As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Little Miss Sunshine + Dark Comedy

• Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, I should also mention that I decided this time last year that Im over Coming of Age Indie Dramas after seeing Thumbsucker. That was a good movie, but I just cant take the ANNNNGGST of suburban family hell anymore.

aquabat on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thumbsucker is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

It sucked so much.

God that movie was awful.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Crosspost

673-f.jpg

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Crosspost

673-f.jpg
    That is one of the ugliest films I have ever seen. Todd Solondz is a master of shitting on humanity.

Gim on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I loved this movie and I hated the Royal Tennenbaums, which I tried really hard to like. Watching it made me feel like everyone I had ever loved had just died. Little Miss Sunshine was funny the whole way through and resulted in actual laughter for me on several occasions.

Snork on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bad Santa is genius dark comedy. You kept waitng for it to get sappy instead it just got worse and worse

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The hate! :( I only saw a review for Little Miss Sunshine and it wasn't exactly pinned as being a comedy (certainly not a Dark one), but rather a slice of life movie that had various hilarious moments. Steve Carell as a homosexual running? Yes. I found the characters and acting really god damn excellent.

Best part was probably the fact that I came out of the cinema really happy. It got me in all the right spots. Dare I use the phrase "heart-warming"?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Steve Carell as a homosexual running? Yes.
    ...what?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...what?
    They, like practically every movie with gay guys in it..had him running like a limp-wristed douche.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't see how that movie wasn't funny. I enjoyed it. I always hesitate to say "Best ___ of the Year", because I am horrible at making absolute decisions like that, but still, it was very funny.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I enjoyed LMS, even if it was predictable "indie" formulaic feel-good movie.

How could anyone not enjoy Thumbsucker? Come on, what other movie features Keanu's most appropriate role since Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How could anyone not enjoy Thumbsucker? Come on, what other movie features Keanu's most appropriate role since Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Thumbsucker was one of the most predictable, formulaic pieces of shit I've ever had to suffer.

You are stupid for saying such a thing.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006

A Scanner Darkly?

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Though not really a comedy per se, what do you guys think of Lost in Translation? See, while some people think these movies are dark (LiT, Squid and the Whale, Little Miss Sunshine) I think they are incredible true to life. Now is this a reflection of me, or how Hollywood has desensitized us to real life and instilled in us the insatiable desire for a completely happy ending. (Though, of course, this instinct seems to be consistent throughout entertainment's history as well. Not that this justifies it in any manner)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

A Scanner Darkly!
    Limed for truth, and fixed for great justice.

Azio on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Though not really a comedy per se, what do you guys think of Lost in Translation? See, while some people think these movies are dark (LiT, Squid and the Whale, Little Miss Sunshine) I think they are incredible true to life. Now is this a reflection of me, or how Hollywood has desensitized us to real life and instilled in us the insatiable desire for a completely happy ending. (Though, of course, this instinct seems to be consistent throughout entertainment's history as well. Not that this justifies it in any manner)

the ending didn't bug me, I just really didn't feel anything for the characters. It seemed like this relationship was just really not believable.

Granted, I get the idea that because they are away from home, they are just really looking for someone, anyone, to connect with. It just didn't work for me... however because of people's defense of it, I respect it and just understand it wasn't made for me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

A Scanner Darkly?

I also think that him in Constantine worked well.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do people find it hard to understand that something can be funny, even if you aren't laughing? It's called dry humor.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...what?

He did it particularly well. Being a homo, I'm qualified to make this judgement.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Loved LMS, never really got into Tenenbaums, but I see how some people can love it; Lost in Translation on the other hand is probably my second all time favourite movie: The characters were extremely... I dunno, raw, real, everything; after seeing that movie I was on a week-long high. I'm a huge Bill Murray fan, and a moderate Coppola one.

LMS was just a real feel-good, funny drama that got me connected to the characters.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Azio wrote:

A Scanner Darkly!
    Limed for truth, and fixed for great justice.
    Lessthanthree.

His role in Constantine was good, if only he didn't have that kid from Holes as a sidekick. Fucking annoying sidekick.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    I saw Little Miss Sunshine last night and loved it. It made you have feelings for every character, be they good or bad feelings.

I was told, "Steve Carell plays a gay guy in it", and I was surprised at how low-key they played him (in a good way). It wasn't all, "What do you think of that dude, you fag?" or anything, it was just, "Oh, you like guys." (for the most part).

I've never seen The Royal Tenenbaums, and I won't because I know I'll hate it. I can't stand the Wilson brothers or Ben Stiller, especially together. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I just know I won't be able to stand it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    pardon me, you seem to have gotten your objective in my subjective
    He also seems to have forgotten than it is spelled Lorne Michaels.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I saw Little Miss Sunshine last night and loved it. It made you have feelings for every character, be they good or bad feelings.

I was told, "Steve Carell plays a gay guy in it", and I was surprised at how low-key they played him (in a good way). It wasn't all, "What do you think of that dude, you fag?" or anything, it was just, "Oh, you like guys." (for the most part).

