As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't know NSFW

wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Artist's Corner
srsly

Illustration for a play Miss Julie
closeyoureyes.jpg
missjulie5.jpg

Life gestures
lifegestures.jpg
about 30 minute poses or so
lifedrarings.jpg

trustinmytomorrow.jpg

and for shits
intothegalaxy1.jpg
intothegalaxy2.jpg

wakkawa on

• multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uh-oh! Second image - you used gradients! You lose at internet art!

Joking. I like that piece the best.

multimoog on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    look, it's wakka painting pretty pictures of ladies

take pictures while you can

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Awesome as always, wakkawa. Your faces are just captivating. Makes me want to pull out the oils.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the first one is fantastic
    are the last two a redo of an older drawing?

beavotron on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    multimoog -That second image is actually a redo of the first one, cus my teacher didn't like it.

kaz- happens. The drawing girls part.

saltiness - After this semester, I don't want to see oils again, ha.

beavo - thanks! Yeah, the last ones are a redo. I don't know when I did the old one, but I get bored and just paint over some of my old pictures.

wakkawa on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those are amazing drawings for only 30 minutes.

NightDragon on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like the top one :)

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2008
    NG - eh I wouldn't say that. I used a negative techique so its more erasing than anything. Plus, they are quite big (18x24) so they look a lot better that small. They are suppose to be hour long poses but I get bored and end up dicking around most of the time. olololol

wakkawa on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wakkawa, you're like a Art Nouveau Nouveau artist or something. I really really really like the girl with the red and blonde hair.

I'm again in too much awe to give you any useful information.

Tam on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Great!

NeoRedXIII on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I used a negative techique so its more erasing than anything.

oooooh alright then. That does seem more reasonable now, heh!

NightDragon on
    edited April 2008
    the improvement is awesome
    you know i've always loved your work wak, it's always fantastic, but i'm really liking the direction you've been taking lately.

beavotron on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really like the second one, but I'm a sucker for flat colors. Still, it's a nice change from all the, y'know, meticulous, perfectly rendered shading.

...frikkin' kids and their talent.

DE?AD on
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    your shit is shit hot. good work, wakka.

needOptic on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh my word. That first one is fucking glorious!

Lly on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    blah blah, amazing, blah.

Your solid yet blending brush strokes infuriate me. How the heck do you do that?

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    30 minute poses - are you using vine charcoal? How do you render the faces so nicely with it?

Virum on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The 30 minutes look to be graphite, probably a soft wooden pencil rubbed on its side and then smeared with a cloth or fingers to smooth out the value. You pull out the highlights with a kneaded eraser or a solid rubbery one for tighter areas, and use a mechanical pencil or another more precise tool for adding darks back in and defining form. It sort of reminds me of painting with graphite. Works pretty well for making it look like you slaved over a drawing for hours and hours to build up all that value, and the range of values is generally better than building up from white.

Scosglen on
    edited April 2008
    another way to do it is just to take powdered graphite, sprinkle some on your white paper, and then smudge it all up with a piece of paper towel or toilet paper. it adds a really nice texture.

beavotron on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just jerked off to the first one, your choice of colours makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Mustang on
    edited April 2008
    beavo -I have no idea what kind of style or direction Im going for right now ololol. I have a pretty cool history of illustration class right now and its confusing the hell out of me. I dont know if I want to do some mucha-ish or pyle-ish or gibson inks or who knows. Then we get to some of the war art during ww1 with harvey dunn and that shit is pretty awesome too.

And then I can't do any of them because the assignments we get for our illustration classes are about the most boring shit ever. Right now our assignment is to make an editorial illustration for a newspaper article on phosphate.

Virum - I have really hard time rendering the faces cus I can't see them. I need glasses bad. I don't use vine, but I used some kind of block compressed charcoal. Its pretty much what scos just said.

Srsizzy - Just the normal paintbrush. I just keep blending the shadows in and everyonce in awhile grab a new color with the color picker. I can't explain it but I know lexxy does it better than I do.

N O - you're happy, so I'm happy, ololol

DEAD - I wish it were perfectly rendered, heh. I did that second one in less than a hour.

