As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question about tax rebates

JavenJaven Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
There's something I'm rather confused about concerning the stimulus checks that started going out today. A few weeks ago I received a notice, like everyone else, to expect a stimulus check for 600 dollars on X date. This made sense at the time since I fit the income criteria, yet about a week ago I was informed that my mother filed me as a dependent (I moved back home mid last year) which would mean that I would not receive a check. She filed her taxes long before the notice went out, so I can't assume they weren't aware. So what's the deal?

Javen on

• Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Same thing happened to me. I think that they probably sent the notice out to everyone that filled taxes.

I was really bummed when my mom informed me I would not be getting my $600. I was going to buy an old motorcycle.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • 3vil0n33vil0n3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It was my understanding that the stimulus check references last years taxes, as in filed in 2007. I could be wrong but that's how it was explained to me.

3vil0n3 on
    Animal Crossing. edward from raccoon
    Friend Code: 3178-9186-1924
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    3vil0n3 wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the stimulus check references last years taxes, as in filed in 2007. I could be wrong but that's how it was explained to me.
    Just to be clear: it's very likely they used last year's check as a reference for who to send it to (very few people go from non-dependent status to dependent), but you will not, in fact, be getting a check if you were claimed as a dependent for 2007.

Did you make sure that was noted on your taxes, Javen? Because if it wasn't, you'll need to file an amended return.

Thanatos on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Just to be clear: it's very likely they used last year's check as a reference for who to send it to (very few people go from non-dependent status to dependent), but you will not, in fact, be getting a check if you were claimed as a dependent for 2007.

Did you make sure that was noted on your taxes, Javen? Because if it wasn't, you'll need to file an amended return.

I don't believe I did, no. I had no reason to. We're on seperate insurance plans, and the only reason she had reason to claim me as a dependent is my change of residence to where she is the primary homeowner.

Javen on
    edited April 2008
    Javen wrote: »

I don't believe I did, no. I had no reason to. We're on seperate insurance plans, and the only reason she had reason to claim me as a dependent is my change of residence to where she is the primary homeowner.
    Yeah, but if she claimed you, you need to tell that to the IRS. It probably won't make much (if any) difference, but it is tax fraud if you don't.

Odds are, she saved a bunch on her taxes by claiming you.

Thanatos on
    edited April 2008

Yeah, but if she claimed you, you need to tell that to the IRS. It probably won't make much (if any) difference, but it is tax fraud if you don't.

Odds are, she saved a bunch on her taxes by claiming you.

Well yeah, I assumed that much of her rationale, it's just a pain, especially not being told.

Javen on
    edited April 2008
    Well yeah, I assumed that much of her rationale, it's just a pain, especially not being told.
    True that.

How did she file her taxes? Given the existance of the rebate check, you might want to get her to file an amended return, instead, so you can get your check, if she saved less than $600 by claiming you (and her taxes weren't too terribly difficult).

Thanatos on
    edited April 2008
    True that.

How did she file her taxes? Given the existance of the rebate check, you might want to get her to file an amended return, instead, so you can get your check, if she saved less than $600 by claiming you (and her taxes weren't too terribly difficult).

I know is she filed electronically, I'm not sure exactly what she used to do so. I plan on prodding her about it more later and at the very least, getting the extra 300 that should be added to her own rebate.

Javen on
    edited April 2008
    True that.

I know is she filed electronically, I'm not sure exactly what she used to do so. I plan on prodding her about it more later and at the very least, getting the extra 300 that should be added to her own rebate.
    She won't get an extra $300 because you're over 17.

Thanatos on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, you should check to see if she can claim you. Do you meet these requirements?

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20010208a2.asp?caret=

The biggest ones for most people are age, and whether you're at school or disabled or something that qualifies you as "at home" for longer. If you're over 19 and not in school, it's unlikely that she can claim you. Just because your kid lives with you doesn't mean they're automatically a dependent.

Of course, if you are a dependent, then you need to file an amended return. If you're not, then SHE does. And you can point out to her that since the IRS has both your name and her name on separate returns, it's not exactly hard for them to discover the discrepancy.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited April 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Yeah, you should check to see if she can claim you. Do you meet these requirements?

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20010208a2.asp?caret=

The biggest ones for most people are age, and whether you're at school or disabled or something that qualifies you as "at home" for longer. If you're over 19 and not in school, it's unlikely that she can claim you. Just because your kid lives with you doesn't mean they're automatically a dependent.

Of course, if you are a dependent, then you need to file an amended return. If you're not, then SHE does. And you can point out to her that since the IRS has both your name and her name on separate returns, it's not exactly hard for them to discover the discrepancy.
    You're not required to claim dependents. You can elect not to claim them if it's advantageous.

Thanatos on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Right, but if he's ineligible to be claimed, then she's the one who has to amend, not him.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited April 2008
    I know she can claim me (I'm 21 and still in school) we just need to look at her returns to see if me being a dependent saves her more than the refund would be.

Javen on
  • RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm curious about this also. I've been out of my mother's home for two years, I'm 21, and she was helping pay for school. She still has been claiming me as a dependent. I'm very poor, but I make enough to qualify for the stimulus checks. Is she getting an extra 300-600 because of me, that I can get from her, or I'm I just shit out of luck? I was really looking forward to a few extra hundred dollars to help with this debt I'm trapped in...

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty extremely disappointed. I was under the belief that I would be getting a check for $300 even though I am a dependent (in a weird sort of way, my dad claims me even though we live in different states). I suppose if my dad does get the check he will probably be willing to give the money to me, though. However, in such a case, there's high danger that he might simply set aside the check to pay off part of the laptop he's buying me for graduation...which is nice and all, but damn...I wanted to start investing.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I think Javen's issue is pretty well solved, any other questions can be asked in here.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.