XBox 360 Headset Plug Question

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
This should be a quick question;

I bought a set of 5.1 Surround headphones to use with my 360, and its got a mic and a cable adapter that will let you plug the mic into the 360 controller to use with Live.

Well, the problem is the cord to plug into the controller is just a generic 1.8 (or whatever) jack, and there's no mute/volume controls like there are for the 1st Party Headsets.

What I want to know is, if I cut the cables and spliced my headset cable with the headset connector that came with my 360, will it work? More importantly, will the mute/volume controls on the connector work with my headset?

My initial thought is; there's no reason it shouldn't because a cable is a cable, and the mic with my headset, while made to fit the headset, is more or less just a generic mic. I'm assuming the mute/volume "controls" are in the connector and unless the 360 headset has some extra wiring I don't know about, it should work.

Has anyone done this to know? Does someone know enough about wiring to make a good guess if it would work or not?

Worse case scenario is I get a useless 360 headset and I have to buy a new cable for my new mic, so I'd be out a whole few bucks; but I'd prefer to have a good idea of what I'm getting into.

For reference, here's the headset I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826235001&Tpk=GA600

mini-review for anyone who cares:
They sound great. You have to fiddle with the controls to get the balance of the speakers to make it sound right, but once you get it set up it sounds nice. It's not quite as "surround" as a normal surround speaker system, but it is way better than just normal stereo headphones. I've been playing 360 games with surround and they sound great, and I've watched a few action intense movies with them and they're also excellent sounding. They have a good range of sound, the bass is the only problem; and while the bass is actually quite good for headphones, the "subwoofer" in the headset is, as a feature, a "vibration" speaker. So if you think it'd bug you to have your speakers vibrate (it's not as noticeable as it would seem, and for instance watching Transformers (2007) the "vibration" gave me the same effect as I get watching a movie in theatres and the walls shake and you can feel the explosions and such), that could be a problem.

I haven't tested the mic yet because I haven't felt like playing any live games the last couple days. Since there's no volume control on the headset or the cord for the mic you have to control the volume in the 360 control panel; which is annoying and why I made this thread to find a better way.

My only gripes about the system is that there is kind of a lot of cables. There's a optical and coaxial digital input into the decoder box; the decoder box has an AC cable; there's the cable from the box to the headphones; and if you use the mic with Live there's a cable from the headset to the 360 controller. It's nice to have options however, for the sound. For instance I can use the optical input to plug my 360 into and the coaxial input to plug my surround PC into, and all I do is flip a switch on the box and it will play whatever. Another gripe is, the volume is on the decoder box. This isn't a huge deal because the hand controls up by the headset let you manually control the volume levels for front/rear/center/sub(vibration), you just need to find a medium level on the box to start with.

There's the pc standard green/black/orange surround output on the box too, should you want to pass through to speakers. It's made for PC/360 use, so it comes with the adapters for 5.1 pc cards and mic; in addition to the 360 hookups. The cord for the headset itself is really long, and likely will stretch across most normal sized living rooms; though I use it at my desk where my 360 is so I don't need that long of a cord.

Also, it's a little heavy on the head. I should have expected this given that it's fairly large and has a lot of speakers in there, but still, after a couple hours of gaming/movies it gets a little heavy.

Anyway, I'm really happy with them. The gripes I have are relatively minor and as far as the cables are concerned, once you're hooked up you don't have to fiddle with it anymore.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I took apart the connector for the 360 headset and it looks like the cable splits into 3(4?) different cables once inside the box. I assume for the volume/mute/audio. I'm not sure I can fiddle with the other cable enough to do that right.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The 360 uses a standard phone headset jack. There should be converter boxes that will adapt the twin 3.5mm leads into the needed single 2.5mm lead.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    The easiest way to do it would be to use one of the "Original Xbox Headset Adapters" like this

http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=16258

Although the description is inaccurate - you can, in fact, plug cellphone headsets/OXbox headsets directly into the controller, you just don't have mute/volume easily accessible.

FyreWulff on