As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Oklahoma Abortion Law: Going Too Far

Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot GirlMimiga VillageRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Abortion Bill Veto Overturned by OK Legislature
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The Oklahoma Legislature voted Thursday to override Gov. Brad Henry's veto of a bill that would require doctors to perform an ultrasound on a woman planning an abortion.

Henry, a Democrat, vetoed the Republican-sponsored bill Wednesday night, saying it was "unconscionable" to require victims of rape and incest to undergo the ultrasound procedure.

Sen. Todd Lamb, who introduced the bill, said Henry was "factually inaccurate" to assert that the bill forces a woman to view an ultrasound conducted before an abortion.

According to language in the bill, however, doctors must provide an explanation of what the ultrasound is depicting and "display the ultrasound images so that the pregnant woman may view them."

The Senate, which is split with 24 Democrats and 24 Republicans, voted 37-11 for the override. The House, where Republicans have a 57-44 edge, voted to override by a margin of 81-15. The votes came with little discussion in either legislative body.

It is the first time Henry has been overridden in his two terms as governor. In fact, it was the first time a bill has been overridden since Democrat David Walters was governor in the early 1990s. His successor, Republican Frank Keating, was not overridden in eight years.

Henry said he knew it would be an uphill battle to sustain the veto, "but I thought it was important to fight to protect rape and incest victims from additional distress.

"I do not think it is morally responsible for the state to victimize those victims for a second time by forcing them to undergo an ultrasound and hear a detailed description of it after they have made the difficult and heart-wrenching decision to end their pregnancy," he said.

To summarize: A newly-created law in Oklahoma requires doctors to perform an ultrasound on any woman before she is able to recieve an abortion. The doctors are not longer just required to inform her of the potential complications. There are no exemptions for victims of rape or incest.

The story does not mention it, but the bill also requires the doctor to use the best Ultrasound method to recieve the best picture. Which in most cases means performing a Vaginal Ultrasound. This procesure is uncomfrotable to say the least, and now it is against the law for the woman or the doctor to refuse this often painful and distressing procedure. Again, no exceptions for rape vicitims.

This saddens and angers me. Never before have I seen an anti-abortion bill go so far. Treating women who want an abortion as ignorant of the consequences was bad enough. But now women must experience a uncomfortable and sometime painful procedure. And the doctor can be fined or worse if they refuse to do so. It is insane to subject victims of rape, abuse and/or incest to a painful medical proedure. Even if they say no, it doesn't matter. Even if the doctor is technically violating their Hypocratic Oath by violating and hurting a rape victim, they have to do it or they will break the law.

I've shared my feelings. Now what do you think? Are you angry, shocked? Do you think this is a case of "good intentions" going too far? Are you an Oklahoman, and if so how do you feel about this new law? Is the story I linked biased, is this bill not as bad as I think it is? Are there any doctors or lawyers who care to weigh in on this?

Curly_Brace on

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think it's being done because folks really want to push into women's mind that they're aborting a potential human and they hope that if a woman is confronted with this, that they'll be disinclined to continue and want to raise the baby.

I personally believe that it's a stressful, fucked-up time for any woman, regardless of why she's in there, and forcing the doctors to mind-fuck her further is pretty messed up, regardless of their motives.

Additionally, who would have paid for the ultrasound? They aren't cheap.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's Oklahoma. Nothing too surprising about this, unfortunately.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think there's any good intentions here. It's a bill to bully and harass women trying to get a legal procedure. It's a waste of medical resources and time for a needless purpose.

How much you want to bet the state isn't going to cover the procedure either? Or the insurance companies. That's dumping a big expense on someone's lap for an unnecessary test.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

Har har har, it's demn dat darn southies. Have you ever been to Oklahoma or have any basis to make such a wild claim? Or are you just speculating because it's the South, as per the usual memorandum around here?

Crayon on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    I think it's being done because folks really want to push into women's mind that they're aborting a potential human and they hope that if a woman is confronted with this, that they'll be disinclined to continue and want to raise the baby.

A few blogs have claimed that the woman pays for it as a part of the abortion. Unless she has insurance* that's a lot of money. SHe might as well just cross the state line.

