As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christmas 2: The Christmassing

124»

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I got some boring yet badly-needed housey stuff (a Mr. Coffee, set of nice kitchen knives, humidifier - yay! cry my leathery hands), expensive teas, a hundred-dollar bill, a pen holder that you put in your car's cup holder, a 100GB external storage unit, Company of Heroes, the LOVE album (which is pure rawk), and assorted gift cards. And my girlfriend's gift is en route - I hold out vague hope that it's a new computer, or at least a new 3D card.

It was a good year and the craziness was kept to a minimum at the family get-togethers this year; the only drama was my dad getting stung by a wasp that had nested in the sweater my stepmom got him. Oh, and my mom leaving suicide notes on my door, but that's every year, so no biggie.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    thegoodgardenerthegoodgardener Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ahhh I got a sexy iriver e10 and Arrested Development season 3 from my boy (so so so awesome) ummm, some cookbooks from my mum. (since I moved out she's been fretting I'm not eating or something.)

Dad gave me a jbhifi voucher thats going to go towards a 360 next year, and he also gave me a gorgeous hardcover postsecret book, (which was cool, because it was a couple of years ago now that i mentioned to him that i liked postsecret).

Ummm my sister hasn't got me anything yet, my brother got me some stuff from the body shop and the same augie march dvd that he got me a year ago for my birthday. But he gets points for trying.

Oh oh oh and my flatmate got me the chaser annual and the chasers 50th anniversary book thingie.

I am spoilt. :mrgreen:

thegoodgardener on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I got a bunch of little stuff and some DVDs and cheese and such, but the bestest presents were a wacom tablet and a small helicopter for my dinosaur.

tynic on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woo Rebel Digital XTi

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    I got a bunch of little stuff and some DVDs and cheese and such, but the bestest presents were a wacom tablet and a small helicopter for my dinosaur.

This requires some elaboration.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My loots:

Lets see I got:

Brass knuckles which have blades on them

Logitech wireless headset

30gb Microsoft Zune

$20 Zune gift card

Some clothes, like sweaters and hoodies

.22 LR Ruger Pistol

Bullets for said pistol

Shooting Ear Muffs

Shooting Glasses

Book on the History of Weapons from guns to swords (Quite awesome)

Two gun locks

$1250 dollars cash

precisionk on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Got a thinkpad t60p, some dvds, and a few books

geckahn on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kind of awesome story:
    This year for Christmas I had a stereo installed into my girlfriend's car.

Saturday the 23rd she has to work at her part time job and I go down and tell her that my car won't start and ask if I can borrow hers to get mine fixed and do last minute shopping. I walk back to the apartment and drive the car down to the place where I'm getting the deck installed. This store is on the same street as where my girlfriend works and they have a HUGE window in their store. I ended up having to drive by the window twice looking for parking and I thought for sure she'd see me.

The guy installing the deck is different from the one that sold it to me and made the appointment. He informs me because my girl has a Saab that it's going to take some time to put the deck in, longer then the 45 minutes that I was quoted. He tells me he'll install it and if there's a problem or when he finishes he'll call me on my cell.

I walk back to the apartment and about a half hour later my girl comes home for lunch. I tell her my car is being worked on and I'm waiting to hear back from the garage while I hope she doesn't go down to our parking lot.

She leaves and two hours later the guy doing the install calls me up and tells me it's done. It turns out he had to run a cable on top of the extra labor. Then he tells me that cable was part of a larger cable that they had lying around and he wasn't going to charge me for that or the extra labor.

At dinner my girlfriend and I decide we can't wait any longer and trade gifts. Looking back this was one of our best ideas ever. We were both so sick of people, presents and Christmas on Monday I think it wouldn't have gone well. I don't tell her about the car, but I hint that "I've got one more gift, but I can't wrap it up. I'm going to make you wait until Monday." After much pleading and coaxing on her part I tell her it's down in the car and she has to come with me to get it. She asks if I can just bring it up because she's comforable. I tell her I can't bring it up and later she tells me that this was where she figured out what I did.

We go down and she checks out the deck and she is all excited and makes all those happy squeeking sounds chicks make when they're content. I'm pretty pleased with myself.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My haul:

A check for a Wii (my parents tried, but none of us saw this much of a backlog coming; so they just told me to buy my own.
    Zelda: Twilight Princess (for Wii, so it'll be a while still.)
    Civilization 4
    Sly Cooper 3

Angel: Season 1
    Simpsons: Season 6 (Only one more to go! As far as I care!)
    Home Movies: Season 2
    Mystery Science Theater Collection 3 (it apparently loses the rights to the movies in February, so I had to get it quickly.)
    The Corpse Bride

About 7, mostly random, CDs. My brother is a big music type, so we have a working arrangement where he gets me a lot of CDs I never heard of but he thinks I'll like for Christmas.

