As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Suggest] New mouse/keyboard

squirlysquirly Registered User regular
So, I think it's time to look for a new mouse, after using Microsoft MultiMedia keyboard and Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 for about 5 years now I think it's time to upgrade even though the mouse still more or less works perfectly and is in really good condition, though apparently the keyboard died a month or 2 ago.

I'd prefer to buy a mouse/kb combo but I'm finding it hard to find something decent. I had a look at Myers last night and the only decent one I saw was the Logitech LX710 which was $119AU (Only $59.95 on NewEgg, lucky Americans) but apparently the mouse is slightly slimmer than usual and I'm not a fan of the photo editing short-cuts on the left hand side, for example, there's one to rotate images - do people really need a dedicated button for rating images?!

The most I'd like to spend is probably $120AUD tops which is roughly $100USd but really, the less the better. As far as the actual hardware goes I'd prefer to get a laser mouse too since they seem all the rage and I do heaps of gaming (Still some competitive FPS too) and I've become to like to 2 'thumb' buttons (On the left hand side of the mouse) but I would survive without them, as for the shape, something similar to the current one and it doesn't have to be designed for both left and right hand, only right.

As for keyboards, some extra buttons like volume control I like but otherwise I don't use too many but having a few which I could customise would be god. I don't think I particularly the really slim/soft keyboards, I like it being a bit solid but I type fast so they need to be fairly easy to press.

Oh, and they don't have to be wireless as I've been using corded ones for like 12 years and I really have no idea if wireless is really much better, I've never used wireless ones for any great amount of time and I'm a little worried about the weight of some of them because of batteries/whatever and having to buy batteries/recharge them.

If I had a ton of money to waste on a mouse/kb I'd get something like this because it looks so awesome, or maybe this.

Edit: The Logitech MX3200 looks fairly good and I can get it for $112AUD.

Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
squirly on

• squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soo.. no one here uses a mouse? Could you guys link me to the mind-control devices you're using to play games. :)

squirly on
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_17

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/17547/

Pricey, but outstandingly awesome.

I can only suggest the copperhead, because thats all i've used but i've been told there all top-quality.

And if you look on there site they have keyboards also, haven't used those so i can't say if they are worth the (admittedly) high price, but i'm seriously thinking of getting the Tarantula.

Try get a good mouse-pad if you go with the copperhead also.

Edit: ophh, so much for reading comprehension, you mean $120 for *both* a mouse and keyboard...

Ahh, i guess you could still get a copperhead and a cheap keyboard... but probably not...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I use the Logitech MX Revolution.

I would like to have it's babies it is that good.

It is however well outside your price range.

Blake T on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heroth wrote: »

I can only suggest the copperhead, because thats all i've used but i've been told there all top-quality.

And if you look on there site they have keyboards also, haven't used those so i can't say if they are worth the (admittedly) high price, but i'm seriously thinking of getting the Tarantula.

Edit: ophh, so much for reading comprehension, you mean $120 for *both* a mouse and keyboard...

Ahh, i guess you could still get a copperhead and a cheap keyboard... but probably not...

Which of those Razer mice are ambidextrous? I'm looking at some of them and they have their back/forward buttons on the left side, which means I can't use it with my left hand. Ideally, I'd want the mouse to have a button on either side, like a perfectly symmetrical one.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heroth wrote: »

Which of those Razer mice are ambidextrous? I'm looking at some of them and they have their back/forward buttons on the left side, which means I can't use it with my left hand. Ideally, I'd want the mouse to have a button on either side, like a perfectly symmetrical one.

The copperhead (which is the one i have) is ambidextrous, it has two side buttons on each side that are fully customizable.

all the buttons are fully customizable, actually...

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I actually really like my LX 710. Use it as my main k&m at work.

Mouse works well for a leftie like me, and yeah, I'm not sure about some of those buttons either, but they don't get in the way or anything.

Combo is usual Logitech construction, so very sturdy. Honestly only complaint is the bottom of the keyboard is "rubbery," so dirt tends to stick more than just regular smooth plastic.

MichaelLC on
    edited January 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I actually really like my LX 710. Use it as my main k&m at work.