*Unless of course the insurance company doesn't pay for abortions. And I'm not sure but I suspect state-funded health care in OK doesn't cover abortions either.

And honestly I have yet to meet any woman who doesn't understand the physical, moral and psychological consequences of an abortion. It's a potential life, we get it. I mean they even skew the information. Most states that have these "informed consent" laws make sure whatever the doctor has to tell the woman omits facts about miscarriages and stillbirths. Abortion isn't the only way a fetus can die, but God forbid we let women know that! :|

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's wasteful, invasive, and pretty horrifying.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

A few blogs have claimed that the woman pays for it as a part of the abortion. Unless she has insurance* that's a lot of money. SHe might as well just cross the state line.

*Unless of course the insurance company doesn't pay for abortions. And I'm not sure but I suspect state-funded health care in OK doesn't cover abortions either.

And honestly I have yet to meet any woman who doesn't understand the physical, moral and psychological consequences of an abortion. It's a potential life, we get it. I mean they even skew the information. Most states that have these "informed consent" laws make sure whatever the doctor has to tell the woman omits facts about miscarriages and stillbirths. Abortion isn't the only way a fetus can die, but God forbid we let women know that! :|

insurance companies will fight paying for something so unnecessary tooth and nail no matter what the law says.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This is terribly messed up.

Does anyone have a link to the actual bill language?

Medopine on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Crayon wrote: »

Har har har, it's demn dat darn southies. Have you ever been to Oklahoma or have any basis to make such a wild claim? Or are you just speculating because it's the South, as per the usual memorandum around here?

It's part of the Bible Belt.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm waiting for the accompanying law forcing citizens to view bodies of children mangled in the Iraq War, the faces of prisoners during execution and the operations of slaughterhouses.

Don't leave me hanging here Oklahoma!

Speaker on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey- let's try and heap some more guilt onto the woman! We're going to force you to look at your fetus before you destroy it! GO ON! LOOK! Might as well make them look at it after the abortion, too.

I hate being male sometimes.

Tach on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Even as someone who is against abortion, this bill is unnecessary and horrifying.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Next up: a Bill forcing women to spend at least two hours flicking through a photobook of happy babies before deciding upon an abortion.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    insurance companies will fight paying for something so unnecessary tooth and nail no matter what the law says.

Huh for the first time in a long time I'm actually happy insurance companies work they way they do. This is actually entirely possible, and while not ironic would be some sort of nice karmic justice I think.

Oh, but Tach... the bill says "the woman can avert her eyes" away from the image of the fetus! No seriously it does... but yeah moot point! The pain caused, the violation of body and privacy, the possible forceable breaking of the Hypocratic oath. Showing the woman a grainy picture of a tiny thing is the least bad thing.

Also, I am wondering: does this appy to woman who try to get the morning after pill too? An ultrasound then would be laughable, but of course not beyond the actions of these insane, evil people. This bill also restricts the use of the most popular "abortion pill" too, so it makes me wonder.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    The EmitThe Emit Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I'm an Oklahoman, and this is the first I've heard of this. Which is not surprising in the least. I tend to ignore bills and new laws. I tend to be quiet in my support or lack of support for such things. Which, yah, shame on me.

I personally think it's disgusting. But I'm definitely not your average Oklahoman either. I support abortion and all this bill does is make the process as difficult, embarrassing, and guilt-ridden as possible. Am I surprised? Not really. Am I appalled? Damn right.

The Emit on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm pretty sure except in all but a few cases (rape, incest, survival of the mother, an abortion would be considered an elective procedure, but I'll be honest in saying I haven't researched that and I'm pulling things out of my ass.
    But, if they say it 5 more times, to be sure, they'll get it... just like arguing on the internet.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Making a doctor's appointment to get a morning after pill completely destroys the point of the morning after pill.

And an ultrasound would show fuckall at that point anyway.

Medopine on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oklahoma further degrades the reproductive rights of women.

In other news: grass is green.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A bunch of old men in business suits need a boot up their ass. And make them take an ultra-sound before you remove it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    @ Curly- yeah, I was focusing on what was the first and most sensationalist part of what is so fucking wrong with this law. Your points are more than valid, and horrifingly so.