Lly - thanks!

Mustang - awkward silence

another paintover of an old pic
    makeyouunderstand2.jpgmakeyouunderstand1.jpg

And this is what Im going to start using all my gestures for. I hate the idea of using a photo for a reference, cus It just feels like cheating. And since I don't really have the cash to go out and hire my own models, this is the best i'll be able to do.

figurepose.jpgfigurepose2.jpg

wakkawa on
    edited April 2008
    as much as the assignments are boring, you know you have the skill set to make them into something phenomenal.
    see the first thing i thought of when you said "newspaper editorial illustration on phosphate" is like a 50's style pin-up ad for phosphate, raving about all of it's awesome qualities. with like a house wife lecturing her kids, tom and jane on all the wonderful ways phosphate has made our lives better. old advertisments are so great.

beavotron on
    edited April 2008
    God that idea would be awesome. Though I don't think my teacher would like that as shes one of those hardcore conceptual illustrators. Like, I have to show how phoshate mines damage the the enviroment using metaphor and satire.

One of the critiques she gave me once for a picture was I made my girls too pretty, and that an art director would never go for it.

wakkawa on
    edited April 2008
    Unattractive people are more fun to draw/paint anyway. Hideous one are even better.

Mustang on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the critiques she gave me once for a picture was I made my girls too pretty, and that an art director would never go for it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's dumb, your teacher is dumb.

Awesome stuff as always ;)

I like the redone drawings, it's cool to see people's progress like that. How long has it been between drawings?

DeeLock on
    edited April 2008
    God that idea would be awesome. Though I don't think my teacher would like that as shes one of those hardcore conceptual illustrators. Like, I have to show how phoshate mines damage the the enviroment using metaphor and satire.

she's probably just jaded because the boys at school never thought she was pretty
    as is the case with like 98% of all feminists
    (the other 2% are just straight up psychos)

beavotron on
  • devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

paint a picture of her and tell her you're following her advice

edit:

seriously though your stuff is pretty amazing, i'd love to get prints of some of it, especially the first painting in the OP

devices on
    edited April 2008
    yeah good point, wak do you do print work?
    you'd probably make a mint off selling prints on deviantart.

beavotron on
  • Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Your art is hella awesome. The women are really beautiful. Do you use a wacom tablet for most of your work?

Red_Arremer on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes he most certainly does. As do most people who work digitally. And by most, I mean everyone who is not trying to make an artistic statement about using a mouse. So I mean everyone who does digital work.

Sublimus on
    edited April 2008
    Haha yeah I use a wacom graphire 4x5. Too poor to buy the others.

Also I would love to sell some prints, but I just don't know how well they would sell. I always get people that are all "I would totally buy that! But not not really!"

wakkawa on
    edited April 2008

Also I would love to sell some prints, but I just don't know how well they would sell. I always get people that are all "I would totally buy that! But not not really!"

A Graphire?! When/If I get a Intuos 6x8, I'm sending you my Intuos 4x5.

Tam on
    edited April 2008

That's good to hear than you can kick this much ass with it.
    I'm stuck on the graphire 4x5 poverty train too.

Mustang on
    edited May 2008
    and my brother just fixed my graphire 2. That thing will just not die.

wegoinrock.jpgtakecontrol.jpg

bigshot.jpgfallinfaster.jpg

suddenimpact.jpg

I bought some watercolor board and I plan on doin a lot of water colors in the next couple weeks or so.

wakkawa on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the style variety in this latest batch; thoroughly enjoyable! Yes I am worthless. =D

Shiboe on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

How much do they cost, and what's the ideal size to get if you had a little bit more money?

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    Wakkawa, Academic Superstore has a refurbished Intuos3 6x8 for $200 and a refurbished Intuos3 4x6 $130.

Tam on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know I think the problem is Sarasota isn't ready for this level of sexiness. Awesome work as usually I love this latest batch though still has the same excellence but the different mediums and style kick some ass.

Veritas on
    edited May 2008
    Man I don't give a fuck what your teacher thinks wakka, you drawings are so frickin sexy you could bottle it.

Mustang on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit. I love you man.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif