As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bloodline game - Dwarf Fortress - I have pulled my proverbial finger out

stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Social Entropy++
Well, we have all been playing dwarf fortress, I'm sure you know what it is.
So it is that time, to play the mandatory bloodlines games.

What is a bloodline game you might ask?

Simple.

We all play dwarf fortress together.

Except since we can't all play at once, we have to share it around, like pass the parcel if you will, only instead of taking more paper off the parcel, it is more like you're hollowing it out from the inside, because you're dwarves digging out the insides of a mountain.

So anyway what is going to happen is this.

We are going to select the starting dwarves and equipment together. We can have a good old fashioned argument about it first too, I think that is in the rules somewhere, so in that respect it is kind of like Risk.

We are going to each play the game for one game year. That means that each person will play from the start of one spring, being the first season to take place in the Dwarf Fortress year, to the start of the next spring.

So when you see the announcement "It is spring!", or maybe it says it is spring time, your turn is up, you save, and then redistribute it again.

The save file is passed along every year, until we run out of people who are participating in the game.

I think I will create a filefront account and PM the username/password to everyone when it is their turn to upload their save file, that way we have them all in one place if anyone feels like downloading the current save file and having a look at just how the fortress is going at any moment.

And then I guess something cool happens if we live that long, like maybe we can start throwing the save file around again from the start if people want.

Anyway, once your year is up, you do a write up of your year played, it can be humourous if you so desire, but doesn't need to be it must however convey the significant goings on to the rest of the players, the next player especially. This is so we don't have to extract the knowledge from your brain with a portable knowledge collector (vacuum cleaner). We also might get lungs mixed in with it that way, which just makes it more difficult for everyone.

I'm thinking a limit of 20 people, we are playing fortress mode, so if you haven't played before, best get some practice in and learn, because you are likely to fuck up, we all are, I think, except maybe Synthetic Orange, he seems pretty down with this stuff.

Anyway
tldr; with many pressings of the enter key

We are playing Dwarf Fortress.
There will be 20 players, give or take a handful depending on how many people want to play.
You should know how to play half decently before signing. Stressing half because I don't want to discourage people, but if you just don't know how to grow crops at all for instance, or don't know how to build a workshop, that is pushing it.
We will debate over the starting skills of all our dwarves and the equipment they will take with each other. We can also argue over who gets to play at which spot if you like.
Starting with the person who has been assigned the first position and going through to the person assigned the last position we will each play our year of dwarf fortress, spring to spring.
The save files will be uploaded in a zip to the filefront account. (I'm assuming that macs can use zip files in some capacity I've never used macs very much.)
The next person will download the previously updated files and play their year, everyone is welcome to download it and have a look of course.

You will probably have something like 4 days, maybe a week, I'd like the week but other people might want it to move faster, to play your year.
If you are unable to play your year within that given time of your turn being ready, I'm not going to kick you out, I'll just ask someone else to play your turn, and they will swap position with you, play your go, and you wait until when they would've had their turn.

So, if you want to play, post in Bold Lime Text because I know how much we all love that colour.

I'll begin collating the list, if it isn't in Lime I can't guarantee I'll notice your post and put you in, I won't be a prick and just ignore you if you don't but I might glance past it by accident.

The list - This is in order
1. Artreus - Tick
2. Zerinan - Tick
3. Fallout - Tick
4. Rankenphile - On hold
5. redfenix - Playing?
6. ChicoBlue
7. Synthetic Orange
8. stimtokolos
9. L|ama
10. The One Dark Knight
11. Kazhiim
12. BYToady
13. Ubik
14. Raneados - no excuses
15. HydroSqueegee
16. Janin

I am open to all suggestions for this, post it or pm me

Links to the downloads for every year of play.

This is the link to the folder which contains all saves

Here follows direct links to specific saves.

Here are the direct links to the write ups

Artreus - Year 1
Zerinan - Year 2
Fallout - Year 3(ish) - Part 1
Fallout - Year 3(ish) - Part 2
ChicoBlue - Year 4 - Part 1
ChicoBlue - Year 4 - Part 2
Synthetic Orange - The end times - All through this page

stimtokolos on

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh my god this is a great idea but I am horrible at dwarf fortress so I'll have to pass.

Straightzi on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh my god this is a great idea but I am horrible at dwarf fortress so I'll have to pass.

Can you bring a fortress through at least one year without horribly crippling it?
    Do you also like to write some?

I mean you don't need to be an awesome pro, really. IMHO it's more interesting to the spectator to see a bad player lament his actions.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm all over this.

Synthetic Orange on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm up for this.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YESSSSS

I'm actually pretty good at DF, apparently.
    granted, i haven't been heavily attacked, but as far as fortress building, i'm pretty great.

