As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows XP Service pack 3 problems

Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok here is the scoop, SP3 came out today I have manually DLed the SP but cannot install it.

The reason I cannot install is because ive installed the SP3 RC2 that came out a while ago, when I tried to uninstall the service pack rc via add/remove programs it just disapeared, leaving SP3 RC2 and no way to uninstall it. Is there any way short of a full reinstall to get Sp3 loaded on my machine?

IF the answer is no well I guess I'll make a slip stream anyway, but any help would be vastly appreciated.

Durandal Infinity on

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am not sure about your question, but where did you find sp3? I have been looking for it all day and have not been able to find the download link for it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    The version you have downloaded is still the release candidate regardless of what you might have read.

If I remember correctly, having installed a release candidate basically screws you out of installing further updates.

Anyway...news of the delay on the real SP3...

http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MzIwNzUsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay, at least I know what I couldn't find it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KMFurDM wrote: »
    The version you have downloaded is still the release candidate regardless of what you might have read.

Think it was released on MSDN last week. How do you know if yours is RTM? The download I got was straight from microsoft website and was larger than SP3 RC2. MajorGeeks has it and you can dig up alternate download sites with research. Mine's build 5512, I thought that was RTM.

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sp3wc3.png

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It may have been on the MSDN but with that bug it has since been pulled. It can't be found on TechNet either.

Most of the executables out there refer to the Knowledge Base article regarding RC3.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It may have been on the MSDN but with that bug it has since been pulled. It can't be found on TechNet either.

Most of the executables out there refer to the Knowledge Base article regarding RC3.

still appears and downloadable on msdn for me

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Neat. Too bad it's still not the RTM version.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Neat. Too bad it's still not the RTM version.

i don't think you understand how this works
    SP3 has been RTM'd. Once you go RTM, you do not go back, you can release a patch on top of it, but you can't go back. It has been confirmed that the RTM build number is 5512. The version on the MSDN site is 5512 Now it seems they may have a minor issue with the RMS, this will not/cannot affect the RTM build, they will likely put out a patch on top of it or concurrent to it. The issues actually doesn't affect the majority of people and judging from this the fix is gonna be a sorta filter/patch as needed solution so the vast majority of us won't even see a change anyway and those that do, will still be installing the RTM but with a patch on top of it. But in short, the version release on the webpages and on MSDN and technet are not RCs they are the RTM

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the clarification regarding RTM. The rest I have read though which basically says to me...don't bother...yet.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok, now that we know I got it off of MSDN how can I uninstall my RC2 if the uninstaller in the (ADD/REMOVE) programs menu does not exist because it disapeared. I assume that it exists elsewhere I just dont know

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    TahnkaTahnka Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder if, in Add/Remove programs, if you need to check the 'show updates' box at the top in order to see it, to remove it.

Also check for C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Here's the uninstall registry key for SP3 RTM. I imagine this key may be missing, causing the add/remove to not show the button.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows XP Service Pack]
    "DisplayName"="Windows XP Service Pack 3"
    "UninstallString"="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\$NtServicePackUninstall$\\spuninst\\spuninst.exe\""
    "TSAware"=dword:00000001
    "NoModify"=dword:00000001
    "InstallDate"="20080502"
    "Publisher"="Microsoft Corporation"
    "NoRepair"=dword:00000001
    "HelpLink"="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=936929"
    "URLInfoAbout"="http://support.microsoft.com"
    "DisplayVersion"="20080414.031525"
    "ParentDisplayName"="Windows XP - Software Updates"

Tahnka on