As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enough with the [Cass]tholic guilt, [Chat]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm depressed and mildly buzzed, but I suppose that's just a side effect to having some huge changes in your life that make you totally rethink the way you've been living and acting the last few years.

Welcome to existence. It sucks.

I suggest a pet of some kind.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sheri wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    God! What the fuck is wrong with people who like Shakespeare? God fucking fuck fuck fuck! FUCK!

I hated Shakespeare until I read Hamlet.

Don't mind Kusu.

He's bitching, perchance to suck.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    God! What the fuck is wrong with people who like Shakespeare? God fucking fuck fuck fuck! FUCK!

Don't mind Kusu.

No, no. Hamlet is alright. Everything else is drivel.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Don't mind Kusu.

The Tempest?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tempest? Fuck the Tempest. I've read better stories in Reader's Digest

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Don't mind Kusu.

You have not read all his works.

The popular stuff is popular because it's at a level where normal people at least have some spare chance to think they understand what's going on.

Dig deeper man.

He's not perfect by any length, and personally I find Ben Johnson more interesting, but ol' Billy's pretty damn impressive if your literary background is deep enough.

But, in all fairness, you have to read old legends and such for fun begin to grasp it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I got back from spending christmas with my relatives, which is also fun. My great uncle, who is hella old, always is drunk by dinner time, so yea fun times.

"Who put this wine in the mashed potatoes......... good idea now I don't need a glass."

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Also Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty cool

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The more intelligent you are, the more you realize Shakespeare's genius.

This is why Kusu doesn't get it.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm depressed and mildly buzzed, but I suppose that's just a side effect to having some huge changes in your life that make you totally rethink the way you've been living and acting the last few years.
    Toward the end of my junior year in high school when my family was finally moving back into a house after a tornado blew down the old one, it occurred to me that I wasn't mean enough to people. Is it kind of like that?

Too much sitting around doing nothing and associating with vapid bitches.
    Believe it or not, that's more similar to mine than I expected. :?

College changes everything, if that helps.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:

No. I get it. It's just not great. He gets way more credit than he deserves. Also, poetry is for emo-hipster faggots like Poldy. This is why Poldy "gets it"

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Also Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty cool

You just saved yourself from being hunted down and skinned to make parchment.

BARELY.

BARELY.

--

Kusu, Petrarch was a JOKE at that time.

Have you ever read his Dark Lady sonnets?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

No. I get it. It's just not great. He gets way more credit than he deserves. Also, poetry is for emo-hipster faggots like Poldy. This is why Poldy "gets it"

It's not really poetry, Kusu.

Seriously, I've debated about Shakespeare with much more widely read people than you Kusu. If you aren't even going to bring some c77 level game, it's not even worth it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That is because you enjoy prose and iambic pentameter and sonnets and things that were created to woo homosexuals poldy. you aren't intelligent if you like shakespeare. you're homosexual, and also a condescending twat with a superiority complex. i don't care if you've debated shakespeare with a god damned poet laureate, it doesn't make him a good writer.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Generally, if you do not occassionally laugh while reading Shakespeare thinking something like "Ah HAH!," then you have not earned the title of Literate Reader.

Even if you don't LIKE him, the fucker was pretty damned clever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    You've got it backwards, ace.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    That is because you enjoy prose and iambic pentameter and sonnets and things that were created to woo homosexuals poldy. you aren't intelligent if you like shakespeare. you're homosexual, and also a condescending twat with a superiority complex. i don't care if you've debated shakespeare with a god damned poet laureate, it doesn't make him a good writer.
    So what you're saying is that MrMister and jeeps must like Shakespeare, because they love wangs?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

Shakespeare got mad honnies.

Shakespeare in Love?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Generally, if you do not occassionally laugh while reading Shakespeare thinking something like "Ah HAH!," then you have not earned the title of Literate Reader.

I will give you that he was clever. I'll give you that. I've chuckled a bit at some of his plays. It's meant to be acted out, not read. It's easier for me to enjoy Shakespeare if good actors are out there doin' their thang. He was an alright playwright, but a pretty terrible writer overall.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

See, I used to think like you. I am an English major now. I am a big Shakespeare fan, and I think poetry rules.

