As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] While we wait for WAR[56k]

191011121315»

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I'm tired of waiting now. Going ahead with the account without a refer a friend code.

Erm... didn't have warlock available... I guess i should have used the catacombs shortcut to start my game before it patched everything... now i'm patching again.. a few more hours till I'll be in game. grr.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sorry to hear that man, just look for someone with teh fancy lads tag, we can invite you np.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• jaggyjaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    jaggy wrote: »
    Just had a thought....
    I wonder what a group of a skald, two healers, and five BDs could do. How about a skald and 7 suppression BDs?

<Mind assplodes>

Scary.

Not much against the big three. If your pets go into the lair they spawn mucho purple add's.

I was thinking in terms of pvp

jaggy on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just had a thought....
    I wonder what a group of a skald, two healers, and five BDs could do. How about a skald and 7 suppression BDs?

<Mind assplodes>

Scary.

Not much against the big three. If your pets go into the lair they spawn mucho purple add's.

I was thinking in terms of pvp

Single handedly assault a keep while Albs pour burning hot oil on your battering ram. Oh yea, I seen it in action. Thank god I wasn't in the ram!

Where the hell have you been jaggy? I made a Heritic on Lam. Oh god its so fucking op! I asked in advice and aparently I'm not supposed to put -any- points in melee. Go all Rejuv/Enhance with some into shield for stuns when shit gets close. These things are so OP. Snare hand fire of death rapes everything on the nub island.

(By OP I mean awesome, they have weaknesses but fucking hand fire snare that increases massively in damage per tick is just awesome)

Oddjob187 on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I recall now times when people have brought in the Glacier Giant into RvR. Man, that shit is fuuuuuuuuuun.

Just for reference, here he is in 2 shots.
    giant-Thaals.jpg

and his older, (and I think better model)

Glacier-Giant-swimming-near-Bled.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    i got a 10 ticon ector but I can't getmy self to lefvel him, and i have a 16 reavr thats i love. Played an anamit and got to lvl 17 from llvl 11 in like 40 mins flat. I loves some ofthe classes in this game.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Long time lurker here. I am downloading DAoC again. I was an old DAoC player back when it started. I was Albion for 2 years as a 2-H paladin then swapped over to Hib and played a mace using blade master. I quit soon after WoW came since ToA kind of killed my love for DAoC. I would love to run with you guys in Mid the one realm I have not finished out on. I am thinking of playing a shadow blade or one of the new classes in catacombs. Hope you guys will have me. I got late night playing hours being in Japan.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited April 2008
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Long time lurker here. I am downloading DAoC again. I was an old DAoC player back when it started. I was Albion for 2 years as a 2-H paladin then swapped over to Hib and played a mace using blade master. I quit soon after WoW came since ToA kind of killed my love for DAoC. I would love to run with you guys in Mid the one realm I have not finished out on. I am thinking of playing a shadow blade or one of the new classes in catacombs. Hope you guys will have me. I got late night playing hours being in Japan.

Welcome... I'm playing late night so I'll see ya around. Running as Malverin, Warlock. Spent 3 years in Okinawa... absolutely love Japan.

Dyvion on
    edited April 2008
    Jaggy log the mother fuck on. I need you to Omni proc my weapon and suit of chain :D

Going to try and get it SC'ed tomorrow. I had to rework the gems I wanted done cause I found out that I can't double up 9% resists for the lovely 18%. So now its 17%, 5%, 2% per item.

Also, Diav needs some of your pot. The good shit.

Oddjob187 on
  • MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not quit sure I understand you Odd, but as far as I know you can't use 2 of the same type of gem on the same piece of armour. Before you get it SC'd anyway....

What you playing these days btw?

Morturus on
    edited April 2008
    you can't use the same gem type per item but each piece can have mulipule difernt resists right ? So just find a way to get your max resists spread out through your armor and then find away o get your stats maxed through weapons :D

Draeven on

edited April 2008
    Morturus wrote: »
    Not quit sure I understand you Odd, but as far as I know you can't use 2 of the same type of gem on the same piece of armour. Before you get it SC'd anyway....

What you playing these days btw?

50 BD, 38 Rune Master that I only log for CK defense, 39 Skald I am trying to template in lvl 50 chain and a hunter I am slowly grinding to Molvik so I can crit shot heretics.

Oddjob187 on
    edited May 2008
    Ding, 1k alchemy :)

You need procs? Oh, I got procs...

jaggy on
    edited May 2008
    Your a fucking animal. How do you sit there for so long click, wait 1 minutes, click.

Also, if that shit I put on your vendor ever sells I might be able to afford to get Troll and Diav's suits SC'ed, then we can talk uber procs for Trolly. :winky:

Also also, I don't think I can bind to your house. Maybe it works for toons on the same account? I got my house bind stone, bound in your home and it said "Your house bind stone is bound to here". I tried to port to it back at the entrance and it didn't work. Just ports me to the entrance

Oddjob187 on
    edited May 2008
    Your a fucking animal. How do you sit there for so long click, wait 1 minutes, click.

