As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows XP SP3 is here.

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
For those of you what use XP, Service Pack 3 is available.
Linky to the English version
And the Ars article covering it.

SP3 Overview

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    *snore*

Satan. on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes yes, I know. No worldly evil can compare to you.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    Yes yes, I know. No worldly evil can compare to you.

No, it's just that nothing in SP3 is really that exciting. As far as I can tell, it's just a gigantic security rollup.

EDIT: Also, you might want to link to the MS support page for the service pack instead of linking directly to it.

Satan. on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It does look like a pretty tame upgrade, with most of the features being modules to interact with Windows Server 2008.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could never stomach Automatic Updates. Now at least I can get all those security patches all in one go. Downloading.

Silvoculous on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So nothing life changing in SP3, like with SP2 and its firewall stuff and security center and all that?

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    So nothing life changing in SP3, like with SP2 and its firewall stuff and security center and all that?

Not that I saw. I got prompted to turn on automatic updates when I updated my Parallels install.

Also, it looks like SP3 won't be dropped onto Windows / Microsoft Update today because of some problem MS found at the last moment. Just in case you're looking there for it.

Satan. on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    *pushes up nerd glasses* I've had SP3 for weeks. It hasn't really done anything noticeable.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm gonna wait and see if anything happens to people's PCs.

Took me forever to upgrade to SP2 when that came out.

GiantRobo on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think it only had existing security updates and some hardly relevant networking crap in it.

The one notable thing about it is that it has IE7 bundled in it, one step closer to me not having to do compatibility testing for IE6 ever a-fucking-gain.

Jasconius on
  • sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually that is not true. Microsoft has specifically stated that IE7 is NOT included in SP3.

Other than adding support for a few things that Vista/Server 2008 introduced, it is mostly just a roll-up of previous fixes. However several sites have reported that testing of the release candidates has shown up to a 10% increase in performance over SP2.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You guys either have really short memories or SP2 for XP was the first SP you ever installed.

SP2 was a freak. SPs are not normally like that and are more like SP3, basically just a collection of updates and 1 or 2 other minor changes/additions. It's been this way since forever.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Microsoft is saying that the web release of SP3 was delayed....?

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3262170&SiteID=17

chamberlain on
    edited April 2008

The release of SP3 on Windows / Microsoft Update is delayed. You can still get it via direct link without issues.

Satan. on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sinn wrote: »
    Actually that is not true. Microsoft has specifically stated that IE7 is NOT included in SP3.

Damnit, I read that today too. I could have sworn it was the opposite in the earlier phases.

Jasconius on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The only real GUI change I've noticed is that the address toolbar has been removed (typing url's etc into the taskbar). But I never used that anyway.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

They claim its a Retail Management System (RMS) issue with some software they have on XP. My gut feeling makes me think they aren't being 100% honest with us here though. It could be just paranoia with MS but it might be justified.

Viscountalpha on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well hey, easy one-stop download of a service pack.

For some reason I had a problem finding the SP2 executable when I built my last computer so I couldn't get it running at the start and so apparently couldn't format more than 120 gigs of my harddrive.

I'll have to burn this and keep it handy for future installations.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    The only real GUI change I've noticed is that the address toolbar has been removed (typing url's etc into the taskbar). But I never used that anyway.

Hooooly shit I thought I was going crazy. I used this all the time (because it also acted as a "Run" box, great for quickly accessing tools and network locations). as soon as I booted into SP3 and saw it was gone, I looked for a way to reenable it, but I couldn't find one.

Why would they disable that? Does anybody know of a way to turn it back on?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ronen wrote: »

Hooooly shit I thought I was going crazy. I used this all the time (because it also acted as a "Run" box, great for quickly accessing tools and network locations). as soon as I booted into SP3 and saw it was gone, I looked for a way to reenable it, but I couldn't find one.

Why would they disable that? Does anybody know of a way to turn it back on?

Apparently you can replace browseui.dll (C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll) with an older version (you might need to use Replacer, quite a handy little script.) to regain the functionality you lost... whether or not this will break something else, I cannot say (I haven't got the update yet). I keep seeing MuvEnum Address Bar pop up on sites where people are demanding a solution to get their address bar back, so that might be worth a shot.

Trentus on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why would they disable that?

From googling it seems like something to do with a U.S government request, but I don't really understand why either.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited May 2008
    Why would they disable that?

From googling it seems like something to do with a U.S government request, but I don't really understand why either.
    A bunch of petty, hypocritical lawsuits from Google IIRC.

squirly on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I need a week before they release it on Windows Update...
    ...partly because our Uni network has a wierd thing that it wont connect to SP3 machines.

After a week my work will be done :D

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    One quick question... is this going to work on my gf's dell, because when I tried to upgrade her to SP2... it crashed her comp.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    One quick question... is this going to work on my gf's dell, because when I tried to upgrade her to SP2... it crashed her comp.

Shit man. Is she on the internet without SP2? There were a significant amount of exploits updated with that service pack. Initially without knowing what kind of blue screen you had, I would cite that as a likely hardware issue.

Viscountalpha on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

What?

Are we talking about this thingy:
    addbar.jpg

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2008
    No, that's still there. By 'taskbar' he means the Start Menu.

squirly on
    edited May 2008
    So... the "Run" thing?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2008
    x1pVS6mhpfmd95XzpG4nHTEnqNRAD8RBB5C4GZIbg1XCN7RUQjrTH0xBKlGsJw6mtfcdF3KmKUKQ6uwYPOii1_HRTtgFMuhTb15QXcrilGoHaruIBKHAper53B5errbfd2jxzL2o1-q7-5Yo2iOYawZHkK2IG7_YMTJ

To the right of the yellow box.

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    Oooooohhhhh.

Never used it... but now that I see it, I kind of want to.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited May 2008
    Looks like SP3 is back on windows update. I'm hesitant to update my laptop after the last glitch with RC3.

Viscountalpha on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've updated 3 machines and 1 virtual machine with no problems, not seen any difference though either.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm waiting for it show up on our WSUS servers... gonna roll it out to a select few users to see if they notice. I'm running it myself, and I don't think anybody will realize anything's changed.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
    edited May 2008
    I can see in on windows update, but why can't I find it for download? Technet download center doesn't seem to have it.

chamberlain on
    edited May 2008
    I can see in on windows update, but why can't I find it for download? Technet download center doesn't seem to have it.

I don't think its on those sites yet. Windows update server has some nice bandwidth. I get 1mb/sec sometimes 2/mb a second from it.

Viscountalpha on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It is in the download centre, it's just they decided to call it Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.

I only managed to find it through a Help and Support article (click on "How to obtain" and it'll give you the above link).

Trentus on
    edited May 2008
    Trentus wrote: »

It is in the download centre, it's just they decided to call it Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.

I only managed to find it through a Help and Support article (click on "How to obtain" and it'll give you the above link).

Thanks.

chamberlain on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It just popped up in automatic updates for me. I think I'll wait a few months before doing anything with it. :D

MKR on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Pretty sure you're gonna have to update to SP3 to get any patches that come after it.

FyreWulff on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For easily mitigated security issues. I'll go ahead with it if something like the cursor bug pops up in the next month, but I'm in no hurry. :P

MKR on