Mouse works well for a leftie like me, and yeah, I'm not sure about some of those buttons either, but they don't get in the way or anything.

Combo is usual Logitech construction, so very sturdy. Honestly only complaint is the bottom of the keyboard is "rubbery," so dirt tends to stick more than just regular smooth plastic.
    Ah ok, good good. I'm thinking I will get it or that other one I linked to, either way, I think most keyboards within the price range I set will more or less be equal.

Have you used the mouse for gaming? I'm guessing not since it's at work..

squirly on
  • raculotraculot Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    Personally, I currently use a Logitech G5 mouse and a Saitek Eclipse keyboard.

For the G5, I mostly just enjoy it's shape and general feel. Very smooth, good sensor, and pretty durable. The adjustable sensitivity does actually come in handy sometimes, and the 2000dpi thing is just neat. I got it after going through three wireless mice in four years - they just never seemed to last that long due to battery issues in two and connection issues developing in the third.

I got the Eclipse two or so years ago on a lark and really like it. It's got a nice smooth feel, is well made, and the blue backlighting is slick. It doesn't have any multimedia buttons, or a built in USB hub, but it's just generally a nice keyboard. From trying out a friend's Eclipse 2, I didn't like the feel of the buttons as much as the original.

On the whole, I really like both of them. The G5 especially is an awesome mouse. Just smooth and incredibly precise, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

raculot on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Have you used the mouse for gaming? I'm guessing not since it's at work..
    No, just boring office stuff (like reading PA!). Seems smooth, but a little slower than some of my older Logitech mice.

MichaelLC on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love my Logitech MX-500. It has the perfect feel, weight and sensitivity. And the 510/518 versions are supposedly even better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you are a die-hard FPS gamer. I would definately look into the Razer mice (especially the DeathAdder). For keyboards I don't really like to spend much, I usually grab a cheap keyboard. I don't really know if the premium models are worth their price.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited January 2008
    I've never particularly liked Logitech mice as they've always seemed to be a little too 'curvy' for me so I've tended towards Microsoft's mice which are a little more fine cut, or so.

Have any of you used the Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 [Wireless]? It looks like an awkward shape for quick movements in an FPS but it's a MS mouse and a good price.

The G5 is a little pricey over here whereas the Microsft Habu is a little more affordable, any opinions on it? Though, apparently it's horrible for low sensitivity gamers which is me, definitely me (1.1 in most HL/HL2 engine games and equally low in most other FPS I play) but outside of that it doesn't seem too bad.. Also, the DeathAdder is like $9 more than the Habu, which gneGne suggested but I was hoping to go wireless with my next mouse/keyboard purchase. D:

Okay, apparently all laser mice suffer from skipping with low sensitivities and high movement. What the hell?? Or does 'high movement' involve hurling the mouse from 1 side to another and not things usually involved in FPS gaming?

I'm thinking of picking up a SteelPad QCK too, it's only $29 (Like $20 cheaper compared to most other pads) and seems well reviewed.

/* Choice 1 */

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3200 Laser Mouse/keyboard [$112]

/* Choice 2 */

Logitech Cordless LX 710 mouse/keyboard [$82]

/* Choice 3 */

Razer DeathAdder [$79]+ keyboard

/* Choice 4 */

Microsoft Wireless LASER Mouse 6000 [$69] + keyboard

/* Extras */

Logitech Ultra Flat Keyboard Black Wired USB [$26]
    Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard Wired USB [$46]

SteelPad QcK [$29]

I have eliminated some suggestions, like many Logitech mice such as the MX5 as they often price $20 or more above similar products from other companies. I'm leaning towards either choice 1 or choice 3 with the Logitech Ultra Flat keyboard..

squirly on
  • ZyreZyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I recently encountered the same problem. My wireless keyboard stoped functioning, it was a combo with my mouse, mouse works fine, but keyboard stop accepting any input, so I broke down and bought a new combo. I think I bought the Logitech MX5000 for around $179.99

My only complaint so far is that games dont recognise the mouse extra mouse buttons for some reason, but it has highly customizable software so I just assign those buttons to keys I am not likely to press (F9, F10, F11, F12)