Do other things. Watch a movie, watch baseball, do homework, etc... I most definitely did not just look at that bar thousands of times.
    Also, if that shit I put on your vendor ever sells I might be able to afford to get Troll and Diav's suits SC'ed, then we can talk uber procs for Trolly. :winky:

Also also, I don't think I can bind to your house. Maybe it works for toons on the same account? I got my house bind stone, bound in your home and it said "Your house bind stone is bound to here". I tried to port to it back at the entrance and it didn't work. Just ports me to the entrance

Yeah, I think the house recall stones only send you back to your character's personal house - not the one to which you are bound. There's a difference between a personal house and a hearth bind - see the options from the channeler. The only real way to get back to a house bind is a channeler port, if I remember correctly.

jaggy on
    edited May 2008

Do other things. Watch a movie, watch baseball, do homework, etc... I most definitely did not just look at that bar thousands of times.

Yeah, I think the house recall stones only send you back to your character's personal house - not the one to which you are bound. There's a difference between a personal house and a hearth bind - see the options from the channeler. The only real way to get back to a house bind is a channeler port, if I remember correctly.

Yea, I figured that one out. Paaaarrty at Jaggys crib!

Oddjob187 on
  • ShughartShughart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So if I decide to level the Hoff to 50, what is currently the best gear? Dragonsworn crafted? Darkspire? I've looked at a few templates, and I've seen both included. Without TOA I have no idea what items are that good anymore and what kind of TOA bonuses one can even expect in classic.

Shughart on
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sup dudebros.

So a buddy and I are gonna check this out, I was a Minstrel back in the day and loved DaoC RvR beyond belief until my computer was stolen from my dorm room.

He's decided to play a healing class, and I melee, is there a great combo in Midgard for this? Skald actually appeals to me more, but since we're just trial for now, I'm not against just playing whatever melee class will be the sweetest in PVE and hopefully a little RvR (though it seems twinks will humiliate us anyways, which is ok)

Thanks for any words of wisdom, I just watched the crappy intro and it nearly gave me chills, good times. :P

Aeonfell on
    edited May 2008
    Aeonfell wrote: »
    Sup dudebros.

So a buddy and I are gonna check this out, I was a Minstrel back in the day and loved DaoC RvR beyond belief until my computer was stolen from my dorm room.

He's decided to play a healing class, and I melee, is there a great combo in Midgard for this? Skald actually appeals to me more, but since we're just trial for now, I'm not against just playing whatever melee class will be the sweetest in PVE and hopefully a little RvR (though it seems twinks will humiliate us anyways, which is ok)

Thanks for any words of wisdom, I just watched the crappy intro and it nearly gave me chills, good times. :P

Skald and Shammy work good, but as I play a skald I ask myself why I didn't go with Thane. Speed is nice, but lag hammers :winky:.

Hoff, uh well there is no "This is the set that rocks" in DAOC ala WoW. Just the templates. Mix and match different peices to max your resists and stats. Pretty much it. Of course the items for most main stream temps are pricey :winky:. Even getting a Dragonsworn peice if expensive :winky:.

Oddjob187 on
    edited May 2008
    Thank you sah. Thane does sound kind of neat, might give that a try.

Aeonfell on
    edited May 2008

Hoff, uh well there is no "This is the set that rocks" in DAOC ala WoW. Just the templates. Mix and match different peices to max your resists and stats. Pretty much it. Of course the items for most main stream temps are pricey :winky:. Even getting a Dragonsworn peice if expensive :winky:.

Maxing resists and stats is pretty straightforward. I was just curious what was considered the top of the line in terms of TOA type bonuses (mainly buff effectiveness, power pool, range, cast speed, heal effectiveness, stat caps and hp cap). Is there a good site with the dragonsworn bonuses listed somewhere? I have been having trouble finding a good list. I don't think I will ever get an OMGPWNAGE set of armorz, but its nice to know what the ceiling is, and I can keep my eyes open for deals/sets of armor or what not.

Any melee + a shammy is going to be a pretty sweet combo. I've been playing my cave/aug shaman and it has been an absolute blast. DoT + Disease + Uber buffs + heals is a great combo to go with any melee. As far as melee goes skaldy is fun for the speed and the shouts, but I have always been partial to warriors and savages for the mad dps and survivability (warriors). Healers are also amazing, but they cant really solo pve as far as I know, but the are indispensable in rvr.

