As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

3D printing, Mostly Toy making Magic!

• KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Iruka, I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but that oblong thing under his leg clearly should be a ball. It's obvious that you haven't considered this, or else you would have done it.

(I like the green and black design the best, though that wing-looking detail could be fiddled with a bit.)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I may complex up that wing, I want to get some more circuit stuff on him anyway. Also I dont like the black mail on my dark secrerts foo. I will probably refine them.

ALSO, SCREW YOU GUYS.

Iruka on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Now you know what Darren must feel like!

bombardier on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Love this. Know tons of people who would buy this. Armauguguhrhfghgh. What class is this? I want to freaking take it. God damn i'd have so much fun painting this.

Kochikens on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    That is so far out!

I'm so completely unfamiliar with this process, can you explain why the photos look moist and delicious? What is that made out of?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It looks like it's made of marzipan.

Mmmm. Delicious toy.

Glal on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I lurk here, and rarely ever comment, but this is awesome.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited April 2008
    mars, The 3D printer makes really fine layers of adhesive, translating a 3D file in thin slices, and then laying dust of some shit on the adhesive, Repeating untill you have a solid object. we have the corn starch kind. Once you get the soft squishy cornstarch model, you coat the thing in superglue so that it soaks it up and hardens, so what you are seeing is superglue soaked cornstarch. It looks slightly less like its cut from a pear now that the glue is dry.

Iruka on
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How many of these are you able to make? It'd be cool to see more than one paint scheme, or how they look at various stages (like now that it looks a little more un-pear-y)

multimoog on
    edited April 2008
    It depends on the amount of change I can spend, I will have more than one for sure, I'm aiming for 6, actually. 3 the same size and 3 more slightly bigger. I'll take a pic of less pear-ish Foo when I get home.

Iruka on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Digging the color mock-ups. Should make for a cool presentation with them all together.

DMAC on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the potential colorings are really sweet, and pretty varied. love how each of them has a distinct feel and makes the same object into something completely different. do you have to pay for each individual print out or are was the cost included in tuition/class fees? I know some people who have to pay for each individual one, that stuff builds up :(

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited April 2008
    Gotta pay for them myself. Its all the final for my intro to 3D animation class, and Im more of a 2D animator, So I took on 3d printing instead. They arent as expensive as one may think, I did make him hollow, after all. We do have a Virtual to Real class that I want to take next year that is all 3D printing.

Iruka on
    edited April 2008
    How much does an individual model cost? How sturdy are they once you get them coated? I can't imagine cornstarch holds up well on its own, but are these things going to be able to hang around for a while? I'm wondering if you could actually eBay or Etsy them for a profit.

multimoog on
    edited April 2008
    Little guy is 2.50, bigger ones would be about oooh... 10-16 bucks. When you coat it with superglue it comes out like a kinda hard plaster, its pretty stable. I could potentially sell them for profit, but they take a long time to print and coat and paint so I'd to inflate quite a bit from that base price.

Iruka on
    edited April 2008
    Considering how unique they are I could see going up to about 20-25 bucks. Individually handcrafted toys like that fetch mighty fine monies if they're any good.
    If you used a sphere instead of a football :mrgreen:

multimoog on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I could paint one of those radlings.

NeoRedXIII on
    edited April 2008
    You wanna design one, red? I can give you the photoshop file. I'd love for someone else to make a mock up.

ALSO, DAMNIT MULTI, NO. SCREW YOU. But yeah, 25 would be a reasonable price.

Iruka on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PM or what?

NeoRedXIII on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Iruka, why don't you post the line art and let ppl paint it on this thread?

MagicToaster on
    edited April 2008
    Good idea MT.

fooTemplatesmall.jpg

Big files:
    The blank template as a jpeg:
    With gray 3d Overlay:
    http://iruka.iseenothing.com/toy/Workfiles/fooTemplate3dgray.jpg

Clean lines no overlay:
    http://iruka.iseenothing.com/toy/Workfiles/footemplateblank.jpg

***PHOTOSHOP FILE***
    Lines, base colors, and grays on separate layers for easy filling
    http://iruka.iseenothing.com/toy/Workfiles/fooTemplateblank.psd

Iruka on
    edited May 2008
    hey jerks, remember this?
    dogstogether2.jpg

I'll have some pictures of actual painted Foos for you soon. I haven't gone through and refined each one, but whatever, I've got tons of shit to do.

Iruka on
    edited May 2008
    I really like the green/armored one in the center. But...
    it's too bad about that football.

multimoog on
    edited May 2008
    I'LL KILL YOU, MOOG

Iruka on
    edited May 2008
    is the red and grey cyclops delivering a mail ball?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    holy crap, these are looking wonderful!
    i really like the tiger and the wooden one
    third last is winning me over too

beavotron on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    my personal favorite is the meat skeleton dog. These are awesome, can't wait to see the painted ones

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited May 2008
    Kaz: Black mail ball. I was going to change my dark secrets foo's ball, but I moved on.

Heres a crappy pic of two of them. The black one I've just started painting, the gold one is about done. The Tech one is about as tall as a soda can, for size reference.
    DSC04442.JPG

Iruka on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know you've probably mentioned this already but how long does a 'print' take for something of that size?

Mustang on
    edited May 2008
    I want the black and green one.

If you're gonna sell it, PM me. I'm calling dibs right now.

DIBS.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Way fucking cool.

I've been really getting into the designer toy scene this past year, and I would love to put something of this caliber on my shelf. Your work really does stand up to anything else I've seen. The scope of your paintjobs thumbnails alone is astonishing.

The armor one, the see thru one, and the wooden one are far out.

earthwormadam on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i'll also buy one off ya iruka

beavotron on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    One crit: the second one in the bottom row looks too 2-D optimized, so I wouldn't recomend it as-is.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited May 2008
    I want to say I understand your crit... but I don't. Are you saying I should 3D it up in the mock up, or that I shouldnt paint it on an actual dog (Which I already have as its in the photo)?

and holy shit guys. If I had known people would actually want to buy one off me, I would have printed more than three. I'm Obligated to give one of these guys to my sister and I will probably be keeping one for myself, so I'll let you know if I decide to sell one.

If getting a run of these guys casted in vinyl wasnt so fucking expensive Id do that.

Iruka on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy snaps I would so buy the one next to the Foo symbol on the bottom row. These are amazing.

Kochikens on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    I want to say I understand your crit... but I don't. Are you saying I should 3D it up in the mock up, or that I shouldnt paint it on an actual dog (Which I already have as its in the photo)?

and holy shit guys. If I had known people would actually want to buy one off me, I would have printed more than three. I'm Obligated to give one of these guys to my sister and I will probably be keeping one for myself, so I'll let you know if I decide to sell one.

If getting a run of these guys casted in vinyl wasnt so fucking expensive Id do that.

Sorry, I mistook the painted one for the first on the bottom.
    I was saying that while it looks quite good as shown, I'm not sure it'll look that good at 35*.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited May 2008
    Iruka wrote: »

I hope your sister understands the law of dibs when she chooses which one she wants

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How much would casting runs of these cost?

Synthetic Orange on
    edited May 2008
    Casting an actual run of toys, from my limited research, would cost alot. Like a few thousand dollars. I may, Out of pure curiosity, try to get a quote from a company. But yeah.. these toy places get there stuff from china, and the minimum batches are 2-3 thousand units.

I would have to generate alot of intrest to make that worth it.

Iruka on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is definitely some cool stuff. 3D art always impresses me.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif