As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ShadowPAX: the after-hours tournaments

slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
The featured games at PAX are all outstanding and are certain to be loads of fun, but I'm also certain that I'm not alone in being disappointed that a favorite game missed the cut.

Thus, might I humbly suggest ShadowPAX? Let's arrange some ad-hoc tournaments for any insomniacs willing to play from midnight to 10 AM. Who knows if space or systems will be available? The worst we can do is organize it and let the chips fall where they may.

The first question at hand would be:
is anyone interested?

If you've got an overlooked favorite, please post here. Preferred rules/maps/mods, please.

For instance, here's what I'm shooting for:
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: 4-on-4, stopwatch mode. Single map elimination, FF on.
Bloodbowl(the board game): 3rd edition rules w/ Deathzone. Only teams in core rules and DZ allowed.

and I can't resist
Nethack: version 3.4.3. No bones files. Choose your own class, play until dead or forced-quit at 8:00 AM. High score wins. Honorable mention for most colorful death.

slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
slacktron on

• Options
    coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    How about CS : Source? and Worms, and ... uhm...

EDIT: OMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGOMGOGM
    www.freeallegiance.org
    Let's all play allegiance there! Will there be joysticks?

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    coolp wrote:
    www.freeallegiance.org
    Let's all play allegiance there! Will there be joysticks?

Unbelievable that I've never heard of this one before, and I've been trying to pick up a copy of Freespace 2 for over a year now. That game looks awesome. It's a pity the learning curve looks steeper than sophomore biochemistry.

The outlook is poor for joysticks as all the PC tournaments are FPSs with the lone RTS exception. Sticks are gonna be rare.

I'm driving up, so I can tote my three USB joysticks. I'll just copy up the drivers on the ol' SanDisk Cruzer Micro, and we're good to go. Getting permission to actually install the drivers might be tricky. I'll have to ask Fall about that one.

But geez, discovering a great new multiplayer game... for free... that's made PAX worth the price of admission right there. Thanks, coolp.

slacktron on
  • Options
    NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    HELL YES I'd like to play Allegiance after hours...you bringing it up has given me a reason to bring my joystick.

I'll burn the latest versions to disk and bring a few copies just in case...seeing as how it's free and all ;)

Ninto on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    omg, can you imagine an allegiance LAN party, with commanders and shit? that would be so fucking badass. I wonder if Lanwerx would be nice enough to bring some joysticks along... I actually haven't played Alleg in like 6 months, but I can't imagine how awesome it would be at a LAN :shock:

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    If this is gonna work we'll need 2 good commanders who know what their doing, i used to be a great commander, but i dunno how id be now. Who else could command?

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    ChunkyButterChunkyButter Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    slacktron wrote:
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: 4-on-4, stopwatch mode. Single map elimination, FF on.
    I vote for this, although I'd say the smallest the teams should be is 5v5 just because some of the maps have fairly large areas to cover and would be too easy for attacking team. Also, make sure to use the mod ETPro, and probably twl-league settings. I've played ET competetively for about a year so I know a bit about it :P

Other games I'd like to see: starcraft, cs: source, ut 2k4, worms, and Tribes.

I think Tribes def needs a tourney since it was a great game in its day and is now released for free. I dont know any mods, settings whatever for any of those games though.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I would suggest Warhammer Fantasy, and Blood Bowl. I don't have a BB team anymore, but I'm sure some other people would have fun with it. For Fantasy we can just use the "Fantasy in a Flash" rules for 500 points.

Edit: Throw me on for some Starcraft, and ET as well. But they are already having a UT2k4 tourney.....

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I would suggest Warhammer Fantasy, and Blood Bowl. I don't have a BB team anymore, but I'm sure some other people would have fun with it.

Warhammer is fun, but the problem with Warhammer Fantasy Battles, as it always was, is the rules. Games Workshop has built an industry out of releasing a new "supplement" every six months that changes the nature of the battlefield so completely that you are at a disadvantage if you don't continue to buy in. Their "Arcane Magic" was my last (and vowed to be my forever last) investment in their rules escalation profit scheme.