Zyre on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i don't mean to necropost a thread, but i'm in the market for a good wireless keyboard/mouse combo ideal for gaming, and this thread turned up in my search.

what are the best wireless keyboard/mouse setups out there now?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Commander_KeenCommander_Keen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly i use the logitech G15 gaming keyboard. Its got like up to 88 customizable macro keys on the side with a mini lcd screen that gives you game info. Although the info that it gives you is never really that important but i bought it for the macro keys. And i use the Logitech G5 gaming mouse. Its got on the fly dpi adjuster, up to 2000dpi which is the main reason i bought it. And the mouse also has a removable clip on the bottom that you can add or subtract weights from to make it more conforming to the hand. Highly recommend the logitech as an experienced user. I would even suggest and i know im saying this and every razor fan will smight me for it but i prefer the logitech series over the razor. Ive had razors before and dont get me wrong there great input devices but they break in about a years time. So dont be cheep go with the logi's

Commander_Keen on
  • Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just picked up a Logitech MX518, and I am completely in love with it. I'm not a die-hard fps player, but it was the most comfortable mouse I could find so I picked it up - the thing is silky smooth when moving and I love the ergonomics. Kinda pricey, but I wouldn't go back.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
    edited April 2008
    looks like i might have to go wired :(

are there really no wireless alternatives?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MX518 for the win. That plus $8 Logitech keyboard = best combination ever.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evoluent 3

Microsoft Ergo 4000

I own, use, and highly recommend these two pruducts. If you happen to have very small hands(as in you're shorter than 5'4"), the mouse might be too big for you.

Carnarvon on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MS re-released the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 a couple years back, which I'm going to get when I can find a decent deal on it. The LMB on my original IME 3.0 is dying.

I love the Intellipoint software. Not only can every button be custom-mapped, every button can be custom-mapped per program. The same button can open function as Ctrl+T (Open New Tab) in Firefox, as Ctrl+A (Select All) in Word, as Delete in Windows Explorer, and as C (crouch) in a FPS without having to open the utility every time you switch programs.

I have a MX Revolution, Razer Copperhead, and Razer Diamondback (damn you, Woot!). None of them were able to unseat the aging IME, and all were assigned to secondary machines/laptops/work.

BubbaT on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm another G5er as of like, today.

God I love the thing. I tried the Razor models, and I just didn't like the feel of them. The sensitivity adjust is awesome, the feel is great, and the weight thing is cool.

Khavall on
    edited April 2008
    what do you all think of the Logitech G7?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love my Logitech G1000 and G15 setup... the G1000 is perfectly moulded for my hand, while the G15 (second version) is a pleasure to type on. Both are likely out of your price range, though.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited May 2008
    Do you really need/want a wireless mouse/keyboard? Because yeah, pickings seem slim.

I ended up buying a Razer DeathAdder + SteelPad QCK+ and I <3 them. Also, I got the Logitech Multimedia keyboard and I like it a fair bit too.

squirly on
  • cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you want the best typing experience possible, you owe it to yourself to pick up one of these. Unicomp owns the rights to the IBM Model M buckling spring technology and sells several different models.

If you're unfamiliar with buckling springs, it's the "clicky clacky" kind of keyboard. The tactile response is just incredible. The 'L' key on my 20+ year old Model M clone started getting stuck the other day, but I plan on taking it apart and washing it soon and it's almost guaranteed to be good as new afterwards.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have great respect for the IBM Model M, but I believe I've found a keyboard that betters it. In almost every way... the only thing is, it's a custom design that was designed for Telecom Eireann (now Eircom) back in the early nineties, and it uses some weird serial connection I've never seen before, so you can't actually get one. Yeah, we still use them at work, with a software system designed for the 386. We're going to be upgrading, but not for a full year. Sigh. Anyway, the tactile clickyness is, I would say, even better than the Model M. I could only sneak one photograph in during a break in training a few weeks back... so sorry for the blurriness. If I were to bring my camera into work and take a proper picture of the keyboard, people would think I was nuts. So here it is, a horribly blurry picture of a keyboard that is actually better than the venerable Model M :)

work.jpg

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten