As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Decided to rearrange everything and crop, so hopefully the composition will be better. It's still real messy but I wanted to make sure everything was organized before I go further

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I may have fabricated several of the muscle groups
    Jim.jpg

Prohass on
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Who ever knows the reference first gets a cookie
    monsquwj5.th.jpg

edit: sorry about the shitty image quality, it's from my cell phone. I'll be uploading a scan of it tomorrow.

Wolfman's got NARDS!

it's from the cover art to the monster squad anniversary DVD

*gives cookie

Anyways...I tried out pixelmator for the first time to color my spidey pic...How do you guys think it turned out? Any advice? I'm considering a wacom tablet in the future but I dont know if I'd get used to drawing not where I'm looking, you know? I would like a tablet pc but they're so expensive.

spiddyc1or5.th.jpg

Also, does anyone know how to make it so when you overlap a brush stroke it doesn't make the overlap darker? I had to hold down the mouse button while coloring each section or be super careful about not overlapping strokes, which was a pain when pixelmator would crash and I would lose a big section of coloring.

TheMorningStar on
  • Mr DaveMr Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Decided to rearrange everything and crop, so hopefully the composition will be better. It's still real messy but I wanted to make sure everything was organized before I go further

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Great work so far. I just don't like that lady though. In the earlier concept, she looked less pissy. I would prefer her none pissy. Haha.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Jim.jpg

His left arm (his right when we look at it) looks a little, I don't know, close to his body?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos, that composition is waaaaay better. SO MUCH BETTER <3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
    edited April 2008
    haha thanks. real relieved to hear that!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just a little doooodddlleee. Rp character needed some duds for a party. 8-)

CCF26042008_00000-1.jpg

Kochikens on
    edited April 2008
    may wanna shorten the torso a bit and squeaze the shoulders tighter. He's got much of an unnatural v-shape goin on there

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SNIP

Making up muscles will only make this image look cool to people who dont know what the fuck they are talking about, and make it look worse to anyone who knows better.

If you want to draw muscles in this details, learn them.

Sublimus on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    SNIP

Making up muscles will only make this image look cool to people who dont know what the fuck they are talking about, and make it look worse to anyone who knows better.

I totally agree with you there, it was a case of absent-minded doodling turning into practice with brush strokes, so structurally and anatomically its not exactly grounded. Theres a lot I need to learn in those areas. Any tips on improving my brush strokes and such? Though I think your right and I should be focussing on structure and general drawing skills before getting lost in colouring and volume techniques.

Prohass on
    edited April 2008
    final update for the weekend...now i gotta study for finals :(

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Sublimus wrote: »
    SNIP

I totally agree with you there, it was a case of absent-minded doodling turning into practice with brush strokes, so structurally and anatomically its not exactly grounded. Theres a lot I need to learn in those areas. Any tips on improving my brush strokes and such? Though I think your right and I should be focussing on structure and general drawing skills before getting lost in colouring and volume techniques.

worry about anatomy first as well as the other basics like color theory before worrying about brush strokes. but to give you a brief answer stick with a hard round brush with opacity set to pen pressure, use the largest size you can get away with and use the eyedropper tool to blend. Try to stay away from texture brushes for the mean time, otherwise you'll be stuck over using them like me :/

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A self-portrait for tonight. Scanner's still crap, plus I kind of half-assed it 'cause I'm not really in a mood for drawing. :|

selfportrait1ke9.jpg

-Reference-

Flay on
  • nyuoobnyuoob Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the eye is good, but it needs alot of work. i can see you put the most effort into the hair....

nyuoob on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    body3ts5.png

The proportions are off because the abdominals are too small in relation to the upper chest- I think the plating going across it threw me.

The shoulders/left arm needs a lot of work (looks far too small for the build of the torso and its attached at the wrong level), but I'm pretty happy with how clunky and awkard his right arm looks. Definitely not something built for finesse.

The mask is temporary: I'll either give him a helmet or a visible face, I'll see how it goes.

...why do these guys go bare chested anyway I bet it's a big weakness in combat

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2008
    [IMG ][/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/giveadog123bones/img001.jpg [ /IMG]

img003.jpg

couple of sketches, both reffed but not entirely.
    so hi! :D

Bomb edit: link NSFW material, it's right up there in the title.

nyuoob on
    edited April 2008
    Edcrab that is disgustingly blurry.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, harden up those brushes dude. Also larger brushes. You're getting into Mykanos habits here.

bombardier on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SCAD's Savannah Sidewalk Arts Festival was yesterday. Roughly 1000 participants, I think..and right before judging happened, there was a downpour! AUGH! They gave everybody about an hour to recover. It also rained a 2nd time during that hour, but briefly. I did a vibrant Mona Lisa. It was weird drawing in front of so many people! But also kind of cool! At one point I had a group of around 20 people watching me. I also heard people talking on their cellphones about "square 361" and somebody told me that they'd heard people saying "Have you seen the Mona Lisa?" across the park. Crazy! I felt famous and kind of awkward! Also, I have learned my lesson - next year I am bringing a tarp!

