As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week 04/30/08

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DC Universe
    And now I remember.

Although I would like someone to give me the cliff notes on the Legion stuff at the beginning. I don't read Superman.

Also, uh, I thought DC Universe was supposed to be a sort of "General state of the DC universe" recap sort of thing? Not a bunch of previews. Still nice, anyway.

The Legion bit was a teaser for the upcoming Legion of 3 world story from the looks of it.

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh hey, Miss Martian made an issue of Teen Titans downright tolerable

Robos A Go Go on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm really getting tired of the way Sean McKeever is turning Robin into a total dick in Teen Titans.
    Like when Miss Martian ask if he can help her acquire a SSN and stuff so that she can go to school like a normal teenager. He's like, "That's against the law, I can't do that!!!", knowing that Batman does that shit on a regular basis. Hell, there's probably a vending machine in the Bat Cave that lets you buy all that stuff.

And what makes it worse is that you know someone had to have done that for Conner (being a clone) and Bart (being from the future) at some point in time.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    I'm really getting tired of the way Sean McKeever is turning Robin into a total dick in Teen Titans.
    Like when Miss Martian ask if he can help her acquire a SSN and stuff so that she can go to school like a normal teenager. He's like, "That's against the law, I can't do that!!!", knowing that Batman does that shit on a regular basis. Hell, there's probably a vending machine in the Bat Cave that lets you buy all that stuff.

And what makes it worse is that you know someone had to have done that for Conner (being a clone) and Bart (being from the future) at some point in time.
    Also Chris Kent. And Clark Kent. And J'onn Jonzz. And Starfire. And Super Girl. and Wonder Girl. etc.

Fencingsax on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Tank wrote: »

Also Chris Kent. And Clark Kent. And J'onn Jonzz. And Starfire. And Super Girl. and Wonder Girl. etc.

Yeah, that was freaking stupid...

I want to cling to my love of teen titans... but I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me wanting it to be as good as when it started...

The whole Robin/Wondergirl arc had some potential... then degenerated into stupid... now stupid seems to be the TT motiff... and it makes me a sad panda.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why would Wonder Girl need a fake ssn? She's not from Paradise Island.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My shop didn't get my copy of IRON FIST. D:

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Probably to hide from any fallout from Amazons Attack.

On a related note, depending how this Terror Titans story goes, will anyone bother picking up their mini-series that'll be released later this year?

Owenashi on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Black Summer was holyfuckawesome though

Your comment makes me ill.
    the hell was wrong with it?

It was a big action comic, that's all it's ever been.

Also the order was fucking awesome and it's good to know that they'll probably be making an appearance in the new Iron Man

any time an ennis book is brought up he needs to throw a little tantrum about how much he hates ennis.

*Ellis

Either.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

Probably to hide from any fallout from Amazons Attack.

On a related note, depending how this Terror Titans story goes, will anyone bother picking up their mini-series that'll be released later this year?

I like books starring super-villains, but there's nothing interesting about these characters at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DC Universe
    Barry is Libra...?

Thor: Ages of Thunder. The entire issue was glorious.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    headn00b wrote: »
    DC Universe
    Barry is Libra...?

Wait, how did you arrive to this conclusion?
    Thor: Ages of Thunder. The entire issue was glorious.

Agreed. man, poor Enchantress. Also, I'm happy to see that there will be a follow-up to this in the summer.

Delduwath on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    there's going to be 3 one shots in all.

Fraction is also writing the Thor SI tie-in

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Teen Titans: Year One is such a fun book, but I kind of don't like the modernizing of it. The Titans are like the only characters that have actually grown up, so to see their beginnings in the present day and then their now mid-twenties selves in the same time period is a bit weird

it works for the adult heroes because they never really change
    They forgot to put Speedy in the issue.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2008
    Sweet.

Hey, by the way, Ultimate Human ended with a whimper, didn't it? Started out with this Ellisian tech-talk, had the potential to be about Science!(tm), and then it ends with them all just sorta thrashing around in the dirt, punching things. I really like the first two issues, and had high hopes, but then... Well, this.

Delduwath on
    edited May 2008
    Teen Titans: Year One is such a fun book, but I kind of don't like the modernizing of it. The Titans are like the only characters that have actually grown up, so to see their beginnings in the present day and then their now mid-twenties selves in the same time period is a bit weird

Yeah, what the hell?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    DC Universe
    Barry is Libra...?

Wait, how did you arrive to this conclusion?

