to the lungs to bring oxygen to the heart or something along those lines. Instead of leveling in the traditional sense I imagine earning "evolution points" to purchase new cell parts. Also, a simulation of mitosis could be interesting in allowing for advancement. Allow permadeath of your current cell which is then replaced by sibling/child cells of your previous. You need to generate "offspring" so you have backups of yourself.

For PvP you could allow factions. Everyone starts off a cell, being part of the body, but eventually you can branch off and develop into a virus. Perhaps being taken over by one and forced to spread the virus. Again you since you have created backups of yourself earlier you could always "die" and return to a regular cell. Then these virsues/bacteria/etc would be able to attack the human body cells.

-Travel would be done through veins. Quickly transporting around the body depending on where you're headed.
    -Communcation done through a upgrade that connects the cell to the CNS, allowing global chat with other cells/organs.
    -"Guilds" could be made up to protect certain organs. Doing "quests" that help raise its defenses.
    -Varing "content" depending on what the body is doing. Perhaps the body catches the flu, or has a broken limb.

I don't know, just my two cents. I could go on but its just a basic summary of some of the ideas I had for the game. Throw in yours!

WHAT ABOUT TEH VAGIN?? I also want Spore to come sooner

xBocephussx on
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PaperPlate wrote: »

Thats gotta be the most original idea for an MMO I've ever come across. Imagine the world map for that thing, "I'm just heading down to the liver to do some grinding".

I've always thought it would be funny with all the people who whine and cry about game balance in MMOs to have an MMO where the players can vote for whatever game balance changes they want, and in a month or so all the changes with enough votes would be implemented.

Everyone says rogues are overpowered? They get voted into oblivion.
    Mages are weak? Next month they can call in an orbital bombardment and kill absolutely everything.

Obviously it would never work. But at least no one could complain that the balance issues were anything but their own fault.

RawrBear on
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dunno if it's been mentioned yet or not but I would love to see an MMO based off of Interstate 76.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to see something a bit more mellow, too. Like an MMO built around roleplay and character relationships.

Like a "Harvest Moon" MMO.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, surprised no one has mentioned a Fallout MMO. Ok its not my idea but I think the MMO license is the only thing still in the hands of Interplay (original creators of Fallout).

I imagine the world being similar to EVE in that most of the world is unexplored and dangerous. It should also be large enough that one group cannot control vast amounts without needing help from other guilds or clans.

I would really imagine the world being full of mystery so you never know what your going to find when you set out. Vast amounts of territory to explore and mutant freaks to meet/kill. Also I think that your character should have to eat/drink to promote a survival aspect of the game. Secure locations and friends should be a rare commodity.
    Player made towns/forts should be encouraged and have different stages such as squat/hideout/fort/village etc. Ultimate goal is to be the biggest baddest mofo in the wastelands.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dunno if it's been mentioned yet or not but I would love to see an MMO based off of Interstate 76.

I think they tried that.

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Though there are innumerable settings and themes I'd like to see in an MMO, the only thing I really care about is this:

Reflex-based combat. Can I do a little work aiming myself? Please? I don't want to be able to eat a sandwich and play at the same time. Even extremely simple stuff... one button for melee and one for ranged, like Fable. (not that I'm going to complain if a Tekken-themed MMO comes out) Just, please. I want my brain to do the timing work instead of building a spreadsheet to macro the best hunter shot rotation.

MrMonroe on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Though there are innumerable settings and themes I'd like to see in an MMO, the only thing I really care about is this:

Reflex-based combat. Can I do a little work aiming myself? Please? I don't want to be able to eat a sandwich and play at the same time. Even extremely simple stuff... one button for melee and one for ranged, like Fable. (not that I'm going to complain if a Tekken-themed MMO comes out) Just, please. I want my brain to do the timing work instead of building a spreadsheet to macro the best hunter shot rotation.
    Check out Lunia.

Aldo on
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN SHADOWRUN

In the style of the old 16-bit SNES game. Also, the opening riffs from that game *must* be played.

Just try to deny the awesomeness.

I dare you.

Otaking on
    edited April 2008
    Toying with a South Park MMO.