Fortunately for Bloodbowl, it went out of print in the 90's and thus put an end to GW's constant rules meddling for a while. Then Jervis woke up one morning and asked himself "how can I screw up a game that has outlived its print run?" Thus, the 4th edition rules were born. Only one skill per turn? Appearance fees? Realizing he had shat out an incomprehensable load of bullocks, he then threw up his hands and let any wild rule interpretation become official. And now, we have the living rulebook, a.k.a "the rule of the month club".. So when putting together a tournament, you can try going with the latest set of rules and hope they don't change radically before the tournament is over.

So my point is that 3rd edition rules endured for almost a decade before being corrupted, which makes them the best choice for a tournament. What rules would govern a Warhammer Fantasy Battles tournament? Has WHFB hit upon a "golden ruleset" yet?

slacktron on
  • Options
    morosemorose Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm bringing my laptop complete with Half-life/CS and StarCraft. Wasn't planning to bring my Blood Bowl team, but heck... maybe I should. 3rd edition... were the Norse around back then? Or Big Guys? If not, will probably have to pass since I never finished my Ork team (the only other team I have any experience with at all).

morose on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Looks like there's two players interested in Bloodbowl. With myself and another friend, that makes four players, which is enough for a tournament. So let's do it. Let's say:
    Saturday, 9:00 PM, Tabletop room.

Not sure how full the room will be. I'll try to make myself easy to find... I'll bring a large cardboard tube.

We'll go with straight 3rd edition rules, and include the teams as described on the Slactkronix Monday Night Bloodbowl http://www.slacktronix.com/bloodbowl/teamlists.asp site. I'll get a database set up for the PAX event and enter all the teams on-site. Hopefully, they have wireless internet in the tabletop room.

If you need a team, let me know. I'm bringing a Dark Elf, Norse, and Halfling team.

With at least four people, we're looking at two rounds of play, so it should go until midnight or so. After midnight, I'm heading directly over to the PC/LAN room to try and drum up some solid ENEMY TERRITORY action.

Should be fun. See you there.

slacktron on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Those of you who know 3.5 D&D will be welcome to play some Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch.

How does this work? Easy. We decide on a level to use (5, 10, and 20 are popular), then generate characters using D&D 3.5 rules. (That includes stuff from Complete Warrior and Complete Divine.) Then, it just becomes a giant melee.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    tristamtristam Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    All those games would totally be kickass and i definatly dont need sleep, but i was wondering if Id need to bring my own lewt or if someone else could help me out? Its been a year since i played BB and my team seems to have "dissapeared".

Nethack ive never heard of, but ill play ANYTHING.

So i guess my point is, will you walk a newb with no experience or equipment through these games? :x :x

tristam on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Allright, so I'm just wondering, are there very many people planning on staying overnight? I'm just wondering cause it sounds like most of the people are doing D&D kinda stuff, which I never really got into, and I'm hoping there are some people who just want to play some UT2k4 deathmatch or Dawn of War or CS Source and stuff like that...

2 days till PAX!!

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I'll be up for some deathmatching. That is, if I haven't been dragged back to the hotel room before then. :winky:

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    I'll be up for some deathmatching. That is, if I haven't been dragged back to the hotel room before then. :winky:

lmao, but do you know if there are very many people spending the whole night? I'm just wondering cause i'm in the area and I'm not sure if I should go home and come back, or stay the whole night. =/

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm sure there will be plenty of people staying.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    GnarTotheNthGnarTotheNth Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Warcraft 3 frozen throne 2v2 TOURNAMENT!
    because 2's wont be in the official competition a friend of mine and i have decided to make our own, 5$ buy in winners take all? who's game?!

GnarTotheNth on
    warcraft 3 is the best game ever!
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Warcraft 3 frozen throne 2v2 TOURNAMENT!
    because 2's wont be in the official competition a friend of mine and i have decided to make our own, 5$ buy in winners take all? who's game?!

Change "WarCraft 3" too "Unreal Tournament 2004" and "2v2" to "1v1" and I'm game ;)

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1