As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cojo Mojo wrote: »
    So....anyone feeling creative?

I'm sure we got some talented people here.

Somebody figure out how to re-do the Max Payne TV shows to fit the concept.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just watched the Spirit trailer, and jesus is it terrible. After it was over my first thought was 'has he ever...READ the spirit?' They even use the same fucking title font as Sin City for chrissakes, or at least something really similar.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone seem the *new* Iron man tv spots yet?

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=7415
    "You owe me a plane. You know that right?"
    "Technically he hit me"

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just watched the Spirit trailer, and jesus is it terrible. After it was over my first thought was 'has he ever...READ the spirit?' They even use the same fucking title font as Sin City for chrissakes, or at least something really similar.

The crazy part is that Frank Miller has read the Spirit and was friends with Eisner and is doing this movie partly to honor Eisner.

DouglasDanger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    201949id1_a.jpg

Bloods End on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i think i dont like that poster :(.

PantheraOnca on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The crazy part is that Frank Miller has read the Spirit and was friends with Eisner and is doing this movie partly to honor Eisner.

Frank Miller went mad the day the two towers got blown up. And he wasn't exactly an upstanding gent before that.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    no man's land

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Fact: If you purchase Watchmen merchandise you will be visited by a vengeful sasquatch in the middle of the night.

And that sasquatch is named Alan Moore.

I'll have to reset my Bigfoot traps.

They all laughed. "Furu you live in an apartment building in a city, why do you need Bigfoot traps, I'm calling the police"

That's why.

Furu on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah... that's kinda lame.

Sharp101 on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

What's all this crazy talk. That poster is awesome, I'd love to have it on my wall.

Aleph on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The burning building makes me think of Fight Club, and then I imagine Tyler Durden as a Batman villain.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »

What's all this crazy talk. That poster is awesome, I'd love to have it on my wall.

Agreed, I love that poster. It's almost like they're on the verge of trying too hard, but it doesn't go over the edge for me, and remains firmly planted in the realm of Awesome.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it looks like the Joker version of the bat signal. I like it, and makes sense within the context of the movie, sorta.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fact: If you purchase Watchmen merchandise you will be visited by a vengeful sasquatch in the middle of the night.

Except the Ozymandias figure. Since those are actually in the comic.

KalTorak on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Except the Ozymandias figure. Since those are actually in the comic.

Well, all of the main characters were in Ozy's line of figures.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it looks like the Joker version of the bat signal. I like it, and makes sense within the context of the movie, sorta.

I love the image. The tag line seems like something from a Nike commercial though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

I love the image. The tag line seems like something from a Nike commercial though.
    It's a reference to the first teaser/trailer

Fencingsax on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    see, it definitely gives me a "trying too hard" vibe. like, all i get when i look at it is my mind saying "GODFUCK THAT IS CHEESIE!"

this is sad because i want to like the movie and now im worried.

PantheraOnca on
    edited April 2008
    I think there is something wrong with your brain.

Bloods End on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can someone explain to me why The Spirit trailer looks exactly like a Sin City trailer? Is this a joke or something? I've never read the comics so maybe they are similar?

klok on
    edited April 2008
    Frank Miller has a mental disability that causes the whole world to look like that to him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So... Bruce Wayne is just Marv with cash! ASB&R makes sense now!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    klok wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why The Spirit trailer looks exactly like a Sin City trailer? Is this a joke or something? I've never read the comics so maybe they are similar?
    Frank Miller's entire body of work is the joke; the millions of dollars people will continue to throw at him is the punchline.

It is not very funny at all.

Torso Boy on
    edited April 2008
    You have to admit, the man has style.

Just one style, but style nonetheless.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008
    Agreed, and I adore Sin City.

I also love Batman, and have been very soured by DKR & DKSA, not to mention his late work. Year One is great, but his style isn't really completely compatible with the characters IMHO...Bruce Timm, Matt Wagner and Jeph Loeb get Batman so much more, even if their diction and tone aren't as distinct. Again, maybe with the exception of Year One, Frank Miller's books are just like Tim Burton's films- they feature Batman, but aren't really Batman stories.

Torso Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Hell and Back is the best Sin City "yarn".

DouglasDanger on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »

I also love Batman, and have been very soured by DKR & DKSA, not to mention his late work. Year One is great, but his style isn't really completely compatible with the characters IMHO...Bruce Timm, Matt Wagner and Jeph Loeb get Batman so much more, even if their diction and tone aren't as distinct. Again, maybe with the exception of Year One, Frank Miller's books are just like Tim Burton's films- they feature Batman, but aren't really Batman stories.

hush is essentially dkr toned down.

Angry on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

one of these things is not like the other

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Long Halloween is sort of overrated, but it's still pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    the only thing jeph loeb gets about batman is how to make him fight 1100000 villains in one series

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Can you name a better Two-Face story that isn't from the Animated Universe?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    I'm not saying it was a bad story

but the mystery aspect of it was pretty contrived and it's not really a great Batman story

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Angry wrote: »

Wait, what?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008

Wait, what?
    yeah what the fuck

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Wait, what?
    yeah what the fuck

Well you know, the Regan analogs in Hush, the fact that Batman hasn't been around for a while, the gay Joker, catwoman as a old prostitute, and Superman as a tool of the government.

Wait...none of that happened. The only thing similar was Two Face, and the end result of that was completely different. Hell if anything, Hush was just a new version of LH and DV

Bloods End on
    edited April 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

one of these things is not like the other
    You're right about that, I shouldn't put him on the same level as Timm or Wagner. It was more to say, "even Loeb writes better Batman than Miller."

Also, Hush is decent but overrated and in no way shape or form resembles DKR. :\

Torso Boy on
    edited April 2008
    um

how is DKR not a Batman story?

i'm not saying it's good or bad, but it's a pretty much a Batman story

also i like year one way better than any of the LH stories

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    So...
    The Iron Man movie looks really good. I hope it is good. Movie trailers are almost a separate thing from the actual movie they advertise. Spider-man movies have had damn good trailers and the movies have been... passable.

DouglasDanger on
    edited April 2008
    After watching the Iron Man trailers I'm wondering if theres any real reason to go see the movie. I feel like I've already seen everything there was to see.

Bloods End on
This discussion has been closed.