As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ZOMBIE ON] Dead Rising revisited

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bongi wrote:
    I loved this game entirely too much. After I played the unholy shit out of it. (I.E. Unlocked EVERYTHING, including that fucking 14 hour boxer shorts achievement) I was kind of sad, as I wanted to KEEP PLAYING, but I kind of ran out of things to do.

Sequel now plz, Capcom.
    there is an achievement for the boxers? i keep them on all the time, i giggle so hard at the big ugly dude killing zombies with a chainsaw in his underwear
    No, if you get the 7-day achievemnt (which takes 14 hours) you get the red hearts boxers as a reward. Like the 5-day achievement and hte light saber.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My second favorite game of this year.

As for soundtracks, as I keep telling everyone:

Send More Paramedics is pretty much the best thing you could ask for.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm currently working my way through the 53,000 achievement. I'm assuming that once I get the achievement that I DON'T need to finish the game to get the 'surprise' correct?

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    devolve wrote:
    I'm currently working my way through the 53,000 achievement. I'm assuming that once I get the achievement that I DON'T need to finish the game to get the 'surprise' correct?

[spoiler:d54b50baa3]It's my understanding that YOU DO but the game ends after 72 hours no matter what, so basically just survive.[/spoiler:d54b50baa3]

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bowling ball is the greatest video game weapon EVER.

EVARRRRR!!

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

EVARRRRR!!

I have yet to nab this achievement for some odd reason. I thought it was similiar to the parasol achievement, where you only had to knock down ten total in one play session, but alas, the shit isn't working. do you actually have to knock down ten with one throw?

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    devolve wrote:

EVARRRRR!!

I have yet to nab this achievement for some odd reason. I thought it was similiar to the parasol achievement, where you only had to knock down ten total in one play session, but alas, the shit isn't working. do you actually have to knock down ten with one throw?

10 in one attack, so just go to the tunnels and bowl down a load of em in one bowl. Think of it like getting a strike.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    devolve wrote:

You have to finish the game. Just go stand out on the helipad and let the game clock run down. I finished with about 12 hours left in game.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    solsovly wrote:
    Lukin wrote:
    Well... it does force you to restart the game from the beginning, albeit at a higher level. You can't continue the story where you last died though. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

You are completely incorrect. It in no way forces you to restart from the beginning of the game. When you die, you have the choice to "save and quit" which saves your stats and from when you died and starts you at the beginning, and "resume from save" which predictably allows you to resume your game from your last save (wherever that may be in the story).

I don't get why people are confused with the save system. Reload at your last save is pretty standard for most games. Once you start getting really powered up, Frank turns into a god damn powerhouse. Do not underestimate the power of the books in the game. I did until the 3rd or so restart, then I breezed through the rest.
    Dammit, I know how the save system works. I was referring to a specific scenario:[spoiler:97a071472e]You obtain a different ending for failing to collect all of Carlito's bombs on act 7-2. A cutscene of the mall exploding plays, and you cannot restart from your last save. However, you can restart the game at your current level with your skills intact.[/spoiler:97a071472e]

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

EVARRRRR!!

I love the fact that you can clock the zombies in the head with it. Satisfying.

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    ecczi.ecczi. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Tommy wrote:
    Is any part of this game scary?
    Well, when biting you, the female zombies seem to always go straight for the crotch.
    That's kind of scary.

Oh, and when you stop to think about the "erotica photo" system, you can develop a fear of Japanese people.
    Other than that, there's really nothing scary in it. It's a very silly game.

ecczi. on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    solsovly wrote:
    Lukin wrote:
    Well... it does force you to restart the game from the beginning, albeit at a higher level. You can't continue the story where you last died though. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

You are completely incorrect. It in no way forces you to restart from the beginning of the game. When you die, you have the choice to "save and quit" which saves your stats and from when you died and starts you at the beginning, and "resume from save" which predictably allows you to resume your game from your last save (wherever that may be in the story).

I don't get why people are confused with the save system. Reload at your last save is pretty standard for most games. Once you start getting really powered up, Frank turns into a god damn powerhouse. Do not underestimate the power of the books in the game. I did until the 3rd or so restart, then I breezed through the rest.
    Dammit, I know how the save system works. I was referring to a specific scenario:[spoiler:c934dcab78]You obtain a different ending for failing to collect all of Carlito's bombs on act 7-2. A cutscene of the mall exploding plays, and you cannot restart from your last save. However, you can restart the game at your current level with your skills intact.[/spoiler:c934dcab78]

Or you could reset the console and resume from your last save. The game doesn't delete your saves. You can go "Oh damn, I fucked up" and hit reset, just like any other game with a save system. You're right that the game doesn't tell you "GAME OVER". You're able to play on. But you can restart.

The alternative to that is to play till the clock runs out so you can level up, and restart as a house. Which frankly, you have to do. I don't think it's possible to beat the game without restarting a couple times.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ecczi. wrote:
    The Tommy wrote:
    Is any part of this game scary?
    Well, when biting you, the female zombies seem to always go straight for the crotch.
    That's kind of scary.

Oh, and when you stop to think about the "erotica photo" system, you can develop a fear of Japanese people.
    Other than that, there's really nothing scary in it. It's a very silly game.

I dunno. The very start of the game in the entrance plaza place, when they first break in and suddenly BAM! you are faced with like a thousand zombies I felt a little, well a huge amount, intimidated.

'Ok, fuck!'

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I just got to the first night, and there were some fuckers in a jeep. They fucked me up. Fuck them.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lukin wrote:
    The alternative to that is to play till the clock runs out so you can level up, and restart as a house. Which frankly, you have to do. I don't think it's possible to beat the game without restarting a couple times.

Thats not true.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Houk wrote:
    So I just got to the first night, and there were some fuckers in a jeep. They fucked me up. Fuck them.

I sniped the driver and started driving around the gunner who blew up the jeep he was in aiming at me.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lukin wrote:

I beat it on my first playthrough; though that required playing through a few areas multiple times, a LOT of running away from the convicts and a lot of getting my ass handed to me by bosses. But it's totally doable.

I think I wound up at level 36 from playing through 72 hour mode and then overtime mode. Only rescued about 20 or so people on that playthrough though. (Enough to get that achievement)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The convicts aren't that hard..... get a tree between you and them, and light their asses up. If at all possible, kill their gunner and steal the gun from them, and then proceed to ruin their shit with it.

I really should get to beating this... I was at the end of the second day or so when I accidentally saved and quit.... and I can't play it now because my 360 died on me :(

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was having some good luck avoiding them just now, but i was trying to make my way back with a couple japanese tourists, and they were RIGHT outside the doors to the food court. Ran my ass over before I knew what was going on. Think it's time for a break...

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    the VERY FIRST thing you should do is ignore the survivors, plot, missions and everything, and head for the parking lot. try to pick up the zombie kill bonus book on the way(The parking lot is accessible only from the courtyard. it's on the west side. just hug the wall and head for the large empty space there.)

once there, jump in the red car, drive down the nearby ramp into the underlevels, and turn left. head down that path until you reach an area LOADED with zombies. do some donuts until reddy breaks, then get in the van that has it's lights on. once in the van, retrace your steps and head out to the lot, run over zombies until the van breaks(the van's a lot tougher than the red car) once it does, get back in the respawned red car and head to where you got the van. repeat until you unlock the Zombie Genocider achievement. then get an ending. I prefer going to the helipad and waiting until the timer runs out.

at the new game, head to the left once you enter the largest room in the safe area, behind the heaters and ducts, and get equipped.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    IMO, the game should be beaten the first time without hte Megabuster, so you get an apprieciation for it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    IMO, the game should be beaten the first time without hte Megabuster, so you get an apprieciation for it.
    Yes. I agree with this.

JJ on
  • Options
    Filipino Box Spring HogFilipino Box Spring Hog Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This game was awesome (even on a standard TV). Disemboweling zombies is so extremely satisfying.

