As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Taxes and Moving Expenses and GRAR!

apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've always done my own taxes and have never had a problem with doing so. This year is the first year I'm claiming moving expenses - I moved in November for a new job - and I am chagrined to find much too late in the tax season that I have no idea how to claim this for one simple twist: the house only sold in March.

I've been told I can claim costs to maintain the property since I moved out - November 15 - but the forms, and more importantly QuickTaxWeb, don't seem to understand this at all. Also in 2007 I received $600 in food reimbursement as a non-taxable benefit and I honestly can't find a damn place to put this if it even goes anywhere as, hey, its non-taxable, right? Any field I try to fill out ends up reducing my deduction which means I'm doing something wrong.

Since I know I'm getting a refund filing late isn't an issue but before I try to find a local accountant (hell if I know whose good around here) does anyone have any idea?

猿も木から落ちる
apotheos on

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sounds complicated enough that I'd hit up H&R block or someone similar to help you out. There are a few places that only charge like $30 or less to file, just ask first

ihmmy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I've always done my own taxes and have never had a problem with doing so. This year is the first year I'm claiming moving expenses - I moved in November for a new job - and I am chagrined to find much too late in the tax season that I have no idea how to claim this for one simple twist: the house only sold in March.

I've been told I can claim costs to maintain the property since I moved out - November 15 - but the forms, and more importantly QuickTaxWeb, don't seem to understand this at all. Also in 2007 I received $600 in food reimbursement as a non-taxable benefit and I honestly can't find a damn place to put this if it even goes anywhere as, hey, its non-taxable, right? Any field I try to fill out ends up reducing my deduction which means I'm doing something wrong.

Since I know I'm getting a refund filing late isn't an issue but before I try to find a local accountant (hell if I know whose good around here) does anyone have any idea?
    If it's a reimbursement, it's not income, because you get to deduct job-related expenses from your income. Then, the reimbursement is added back in. So, as long as you're not trying to claim the $600 as a deduction, you don't need to claim the reimbursement as income (at least, this is how it would work in the States).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Dude, you're obviously smart enough to file your taxes manually if you're trying to do things that the tax software can't handle. So look up the forms you need, print that shit out, and get cracking. Thanatos found the one you need for moving expenses already, even. GEEZ.

If you're not gonna do that, I'd say shell out for someone to do it properly if you figure it's worth it. If you don't think it will be, just don't bother claiming the stuff you can't figure out how to claim.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey now. That PDF was totally unavailable for the last little while as their webserver was pegged. It adds the necessary caveat, left out of QuickTax, that makes it work.

But I've discovered now that what I want to do is wait until next year to claim all of it. Thanks though.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる