As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just a Heads Up: Seattle Traffic is Rapetastic!

• MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ITT thread hijacking.

It's so much more funny now, though, isn't it?
    It went from a warning about traffic to packing peanut cake-rape over less than 2 pages.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haha, oh yeah, I completely agree. Just funny to watch a thread go one step at a time away from a legitimate subject and towards rape. Although really, we can never get enough heads up about rape. Especially when packing peanuts and cake are involved.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    HAHA OH WOW
    New thread title

VICTOLY IS MEIN

Does this mean I have board cred now? :winky:

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought you might like that. :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Also, don't forget to call your credit card companies so that they know you're going to be in Seattle and don't freeze your account thinking that you're somebody who's stolen your card.

I've heard stories about such things, but never had anything like that happen personally . . . I drove from upstate NY to Seattle a few years ago, using four different cards along the way, and nobody seemed to mind much. Maybe I just have uninterested lenders o_O

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, in my experience they usually only get paranoid if you have transactions that start showing up in another country.

ASimPerson on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Also, don't forget to call your credit card companies so that they know you're going to be in Seattle and don't freeze your account thinking that you're somebody who's stolen your card.

I've heard stories about such things, but never had anything like that happen personally . . . I drove from upstate NY to Seattle a few years ago, using four different cards along the way, and nobody seemed to mind much. Maybe I just have uninterested lenders o_O

I've noticed this happens more with debit cards than actual credit cards.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I've noticed this happens more with debit cards than actual credit cards.

My bank didn't seem to mind me randomly charging things and making frequent cash withdrawls in Toronto

which kind of worries me now that I think about it

Monoxide on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I've had it happen with my debit card a couple of times just for going an hour or two aways from my home city, although I think they would still do it if I told them I was traveling in advanced, paranoids.

redhalo on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Most of the time, they already know.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited April 2008
    Most of the time, they already know.
    The truth. It is indeed a scary thing.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    They'd probably know if you bought a plane ticket, but when you're driving, there's little warning, just a sudden draining of cash at gas stations slowly leading further and further away from your point of origin. That could be you, or it could be somebody who found/stole your wallet and was getting as far out of town as possible.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2008
    They'd probably know if you bought a plane ticket, but when you're driving, there's little warning, just a sudden draining of cash at gas stations slowly leading further and further away from your point of origin. That could be you, or it could be somebody who found/stole your wallet and was getting as far out of town as possible.
    Haha, yeah, but in my case, wouldn't driving from South Carolina to Seattle seem like just a bit of overkill to escape with some card? I mean, Mexico's a 1/3 of the distance away and way more festive.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Well, they would probably kill the card before you got more than three or four states over

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2008
    I've definitely seen credit companies be aware of an out-of-state trip, even when one didn't buy the tickets on said card.

They are WATCHING YOU.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My bank froze my card cos I spent £500 in 1 go on amazon, I had to go in to sort it out, so I'm definitely telling them I'll be in seattle for a week!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See...my bank doesn't freeze my credit card. They just keep sending me new ones. :P "We noticed suspicious activity, so here, have a new card #"

tr0tsky on
    edited April 2008
    That reminds me, I need to get the bank to send me a new card. Mine refuses to scan at half the places I shop these days.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That reminds me, I need to get the bank to send me a new card. Mine refuses to scan at half the places I shop these days.

Have you tried the old sticky-tape trick?

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters045.htm Read the section on Magic Bag, it might help.

ashridah on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Luckily, my credit card company doesn't cut me off if there's a weird purchase. Instead, it puts a hold on the transaction, calls me to confirm that I requested the transaction, then releases the hold when I confirm the purchase. The only time it's happened was when I was using my credit card to buy stuff online for work, and while they were checking that purchase they went ahead and confirmed another large payment that same week as well. As for my checking account, I just get an email letting me know if any of a number of events happen, like spending x amount or more with a card, spending out of state with a card, or buying x or more online.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Ya know... that is exactly what happened to us the first year... and it sucked.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    is driving up there and then just parking at the hotel for till pax is over not feasable?

delphinus on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's feasible. It will be busy this year, but you should still be able to find a place to park. But in addition to your hotel's parking, know where a couple of other places are, such as the convention center and the city garage under Pacific Place, just in case.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    well i plan on parking at the hotel then walking/cab/bus everywhere else

delphinus on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I've never had any problems with my credit card while flying to different places (even around europe) but when I roadtripped from Seattle to Portland Oregon they froze my account.

Of course it turned out I really was a victim of fraudulent charges that time so I appreciated it.

nearlysober on
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I, for one, welcome our new tranny comrades.
    And I fully plan to engage in Spot the Tranny, even if the person in question is obviously a large, hairy nerd man. It's what we call an "ice breaker."

