As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ping Utility Program

smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
So I manage a lot of IP ranges for my company (we have over 150 different collocations we use through out the world) and often times when we do a router upgrade or install at a new site I need to quickly ping our individual machines (and other equipment) to verify that all the machines are installed properly(If I can ping them I can usually connect to them remotely).

Now normally I would just fire up my cmd prompt and type in the ip address one at a time, however I'm sure you can see how this gets very tiresome once we get into the 10-20 address range. So what I'm looking for is either
1. a way to, using just ping commands, ping a range of addresses in a "batch" (i.e. 192.168.16.1 - 100)
or
2. a program that will just send out the ping to that range for me.

I tried nmap but its a bit overkill for what I need since I don't care what ports on open on the machines or what OS they are running I really just need to know "Is the equipment responding y/n?"

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

smokmnky on

• Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    not sure if I am reading this right, but

open up a text editor.

write the following:

ping 192.168.x.xxx
    ping 192.168.x.yyy
    ping 192.168.x.zzz
    etcetera

save as "ping.bat" or something.

then run ping.bat from cmd prompt.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So I manage a lot of IP ranges for my company (we have over 150 different collocations we use through out the world) and often times when we do a router upgrade or install at a new site I need to quickly ping our individual machines (and other equipment) to verify that all the machines are installed properly(If I can ping them I can usually connect to them remotely).

Now normally I would just fire up my cmd prompt and type in the ip address one at a time, however I'm sure you can see how this gets very tiresome once we get into the 10-20 address range. So what I'm looking for is either
    1. a way to, using just ping commands, ping a range of addresses in a "batch" (i.e. 192.168.16.1 - 100)
    or
    2. a program that will just send out the ping to that range for me.

I tried nmap but its a bit overkill for what I need since I don't care what ports on open on the machines or what OS they are running I really just need to know "Is the equipment responding y/n?"

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Since you already have nmap, just us the -sP for ping only, you'll get an output like:
    [usr-1@srv-1 ~]$ nmap -sP 10.50.100.1-255
    Starting nmap 3.70 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-06-13 15:50 PDT
    Host 10.50.100.1 appears to be up.
    Host 10.50.100.2 appears to be up.
    Host 10.50.100.22 appears to be up.
    Host mondo (10.50.100.72) appears to be up.
    Host 10.50.100.82 appears to be up.
    Nmap run completed -- 255 IP addresses (5 hosts up) scanned in 3.228 seconds

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I tried that with nmap the problem is that our routers do some different filtering (not really sure since I don't deal with them) and it causes that command to just display every address as "up". For example I ran it on a range that went from 1 - 50 but only the addresses 5 - 16 have any equipment on them and I got the result back that every single address was, up all 50 of them.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Caelum MilitisCaelum Militis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like fping is what you need, for either Linux or Windows. (I can only attest to the usefulness of the Linux version).

Sample Output:

fping -g 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.5
    192.168.0.1 is alive
    192.168.0.2 is alive
    192.168.0.3 is unreachable
    192.168.0.4 is alive
    192.168.0.5 is unreachable

Caelum Militis on
    ~Unyielding resolve has no conquerer~
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fping will do what you need.

So will a .bat file.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Might I suggest a Pingdom account? They have the option to scream bloody murder via email and SMS if a server stops responding.

Echo on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Angry IP scanner will tell you if a host in a specified range is up or not.

I setup a monitoring server with nagios when I first started working ISP helpdesk. They still use it to this day, and it'll handle SMS and e-mail alerts with a little bit of fiddling which I assume you're more than capable of.

devoir on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    FREEping at tools4ever.com can run on one workstation, autopinging, then generate windows popup messages on another workstation(s) if something stops responding.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    DjCalvinDjCalvin MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I second freeping. I use it at work when i am patching a couple hundred machines and want to know when they come back up (or don't) from their reboots.

DjCalvin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like fping is what you need, for either Linux or Windows. (I can only attest to the usefulness of the Linux version).

Sample Output:

fping -g 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.5
    192.168.0.1 is alive
    192.168.0.2 is alive
    192.168.0.3 is unreachable
    192.168.0.4 is alive
    192.168.0.5 is unreachable

Worked great thanks so much this was exactly what I was looking for.
    fping will do what you need.

So will a .bat file.

See the thing is I don't want to have to copy a bunch of IPs in to a file and then make it a .bat. I needed something that would allow me to just ping a range very quickly. Also thanks to everyone else and the suggestions but I just don't need a monitoring client (that's why we have a 24/7 NOC) I just needed to quickly tell if a range was up when we install new machines.

Thanks again

smokmnky on