As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EDIT: Talk about your LCS (formerly about lowlife stores)(Comic Shop Thread)

grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Graphic Violence
Would anybody here shop at a store where its owner camps out outside a competing store across town and harasses their customers with fliers to try to get them to go elsewhere? It's totally uncool, as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm never shopping there!

grendel824_ on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh...okay... o_O

Is it too late to ask what exactly you're talking about?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd shop wherever the customer service/prices are better.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is harassment a customer service?

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is if it's funny.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could take the high and mighty route... but frankly, I'd probably just shop at whatever place was most convienient... or had the hottest punk/goth girl working the counter.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    or had the hottest punk/goth girl working the counter.

I'm glad someone else said it.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    In re-reading the OP I've established a new respect for just how funny it is.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I demand that my shops go even lower. I refuse to shop at a store unless they literally fire bomb other stores.

Bloods End on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

They have those? Man I need to find a better shop.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think the two store owners should have some weekly nerd contest for customers. CCGs, girly slap fights, what have you.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I think the two store owners should have some weekly nerd contest for customers. CCGs, girly slap fights, what have you.

See now I have an image of two customers doing the Xander/Harmony epic slapfight from 'Buffy'.

Desktop Hippie on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did this really deserve a new thread?

No. No it did not.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now I'm thinking of that remake of That Darn Cat, with those dueling gas station owners across the street from each other.

I'm pretty sure both their stations got blown up.

You should tell this story to the owner and make him knock it off.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Now I'm thinking of that remake of That Darn Cat, with those dueling gas station owners across the street from each other.

I'm pretty sure both their stations got blown up.

You should tell this story to the owner and make him knock it off.

"look buddy, i saw this in a doug e doug movie one time and, well, let's just say it all ended in tears, you get what i'm saying?"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I WISH I'd have said it!

There is truth in those words!

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Comic stores have girls that work them?

All I've ever seen is the typical CBG.

Mr Pink on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, this one comic shop in town has a chick working there. She's average at best and certainly not a reason to go cross town to get my comics.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    my store is having a sale on fcbd. some number of dollars for a pound of comics. they did it once before and i got a pound, so i might do it again. the only think i can think of off the top of my head from that pile is the third issue of the 90s luke cage series, which was quite a ride.

hey, this can just be the thread about your own shop now.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My shop has been around for 22 years in the same location. I asked the manager how he survived 1995 during the comic crash and said it was pretty tough. Anyway they're cool because they give me a 20% discount for my continued patronage.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2008
    my shop gives me a dollar in credit for every 10 I spend. then you can spend it when you get to 100 dollars.

Which I do with ridiculous regularity

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

No. No it did not.

Was your post constructive or worthwhile in any way?
    No. No it was not.

Apparently, you are mistaken, as people are posting here (mostly teh funnies, granted), and it's not like there's another thread about that.

I found it creepy that some guy would run up to me outside my LCS, yell "do you read COMICS!!!" and push some flier in my face for his store across town. And low. And considering that I've found out that he's stolen that store's boxes from the UPS depot on Wednesdays and wrote bigoted epithets on their boxes at other times, I don't care if he starts paying people to take his comics, I'm not setting foot in there.

And if he shows up and tries to jam another flier in my face, I'm throwing it back in his face and complaining to the local PD (apparently, it IS illegal to harass somebody when they're entering a store instead of leaving it). Luckily for my faith in human decency, the other customers I talked to felt similarly and weren't quite as mercenary as the responses here - they would've gone there if they got some flier at the mall or something, but when somebody's that much of a lowlife, they don't deserve business regardless of what they offer.

I think I bought stuff from him at SDCC one year. I now regret it.

Would you like me to teach you how to read or something? While some of the responses were hilarious, I'm afraid I'd have to sustain a pretty severe head injury and the accompanying giant loss of intelligence in order to get any laughs out of the OP.

And as far as "here's what my store is like," mine has also been around a long time - they just had their 30th anniversary. I've been going there since I was nine years old when I first moved to my current state. And pretty much half of the employees there have been girls - probably another benefit of the place being clean, well-lit, and not run by creeps who hit on anything female until they leave. They've always been really cool - they don't do as much wacky promotional stuff as they used to, but they're doing some Iron Man costume contest for movie tickets and stuff, so that might be cool. I've tried to check out and give a little support to other stores, so it's not like I'm a fanatic for this one store, I just don't think certain kinds of behavior should be condoned - this store even used to mention his place if they were sold out of something - nice way to repay that courtesy, eh?

Oh well - people that don't care about that stuff end up with the kinds of stores they deserve - run by lowlifes that don't care about other people and are willing to do anything to make a buck, including ripping the customers off, knowingly dealing in stolen goods, etc.

grendel824_ on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yeah, this one comic shop in town has a chick working there. She's average at best and certainly not a reason to go cross town to get my comics.