Also, I think debit cards get suspicious when you make purchases in geographically disperse areas too quickly for you to have traveled (or automatically-suspect purchases like Western Unioning to the Philippines.) I roadtripped up and down the West Coast, and fly regularly to Hawaii-- never had a problem. Worst case scenario, grab a cell phone and call the number on the back of your card.

zyphlar on
    edited May 2008
    zyphlar wrote: »
    ...I fully plan to engage in Spot the Tranny, even if the person in question is obviously a large, hairy nerd man. It's what we call an "ice breaker."

"And you are a...man."

*silence*

"Am I right?"

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not so sure I would want to play that game, for the simple fact that I would be afraid to know the truth about each one. Although it would be funny to see other people pointing at people and guessing, followed by laughter, and then some disturbed look on their faces.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Turning somebody's hard and sincere efforts to emulate a different biological gender into an exercise for your amusement is rather callous. Passing is very important for a trans, and each effort should be judged on its merits, not necessarily its success.

I just can't help but think how immature it is to be giggling in your sleeves about people who already have to endure persecution from their families and society at large.

I know I'm probably oversensitive about the whole thing because I dealt with my own gender dysphoria for a decade, and I ultimately decided not to transition precisely because I didn't think I could handle the persecution and being disowned by my family. So if I can do anything to encourage society in general to grow up and stop selfishly and unnecessarily hurting and persecuting people just trying to be themselves, well, I feel obligated.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2008
    Turning somebody's hard and sincere efforts to emulate a different biological gender into an exercise for your amusement is rather callous. Passing is very important for a trans, and each effort should be judged on its merits, not necessarily its success.

A dear friend of mine is a transsexual, so, indeed, I see where you're coming from here.

I was really only planning on playing the game with fat hairy nerds. >.>

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

A dear friend of mine is a transsexual, so, indeed, I see where you're coming from here.

I was really only planning on playing the game with fat hairy nerds. >.>

oh yeah, going up to a strange-looking "woman" and saying HAY R U TEH CHICKS WIT DICKS? will only lead to pain and tears. large, goopy, tranny tears.

i'm sorry. this is obviously going to be hard for me.

zyphlar on
    edited May 2008
    This thread has taken yet another strange and disturbing turn, I see...

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
    edited May 2008
    This thread has taken yet another strange and disturbing turn, I see...

And we all thought it couldn't get worse then getting raped by packing peanuts...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm kinda disapointed that you think talking about a transexual conference is worse than getting raped with packing peanuts.

Turtle and common sense has made me realize this is too sensitive an issue for the usual geek un P.C. jokes. Sure we can handle it when we make them to each other (at least my friends can handle jokes at each others expense that most non geeks would consider a little too brutally honest), but I don't think we can expect everyone to take it in stride.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited May 2008
    I'm kinda disapointed that you think talking about a transexual conference is worse than getting raped with packing peanuts.

Turtle and common sense has made me realize this is too sensitive an issue for the usual geek un P.C. jokes. Sure we can handle it when we make them to each other (at least my friends can handle jokes at each others expense that most non geeks would consider a little too brutally honest), but I don't think we can expect everyone to take it in stride.

You know, I agree, Transparent, and I apologize for saying that it is "disturbing" if anyone was offended or potentially offended. However, I stand by my own personal assertion that, to me, a dude trying to be a woman is a little bit creepy. I'm not saying they're wrong, or bad people; I'm just saying I find it kinda strange.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    However, I stand by my own personal assertion that, to me, a dude trying to be a woman is a little bit creepy. I'm not saying they're wrong, or bad people; I'm just saying I find it kinda strange.

Aww what's not to love about such a sweet face?
    Frank75.jpg

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    However, I stand by my own personal assertion that, to me, a dude trying to be a woman is a little bit creepy. I'm not saying they're wrong, or bad people; I'm just saying I find it kinda strange.

Aww what's not to love about such a sweet face?
    sexy Curry

Thanks for breaking up the tension in here, it was getting thick.

redhalo on
    edited May 2008
    I, for one, welcome our new Tranny overlords.

Edit: I knew this had been said earlier in the thread.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited May 2008

I am also sorry if it was seen that way. I was just trying to point out that the original purpose of this thread was to talk about Seattle traffic, nothing more.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited May 2008

I am also sorry if it was seen that way. I was just trying to point out that the original purpose of this thread was to talk about Seattle traffic, nothing more.

Oh, the original purpose of this thread was lost a looooong time ago, friend.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
This discussion has been closed.