· Shitty 2d animation in a 3d environment
    · Twisted Humor *mature rating*
    · GTA style but with wierder quests involving some blue faced asshole with a sword etc.

Hembot on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ok, in all seriousness, pokemon mmo. does anyone else want a pokemon mmo? i think it would absolutely kill me, and i would die with a smile. and a bulbasaur.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

· GTA style but with wierder quests involving some blue faced asshole with a sword etc.

I, uh...

Single player game, yes.

MMO? Hell no.

Vic on
  • SikarianSikarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    ok, in all seriousness, pokemon mmo. does anyone else want a pokemon mmo? i think it would absolutely kill me, and i would die with a smile. and a bulbasaur.

I would be the one trainer standing there blocking the path.

IN SHORT SHORTS.

BUG CATCHER JIM

Sikarian on
    edited April 2008
    Vic wrote: »

I, uh...

Single player game, yes.

MMO? Hell no.

It'd be more like "second life" than a hack'n'slash. All the 1-player southpark games I've tried are shitty.

My buddy and I also spoke extensively about a mechwarrior MMO that was kind of like an RTS. You could leave a capital city or various "safe zones" and go build a base near resources. There'd be a mech you started with and you could upgrade it with new weapons/armor at the base. You could even build a better mech but it would take a long time.

The things you make could be hauled back to the capital city for sale/trade. Thing is, your camp could always be raided by npc's or an opposing faction and you could loose all the resources and tools you brought out of the safe zone.

Players could hire mercs to protect them, and wheel out easy to kill transport vehicles for resource collecting or building platforms to build a base faster...start it out with some laser defenses or cloaking devices etc. Mechs would carry very small build platforms and hold minimal resources so they'd be used more for blowing stuff up and taking salvage.

Bit of a mash but you get the idea :)

Hembot on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You could leave a capital city or various "safe zones" and go build a base near resources.

That's the one thing I think should be completely eliminated from MMOs.

I just picked up mount and blade, a kinda indie game last night. Played it up to the six level demo cap and whipped out my Visa for the full version without getting out of the chair. THAT would make a great MMO.

MrMonroe on
  • killerkabutokillerkabuto Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've got an idea for an MMO. It's about this guy, who wished and wished till it came true; and now this dude can fly...

and another one involving fingers and bottles of mister pibb. Who's with me?

killerkabuto on
    edited April 2008
    Have we had the obligatory zombie apocalypse MMO idea yet?

Like MrMonroe has said, safe zones need to be taken out and only player made safe zones should be allowed.
    Would an MMO based around survival and teamwork actually be feasible? All my previous MMO experience points to....no.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What about something called: "The Job", and it's all about working at an office. You have to earn XP by talking to boring ass co-workers, surfing the internet without being caught, going on side-quests like buying lunch or attending a team meeting, or fun mini-games like filling out paperwork and creating reports.

RocketSauce on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sad that you pretty much just described what I do daily.

(secretly posting on the internet)

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    Play the game called Average! Play your character in exciting ways, marvel at their averageness as they do things like drive their car, catch the bus and die a little inside as their soul is sucked from them inch by inch by the gears of industry!

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »

I've longed for this forever. There are a limitless amount of possibilities to make this the most awesome game ever made. I could go on for hours about how awesome this game could be, but I won't. It will never happen, because Nintendo hates me, and they suck at online. This means that it would either never come out, or if it did, you couldn't chat with other players, add Pokefriends to your friend list, or catch and raise pokemon. Still, this opens up a HUGE market for whatever developer would make a "monster catching" MMO. As long as it had a decent character creator, decent looking monsters, and plays fairly well, I'd pay $texas.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Have we had the obligatory zombie apocalypse MMO idea yet?

Like MrMonroe has said, safe zones need to be taken out and only player made safe zones should be allowed.
    Would an MMO based around survival and teamwork actually be feasible? All my previous MMO experience points to....no.

Unfortunately, an MMO predicated around the playerbase 'cooperating or dying' seems like it'd inevitably lead to everyone dying. I guess some large, pre-existing communities might join and enforce order to some extent, but that seems like a risky assumption to make.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget