As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Experimental new feature - inline youTube

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
If you want to see it in action, here is a thread full of videos where you can see it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=54678

HOW DO I WORK IT?
--- You just post links to youtube videos like you normally would. The system takes care of the rest.

WHY IS IT EXPERIMENTAL?
--- the magic that makes it work means that every single post gets regex matched searching for video links that can be replaced with inline video (whether they have video links or not). This means additional load on the servers. I don't know how much additional load we are talking about, without trying it. This is why I sat on this for several months even though it was a simple install. Because for the first 3 months of this year we had performance issues I didn't want to exacerbate.

I DON'T WANT INLINE VIDEO, CAN I OPT-OUT?
--- not yet, but if enough people ask for it, it is something which should be pretty doable. So if you want to be able to opt-out, please let me know here in this thread.

Ramius on

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Woot!

Thank you kindly!

Shurakai on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I like it, but I'm worried about work surfing. I wouldn't mind the op-out option.

Satan. on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    I like it, but I'm worried about work surfing. I wouldn't mind the op-out option.

the videos don't autoplay

Knob on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    It only works with urls that go ht tp://youtub e.com/watch?v=somethingsomething.

It's only youtube, you see.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If this doesn't end up working out exactly the way we have it now, I have some ideas as to what could be improved.

It might take some modding of PHPbb, similar to the spoiler tags.

I'm thinking of a [video] tag that would alert the server to the presence of an inline video that would also work like a spoiler tag.

eg. It would look similar to what we already have, except the bar at the top of the inline video with the address on it, instead of taking you directly to the video, would expand the video so it can load. Most flash video sites including youtube already have a direct link to the video directly on the video itself, so the viewer would still have access to the original link if they want.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Knob wrote: »

the videos don't autoplay

No, but they still load.

Satan. on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm mildly worried about this idea because I can see videos becoming a new sort of image macro

but time will tell

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Weird, teefs, I can't see anything.
    unbenanntmp0.jpg

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, there actually is something in your post.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but if you do
    it gives you a flash box, and you can right click and tell its flash, but it won't load

just like that!

huh, I didn't even realize it tried to enable bbcode tags. I don't want them, and will be removing them. Just post the URL and let the rest of it autogenerate.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmmm, I don't know, but maybe it should show the name of the video on top of the box instead of the URL. If you want to have the URL you can still click on the video and that way you also know if it's safe to watch it.

If this even works, of course.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you do
    it gives you a flash box, and you can right click and tell its flash, but it won't load

just like that!

huh, I didn't even realize it tried to enable bbcode tags. I don't want them, and will be removing them. Just post the URL and let the rest of it autogenerate.

Fixed!

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PotU wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't know, but maybe it should show the name of the video on top of the box instead of the URL. If you want to have the URL you can still click on the video and that way you also know if it's safe to watch it.

You can type whatever you want in the text, that's just the default.

EDIT: Ramius, do you have some kind of ninja Rickroll blocker? Every one I link tells me the video isn't available, but the actual URL works fine elsewhere.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PotU wrote: »

It will show the Name, if you create a URL with a name. Like this: Vampire Weekend

Ramius on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    sometimes, even after clicking the video, the arrow stays around and overlays the video while it plays.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Neat-o!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd sort of rather it be opt-in than opt-out. For the most part embeds clutter the page, and this could retroactively mess up a lot of OPs in G&T.

Not that I'm bitching, because this is brilliant.

(Also, did you know it embeds automatically with the site GameTrailers.com, too?)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really don't see the point of this.

Once I start watching an embedded video I can't scroll around the threador go to different pages of the thread and still watch the video, thus making a standard link superior because I can just open it in another tab.

And, the standard link wins again because it doesn't add unnecessary page load time.

I mean, if some people enjoy and get some use out of the feature, more power to them, but, I'd love the ability to opt out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've tried like five Rickrolls now and they're all failing. Damnit Ramius!

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    RE: GameTrailers; this post, for example.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    EDIT: Ramius, do you have some kind of ninja Rickroll blocker? Every one I link tells me the video isn't available, but the actual URL works fine elsewhere.

Nope. No rickroll blocker here. I'd like to if it was feasible, though. Is there a master list of rickroll URLs? I could stringreplace them all to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KiTM6PaXHHg

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    When trying to play that video there, Ramius, I was just reminded of another thing: Flash + Mac (especially Safari) = D:

My whole browser is lagging now. I really wish Adobe would clean up Flash on OS X already.

EDIT: The browser lag may have been the desktop thread in Moe's subforum being open, now it's fine.

Also

Eat it fuckers

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    awesome

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Actually, would it be possible to make it an option in a thread? Embeds allowed/disallowed? I could see that being really useful for mods as well as posters.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Actually, would it be possible to make it an option in a thread? Embeds allowed/disallowed? I could see that being really useful for mods as well as posters.

I was just thinking that, too. Sometimes I want to link to a YouTube video but I wouldn't want it embedded because I'd be telling a story or whatever. Maybe wasn't such a bad idea? I don't know how you would break it for other FLV content, though.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy fuck, Well done.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    test follow-up post.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »

Didn't seem to load until I opened the spoiler.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    hrm. video in a spoiler screws over the title. Also, it majorly screws over preview, if you preview your post. blech.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    NICE!

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Whoa, replying to your post made the page all funky.

Screenshot

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The thread is just showing up in that window now. Whatever you did, it breaks Safari :P

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    firefox too. I'm investigating a fix.

Ramius on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    this is pretty much all my fault

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    this is pretty much all my fault

*sigh* Alright, I'll get the garden hose. Get behind the shed, I'll be there in a second.

Satan. on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    tellin' ya ramius, the script I had is way better

only loads once you reveal the video

no extra load on the server, all done client-side

'course, I don't know how compatible it would be with other browsers, or pretty much jack shit about what I'm talking about, but I find if I babble in technospeak it makes me look smarter than I am

regex

post-cache

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png