Shughart on
    edited May 2008
    You're basically asking what is a good template, and honestly, there is so much debate over the best ones and even the ceilings can be capped. I had a friend who had a +1% quality item and began crafting with it. He then created a masterpiece (100% quality) but because he had that +1 item on while making it, his spell craft was 101% and he got to throw on like 3% more in resists. The best things to cover in a template is 101 stats, +26 stat cap, +20 (or higher) resists (all of them), +11 skills bonuses to all your skills, and of course level 50 focus if you're a caster, and well, from there you can throw in other extra goodies but it gets very difficult. I did at one time build a +70% power pool template that pretty much made me never run out of power as a necromancer.

Then there was that time when I had +25% spell duration and my brittle guards that I could summon (before they had a 2.5minute reuse and a 5 minute timer on them or something so you could always have two or three out. I could be able to summon four of them, but then they nerfed it so that you can only summon one at a time.)

Lucky Cynic on
    edited May 2008
    I actually did end up going with Warrior, unfortunately my friend wouldn't stick Shaman so he's Healer now.. still very great to have around, any advice for where his points should go? We're mostly duo-ing, and hitting up the Battlegrounds for exp/fun.

This game is actually much smoother than I assumed it was, It's a little depressing to see how many steps backwards WoW took on a lot of things (mostly PvP), though of course, WoW did improve on a lot.

Anyways, we're plugging around and having fun, level 11 on the first night and I hope we'll actually see some people in the Battlegrounds tonight.

Aeonfell on
  • MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So you're thinking of templating? It can be frustrating but rewarding when you get items to lock into place.

A few links that will help you out:

www.craftsage.com
    Has all of the bonuses listed on crafted armour/shields etc.

www.ethinarg.com
    Searchable item database, doesn't have all of the items, but it is free, and you can download the database to plug into your templating program...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kscraft
    Kort's Spellcrafting Calculator, free, simple

camelot.allakhazam.com
    A better item database, has most if not all the items you'll want to use but you need a membership to use their search function.

www.camelotherald.com
    If you search for 'dragonsworn gear guide' you can find out the bonuses on dragonsworn crafted items (craftsage doesn't have the weapons) and I also use the Herald to check out the stats on the champion weapons (under the Darkness Rising link in the Guides section)

As for the items you want at 50, I suggest you run the quests in the dragon campaign (you'll see people spamming region looking for, or hosting 'minis' groups, I believe the quest is called "The Great Hunt'). You get some really nice armour from that quest. Also the Darkness Rising quests (the ones that appear in your journal @ level 30) get you your champion weapon. Other gear with ToA bonuses includes darkspire stuff and Labyrinth one time drops. Other items I use include one time drops from the Circle of Five quest (last step in Darkness Rising campaign), aurulite gear when I need to be cheap, stuff that drops in the dragon zone (doing minis is a great way to get these items as well) and the occasional catacombs drop. Oh, and I forgot, bounty point items can be purchased at the border keep.

Every caster at 50 will want to have 10% cast speed and it isn't THAT hard to achieve. For caster temps you can get 10% cast speed and 8% damage (although it's really really hard to do that without sacrificing anything). For melee 10% melee damage is possible for some dual wielding and shield classes and you should be able to get 10% melee speed. (bonus to style damage is on champ/slayer weapons only). Duration, buff, healing, debuff, etc. gear is from the same places I listed above mostly (DF too). For buff gear (which buffers really need, and if you want to excel solo it also helps a bit) you can swap in crafted gear (check craftsage) and a few other items (DS, Laby, Co5 drop).

Morturus on
    edited May 2008
    So I've got my skald's AC up to around 940 at the moment, and I probably have enough coin to get it up towards 970. It's more than enough for molvik armor. What is Nuck's SC at currently? Need to start twinking all of my alts soon!

Shughart on
    edited May 2008
    Shughart wrote: »
    So I've got my skald's AC up to around 940 at the moment, and I probably have enough coin to get it up towards 970. It's more than enough for molvik armor. What is Nuck's SC at currently? Need to start twinking all of my alts soon!

You could possibly look into salvaging to farm some nice cash with metalworking as high as you have it. I used to buy DF seals en masse, buy armor/weapons (don't remember which piece was most efficient in hib), salvage, trinket, and profit. I'm sure you can find a page somewhere that breaks each df armor piece down in terms of its proper salvage value...
    ...but you won't have to, because I just did!

http://www.geocities.com/Moonuhk/

Let the cash pharming (and unfortunate continued single button mashing) commence!

jaggy on
    edited May 2008

You could possibly look into salvaging to farm some nice cash with metalworking as high as you have it. I used to buy DF seals en masse, buy armor/weapons (don't remember which piece was most efficient in hib), salvage, trinket, and profit. I'm sure you can find a page somewhere that breaks each df armor piece down in terms of its proper salvage value...
    ...but you won't have to, because I just did!

http://www.geocities.com/Moonuhk/

Let the cash pharming (and unfortunate continued single button mashing) commence!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the /salvage coinage. <makes /macro sealspam /region buying seals 1/3/10>

Shughart on
    edited May 2008
    GUYS! They are thinking of bringing back classic Camelot. Retro gaming made fuck awesome!
    * Brings back the Old Frontiers territory
    * Brings back the old Keeps, Relics, and related systems
    * Does not include the following systems or components:
    o Master levels
    o Champion levels
    o Artifacts
    o Minotaur Relics
    o Champion weapons
    o Mythirians
    * Focuses on the "classic" zone territories that existed prior to the expansion packs
    * Focuses mainly on the class types that existed prior to the expansion packs
    * No buffbots, but rather a universally available buffing option

http://www.camelotherald.com/polls/

Lucky Cynic on
    edited May 2008
    GUYS! They are thinking of bringing back classic Camelot. Retro gaming made fuck awesome!
    * Brings back the Old Frontiers territory
    * Brings back the old Keeps, Relics, and related systems
    * Does not include the following systems or components:
    o Master levels
    o Champion levels
    o Artifacts
    o Minotaur Relics
    o Champion weapons
    o Mythirians
    * Focuses on the "classic" zone territories that existed prior to the expansion packs
    * Focuses mainly on the class types that existed prior to the expansion packs
    * No buffbots, but rather a universally available buffing option

http://www.camelotherald.com/polls/

Hrm... the Old Frontiers weren't bad, but I think I like the new frontiers. Also, does no champion weapons/levels mean no horses? Because the horse is nice.

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    No mounts!

And The old frontiers were legendary. Especially Emain Macha in Hibernia. It had long winding valleys and these milegate walls, sorta like dams in each valley. It was just fucking awesome action, all of it was.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited May 2008
    No mounts!

And The old frontiers were legendary. Especially Emain Macha in Hibernia. It had long winding valleys and these milegate walls, sorta like dams in each valley. It was just fucking awesome action, all of it was.

I do remember some epic battles at mile gates, but I was only around level 20 at the time (highest person was usually around level 30) and this was a LONG time ago... a couple months after release. This game is still rocking though.

If they do return to a classic classic server, they need to update quest rewards and what not in line with the tutorial area. Keep that going all the way up and it will be so much fun.

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    Well, the way it was in days of old, I mean, the oooold loot was badass.

I recall going out to Lyoness in Albion earlier and killing greater telamon, these huge random shadow giants and happened upon a 2 handed scimitar with really weak (compared to ToA/Lab gear) stats and spammed it in guild chat when the guild leader mentioned. "At one point in time, that sword was considered one of the best ones."

I take it they want things to go back to the good old days. Meaning meaningful speccings, slow but powerful casters and tanks that actually do something.

Lucky Cynic on
  • CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That would be really neat if they did that. I bet a good amount of old school players who quit during the ToA/NF era would return to check it out, though I doubt many would stay. DAoC pre ToA was the most fun I ever had in an mmo, but obviously nostalgia is clouding my judgment. Still, I would resubscribe just to check out the old frontiers, etc.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how many PA folk do you guys have actively playing this?

Corsair on
    edited May 2008
    Corsair wrote: »
    That would be really neat if they did that. I bet a good amount of old school players who quit during the ToA/NF era would return to check it out, though I doubt many would stay. DAoC pre ToA was the most fun I ever had in an mmo, but obviously nostalgia is clouding my judgment. Still, I would resubscribe just to check out the old frontiers, etc.

Edit: Out of curiosity, how many PA folk do you guys have actively playing this?

Active you say.. Hm... Not many. Not many at all.

Oddjob187 on
  • CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's too bad. I still enjoy the game and I have tried coming back a few times, but I always just get bored in my 40s and quit. I can't convince anyone I know to give this game a try.

Corsair on
    edited May 2008
    Corsair wrote: »

Active you say.. Hm... Not many. Not many at all.

I've cancelled my trial account and re-activated my original account, so Malverin probably left the guild, but I've recreated him and would like to get back into the guild, and actually play. I've got a few characters scattered over most of the servers (read: way too many) but none on the classic servers (except for Malverin). So it'll be a long climb up for me before I'm viable with you guys. I've seen most of you up in the 30's now.

Dyvion on
    edited May 2008
    Oh god. Old Emain would be so much fun. I have so many fond memories of insane battles going on there. Also going old school would make gear infinitely easier to get. Crafted gear + SC and you are pretty much set, though I'm assuming they get rid of items with TOA bonuses.

Shughart on
    edited May 2008
    /voted

I miss the old Emain wall fights, the old frontiers layouts, etc... I think I'd even try to xp at the spectre camp and beetle log outside of DL just for notstalgia's sake - even if I roll an alb or mid :P

Ahh teh memories.

jaggy on