Two girls working at mine.
    Both are "eh"
    Usually it's the guy with 50 piercings that's working when I show up

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    I wonder how long I have to shop at my place before I can get cool discounts.

How long have you guys been shopping at the same place for?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited April 2008
    I've been shopping at my place since the end of 05, or thereabouts
    Started going for the Tick: Days of Drama mini, and just never stopped
    It was like "Oh hey the first three issues of the new USM arc and some Amazing and now Moon Knight is starting" and it went from there

Me Too! on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You can move to New York City and shop at Midtown Comics. I get $20 credit for every $100 I spend.

Delduwath on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I've been going to Wizard's Comics since shortly after they opened about 10 years ago, at first mostly because they were the closest shop to the University. They have a file service where adding a certain number of titles to your file gets you 10% off your purchases and a higher number gets you 25% off. I can't remember what those numbers are but I qualify for the 25% which is nice. They've also been matching the American prices lately since the dollars are so close.

DMAC on
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

You can move to New York City and shop at Midtown Comics. I get $20 credit for every $100 I spend.

That sounds awesome, I already spend too much on comics. :P Getting credit like that would just spur me to spend more

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    I haven't gone back to my shop since I had to stop buying comics for a few months. I've had to go to another (nicer looking) shop to avoid my massive pull list backlog, but I feel kind of guilty doing that because the owner of the shop I normally go to is a really nice guy and gave everyone a discount on basically everything.

When I get a steady cashflow again I'll probably go back, but when I'm buying like, three comics at a time, I'm going to this other place.

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

Both are "eh"

I had two shops in Phoenix that had smoking hot punk girls working there...

Then I moved to colorado, and cut my dick off. Because I don't need it anymore.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

This is where I shop.

valiance on
    edited April 2008

Both are "eh"

There used to be a girl working there who was drop dead gorgeous
    But she hasn't worked there since shortly after I started going

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Would you like me to teach you how to read or something? While some of the responses were hilarious, I'm afraid I'd have to sustain a pretty severe head injury and the accompanying giant loss of intelligence in order to get any laughs out of the OP.

Whoa, calm down skipper.

Here's why it's funny. You start off your comment speaking in a very ambiguous fashion. You're asking a hypothetical question. Then, at the end of your comment, you add "I know I'm not shopping there!" as if you're speaking of something very specific - which of course you are.

It's like one of those classic scenarios where someone approaches someone and says, "I know this guy...and his balls have been really itchy lately..."
    "Well has he seen a doctor?"
    "...I don't have a doctor."

As such, I laughed at you.

edit: This was directed at Grendel not you Bale. I just messed up the quote tree because I'm deficient.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I go to a shop here in San Mateo Lee's Comics. They have a couple of stores here on the peninsula. I've been going for over a year now and really like the guys. They are all pretty chill and when I go in on "non" Wednesdays we generally just chat a little while I check things out.

Unfortunately they don't offer discounts but I don't think I've ever noticed.

smokmnky on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    valiance wrote: »

This is where I shop.

I'm gonna be in new york this summer. Maybe I will choose this one as my comic shop.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited April 2008

Both are "eh"

There used to be a girl working there who was drop dead gorgeous
    But she hasn't worked there since shortly after I started going

Coincidence??

Kidding, kidding. So, the shop I go to now is like, a Starbucks of comic shops. Bright, clean, lots of space. One I used to go to in Phoenix was cluttered, dark, and covered in old toys from my childhood: old he-men, G.I.Joes, star wars guys... all in their original packages...

I love them both, but for very different reasons.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My comic book shop is pretty much perfect for me. The staff there is nice and there is a 15% discount on everything for subscribers (free as long as you read 3 or more monthlies), with major price drops for subscribers when there are sales ($3 trades, $4 posters, $4 action figures, etc.).

Plus it is like 2 blocks away from my dorm. I am really going to miss it over the summer.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My comic store is run by an awesome guy who actually cares about his customers and he and I get into discussions about fantasy novels quite frequently.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Both are "eh"

That is awful. AWFUL I SAY! We need to organize an influx of women to Colorado. Immediately.

That said, there are 2 girls working at my LCS. One is insanely smokin hot, the other, not quite so much. My LCS has me do signings when my new books come out, so I have no complaints WHATSOEVER, cause I'm an attention whore, and they feed into that :P

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    I've been going to Wizard's Comics since shortly after they opened about 10 years ago, at first mostly because they were the closest shop to the University. They have a file service where adding a certain number of titles to your file gets you 10% off your purchases and a higher number gets you 25% off. I can't remember what those numbers are but I qualify for the 25% which is nice. They've also been matching the American prices lately since the dollars are so close.

just lately? the little shop i go to in st. albert has always matched the price for me, and i assume he does so for everyone with a pull list.

i don't actually have a pull list, but i spend so much goddamn money on trades i got my own pull box.

/edit: i don't know if he does a discount though. i would assume so. i will ask him.

Angry on