As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What to do with a faulty portable harddrive

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So my Western Digital MyBook failed a while ago, and I'm pretty sure it's not covered by any sort of Best Buy warranty since I purchased it a year ago. I believe the problem has something to do with the power supply, although I really have no way of knowing for certain.

While I'm not going to die if I lose the data on it, there is a shit-load of stuff on it like old emails and school files that I would really like to have back. Plus I think I'm going to reformat my laptop in a bit and I need a portable drive to back stuff up on.

Are there any resources that I can turn to to try and have it repaired? Does anyone have experience with WD's tech support?

Mai-Kero on

• Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Check the manufacturer warranty first -- some HDDs have warranties up to three years, if memory serves.

As for retrieving the data yourself, try tossing it in the freezer for a few hours (in a waterproof plastic bag). If you have a desktop, I'd recommend pulling it from the housing and installing it in there post-freezing, otherwise, try hooking it up to your laptop at that point.

That's the DIY-method, as far as professional recovery goes, I'm not much of a resource.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WD MyBooks have an external power brick so there is no internal power supply. Have you tried a new adapter?

Alternatively, that black box has a normal 3.5" sata drive in it. You should be able to take it apart and slave the drive to your system internally.

meeker on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    meeker wrote: »
    WD MyBooks have an external power brick so there is no internal power supply. Have you tried a new adapter?

Alternatively, that black box has a normal 3.5" sata drive in it. You should be able to take it apart and slave the drive to your system internally.

Also, if you have a standard case that's a pain to crack open you can pick up a usb to ata converter at a lot of stores for cheap. It's not a bad investment actually, because you can test drives and hot swap without having to open your case.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Or get yourself another external enclosure and just do a transplant. The data should likely be there still.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there any way to easily tell if it's the drive or the external power supply? When I plug it in, the light blinks rapidly at irregular intervals.

Mai-Kero on