I even made a macro for buying supplies for use with autohotkey

here

redfenix on
    edited May 2008
    also, you can put in auto annual or season saves in the init file

redfenix on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    the proper citrus says I AM IN

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sign me up.

ChicoBlue on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    shit. add me to the list

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YESSSSSS

However, I have a mac, is this a problem? I think the game files are all text format anyway amirite?

Still, so up for this <3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YESSSSSS

However, I have a mac, is this a problem? I think the game files are all text format anyway amirite?

Still, so up for this <3

The developer released a mac version not too long ago, if I remember right. You should be fine.

Arrath on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sign me up

I just need to know how I can play the save file with my graphics set and then pass it on without mucking up the defaults for the next guy

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ubik wrote: »
    Sign me up

I just need to know how I can play the save file with my graphics set and then pass it on without mucking up the defaults for the next guy

pretty sure we can just use our own config files as long as the only things changed are the res and tileset.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited May 2008
    are we doing cave-ins or no? i have mine set to no right now

maybe i shouldnt?

redfenix on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, I'm in, but fuck that color man.

Fuuuuck eeeet.

EDIT: Wait no, I don't want this.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Are cave-ins even possible in the most recent version?

ChicoBlue on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If we're going to play weather/temperature on then I would like to go near the beginning since my comp can't handle 100+ dwarves

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited May 2008
    You have to try pretty hard to get a cave in

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited May 2008
    yeah, lets go for weather/temp off

redfenix on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Count me in

I hope we start in a relatively hostile area, getting attacked by zombies or something sounds interesting.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The OP should link to some other bloodline games, so more people realize that they are fuckawesome.
    Here's the link to boatmurdered even though everyone and his mom already read it.

jot on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes, it works on mac, I have a 5 year fort already <3

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am not going to play, but I will watch!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would play if I was capable of running the fortress for more than a month.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • fyosheetfyosheet Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    uh why dont you talk normal your posts and pretty lame

fyosheet on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    fyosheet wrote: »
    uh why dont you talk normal your posts and pretty lame

Excellent first post A++ would sneer at again.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm so in.

Be warned, though. I am a bit slow with my actions, and when it gets to my turn, I'll probably destroy everything and rebuild it to make it pretty or something. Or I may do nothing of the sort, but we won't know until it happens.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am in like Flynn

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Edited the OP, everyone who has asked to be in, except PotU, because I don't know if his "wait no I don't want this" is to some colour he put in earlier or if he doesn't want to play, I'll find out from him somehow ... somehow ....

stimtokolos on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm pretty much required to post this in any and all DF threads

For an example of a bloodline game of (the old version of) DF go read The Saga of Boatmurdered, especially the bits by StarkRavingMad (update 11). It's laff-tastic

Ledneh on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd be up for this is the following reasons weren't met

1) I am pretty much constantly drunk until i get a job
    2) I have not yet re-learned Dwarf Fortress

Raneados on
    edited May 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    I'd be up for this is the following reasons weren't met

1) I am pretty much constantly drunk until i get a job
    2) I have not yet re-learned Dwarf Fortress

1 is fine
    2 you can be put at the bottom of the list and have at least a month or two to re learn :o

stimtokolos on
    edited May 2008
    I'd say 1 mans you're perfect for this job.

Synthetic Orange on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am in this like spaghetti on rye bread.

I would like to be within the first couple of years. I have never handled a dwarven economy. I am just now getting the hang of dealing with metals in general. But I have grand ideas for public works.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In as fuck

The writing might be pretty shitty, but we'll see what happens.

L|ama on
    edited May 2008
    You don't have to write a narrative or anything, you can, but you just have to write up what happened.
    I'm thinking I'm going to do one fucking massive recording when I play mine, start to finish, and upload it in a zip.
    There is some player you can get which can fast forward, slow mo and rewind.

Putting you in the list.

stimtokolos on
  • JigglypuffJigglypuff __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    is this a pc game or do i need my console to play ?

Jigglypuff on
    this space below my posts is dedicated to Resident0 , rest in peace , my friend , rest in peace .
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    nigglypuff wrote: »

uhh.. PC.

This game is really complicated, you might want to read up on it and play for a little bit before you do a bloodline game.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited May 2008
    I dont think he's going to be around long enough to worry about that.

Synthetic Orange on
  • JigglypuffJigglypuff __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    nigglypuff wrote: »

uhh.. PC.

This game is really complicated, you might want to read up on it and play for a little bit before you do a bloodline game.

okay i will spectate this round :)
    I dont think he's going to be around long enough to worry about that.

haha what is that supposed to mean ? :P

Jigglypuff on
    this space below my posts is dedicated to Resident0 , rest in peace , my friend , rest in peace .