As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Having trouble accessing some websites.

cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am running Windows XP, I have Firefox and IE, both updated to their current versions. I can access most websites, except for a few. I cannot get to Gamefaqs, Gamerankings, mediamarkt.nl and several others. I know these sites aren't down, so it's something that's not working on my end. I know it's probably not my firewall that's causing this since I just now switched from the Windows one to Zonealarm and still no access. I'm pretty much stumped... can anybody help me?

Every+Zig.png
cdneger on

• DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What's a traceroute to one of the sites say?

The update block is a little worrisome as some malware does that to prevent you from downloading security patches, but I can't imagine why sites like Gamefaqs would also be blocked, so maybe it's just coincidence.

DrFrylock on
  • cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    What's a traceroute to one of the sites say?

The update block is a little worrisome as some malware does that to prevent you from downloading security patches, but I can't imagine why sites like Gamefaqs would also be blocked, so maybe it's just coincidence.

I'm a computer noob, i don't know how to do a traceroute. Or rather I do know how to do that but I don't know how to find the IP address of any site I wish to tracert...

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Start Menu -> Run -> type 'cmd'

In the command prompt, type 'tracert gamefaqs.com', it will automatically do DNS (translating url to IP address)

I have a similar issue. My MacBook can't access the HyperPhysics site from my home network. Weird thing though is that other computers on the network can reach the site, AND if I connect to the internet through some other access point (like the campus wireless) I can also reach the site.

So it's not just a router or laptop issue, it's somehow the combination of the two. I'm convinced it's internet gremlins trying to sabotage my learning.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like a good spyware/malware/adware/virus scan is in order =p
    Maybe its somekind of DNS issue?

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
    edited April 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Sounds like a good spyware/malware/adware/virus scan is in order =p
    Maybe its somekind of DNS issue?

I scanned... it found nothing to worry about.

Still no websites though! Any more tips?

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    check your hosts and lmhosts files to see if those have been changed. In most cases they should have no actual entries, just a bunch of comments on how to use them if you want to. You could try typing in 'ipconfig /flushdns' to clear your DNS cache, so it might resolve to different servers. That sometimes works. Though not terribly frequently.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    So I boot up my computer 15 minutes ago and everything works fine. I changed the firewall back to the Windows one since Zonealarm was playing up a bit, and now I can access all those sites again. Case closed, I suppose...

If any mod cares at all, this thread can be closed. :)

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png