I love the growth from prodding frank to super frank by the end.

Filipino Box Spring Hog on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Balefuego wrote:
    Lukin wrote:

Thats not true.

Well, okay. I suck at videogames, so it's certainly not possible for me. I need all those life up bonuses.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Beat the game in my first playthrough. I died twice because I got captured by the Cult and knocked off the tank by army man.

Great game and one of the reasons I own my 360. The moment I saw a Zombie on a construction drill in one of the trailer videos, I had to have this game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just rented this and it is quite fun. I am completly ignoring everything right now and just killing Zombies. Screw that story. :P

I'm only level 2 now and I'm a little worried. What the hell should I do? It's night of the first night and once the lights went off in the mall I freaked out.

Also,

[spoiler:a41909fe9a]The Queen Bee jar attack thing is SO handy.[/spoiler:a41909fe9a]

Should I worry about any missions? Do I have to? Can I just have mindless fun? This game is great, but, I have two complaints.

[spoiler:a41909fe9a]Screw those guys in the jeep and the damn other photographer, so damn annoying. The other photographer's flying kick is cool though, got me 4000 and some PP when he did that.[/spoiler:a41909fe9a]

And damn my SDTV! Curse you tiny text!

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If your TV has S-video or component in it should make the text clear, even in standard definition.

bruin on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bruin wrote:
    If your TV has S-video or component in it should make the text clear, even in standard definition.

I do, but, the damn text is readable(kinda), but still tiny. Like, the missions on the side are very blurry but some of the other things I can read.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just rented this and it is quite fun. I am completly ignoring everything right now and just killing Zombies. Screw that story. :P

I'm only level 2 now and I'm a little worried. What the hell should I do? It's night of the first night and once the lights went off in the mall I freaked out.

Also,

[spoiler:b6e4fc7f20]The Queen Bee jar attack thing is SO handy.[/spoiler:b6e4fc7f20]

Should I worry about any missions? Do I have to? Can I just have mindless fun? This game is great, but, I have two complaints.

[spoiler:b6e4fc7f20]Screw those guys in the jeep and the damn other photographer, so damn annoying. The other photographer's flying kick is cool though, got me 4000 and some PP when he did that.[/spoiler:b6e4fc7f20]

Basically it's recommended that you fuck around and do whatever you want your first time through the game. You can do missions and rescue people, but ultimately you don't need to really try to do anything. Everytime you save your game, it saves your stats (level, abilities, etc.) which carry over into future games. So when you beat it hte first time, you can play through it again and do the missions, and it won't be as difficult since you'll be more beefed up then.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, if you get the convicts stuck behind a tree you can take out the gunner with a pistol, then kill the other two with the machine gun on the jeep. It takes about thirty seconds to kill them when you do that.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn I want to get this but I didnt know about the text being unreadable on normal TVs. I have a pretty old RCA CRT that has an S-video port but it doesnt work so I'm stuck with composite for now.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm also one of the people that bought a 360 for this.

Tips for beginners:
    Submachine gun:
    [spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]As you exit the warehouse, go to the staircase on the right. From the staircase, jump to the blue awning to the right of the staircase (that is, heading back in the direction of the warehouse). Frank should pull himself up onto the ledge. Run to the end of the blue ledge and pick up a submachine gun.[/spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]
    Katana:
    [spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]You can get as many katanas and swords as you want from the knife shop (northwest section under construction) and the antique shop (entrance plaza), but there's also one on the orange awning outside Columbian Roastmasters[/spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]
    Shortcut near warehouse to Wonderland Plaza, good for avoiding the convicts:
    [spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]Kill Adam, the clown, save the guard on the ride, follow him to the bathroom. He shows you a secret passage.[/spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]
    Game-breaking chainsaws:
    [spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]
    Kill Adam, pick up a mini-chainsaw. Stop the ride to help the guard, chainsaw respawns, pick it up again. They also respawn every time you enter wonderland plaza. You can also extend their life 27 times with three books: murderer biography (blades), construction, and entertainment. It makes the game too easy, though.[/spoiler:d7a4a8cefb]

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, if you get the convicts stuck behind a tree you can take out the gunner with a pistol, then kill the other two with the machine gun on the jeep. It takes about thirty seconds to kill them when you do that.
    EDIT: Crap. templewolf covered it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    RydarkRydark Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    Oh, man. Case 7? Kicking my ass. Any tips?

