As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New 3DMark out now: Free version can only run once?

DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
Is anyone here besides me excited? I love the eye candy these guys come up with!

http://www.futuremark.com/3dmarkvantage/

I never score that well, but this time I think I'm close enough to the bleeding edge to get a decent score as well as enjoy the visuals.

Edit: Seems like the trial version can only run once, and the basic edition is no longer free, but costs $7...

Doomulon on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, 3DMark. The fruitless exercise in seeing how shitty your thousands-of-dollars computer really is. I remember how stoked I was when I could finally see that one scene in the "Return to Proxycon" test in 3DMark 05/06 when that big guy blew open the hatch and a hojillion particles flew out -- without the demo completely grinding to a halt for three seconds while my computer struggled to calculate the effects. It took me three years.

And now, the wonderful cycle continues!

Zxerol on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Woo. Just bought a new computer. Can't want to know how much money I wasted.

That_Guy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I always like watching these!

urahonky on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    3d mark seems to have no relation to reality at all. Still, I'll want to see how pretty it is, and for fun I might see if it can break my laptop.

Rook on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    A new test with little to no real world value?

Sign me up

Satan. on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like it because I can pwn the test in like two generations after it was made.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like 3Dmark because the graphics are usually really cutting edge and look awesome, and it provides a solid abstract comparison point to see where your PC stacks up.

I hate 3Dmark because the scenes are purposefully assembled to run like ass and not perform well, so that by the time normal games actually look like that your computer actually performs FAR better than the bench would let you think.

Scosglen on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This will coincide almost exactly with my getting a new PC. Awesome coincidence.

His Corkiness on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    am i correct in understanding that 3dmark is not "optimized" in the way that games are "optimized" so that running them becomes a reality

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've always hated 3dmark as a real test because it fluctuates too much. Something that is pragmatic and solid test design shouldn't fluctuate to the degree that 3dmark does. I've always felt like it was some sort of E-peen meter that was pointless.

Viscountalpha on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Ah, 3DMark. The fruitless exercise in seeing how shitty your thousands-of-dollars computer really is. I remember how stoked I was when I could finally see that one scene in the "Return to Proxycon" test in 3DMark 05/06 when that big guy blew open the hatch and a hojillion particles flew out -- without the demo completely grinding to a halt for three seconds while my computer struggled to calculate the effects. It took me three years.

And now, the wonderful cycle continues!
    Oh man, I just can't wait to see my $2000 laptop (and probably the $1500 quad-core desktop I'm about to buy) get absolutely destroyed by this ridiculous, completely-not-relevant-to-anything graphics demo. "Thank you sir. May I have another?"

edit: Look at those ridiculous fuckin' screenshots. There's no way anyone can run that shit at 2560x1600. As Alpha said this product is essentially an e-peen meter and nothing more.

Azio on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks pretty though.

The best news is in 15 years time your mobile phone will run this, and you'll cry.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    Haha, wtf? I ran the "can your computer run this?" for this 3D mark and I got:

Close, but no cigar - your computer does not meet the minimum requirements.

My specs:

AMD FX60 Processor (running at ~2.8ghz)
    2GB RAM
    Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB

I have a hard time believing that I can't run this test at all.

e: Apparently Windows XP isn't supported?

urahonky on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are you running Vista? It's DX10-only.

His Corkiness on
    edited April 2008
    Just found that out. :P Oh well, I didn't want to watch it anyway!!!

*tear*

urahonky on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    booo

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
    edited April 2008
    They're hardly going to release a third DX9 one are they?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    They're hardly going to release a third DX9 one are they?

That's not on the bleeding edge and the new ATI RADEON MAXX 9990XXL XTREME GOLD EDITION is DX10, so why bother?

Satan. on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I think 3dmark just punched themselves in the dick since a fair amount of people I know are staying away from vista.

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2008
    Well, I think 3dmark just punched themselves in the dick since a fair amount of people I know are staying away from vista.

I'm sure they're quivering in their boots over the legions of people not on Vista.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

I'm sure they're quivering in their boots over the legions of people not on Vista.

I just don't understand why they couldn't do an XP launch. *shrug* I guess that wraps it up for me.

Edit : ballmer link for the lawlz.

http://gizmodo.com/381469/ballmer-vista-is-a-work-in-progress

Viscountalpha on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What the hell would be the point of testing DX9 yet again?

It's a DX10 benchmark, and you need Vista for DX10.

This is not Futuremark saying anything negative about WinXP

Deusfaux on
    edited April 2008
    Their dev videos say that DX10 is far nicer to work in than DX9, and the only benefit in using it comes from making it all DX10 native, rather than just sticking some bits on afterwards.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Their dev videos say that DX10 is far nicer to work in than DX9, and the only benefit in using it comes from making it all DX10 native, rather than just sticking some bits on afterwards.

Precisely. The performance benefits from DX10 are only noticeable if the test is built from scratch in DX10. To make it work in XP you would have to rework everything to work in DX9 which would end up being a completely different test. It's impossible to create a test that tests the limits of DX10 and still works with DX9.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow @ viscountalpha.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited April 2008
    It's out now, it's busy working away reaching the dizzying highs of almost 1FPS

edit: oh shits... 3 fps!

Rook on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Apparently mine will get 9,000 points - a useless number, but eh. It gave out to me for having an 8800 GTS 320mb when I should have a gpu with 512mb and above. Tsk, eh? It'll give me an excuse for booting up Vista anyway.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    meh, im still waiting on a trial key that will never arrive.

::grumbles::

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    If it's any consolation, you're not missing much. Crashes on my laptop, and I don't seem to get any results from my desktop for some bizarre reason. Tests look kinda rubbish too.

Rook on
    edited April 2008
    no, i think it would run well. got a brand new system.

disappointing, they wont send out another key to my email, but i never got the first one.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think what Rook means is not so much that it doesn't run well on his laptop, but that it's buggy and the tests don't look too good.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • walerianwalerian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Am I the only one who wants a game exactly like the 2nd graphics test?

walerian on
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I got 10349/5156.

I'm not sure, but I think that number makes my E-Peen somewhere around fifteen thousand feet long. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2008
    Slap Moe with it, duh

Satan. on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, with the lousy mirrors and such I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. My first download was corrupted or something and the damn thing won't even install.

...I love those "quit unexpectedly" errors in Vista...D:

Doomulon on
    edited April 2008
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I got 10349/5156.

I'm not sure, but I think that number makes my E-Peen somewhere around fifteen thousand feet long. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Get attractive women pregnant from far far away.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    I got decent i guess.

P4555

CPU : 8215
    GPU: 3966

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=31722&resultType=19

arcath on
    camo_sig.png