As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EDIT: Talk about your LCS (formerly about lowlife stores)(Comic Shop Thread)

13»

• SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    me and SA go to the same shop but have never seen eachother there

Thats because I go when you are in class.

Maybe this weekend I will come later.

Then follow you home like a crazy stalker.

edit: We go to Oxford Comics in Buckhead, Mr. Pink.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I won't be there because I can't buy comics for a while

I kind of have to save up for something.

Sars_Boy on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Apparently the 20% discount that subscribers at my store get extends to bags, boards, and trades, as well as singles
    Also free copy of Previews if you have more than 5 titles on your pull sheet

Me Too! on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm just going to go ahead and assume it's a gender realignment. Into a hot goth chick.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Go to the olive garden, sars.

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Apparently the 20% discount that subscribers at my store get extends to bags, boards, and trades, as well as singles
    Also free copy of Previews if you have more than 5 titles on your pull sheet

Damn it wiggins, get Previews then and tell me when all Captain America and Green Lantern trades come out.

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    Give me a minute and I'll edit it into this post
    Just let me dig out the Marvel previews book for this month

Me Too! on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought so, what with the "Dreamlord" usage.

yeah, i need to re-read that series.

Yeah, it's from "Hope in Hell" in Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes. Stolen from Neil Gaiman's blog sometime last month.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Boutros wrote: »
    The only shop available in Anchorage, AK is a store called Bosco's. They used to have four locations but have recently (over the past few years) shut down to two.

There is plenty of room for more shops to open up, but whenever anyone has tried to in the past, Bosco's undercuts the hell out of them and forces them out. The owner is a dick, the prices on anything BUT comics (they have gaming stuff, too) are outrageously marked up, and the employees are nerdy to the point of being unapproachable - a couple of them, the long-timers, are the epitome of "gaming store geeks". Most of them play games (Warhammer, Magic: The Gathering, etc.) but know fuck-all about comics.

Despite all of this, being that I loves me some comics, I'm excited as all hell whenever I get to go there.

Oh shit, there is one more store I forgot about called A-1, and they have a killer selection of action figures and back issues. All of their back issues are cover price, period, with the exception of maybe a select handful. They just don't want to deal with the hassle of adjusting prices to book value.

Unfortunately, there is only one employee, the owner's wife, who I can tolerate. The rest are backwards, goth retards with zero customer service skills, or are pompous douche-bags (the owner).

Man, I can't stand going to A-1 because that lady with the bad teeth creeps me out. Also, you cannot find anything in that store, their organization system was created by someone with no knowledge of the alphabet. I think you are too hard on Bosco's employees though, some are pretty bad but there are a few who are reasonably normal.

Heh, the lady with the bad teeth is the goth retard I was referring to. I don't know if she really is goth, per se, she just likes to wear ankhs (and other "mystical" jewelry) and black clothes on occasion, so I didn't know how else to refer to her.

And you're right, there are some decent employees at Bosco's, they are just quiet and less outspoken than the one's who bug the shit out of me. They recently hired some new girl who must be a sister or girlfriend of another employee - she is nice, but dumber than a box of hammer handles.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Boutros wrote: »
    The only shop available in Anchorage, AK is a store called Bosco's. They used to have four locations but have recently (over the past few years) shut down to two.

There is plenty of room for more shops to open up, but whenever anyone has tried to in the past, Bosco's undercuts the hell out of them and forces them out. The owner is a dick, the prices on anything BUT comics (they have gaming stuff, too) are outrageously marked up, and the employees are nerdy to the point of being unapproachable - a couple of them, the long-timers, are the epitome of "gaming store geeks". Most of them play games (Warhammer, Magic: The Gathering, etc.) but know fuck-all about comics.

Despite all of this, being that I loves me some comics, I'm excited as all hell whenever I get to go there.

Oh shit, there is one more store I forgot about called A-1, and they have a killer selection of action figures and back issues. All of their back issues are cover price, period, with the exception of maybe a select handful. They just don't want to deal with the hassle of adjusting prices to book value.

Unfortunately, there is only one employee, the owner's wife, who I can tolerate. The rest are backwards, goth retards with zero customer service skills, or are pompous douche-bags (the owner).

Man, I can't stand going to A-1 because that lady with the bad teeth creeps me out. Also, you cannot find anything in that store, their organization system was created by someone with no knowledge of the alphabet. I think you are too hard on Bosco's employees though, some are pretty bad but there are a few who are reasonably normal.

Heh, the lady with the bad teeth is the goth retard I was referring to. I don't know if she really is goth, per se, she just likes to wear ankhs (and other "mystical" jewelry) and black clothes on occasion, so I didn't know how else to refer to her.

And you're right, there are some decent employees at Bosco's, they are just quiet and less outspoken than the one's who bug the shit out of me. They recently hired some new girl who must be a sister or girlfriend of another employee - she is nice, but dumber than a box of hammer handles.

One of the people at Boscos starting chatting me up about a new D&D rule book, and I just smiled and nodded. Apparently he thought I worked there because he told me that in an hour they were going to need my help go get some stuff from the back. I proceeded to run away at this point.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2008
    I know I've mentioned this guy before, but let me tell you about Frank.
    You know Comic Book Guy? Take away the pony tail, and that's Frank. He's the stereotype personified. I wouldn't be surprised if he lived in his mom's basement, in a fort made of longboxes.
    He's the guy who tells you everything about what you're buying, even when you show no interest in hearing it
    The meanest thing I ever did was leave my grandmother stuck listening to him while I went and grabbed my books. I felt so bad.