[spoiler:328077703a]Bomb Collector
    I found the truck in the north part of the maintenance tunnels, but I can't seem to survive once it breaks down. I can get four of the five bombs, but I run out of OJ / bullets before getting to the fifth. What did you guys bring down with you to thwart Carlito?[/spoiler:328077703a]

[spoiler:328077703a]I brought shotguns and the mini-chainsaws from the crazy clown with me. When Carlito showed up, I shotgunned him after getting off the truck, and then slashed him with the chainsaws while he got stuck on a wall.

After that, I got into the mall and back to the parking lot to get a new truck to drive.[/spoiler:328077703a]

Rydark on
    Rydark.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rydark wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Oh, man. Case 7? Kicking my ass. Any tips?

[spoiler:c9dc89e445]Bomb Collector
    I found the truck in the north part of the maintenance tunnels, but I can't seem to survive once it breaks down. I can get four of the five bombs, but I run out of OJ / bullets before getting to the fifth. What did you guys bring down with you to thwart Carlito?[/spoiler:c9dc89e445]

[spoiler:c9dc89e445]I brought shotguns and the mini-chainsaws from the crazy clown with me. When Carlito showed up, I shotgunned him after getting off the truck, and then slashed him with the chainsaws while he got stuck on a wall.

After that, I got into the mall and back to the parking lot to get a new truck to drive.[/spoiler:c9dc89e445]

[spoiler:c9dc89e445]Actually there's another car down in the tunnels you can use. Use the truck by the butcher shop for the first part, then switch over to the other car before it breaks down. (It's near one of the other bombs, don't remember exactly where, but it's there.)[/spoiler:c9dc89e445]

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so, yeah, just top make sure it gets said on every page:

THIS GAME WILL WORK JUST FINE ON AN SDTV, DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I hadn't even noticed if the text was too small, it's only through people whinging that i've given it any attention. Honestly, if it's too hard to read, go see an optician?

edit: and the save system is not what you get in other games, but as long as you go in knowing what it is and what it does, you will be fine. You get one save-slot per account. That's all. No more, no less. It won't delete your save when you die, it won't format your hard-drive, it won't swear at you if you have a sound card.
    Just one save slot.

Don't let trivial complaints put you off an frankly (lol pun) superb game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    darleysam wrote:

I hadn't even noticed if the text was too small, it's only through people whinging that i've given it any attention. Honestly, if it's too hard to read, go see an optician?

Different SDTV's are affected differently, smartass. :P

I could read the text on mine, but it was incredibly straining to do so.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    darleysam wrote:

Different SDTV's are affected differently, smartass. :P

I could read the text on mine, but it was incredibly straining to do so.
    but people are acting like "OMG ITS UNPLAYABLE ON AN SDTV!" which is, frankly, misinformed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    trouble in the tunnels
    I'll give all these suggestions a shot tonight. Thanks!
    Case 7:
    [spoiler:9837fa59bf]
    The easiest way to defeat any boss is a high-damage melee weapon. If you want to break the game, use the mini-chainsaws; if you want to play more or less as intended, use katana. Note I used katana plurally, because they break if you sneeze too hard.

I just drove around collecting bombs until Carlito found me. I hopped out of the car and slashed him up at the driver side window of his van. Then, I finished collecting the bombs with the last one in the NorthWest cul-de-sac so that I could drive the non-broken van back to the entrance.[/spoiler:9837fa59bf]

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah before I took down the first "boss" across the mall... you know.. western theme and all..
    I was level 26. I'd started over three times. Otherwise I enjoyed using the lawn mower and soccer ball every chance I could.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.