As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you gonna do with Free Money? (2008 Stimulus Check, Maybe NSF56k)

12346»

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i got a letter a while ago saying i'm getting the $600

if you didn't get the letter I don't think you're getting it

But see, I did get the letter and i still have no idea if I'm getting it.

Javen on
  • Options
    VmikesmittyVmikesmitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If your dad did not claim you as a dependent on his taxes, and you did not state that you were a dependent on yours, then you are not a dependent.

Vmikesmitty on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's not true.

A. The easiest way to find out is to use the Economic Stimulus Payment Calculator. Most people with a 2007 net income tax liability will qualify. This includes most people who get tax refunds. Net income tax liability is the amount shown on Form 1040, Line 57 plus the amount on Line 52. For 1040A filers, it is the amount on Line 35 plus the amount on Line 32. For Form 1040EZ filers, it is the amount on Line 10.
    Families with children under 17 generally will qualify for an additional payment. Some people with no tax liability also will qualify. This includes Social Security and Railroad Retirement beneficiaries, recipients of certain veterans’ payments, low-income workers with earned income and/or benefits of at least $3,000 and individuals who have combined income of at least $3,000 from any combination of these sources.
    Some higher-income taxpayers will not receive a stimulus payment or will receive a reduced payment.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    VmikesmittyVmikesmitty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Javen wrote: »

From what I recall, the letter was sent out to anyone that filed taxes in 06.

Vmikesmitty on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

what? what did the letter say?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

what? what did the letter say?

Told me about the stimulus thing and what "group" I was in and when I could expect my check.

It's supposed to be next week so I guess I'll just wait and if it shows up rad, if not then I'll see about amending.

Javen on
  • Options
    ttvpttvp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If your dad did not claim you as a dependent on his taxes, and you did not state that you were a dependent on yours, then you are not a dependent.

OH FUCK

Now I have to wait until I get home so I can check the tax return file to see if I was marked as a dependant. This is going to be the longest four hours of my life, and probably end in spectacular disappointment.

All the same I appreciate being notified of this.

Fuck if I don't get one I'm just going to go fucking spend $600 bucks and damn the consequences.

ttvp on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    ttvp wrote: »
    I'm just going to go fucking spend $600 bucks and damn the consequences.

Now that's the American attitude! Stimulate the economy!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's a sticky in H/A which will tell you whether or not you're getting a stimulus check, and when.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm spending mine on hotel/plane tickets for pax

Grath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    ttvp wrote: »
    I'm just going to go fucking spend $600 bucks and damn the consequences.

Now that's the American attitude! Stimulate the economy!

That is basically the whole point of them doing this. It's all for naught if people just save it. All the same, I may not spend ALL that much, maybe only 300. Still I have to find out whether I get an actual check or not. I have been wanting a PS3 for a while.

ttvp on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One of the reasons a bunch of economists think this will ultimately fail is that people are so far into debt that anyone with common sense isn't going to spend it on a new TV, but for this to really mean anything that's exactly what they need to do.

Javen on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    It can still work if debt collectors use the received payments to buy TVs.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wouldn't them paying on their debt help the same as if they were to buy a new T.V. though, I mean it is capital that is being processed and gained somewhere right?

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One of the reasons a bunch of economists think this will ultimately fail is that people are so far into debt that anyone with common sense isn't going to spend it on a new TV, but for this to really mean anything that's exactly what they need to do.
    I think they overestimate the American people.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pussum wrote: »
    Wouldn't them paying on their debt help the same as if they were to buy a new T.V. though, I mean it is capital that is being processed and gained somewhere right?

for credit card and insurance companies, yes.

Javen on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    new motherboard, processor, video card and dual 22" widescreen LCD monitors.

it's my computer stimulus package.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I think they overestimate the American people.

My EMT friend says that everytime he has a job in a bad neighborhood and has to go inside an apartment, that the place is always run down and filthy, but there is always a gigantic HDTV and always an xbox360. So maybe.

Javen on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i like not being in debt

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i like not being in debt

That's because you hate America.