It's going around at the Newsarama forums, I guess. One of the goons posted it in BSS.
    Give me a minute to find that post and I'll edit it in
    Warning: It's incredibly stupid
    Barry is coming back, but not as the Flash. He's Libra (not Batman's father Thomas Wayne, as had been rumored earlier).

There are two frames in DC Universe #0 where the text containing Barry's dialogue coordinates with a picture of Libra.

One says "it's my breath" when Libra is speaking and the other says "this is me" while overlapped over a close-up of Libra's blue eyes, which supposedly are the same color as Barry's eyes (I have to admit that I don't know the color of Barry Allen's eyes, and have never been curious about it).

So Barry will be the villain of this series just as the other survivors of the Crisis - Superboy and Alex Luthor - were the villains of the last Crisis.
    Calling bullshit now

Me Too! on
    edited May 2008
    What a twist!

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude. Why are you reading Newsarama's comments?

Crimsondude on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    if that's true
    then wtf was the point of the lightening bolt? Nevermind the freaking red and yellow text box.

Newsarama fails.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yeah, what the hell?

Dude, he's gonna be all over the next issue.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grr, my LCS had sold out of Ages of Thunder.

On the other hand, I totally grabbed the copy of Criminal v1: Coward they had tucked away!

Wildcat on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude. Why are you reading Newsarama's comments?

I don't.
    I do browse Batman's Shameful Secret, though, and one of the goons posted it there

Me Too! on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey, by the way, Ultimate Human ended with a whimper, didn't it? Started out with this Ellisian tech-talk, had the potential to be about Science!(tm), and then it ends with them all just sorta thrashing around in the dirt, punching things. I really like the first two issues, and had high hopes, but then... Well, this.

Tell me about it. Ho hum.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, basically. I liked how Tony was portrayed in Ultimate Human, though, especially the last issue.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2008
    It felt like there wasn't even a conclusion, just a dude jumping away.

Although I liked the comment Tony made about radio equipment and orifices.

Delduwath on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2008

too busy doing drugs

Garlic Bread on
    edited May 2008
    Oh gods, Skrull Mini Marvels in the back of Marvel Adventures: Iron Man

Wildcat on
    edited May 2008
    This statement demands scans.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man Initiative was great.

The last panel really speaks volumes for Cloud 9. Look at her first appearance in the comics, and then her last. A lot of growth, and definitely my favorite hero to come out of the book so far.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

The last panel really speaks volumes for Cloud 9. Look at her first appearance in the comics, and then her last. A lot of growth.
    you're telling me!

Sars_Boy on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hey-o chubby!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2008
    Cloud 9 is probably the best thing to come out of the Initiative, amirite?

wwtMask on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2008
    i hate you people

Garlic Bread on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In all seriousness, I'm just glad for a female hero who wears a decent shirt and pair of pants. It's a nice change of pace.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Personally i think that Cloud 9s gear looks better than the vast majority of stripperific super heroine Lycra swimsuits.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    This statement demands scans.

I'll get that done tonight for you.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The last panel really speaks volumes for Cloud 9. Look at her first appearance in the comics, and then her last. A lot of growth, and definitely my favorite hero to come out of the book so far.

So fucking depressing though. Jesus.

Munch on
  • JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »

So fucking depressing though. Jesus.

What exactly happened?

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What exactly happened?
    The first issue of The Initiative opened with Cloud 9, a pretty average teenage girl with the power of flight, zipping around through the clouds having a good time, and just generally being whimsical. It's made very clear that all she wants to do is fly for fun. She doesn't want to fight supervillains, or rule the world. She just wants to fly. Then War Machine zips down and tells her, "Look you either join the military and fly for us, or we take your powers away forever after we jail you." So she goes to bootcamp, makes some friends, sees a bunch of them killed, is forced to kill terrorists, finally graduates from bootcamp, and is shipped off to a new city, where she's separated from all her friends and teammates in the Initiative. This issue closes with Cloud 9 helping evacuate a burning building.

A young girl, upon climbing atop one of Cloud 9's little flying clouds, geeks out saying how awesome Cloud 9 is, and how cool it is she gets to fly. The girl's mother chides her daughter, telling her not to distract Cloud 9, as "This isn't fun for her. This is her job." The final panel is a tight-lipped, emotionless Cloud 9.

Basically, it showed everything that's wrong with Tony Stark's Initiative, as it stands right now. Anyone unlucky enough to have powers will be ruthlessly ground into whatever the government wants them to be, forced to kill, and relocated across the country at a moment's notice, until they become a hollow shell of their old selves.

Munch on