As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    haaaate bulletpoints.

--

I'm having high hopes for Mythos, I think they will blow a lot of games out of the water.

Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mythos is fun, until you run out of content. Alas you can do that in a couple of days; but then, I never did understand how people could level dozens of characters to high levels in D2 either. I finished the game on Normal mode and put it down, there was zero urge to replay the same darn thing on a higher difficulty.

Glal on
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Mythos is fun, until you run out of content. Alas you can do that in a couple of days; but then, I never did understand how people could level dozens of characters to high levels in D2 either. I finished the game on Normal mode and put it down, there was zero urge to replay the same darn thing on a higher difficulty.
    It was fun to continue leveling your character so you could get idiotically powerful and stroll around with awesome equipment (+350% wpn damage helmets etc). Most of this was only for online play, as you could work together with others and everyone could check out your sexy new belt etc. It's a genious concept, the casual player could play through once, send the devil back to hell and feel proud of himself, after that you could continue playing without having to start all over.

Good model, imo.

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    The problem is that I didn't play D2 until recently, which means it ends up stacked against a dozen other recent clones and MMOs. So, I ended up finishing the SP content, then judged the skill placement mechanics, tiny inventory and shit rate of drops to be far from tolerable for an aditional playthrough and put the game down.
    I guess it's kinda like Ultima Online if you didn't play it back in the day.

Glal on
    edited April 2008
    The problem is that I didn't play D2 until recently, which means it ends up stacked against a dozen other recent clones and MMOs. So, I ended up finishing the SP content, then judged the skill placement mechanics, tiny inventory and shit rate of drops to be far from tolerable for an aditional playthrough and put the game down.
    True. I'm also sure that the online play will be crap compared to a few years ago. Mythos will be so much better compared to this (I hope).

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    That said, I really enjoyed Mythos while it lasted. So many things done right, unlike say H:L, which was a big disappointment.

Glal on
    edited April 2008
    IN MEMORIAM

Irth Online

You were taken away without notice
    We hope you are in a better place now

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dis wrote: »
    *Awaits for the day F2P MMO gets better and Pay to Play MMO like WoW gets threaten...

Personally I don't mind paying to play...
    It's just that paying to play monthly kinda makes me commited to that game only and makes me ignore my other console games etc...

How much does it cost to rent a movie or go out to a movie in your area?

How many hours of entertainment outside of P2Play MMOs will you get if you spent $15?

Why do you feel like you are "committed" for any more then a couple of hours a month?

I go days without logging in and am fine with it, I enjoy my P2Play MMO, but I enjoy doing other things as well and I do those other things knowing that my subscription is money well spent.

Seg on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aldo, that Wiki article is wrong about the site being gone.

http://www.irthworlds.com/

That worked for me. The front page news hasn't been updated, and the forums seem to be mostly inactive, there is still some activity at the off-topic forum.

Seg on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I've stopped unsubscribing from CoX and just subscribe to a second MMO if I feel like playing it. Worth it for being able to jump into a group and melt mobs at a moment's notice.

Glal on
    edited April 2008
    Seg wrote: »

That worked for me. The front page news hasn't been updated, and the forums seem to be mostly inactive, there is still some activity at the off-topic forum.
    o_O

The site was down for me, so i checked the wiki where it was confirmed. I'll re-add it with a big warning.

Also: I uninstalled Neo Steam for being a bit too uninteresting and installed Sword of the New World instead. It's a very interesting game with beautiful graphics, I think more people should check it out, but the 3.4GB download+huge patch is a bit scary.

Aldo on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    *Awaits for the day F2P MMO gets better and Pay to Play MMO like WoW gets threaten...

Personally I don't mind paying to play...
    It's just that paying to play monthly kinda makes me commited to that game only and makes me ignore my other console games etc...

How much does it cost to rent a movie or go out to a movie in your area?

How many hours of entertainment outside of P2Play MMOs will you get if you spent $15?

Why do you feel like you are "committed" for any more then a couple of hours a month?

I go days without logging in and am fine with it, I enjoy my P2Play MMO, but I enjoy doing other things as well and I do those other things knowing that my subscription is money well spent.

1) How much does it cost to rent a movie or go out to a movie in your area?

Monthly WoW Fees = 4x Movies in the Cinema

2) Why do you feel like you are "committed" for any more then a couple of hours a month?

I only play one game at a time, since i don't enjoy playing multiple games at the same time and ends up beating none... So if i pay for WoW, i will end up playing it ONLY... So when a console game i wanna play comes out, i will stop playing/paying wow and go focus on it... Due to playing WoW, there is a now a huge list of console games waiting for me to play... And so i quit WoW... Another reason is I hate raiding(too much ego maniacs floating around when it comes to epic) and doing the same instance again and again... So bad that raiding feels like a PART TIME JOB, except that instead of being paid I am paying for it...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

o_O

The site was down for me, so i checked the wiki where it was confirmed. I'll re-add it with a big warning.

Also: I uninstalled Neo Steam for being a bit too uninteresting and installed Sword of the New World instead. It's a very interesting game with beautiful graphics, I think more people should check it out, but the 3.4GB download+huge patch is a bit scary.

Grando Espando
    aka Sword of the New World

Only thing about it is it has nice graphics...
    It's another nasty grind game with semi auto battles like Dungeon Siege 1...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    True. I'm also sure that the online play will be crap compared to a few years ago. Mythos will be so much better compared to this (I hope).

That's sorta similar to me, I only started playing Diablo 2 recently. For some reason, there's something about it that doesn't click with me. I played D1 a little bit before it, and I really digged that, so I thought naturally I would be crazy about D2. I dunno, I can never get past the beginning of act 3

And from what I've played so far, I'm enjoying Mythos a whole lot. Looking foward to playing it with mah buddies when it comes out

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited April 2008
    Act 3 is shit. And that's saying something, given how dreadfully boring Act 2 was. It gets fun after that, though, and the expansion is fun also.

But yeah, some of the game's mechanics are showing their age. I hate the non-modded tiny inventory with the fury of a thousand suns; that was one area Hellgate: London did right. Even Mythos is limping in that area, you need a damn mule just for all the gems you end up collecting. :|

Glal on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That was definitely a huge pet peeve of mine in D2, the inventory drove me insane! At least in Diablo 1 single player, I could port back to town to drop items, where it would add more to the carpet of items/gold engulfing the entire town floor.

another thing that also got to me was character building. With all the options, and the fact that you could put a shit ton of skill points into skills, it really made me paranoid of screwing up my character. I went online and snooped around for straight foward build guides, but doing all that research usually puts me off extremely quick...I just wanna jump in and kill stuff! And with all the pros going "this skill is absolutely worthless", it really adds up on me and makes me feel hesitant to distribute my points..

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, lacking a respec option made me stick to pre-designed builds also. I know people say that levelling in Diablo is oh so fast, but maybe that's true when you're getting powerlevelled by high level friends on boss runs, because to me, solo, it felt slooooow. Probably because it took a handful of levels to max out even a single skill, so the carrot always felt really tiny.

[edit] Also, this is totally not a D2 thread. Whoops.

Glal on
    edited April 2008
    Grando Espando

If you're expecting anything other than an Evergrind from a free Asian MMO you're an idiot. :P

Plus: the combat is kind of fun in that you're waltzing through hoards of enemies. And I guess the whole fine-tuning your family is kind of interesting as well. I haven't really played much, but so far it seems to be one of the better executed free games I've played this year.

Aldo on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The conquer Online stuff needs to be updated.

Hundreds upon hundreds? Try hundreds upon thousands. If not millions of mobs.

The classes are also horribly unbalanced, especially with the new gear and +12s added. Everything that's not a trojan at max level does 1s or no higher than 100 and if you're not 2nd reborn on an older server you aren't killing shit in pvp.And a trojan with decent gear can win any battle that's about 40 levels above or below it.

And sure it might be free to play but with the introduction of CP and the lottery if you don't buy dragon balls your character's worthless.

So avoid it's shit 1/5.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2008
    That's not an update, that's a reinforcement of the fact that I am not the only one who was displeased with the game. :P

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    Grando Espando

If you're expecting anything other than an Evergrind from a free Asian MMO you're an idiot. :P

Plus: the combat is kind of fun in that you're waltzing through hoards of enemies. And I guess the whole fine-tuning your family is kind of interesting as well. I haven't really played much, but so far it seems to be one of the better executed free games I've played this year.

Well, in due time maybe...
    In due time...

The silly ever grind is what stopping me playing those MMO...
    At least you can bot grind in Sword of the New World legally I guess...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    That's not an update, that's a reinforcement of the fact that I am not the only one who was displeased with the game. :P

True, lol. It's not like I'm new to it or anything either, I've had RB chars, 125+ chars and it's still shit rofl.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

True, lol. It's not like I'm new to it or anything either, I've had RB chars, 125+ chars and it's still shit rofl.

Why did you play it for so long?

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    Shit roffles are delicious.

Glal on
    edited April 2008

Friends played it. Some still do.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2008

D:

Friends don't let friends play Conquer Online.

Aldo on
    edited April 2008

D:

Friends don't let friends play Conquer Online.

:lol: true, I've tried to stop em lol.

SkutSkut on
    edited May 2008
    Oh http://aeronauts.gamengame.com/gameguide/feature.do Crimson Skies meets Korean MMO?

Still early in development, but apparently gamengame is opening the gates for everyone to play. This is like the third game in 2 weeks coming from gamengame, what the hell is going on?

--

Also: I am playing Sword of the New World now and I'm actually impressed. It looks beautiful, the squad-based combat is fun to watch and manage and there are actually some quests. I think I'm liking it because the game kinda plays like Diablo 2's Necromancer and Druid.

Aldo on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't know if its been posted yet, but The Sims Online is now defunct, as of April 29th, they're shutting down, and the game will officially end August 1st, 2008.

Also, I dunno if it counts, but starting tomorrow Valve is offering the world an opportunity to play the full version of Team Fortress 2 absolutely free. From May 2nd - May 4th. So, get your frags in while you can.

Goose! on
    edited May 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Don't know if its been posted yet, but The Sims Online is now defunct, as of April 29th, they're shutting down, and the game will officially end August 1st, 2008.

Also, I dunno if it counts, but starting tomorrow Valve is offering the world an opportunity to play the full version of Team Fortress 2 absolutely free. From May 2nd - May 4th. So, get your frags in while you can.
    Thanks for the info on The Sims. I only deal in MMOs, so I won't add TF2 to the OP. I'll check it out, though. Very curious if I still suck monkeyballs at FPS games.

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    This is getting weirder by the day, Gamengame sent me an invite to yet ANOTHER MMO. This one is called Windslayer, a sidescrolling action MMO still early in development.

I am going to see this as further proof that Gamengame is just releasing all games they can get their hands on, assuming that at least one of them will be profitable.

Aldo on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is getting weirder by the day, Gamengame sent me an invite to yet ANOTHER MMO. This one is called Windslayer, a sidescrolling action MMO still early in development.

I am going to see this as further proof that Gamengame is just releasing all games they can get their hands on, assuming that at least one of them will be profitable.
    http://www.gamengame.com/gng/about/about_gng.asp :
    gameNgame.com is a free online game service provided by KIPA (Korea IT Industry Promotion Agency) to promote high-quality Korean online games to global game users.

KIPA is a non-profit organization established in 1998 by the Republic of Korea Ministry of Information and Communication.
    Some more info & links in same page but looks like its a promotion platform for games to get a publisher or get licensed.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    T-this explains so much, actually. Woah!

Aldo on
  • KetsumKetsum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    oooh Aeronauts look cool, it's up already so I'm downloading now gonna check it out...
    fairly small download too.. only 278.2 MB

I've been playing all kinds of f2p MMOs for ages... currently playing DOMO and Perfect world...

they're ok but still not overly my thing... I'm just waiting for AoC to come out... already got my copy pre-ordered... not sure how I'll afford it atm cause I'm bearly getting 4 hours a week atm at work :(

Anyway i plan on being Ketsum in Aeronauts if anyone else joins in.

Ketsum

Ketsum on
    edited May 2008
    ok, Aeronauts, fairly fun. bloody hard to get cash and exp...

tiny bit of lag will destory any hope of doing well... I'm on cable and I sometimes get stutters...

not sure if I'll keep playing as I'm lvl 3 after more than 5 hours of non stop playing and you can't get better planes til lvl 8 and thats if you've got a 5k or more to buy them let alone upgrade them...

best I've done was 200 xp and cash froma single dogfight but thats cause I was up against high lvl players and i kicked their arses...

if I had better connect to the server and the rewards were a bit better I'd keep playing along... atm I'm thinking of giveing this sword of new world thing ago.

Ketsum on
    edited May 2008
    how was the fighting? I kinda yelled that it was like Crimson Skies based on the control scheme, but was it actually fun to play?

Aldo on
    edited May 2008
    it's fairly good, it's very painful though as if the guy your fighting has 1 tiny upgrade more than you it makes it quite hard to win 1v1. the only way I was able to win in fights where I was the underdog was to play mean and dodge and lay low as much as possible until the bigger players had engaged eachother then I'd jumpin and try to kill them both...

as alot of people try to do the same thing it gets very messy. it's quite fast and I guess i did really enjoy it...

as I said if they made it easier to get rewards then it'd be great fun... but 5 hours of grinding to get 2 upgrade on the freebie aircraft and it's just to painful.

I saw the download on sword of the new world is huge so I'm going to give that one a miss.

Ketsum on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, 3.4gb or something and /then/ there's a patch that also took a few hours. :P The game itself is really fun, though. There is a lot to do and most goals are within attainable range. Combat is usually laidback, until you find yourself in a busy place, then you have to use all skills available and slowly try to fall back without being raped by elites/bosses/zerg of hell hounds.

I'm gonna try out that Aeronauts game soon, once I have some more time. :3

Aldo on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I must admit, I played Trickster Online, and was hooked. It, is by far, the best free korean MMORPG out there. It took the formula that Ragnarok Online started, and simply made it better. From what I saw, there is always a quest or two to do at any time, and the rewards for doing them make it worth it! And also, there is a lot of diffrent mobs out there. I mean, a LOT. And from what I saw, at least by playing a CHARM type character, taking one on isn't a matter of level *Well it is a matter of level honestly* but the fact remains that you can. I mean god, I sure as heck spent a solid 30 minutes kiting around a level 130 Joker around with my level 30 raccoon until it died. I mean sure, the grind does get annoying after awhile, but I tuned it out. That's how you can tell a Korean MMO did it right. If you can play a whole night and not even notice you are 20 levels higher the next day. And it does encourage teamwork and variation of classes a LOT. It uses the forums from RO that you get an XP modifier from being in a group with friends. However, said bonus is multiplied further if you have one of every type in your party. Which, is definatly a good thing.

I have a feeling I sound rambly, so I'll just cut to the chase.

TRICKSTER ONLINE

4.5/5

GOOD

Looks nice visually
    The grind is fun
    The storyline is...unique, if nigh retarded
    PVP exists, but is 100% optional
    I cant talk about the other classes, but Charm Types are downright funtimes

BAD

It uses the Cash Shop system from MapleStory, but said cash shop items have stats. As bad as this sounds, the game is tuned around using free items for 99% of the game, so it only becomes a problem when fighting the strongest mobs in the game, or PVPing.

UGLY

Only here for the reference.

zanmatto on
    edited May 2008
    I liked Trickster visually, but it really is just Ragnarok Online 2.0. Instead of your objective being "kill mobs for EXP so you can kill bigger mobs" they've added "and turn items in for rewards". If you liked RO and want an updated version you'll likely have a blast, but if you want something more look elsewhere.

Glal on
This discussion has been closed.