This is what it looked like (from an angle, obviously) before the rain, about 2.5 hours in...

MonaBefore.jpg

And this is what it looked like after the (1st?) time it rained, and after I tried to recover it from memory in about 30 minutes. Colors dulled substantially, and I only had enough towel to somewhat cover the face/background area, which still looked a little funky in the end. Gross! :)

MonaAfter.jpg

It was a lot of fun, aside from the rain! I will do it next year too, I think, but I will draw something original instead! :)

NightDragon on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Awesome job ND! Did you reference it at all, like did you do a few practice runs on it beforehand? Or was that all from memory? Either way it looks amazing, and I bet you made the adjacent artists feel sad hehe.

Shiboe on
    edited April 2008
    Night: that's brilliant. If anything I'm doubly impressed because going through all that effort only to know that the damnable rain will annihilate it is hardcore. Like Shiboe asks, is it something you have to plan a lot prior to beginning, or do you have extensive experience when it comes to imitating Da Vinci on the pavement? :P

Dark Knight/bombardier: gotcha :) I've begun touching up the existing parts (trying to eliminate all the unnecessary brush strokes) although I haven't started on the arm yet.

[snip'd for below]

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2008
    Still looks flat and indistinct, lacks contrast, or even proper proportions :/

EDIT: There are several made up muscle groups there too.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
    edited April 2008
    Not so much made-up as badly defined- I merged a couple of muscle groups there through shoddy editing :P Edged them off again and cut off the unneeded extension at the bottom. Thanks for the help, I'll attack this again in the morning...
    body3lg8.png

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I did a little caricature of some friends who are getting married next weekend. They're having it printed large on a banner thing for people to sign at the reception:

yoaaron2.jpg

DMAC on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    imageshoppere.jpg

Trying to emulate a pretty iconic image from The Walking Dead using Artrage and Photoshop, sans a tablet. For a mouse I think she's coming along well but good fucking God I don't wanna imagine how I'm going to get the red in there.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mr Dave wrote: »
    dlggm0.jpg

I think it should be noted that this = awesome.

Mustang on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shiboe wrote: »
    Awesome job ND! Did you reference it at all, like did you do a few practice runs on it beforehand? Or was that all from memory? Either way it looks amazing, and I bet you made the adjacent artists feel sad hehe.

1st one was from reference...and then when I tried to recover it after the rain, that was from memory.
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Night: that's brilliant. If anything I'm doubly impressed because going through all that effort only to know that the damnable rain will annihilate it is hardcore. Like Shiboe asks, is it something you have to plan a lot prior to beginning, or do you have extensive experience when it comes to imitating Da Vinci on the pavement?

Well, I didn't think it was going to rain, but I did know that after the festival is over they hose everything down anyway, and remove it all. I would've been okay with that, the only reason the rain was aggravating was because it was unexpected, and washed away everything before it could be formally judged!

NightDragon on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Allocated myself 45 minutes to start and finish, but I cheated and took an hour instead. Doing this to practice values.
    EDIT: Okay an hour and 5

Journey.jpg

Mustang on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dawnfuryip1.jpg

nakirush on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    sarah.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2008
    Hey nakirush. try going into photoshop and see if you can get away with scaling the legs lager using free transfrom. not sure it can pulled off easily if at all, may be best to rework it and get those porportions right.

pretty intense piece, bacon.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    Hey nakirush. try going into photoshop and see if you can get away with scaling the legs lager using free transfrom. not sure it can pulled off easily if at all, may be best to rework it and get those porportions right.

Fixed, thanks Mykonos. :D

nakirush on
    edited April 2008
    Got the three people mostly rendered while I'm pretty sure their faces are completely done. Would appreciate a spot check to make sure I'm going on the right path with this
    turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know, man. Your figures appear to be both awkwardly positioned and proportioned, and the chick has very masculine, although skewed, facial features. I'm going to reiterate that you should practice more before jumping headfirst into another fully fledged piece.

also, kudos for breaking your soldier fetish.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2008
    i kinda get what your sayin. I wanted to make the woman more like a middle-aged diva, but if you find her to masculine, mind giving me some pointers on how to fix it?

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the middle aged look is coming across well, i would shrink her nose/make it less angular, lower the height of her cheekbones, soften the shadow separating her neck from her face (weakening her powerful jawline), and maybe even shrink her chin some. Don't go overboard, or you'll lose that rough, heavily made-up sun-leathered look that you're going for.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2008
    K, thanks a ton for pointers, hopefully this is an improvement

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    whoops...my bad

nyuoob on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I was a lot better with anatomy and damned shading.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
This discussion has been closed.