Lets hope a doctor refuses, gets hit with this, and we can just take it to the courts where it'll be knocked the fuck down.

Tach on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Crayon wrote: »

Dude I live in Missouri, I am perfectly comfortable condemning the idiots that surround me. I've been to Oklahoma, it's a putrid cesspool of ignorance and empty cornfields.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    @ Curly- yeah, I was focusing on what was the first and most sensationalist part of what is so fucking wrong with this law. Your points are more than valid, and horrifingly so.

Lets hope a doctor refuses, gets hit with this, and we can just take it to the courts where it'll be knocked the fuck down.

Oh yeah I wasn't at all disagreeing with you, just venting more of my shock, really. Which yeah, is a little odd: me, of all people, actualliny being shocked at the inhumane, evil things people can do.
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    A bunch of old men in business suits need a boot up their ass. And make them take an ultra-sound before you remove it.

He he, thank you. That gave me a much-needed chuckle! :P

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooklahoma where the wind come's sweepin' down the plain!

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Adhoc2008Adhoc2008 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, i need to see the bill, but why is an ltrasound being done here? Any medical reasons? Do they help planning/performing the abortion, avoid risks of complication? Anything like that?

Anyway you make an ultrasound sound like toture..

The physical aspect of ultrasound is not. torture. Lets just establish that.

Psychologically, im pretty unsure, aren't rape/incest (whom i imagine all the outrage is directed on behalf of?) victims going to have abortions fairly early? In which case, the picture looks nothing like a foetus at all to a lay person. As for the doc explaining the procedure, well, yeah? Docs always explain procedures they perform, they cant just do whatever they want to your body and not tell you whats going on.

So we're back to: is there any reason to perform the ultrasound medically. If there is, i think it would be worth it. Safer abortion, safer patient.

Adhoc2008 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Adhoc2008 wrote: »
    Well, i need to see the bill, but why is an ltrasound being done here? Any medical reasons? Do they help planning/performing the abortion, avoid risks of complication? Anything like that?

Psychologically, im pretty unsure, aren't rape/incest (whom i imagine all the outrage is directed on behalf of?) victims going to have abortions fairly early? In which case, the picture looks nothing like a foetus at all to a lay person. As for the doc explaining the procedure, well, yeah? Docs always explain procedures they perform, they cant just do whatever they want to your body and not tell you whats going on.

So we're back to: is there any reason to perform the ultrasound medically. If there is, i think it would be worth it. Safer abortion, safer patient.

No, they are trying to guild the mother to not get the abortion if they "see" the shape of their unborn child on the monitor. For "unwanted" pregnancies for a "high school slut" who just wasn't taking any precautions, alright maybe (very very loosely) I could see trying to talk her out of it. But rape/incest?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The law requires a hi-res ultrasound which may be a vaginal ultrasound which is pretty invasive.

Also it's not the government's fucking job to talk people in or out of things. People have a right to do what they want with their bodies.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »

No, they are trying to guild the mother to not get the abortion if they "see" the shape of their unborn child on the monitor. For "unwanted" pregnancies for a "high school slut" who just wasn't taking any precautions, alright maybe (very very loosely) I could see trying to talk her out of it. But rape/incest?

No, there is no "trying to talk her out of it" no matter who it is under whatever circumstances. She has reproductive rights and control of her own body. Giving her necessary information is acceptable, forcing unnecessary information in order to pressure her or change her mind because you think you know what's best for her is not.

Medopine on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It doesn't matter if the person is a victim of rape/incest or just some random girl. Forcing someone to see that explicitly with the purpose of talking them out of it (which it is) is a cheap tactic. If you're going to establish that abortion is legal and allowable, you shouldn't have some kind of pseudo-ban that may do nothing more than a little bit more trauma.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, this is what religious moderation gets you in my opinion.

