As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Otters Deserve Jetpacks (Shirt Design) Close to Done pg2

Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Artist's Corner
The look I'm going for is cute, but maybe I should make it more badass for the fellas?
I like him so far, I just think I need to tighten up some lines. What about you guys?

I appriciate the comments and suggestions so far. New drawings will be added to the OP as they need to be. I also really haven't made many threads in this forum so, mabye it will evolve into a dump thread.

otterssketch.jpg
OtterswithJetpacks1.jpg
OtterswithJetpacks2.jpg

Demi Gourd on

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    ahaha I love it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love it. Really a great job.

P.S. I sent you a PM.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks you two. I was thinking of either giving him little goggles or maybe making the jey pack more high tech looking. Also, I was going to submit this to threadless once it gets tuned up more. I suppose I could do a few different color variations for various types of otter.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I would love to see what this looks like with goggles on the otter. I would also maybe fix up the color of the flames coming out of the jet pack. Maybe just add a little orange/yellow/red to the part where it is coming out of the jet pack and keep most of the white.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I like the shirt design, but would never buy anything from Threadless.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i love the idea, but i would suggest tightening up the lineart and coloring, unless you are specifically going for the scribble look.

also there isn't any coloring on the jetpack or jetpack straps, and i would suggest giving the flames some orange and reds, it would really contrast nicely with the blue of the shirt.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Druhim wrote: »

Cafepress better?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The lines are messy, the colors are messy, the fire is white, and the layout is boring. I've provided some examples of preliminary ideas of what seems more exciting to me.

otterszy8.jpg

Anyways, you need to just draw and practice more before thinking of selling shirts. This design would not get very far on threadless. Sorry if this sounds "mean", but I'm kind of tired of worrying about sounding mean on these forums. You need to learn more, draw more, etc.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Exactly my thoughts, srsizzy. I think the idea is a sellable one, but I think the art on this at best a rough draft. It really doesn't make it as the "cutsey crude drawing" either, as it lacks both the stylized quickness and crisp cuteness other images have gotten away with by being similarly simplistic.

All of srsizzy's examples are more interesting and the last one gives a good feeling of that simple cuteness. There's not much too it, but there is a definite flow and crispness that sells it.

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the input forum people. Since I'm trying to keep under 8 colors in regards to the Threadless rules, I couldn't think of another way to do the goggles right away. I'm also not sure why it looks so saturated right now, its probably because I switched it to CMYK color.

I personally think the goggles up the cute factor, but they seem to clutter up the face with detail.

EDIT: srsizzy, good input. I came up with other compositions for this already, and they do look similar to yours in some ways. And you're not mean, in my opinion. I like to hear crticism in a direct and honest way.

Updating OP.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Use circular goggles and let us see his eyes through them. That is what I would want. :winky:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Use circular goggles and let us see his eyes through them. That is what I would want. :winky:

One rough sketch and some quick colors later.

otterssketch2color.jpg

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Haha. I love the circle goggles. They definitely work better than the square goggles.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You know, I'd actually prefer that sketchier version on a shirt over the "more finished" version. If you cleaned it up just a it more, but left the pencil lines, it's far more endearing.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My only issue with the 'circle goggle' composition is that I can't really tell that's suppose to be an otter. Don't get me wrong, the idea of any kind of woodland creature with a jetpack is a pretty cool idea by itself. However, it doesn't have the iconic look of an otter as the first one does (laying on its back, I mean).

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yet more sketches.
    ottersketch3.jpg

to srsizzy - Yeah, I can see what you're saying. Does it play up the cuteness of it to be more of a sketch-look?

to MegaMan001 - I agree that it clearly needs to be an otter. I like the on the back pose the most and the holding face in surprise should stay a part of the composition too.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yes, but only because the original wasn't very clean its execution and the otter was lacking the cartoon-proportions to achieve that form of "cuteness" and just seemed like it was trying to be realistic but not really succeeding.

srsizzy on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Try making the face a little more realistic. The otter is one of those rare creatures that look cute w/ small eyes and long faces.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that the eyes are cuter smaller, i.e. without the goggles. Why don't you try it with the goggles, but not over his eyes, but sort of up on his forehead. That makes me think that maybe he was getting all his equipment ready for a wonderful jetpack adventure but the jetpack ignited before he got a chance to move his goggles down.

Silly otter!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Or put him in these:
    42-17778750.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B958971F7-6AED-4955-9CBD-CD64F6573901%7D

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for all the crits, duders. With two more weeks of school left, its hard to find time to draw. I should have time to post something more finalish on Friday.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

Cafepress better?

I forgot to respond to this before. Yeah, I've tried Cafepress with some other designs and the printing quality on the shirts is pretty bad. Like, it looks very cheap and faded. You guys know of any other web place to print out some quality shirts?

Also
    OtterswithJetpacks1-2.jpg

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what program are you painting these in demi? You're getting a white line around the outline of your painting. I'm guessing it's because you did a paintbucket around it? If you did it in PS keep the otter/everything else on a separate layer and just solid color the background so you don't get the white outline.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    what program are you painting these in demi? You're getting a white line around the outline of your painting. I'm guessing it's because you did a paintbucket around it? If you did it in PS keep the otter/everything else on a separate layer and just solid color the background so you don't get the white outline.

Photoshop, yes. Even though it was paintbucket'd It looks fine to me on screen in the program, but now that I look at it again I see what you mean. Commencing to edit.

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Every time I see this I think "The physics are off". I don't think the otter's body would move that way under that kind of stress. That last design looks like he's falling rather than being thrusted upwards.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Every time I see this I think "The physics are off". I don't think the otter's body would move that way under that kind of stress. That last design looks like he's falling rather than being thrusted upwards.

You are correct, sir! However I did notice this problem and tend to fix it post haste!

So, I rotated him a bit. The reason I don't have his back flush to the jet pack is that it seems it would burn his fur or something? I don't know, that's the only reason I've got for drawing it that way, which now seems silly.
    OtterswithJetpacks1-3.jpg

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Demi Gourd wrote: »

You are correct, sir! However I did notice this problem and tend to fix it post haste!

So, I rotated him a bit. The reason I don't have his back flush to the jet pack is that it seems it would burn his fur or something? I don't know, that's the only reason I've got for drawing it that way, which now seems silly.
    OtterswithJetpacks1-3.jpg

On the jetpack's straps....the one on our left (his right) isn't outlined in black like the other one. Is that a mistake that I found or is that how it is supposed to be?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    On the jetpack's straps....the one on our left (his right) isn't outlined in black like the other one. Is that a mistake that I found or is that how it is supposed to be?

After looking at it closely, I'm not sure what you mean. Both jetpack straps look to be outlined in black to me. Do you mean the shadow that is on the (his left) one?

Demi Gourd on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Nevermind. When I look at it now, I see that that white part isn't the same color as his light fur. My bad.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png