As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Watching TV on teh Nets

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
I know this really isn't going to be a big OP or anything, bu I have always liked the idea of watching TV on the internet. I mostly watch big name channels like CNN and Discovery, Travel and such and am first wondering what kind of support someone like me has when it comes to this. I have been watching CNN.com Live but I notice it is just a bunch of programs from a huge list, not an actual channel kinda deal, if that makes any sense. So what can you guys offer me?

I really would rather not watching little snippets of TV on Youtube or 'demo' videos on the home websites of channel 2 weeks after they have been aired.

Sorry if this is a really weak OP, I need to get going soon but have been wanting a good decent stream to watch and I will be moving to a new home soon, and would rather not have to spend big bucks on a TV. If I can use my computer for the majority of my TV watching, then I can spend less on a smaller less Hi-def TV. :3

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There are a good number of shows available legally (i think - a few ads anyway) from hulu.com. Pretty decent quality for streams, too.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shows or live streams? :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can go to www.nbc.com and hover over "Shows" at the top. The ones with the arrows you can watch full episodes. They have these very short 10-12 second commercials about 3 or 4 times and episode but it's not terrible.

It's a good start.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The best I've seen is www.abc.com

Their 720p streams look beautiful if you have a fast enough computer and a fast internet connection, the only annoyance is having to click continue after the commercial break.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hulu's pretty neat. The quality is about as good as anything you'll find in free tv, which is to say, totally watchable but not outstanding. I've been keeping up with Battlestar Galactica on there but I look forward to buying it on dvd later on so I can see 'em in non-blurry mode. It's perfectly fine for watching stuff like Arrested Development and The Office though.

Oh, yeah, forgot about ABC's shows. They are pretty good lookin' if you've got the connection for it. Too bad Lost is the only thing there I can stomach. :P

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, something tells me the typical PA forumer isn't into Ugly Betty as much as I am.

Transparent on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Back to the OP, if you want to do most of your TV watching on your computer, why don't you just watch TV on your computer? Tuners are cheap enough these days. The only TV I have at home is Media Center on the computer I have in the livingroom.

Transparent on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow. Thank you for the link to hulu.com. Seriously, now I can catch up on House without buying the DVD boxset. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, hulu sounds awesome. However as a disclaimer, I think it should be mentioned that it's only available if you're in the US.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Back to the OP, if you want to do most of your TV watching on your computer, why don't you just watch TV on your computer? Tuners are cheap enough these days. The only TV I have at home is Media Center on the computer I have in the livingroom.

Go on....

Btw, bonus points if you guys can help me track down HBO.

Lucky Cynic on