I've never seen The Royal Tenenbaums, and I won't because I know I'll hate it. I can't stand the Wilson brothers or Ben Stiller, especially together. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I just know I won't be able to stand it.
    Tenenbaums is an excellent film. It's a shame that you don't like the Wilsons, but the film is very much driven by Gene Hackman and Paltrow. Definitely worth the rent/download if you're hesitant about the Wilsons. There's no way I wouldn't recommend it :P

also, I agree with what you said about Carell. I just watched this film last night with family and friends, and I was very content with it.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    It's mostly Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson

the two of them just piss me off so much

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

Then you should be fine, as Luke Wilson plays a larger role of the two Wilsons, and, well, you're pretty much supposed to be annoyed by Stiller's character so it'll work out.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That little girl is just so fat.

She is not that fat at all.
    No, she's not, but you have to admit she's not really beauty queen material.

That was kind of the point.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    the move was pretty average. formulaic indie family drama. but broads seem to dig it. it was good for a date movie. got the desired result anyway.

matt on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    matt wrote:
    the move was pretty average. formulaic indie family drama. but broads seem to dig it. it was good for a date movie. got the desired result anyway.

Who the hell are you, Frank Sinatra?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

I found Night at the Museum to be Not Horrible. There were parts I laughed at, because I completely ignored the plot. Also, Robin Williams was also not quite Horrible.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Variable wrote:
    Poldy wrote:

the ending didn't bug me, I just really didn't feel anything for the characters. It seemed like this relationship was just really not believable.

Granted, I get the idea that because they are away from home, they are just really looking for someone, anyone, to connect with. It just didn't work for me... however because of people's defense of it, I respect it and just understand it wasn't made for me.

Wow, me too Var. That sums up exactly how I felt about LiT too.

aquabat on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I thought the funniest moments in LMS were the moments of empathy between the uncle and the son, when they are looking at each other like, "Jesus fuck, how dare a family exist where we are the normal ones"

I really liked the moment when

[realspoiler:ab593b7d0d]the son found out he was colorblind. Seriously. At least one other person has to be sympathetic to the notion of "this is a thing that can be my ticket out of this shitty place I was born in and these . . . fucking people...I cannot possibly actually be related too...oh what's that? My ticket out? OH IT'S FUCKED TOO? THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH UNIVERSE! THAT'S JUST FUCKING SUPER SWEET YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.[/realspoiler:ab593b7d0d]

Also, I think the direction the new american movie is headed is a place with no genres, and it's not so much the audience as the marketing people that can't figure out how to deal with that. Some of the movies we're talking about here, explaining them to people in 2 minutes to get them to go see it without shoehorning them into a genre they don't 100% fit is a bit difficult.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I saw LMS a few weeks ago, and this was after my sister had been talking about it all the time, saying it was the funniest movie she had seen in a long time. And when I was watching it, I was surprised that I wasn't laughing all the time. I enjoyed the movie, but I didn't laugh my ass off like in other movies. It was kind of weird, because I always associate funniness with laughing.

One thing I really liked about Little Miss Sunshine, though, was how all the characters got the spotlight, but it never felt like anyone was the center of attention for too long, or that it was forced. It would have been so easy for the movie to be just about Olive, or Dwayne. But everyone got their fair share, and it made it all the more enjoyable. With, say, Will Ferrell movies, it's mostly just Will Ferrell. You know what you're going to get, and you know you're going to laugh, which is fine. But it's great to see a movie where lots of different characters make you laugh. Having said that, the Grandpa was the funniest.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really enjoyed LMS, definitely something I'd watch again on TV or buy in a DVD sale. It's not the sort of comedy I can remember specific bits of, I don't think I've ever said to a friend "hey, remember that bit where..." and had a laugh about it but we all really enjoyed it anyway. I wouldn't call it the best comedy of the year or anything but I didn't have any complaints about it whatsoever, good film.

Oh, wait, the bit at the end with them all dancing, that felt a bit... forced, to me. Like they needed to create this moment for the ending. I can live with that though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    One casual observation that I've made is that these 'type' of movies generally have a very high 'rewatch ability'. I just watched Lost in Translation for what must be the.... 10th time? And It has never, ever failed to not leave me on a high, and with a few tears in my eyes - and I'm not an easily tear'd up guy.

But man, that movie is a beautiful piece of art, Lost in Translation is.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keith wrote:

Start to finish LMS was fantastic.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The similarities to Vacation were obvious from the very beginning. Going into the DVD knowing absolutely nothing (except that Carrell was in it), wife and I both started calling it "Vacation" immediately. While I myself am a big NPR fan, I agree with the quote. It was falsetto-high-brow Vacation. That doesn't make it bad, but one ought to be able to recognize and acknowledge it as such, and have some humility about it.

The fat-suit was also obvious by the end of the movie. That girl's cute tiny face could not possibly have been on that spare tire body, and, more importantly, children don't have love handles. Not even fat children.

The good thing about the extra endings on the DVD is that one of them was actually the original preferred ending as written, but they screwed up timing and budget and couldn't do it correctly, and so the scene sucks and was removed.

Yar on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It was good, but I was a little underwhelmed.

I was expecting much more comedy in the form of Steve Carell. He had some good scenes and the other characters provided some good comedy but overall I felt this movie was just not as funny as people had told me.

I liked the Squid And The Whale perhaps infinitely more.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't really get this movie... they go a long time without making any real jokes in it.

I give it a 6/10.

Saved on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    Keith wrote:

Start to finish LMS was fantastic.

Lies.

The mother's character was never developed.

Shinto on