Why do you hate freedom, Phonehand?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    end women's suffrage!

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i like not being in debt
    it is so good to not be spending more than we make right doggie?

Hi5 and such.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    theDangertheDanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll be saving the money till August to pay the price of visiting Greece and Turkey during the height of the tourist season. I do not think that this refund was meant to stimulate the Greek economy, but to be fair, it is a lot cooler.

Yes, I am kinda bragging about this, but shit, I have never left America except for small excursions to Canada, which doesn't count as a different country.

theDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    Daric wrote: »
    Hey Thanatos, how do I trick the government into giving me money even though I'm listed as a dependant. I don't depend on shit, this isn't fair.
    get a job hippy.
    Cap beats me to it. :P

The only ways to get around it would be to commit tax fraud or get your parents to file an amended claim. I don't recommend the former, and the latter would probably cost your parents more money than you'd get back in stimulus/tax refund.
    I was about to suggest the way that my folks and I used to do handle the tax refund, but then I realized that it probably constitutes tax fraud.

So never mind.
    Were you going to suggest that they figure out which way more money is saved, by claiming or not claiming as a dependent, and work out some sort of equitable division of the money? Because that's what my parents and I always did. I always assumed it was legal.
    Yes, that is exactly what I was going to suggest.

But you're either a dependent or you aren't, so it's possible that being reported as one when you aren't might not be totally above-board. Particularly if you're being paid to do so.
    I checked with someone who has more expertise in this than I do: totally legal, 100% above-board. As with many things, the IRS allows you to claim/be claimed as a dependent; if it's more advantageous for you not to, you're totally allowed to not claim dependents.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Not that anyone should care but me at this point, but I might as well update what I was talking about earlier. I just got a chance to look at the copy of what was filed for my 2007 tax return (this was all filed before my current fuckawesome job), and I had a total adjusted gross income of 3790 (lawl, still over 3k), my occupation was "Student" at the time, and I was NOT filled out as a dependant. So a very good chance that I will be getting a check now. Fucking awesome.

ttvp on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey Thanatos, how do I trick the government into giving me money even though I'm listed as a dependant. I don't depend on shit, this isn't fair.
    get a job hippy.

The only ways to get around it would be to commit tax fraud or get your parents to file an amended claim. I don't recommend the former, and the latter would probably cost your parents more money than you'd get back in stimulus/tax refund.
    I was about to suggest the way that my folks and I used to do handle the tax refund, but then I realized that it probably constitutes tax fraud.

So never mind.
    Were you going to suggest that they figure out which way more money is saved, by claiming or not claiming as a dependent, and work out some sort of equitable division of the money? Because that's what my parents and I always did. I always assumed it was legal.

But you're either a dependent or you aren't, so it's possible that being reported as one when you aren't might not be totally above-board. Particularly if you're being paid to do so.
    I checked with someone who has more expertise in this than I do: totally legal, 100% above-board. As with many things, the IRS allows you to claim/be claimed as a dependent; if it's more advantageous for you not to, you're totally allowed to not claim dependents.
    Of course you're allowed to not claim dependents. That's not what I was talking about.

What I was talking about was being claimed as a dependent when you aren't. If your folks would, say, save $2,000 by reporting you as a dependent, and they offer you a few extra hundred to let them, even though you live hundreds of miles away and haven't gotten a penny from them all year...that doesn't seem above-board.

But if that sort of thing is OK, then cool. I guess I've never committed tax fraud!

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    get a job hippy.

So never mind.

Of course you're allowed to not claim dependents. That's not what I was talking about.

What I was talking about was being claimed as a dependent when you aren't. If your folks would, say, save $2,000 by reporting you as a dependent, and they offer you a few extra hundred to let them, even though you live hundreds of miles away and haven't gotten a penny from them all year...that doesn't seem above-board.

But if that sort of thing is OK, then cool. I guess I've never committed tax fraud!
    Oh, yeah, that's totally not legal. I thought you were talking about not claiming someone when they are.

Thanatos on