House of Leaves
    Pants.
    A framed Oingo Boingo record, again by my brother and his wife.
    Some reclining gamer's seat/pad thingy.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    tynic wrote:

This requires some elaboration.

So he can fly.

tynic on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't get much though I did receive the weirdest gift ever... a cheap electric Menorah from my Father-n-Law. Hes known me for over 5 years and he should know by now that I'm half-Jewish and that I don't even celebrate the religion at all. I'm kinda offended by it mainly since hes known me for so long.

I also got a shit load of candy and I'm talking about the good dark chocolate kind too. Only problem is that I'm trying to maintain my diet and the candies are calorie bombs!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    An absurd amount of Nightmare Before Christmas Stuff.

Gloves
    Hat
    Car Floor Pads
    Pillow Case
    PJ Bottoms
    Soundtrack (In Collectible tin!)

This is what happens when people don't know what everyone else is getting me.

Other stuff.
    Sonic Rush
    Clubhouse Games (:^:)
    Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
    $50 EBstop Giftcard
    Some nice new Jeans and Shirt
    UW hoody and Shirt
    Tissues...(in a pirate container)
    $75 Cash

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    manaleak34 wrote:
    An absurd amount of Nightmare Before Christmas Stuff.

Why did no one care about this stupid movie until like 5 years ago? It came out in 1993 for christ's sake! And it's not even that good. I hate you and I hate the movies you like.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I got some awesome loot this year not counting my Satan's gift which I've already gone over (USS Navy Submarine Initiation swag including a shot glass, some dark chocolate, The Action Hero's Handbook, and Last Call, all very awesome).

From Cass I got Disgaea, which alone amazed me considering how rare it is, but then she also gave me a Sin City book (A Big Fat Kill, my favourite part of the movie since I hadn't been exposed to the graphic novels) and three CDs, Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd: Echoes, and Foo Fighters: In Your Honour. Much <3!

From my parents I got a new DS Lite Onyx, after my mom basically stole my DS from last year playing Animal Crossing all the time. :P It also got chewed by my sister's puppy, so I was hoping to replace it with a Lite. To go with it, Elite Beat Agents and Final Fantasy III, both of which I love, along with extra styluses, screen protectors, and a nice carrying case for it all. I also got a load of new clothes which I sorely needed, mainly t-shirts and jeans.

From my sister I got Final Fantasy XII and a Mario shirt, and from the rest of my family a pair of black pants and a bunch of money.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What I gave:

Parents - New laptop, wireless router
    Sister - $100 of clothing
    Fiance - Lord of the Rings Super Mega Awesome Trilogy Extended Awesome Edition
    Fiance's dad - New wallet, handkerchiefs (gross)
    Fiance's mom - Clothing, gluten free food

What I got:

- Xbox 360 (Fiance's parents)
    - Rainbow Six: Vegas (sister)
    - Call of Duty 3 (groomsman)
    - Mario Sunshine (My mom, bless her heart, bought this for me because she knows I love my Gamecube. She didn't know, however, that I already owned the game. Fortunately, Gears of War was on sale at Target for $40.00, so I returned Mario and got Gears for $20.00 out of pocket.)
    - AE hoodie
    - Hollister polo
    - Bathrobe (fiance)
    - House slippers
    - Lost Season 1 (fiance's grandma)
    - Lost Season 2 (fiance's parents)
    - Die Hard Trilogy
    - Halo graphic novel
    - Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
    - Barack Obama: The Audacity of Hope
    - Set of 4 Guinness pint glasses (sister)
    - Darwin Awards bathroom reader
    - Golf chipping net (fiance's parents)
    - New shoes (Steve Madden)
    - New Zealand All Blacks stuffed wallaby doll
    - $50 in cash (fiance's grandparents)
    - A wooden, carved thumbs up statuette (Yes, quite literally, a wooden hand making a thumbs up sign)

Stuff the wife and I got together:

- New kitchen knives (4 steak, 1 cleaver)
    - Cheese spreader set
    - Slip cover for the couch
    - Waffle iron

This Christmas was unusually bountiful. The fiance and I were affianced in November, so her parents were very generous with their gift giving, hence the 360.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lots of clothes, awesome awesome clothes.

and my parents finally realized the ..."hey lets take you out shopping the day or two before xmas" instead of buying random clothes I would never wear.

-Pea coat
    -Top coat
    -Parka
    -2 designer shirts
    -4 jeans
    -semi-dress shoes

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I didn't get anything fancy this year, which is fine by me. Anything electronic or whatever that I really want, I can buy myself. However...

-an awesome new coat and hat
    -a new wallet (badly needed)
    -a shotgun (a Remington wingmaster pump. It's the fucking bomb)
    -various books (including "Canadian Bolsheviks", and "The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State" by Engels).

I also bought the first book of Promethea for myself for christmas. It's quickly becoming my favourite graphic novel (beating out V for Vendetta handily).

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893