You'll learn.

Dada dada da da, da, daaaa

Dada dad da da, da, daaaaa

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    pretty terrible writer overall.

Kusu, you like Garden State. You are in no position to be evaluating writing skills.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy, you're an idiot. You have no place evaluating anything ever.

To Evil Multifarious:
    I am already an English Major. English Majors do not have to like poetry. Poetry is a retarded way to get a message across.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

I will give you that he was clever. I'll give you that. I've chuckled a bit at some of his plays. It's meant to be acted out, not read. It's easier for me to enjoy Shakespeare if good actors are out there doin' their thang. He was an alright playwright, but a pretty terrible writer overall.

Yes, this is a big issue with modern Shakespeare teachings. Also the horribly crappy reinterpretations many people got exposed to. When I took my Shakespeare class, they had Shakespeare in the Park around, and I went to it.

It was reinterpreted as...

...The WWII era.

The worst part?

It ultimately ended up making the NAZIs look like the only sane people.

SO VERY WRONG

I mean I realize that there were anti-Jewish things in some of his plays, but FUCK.

Also, horribly bad acting.

--

Poetry can be very powerful. Just not right now.

Poetry was extremely powerful before the Enlightenment, and during serious times of hardship. Music was the same; now neither have much power in Western culture.

Fuck man, context.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poetry is fucking stupid.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:
    I am already an English Major. English Majors do not have to like poetry. Poetry is a retarded way to get a message across.

Poetry doesn't have to be carrying a message. Poetry can do all sorts of things. Even when it does carry a message, it is no more "retarded" than writing a prose story to carry a message. If you think that way, why bother having a "message" at all in writing, besides straight-to-the-point academic essays?

Because it'd be fucking boring.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

Political Science majors are stupid

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Except when set to a rhythm and melody. And even then it's hit or mis.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:
    Poetry doesn't have to be carrying a message. Poetry can do all sorts of things. Even when it does carry a message, it is no more "retarded" than writing a prose story to carry a message. If you think that way, why bother having a "message" at all in writing, besides straight-to-the-point academic essays?

If you don't have any sort of a message, why would you be writing anything?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Catholic college students are stupid.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:

Prose stories are lame as well. Anything with a meter is a chore to write. If you are writing something with no message, you shouldn't be writing it. Isn't this like day one stuff? Why write a poem if you aren't trying to tell someone something? Just because the words look pretty when put together in that particular fashion?

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

People who like Lean Pockets are stupid

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:

I'm sorry but none of the speeches I wrote this semester were boring and all but one of them had a specific point. And none of those points could have been made clearly to the entire audience in poem-form.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Lucky I don't like Lean Pockets, then, eh?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Why write a poem if you aren't trying to tell someone something? Just because the words look pretty when put together in that particular fashion?

Arthur Symmons/John Ashberry, much?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Why write a poem if you aren't trying to tell someone something? Just because the words look pretty when put together in that particular fashion?

Arthur Symmons/John Ashberry, much?
    I don't care who those people are. I bet they are shitty.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Poetry is a retarded way to get a message across.
    It has its purposes. It serves Shakespeare's writing well, because utilising poetic form can give life to what would otherwise be boring words.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:

This is what I'm talking about. The message isn't necessarily the most important thing. Why do you read a story? Do you read it for its message? I really think you don't. The message can add to it, and in some cases it can be the driving force of the story/poem/whatever, but there are other elements to it. Those other elements are why any form of writing besides technical writing exist.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:

To Evil Multifarious:

This is what I'm talking about. The message isn't necessarily the most important thing. Why do you read a story? Do you read it for its message? I really think you don't. The message can add to it, and in some cases it can be the driving force of the story/poem/whatever, but there are other elements to it. Those other elements are why any form of writing besides technical writing exist.
    Without a theme, writing is purposeless. Seriously, day 1, junior high stuff man.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Basically what Kusu is saying is: Fuck verbal communication.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Lucky I don't like Lean Pockets, then, eh?

Curses!

Hot Pockets are my bane yet again

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.