Meiz on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Adhoc beat my question by a few minutes. I don't know that much about the process or purpose of an ultrasound. Would it be possible to use such a test to determine if an abortion would be safe (relatively speaking) for the mother, or to identify possible complications? If so, I can understand the justification for this bill.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If it was phrased as an ultrasound or anything else for the doctor to look at and make sure this wouldn't hurt the patient, fine.

This is blatantly being billed as a way to fuck with the patient more. There's no medical, safety, or any other reason to do so than to show pictures to the patient in order to change their minds.

That's.. it's bad enough that I can see a lot of prosecution of doctors who simply refuse to participate in this travesty.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, i need to see the bill, but why is an ultrasound being done here? Any medical reasons? Do they help planning/performing the abortion, avoid risks of complication? Anything like that?

There are, obviously, medical reasons to perfom an ultrasound before an abortion. But it's not usually not medically nessessary.

And yes I doubt this appiles to users of the morning after pill. I was just wondering out loud about how far these folks are willing to take it. And andly cases of incestuous rape are often not reporter or discovered until later in the pregnancy. The woman in these cases is sometimes not able to safely seek out a doctor or morning after pill.

And a Vaginal Ultrasound can be uncomfortable and occasionally painful. Plus a woman in OK no longer has a right to refuse the Ultrasound. Whether she wants it or not, something may be placed up her vagina. Even if she was raped and abused. That is downright evil. The state is pretty much forcing doctors to perfom a medically unsessary procedure. No doubt many doctors will refuse to follow this law, and I hope the following court cases over-turn this law. This abosutely wrong and a horrible invasion of privacy.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Adhoc beat my question by a few minutes. I don't know that much about the process or purpose of an ultrasound. Would it be possible to use such a test to determine if an abortion would be safe (relatively speaking) for the mother, or to identify possible complications? If so, I can understand the justification for this bill.

Even if it was, why does the government have to mandate that doctors do it? If it is a necessary procedure that will aid in the safety of the abortion, doctors would be telling patients that and ultrasounds would be happening already.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »

In a normal pregnancy a ultrasound would be a pretty standard procedure though I don't think they'd ordinarily do it very early.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It does seem like with a rape victim you would be forced (as a doctor) to NOT give them a vaginal ultrasound on mental health grounds.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    For a party that uses the term socialized medicine like it's a curse from the deepest pits of hell the GOP sure like intruding in the medical profession.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    For a party that uses the term socialized medicine like it's a curse from the deepest pits of hell the GOP sure like intruding in the medical profession.

That's my other feeling here. Mandated procedures are never a good idea, really. On the whole, doctors tend to loathe legislative meddling in their profession as far as micromanaging which procedures they must use, and when. It doesn't do a lot besides take away the autonomy of both the patient and the doctor, and mess up the relationship between the two parties.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Adhoc2008Adhoc2008 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also it's not the government's fucking job to talk people in or out of things. People have a right to do what they want with their bodies.

Well thats a highway to nowhere :p. People dont have a right to do what they want with their bodies, actually. How about i use my body to smother someone. How about i commit suicide. How about i carry my daddies babies. Facetious, sure, but the comment quoted is reactionary.
    This is blatantly being billed as a way to fuck with the patient more. There's no medical, safety, or any other reason to do so than to show pictures to the patient in order to change their minds.

I feel like we're missing information here, where is the justification for the bill? I presume the democrats and republicans who voted for it have their reasons, what were they? Without that information, you're simply filling the blanks with whatever agenda you feel they had. Cynicism will lead you to believe people want to hurt other people. I'd rather delay judgement on their motives until i see the reason for the bill.

Again, i know if i take x-rays of any patient im obligated to show them the pictures and explain what im doing. It's a staple of healthcare; anti-paternalism. The patient can refuse to look at them..and that option is given in this bill as well, if i read the first page right.

Adhoc2008 on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They've already done this in Florida, and if I remember correctly they just fixed it so women in their first trimester now have to undergo the procedure as well.

Oh, and women have to pay for it too- even if they don't want the procedure done. It's total bull.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Adhoc if a patient comes in with a hurt arm but refuses to have xrays done are you legally allowed to pin them down the the machine and force them?

as for the first argument adhoc the supreme court says otherwise

nexuscrawler on