Also my place gives you a pull sheet and the discount even if you're only getting a couple of books. I started out with just The Tick, USM, and ASM, and they still pulled them and gave me the 20%.
    I think I still have a standing hold on any and all Tick books.

Me Too! on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hahahaha

wiggin why did you take your grandmother to the comic shopohwait

nevermind

Sars_Boy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He needed an adult to go with him into the adult section.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2008
    hahahaha

wiggin why did you take your grandmother to the comic shopohwait

nevermind

This was before I had my license, and I needed a ride.
    And she wanted to see the place for some reason

Me Too! on
  • Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sullijo wrote: »
    I totally miss the two shops I frequented when I lived in St. Louis. Star Clipper, on the Loop, had lots of smaller print stuff and tons of graphic novels. Fantasy Shop in Ferguson was clean and had board games to boot. Both highly recommended.

I liked the Fantasy Shop when I lived in St. Louis. There was also a place called All American (I think) that had all their new comics bagged and boarded at no extra charge, which was nice. I never cared for Star Clipper, though. When they had their old location on Big Bend, I tried stopping in a few times and no matter what time of day it was, they always said they were about to close. A friend of mine had the same experience. We figured they were really just selling pot in there or something.

Now that I'm in Orlando I go to Bad Apple comics, which is alright. I don't know any of the people that work there because there's a different person every time I go in. They give a nice discount on stuff in your pull list, 20%, but they give me the discount on anything else I buy, too. The only complaint is that since they're right across from the university they sell out of some titles pretty quick or maybe they just don't get many in. So sometimes my pull list is incomplete. When that happens I'll go to Collesium Comics, which I like better but its a much longer drive. Sci Fi City is also pretty cool, but they're also a bit further than I care to drive for comics if I don't have to.

Caliban42 on
    edited April 2008
    Caliban42 wrote: »
    The only complaint is that since they're right across from the university they sell out of some titles pretty quick or maybe they just don't get many in. So sometimes my pull list is incomplete. When that happens I'll go to Collesium Comics, which I like better but its a much longer drive. Sci Fi City is also pretty cool, but they're also a bit further than I care to drive for comics if I don't have to.

Not to sound dickish but isn't the point of a pull list so you always get your stuff and the shop knows to order something for you? I mean if my shop had my list and then just didn't order or put it in my folder for me I'd be a little upset.

smokmnky on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe the guy who orders doesn't look at pull lists, and the lists themselves only serve to tell the workers what to set aside when whatever they do get comes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my shop didn't get their comics today, but they did have a massive sale. TPBs for $2, all back issues 25 cents to $1, all action figures and posters $2, t-shirts $5, board games/gaming books 75% off and everything else 40% off.

This was a good day.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    The only complaint is that since they're right across from the university they sell out of some titles pretty quick or maybe they just don't get many in. So sometimes my pull list is incomplete. When that happens I'll go to Collesium Comics, which I like better but its a much longer drive. Sci Fi City is also pretty cool, but they're also a bit further than I care to drive for comics if I don't have to.

Not to sound dickish but isn't the point of a pull list so you always get your stuff and the shop knows to order something for you? I mean if my shop had my list and then just didn't order or put it in my folder for me I'd be a little upset.

It happened to me a few times.
    It turned out that somehow, when I told them to drop New Warriors, they heard "and Moon Knight and Ghost Rider"
    Mistakes happen

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

It happened to me a few times.
    It turned out that somehow, when I told them to drop New Warriors, they heard "and Moon Knight and Ghost Rider"
    Mistakes happen

No wiggins what I think he is saying is he has a list but the shop doesn't actually fulfill it. They know he wants "X"comic but they just don't order enough for him. Not, oh they thought I didn't want that any more.

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    Whoops
    Yeah, that's pretty bullshit.
    Even if you don't order extra for the people with pulls, the pull lists should come first

Me Too! on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Whoops
    Even if you don't order extra for the people with pulls, the pull lists should come first

Yeah, especially since people with pull lists are the repeat customers a store very likely depends on.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Going to Iron Man tonight with some guys from the LCS. Taking the wife. Apparently, she has no problem hanging with a bunch of sweaty nerds we've never met.

Love the wife.

Tach on
  • Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm not happy when the pull list isn't complete and rarely notice it until I get home. Fortunately it doesn't happen often and I look at it as an excuse to go to another shop that I like but wouldn't normally go to. If the other shop was closer, I'd go there all the time but the shop with the pull list problem is like 5 minutes away and the other (good) shop is about 20-25.

Caliban42 on
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoops

Yeah, especially since people with pull lists are the repeat customers a store very likely depends on.

When I worked in a store, I used to even give the sub customers my own copies when they added a title too late for us to extras or something. In retrospect, some of them were such entitlement-assuming douchebags that they didn't appreciate it, but at least a few did. I really hated when people would take something off their pull list and then forget about it and then get mad that we didn't psychically realize that they didn't mean it or something...

grendel824_ on