As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend Me Good Coffee

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So with Mother's Day coming up I'm looking to get my mum some coffee beans. Now she's right into her coffee, while I don't drink it so I'm looking at some suggestions for your "absolute if you could get any kind of bean you would choose this one" kind of coffee.

I'm just as happy to bring them in via import if they're not available inside of Australia, so if theres a website you use often or whatnot feel free to link it.

Thanks in advance!

Kelor on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Find a local coffee roaster if you can. Fresh roasted anything is amazing.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finding something fresh and local is definitely your best bet.

A good idea would be to go to a coffee place where people are pretty serious about their coffee and ask for recommendations. You'll need to find out if your mom likes mild/medium/dark roast coffee first though.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When japan went to Australia a few years ago he came back with this really nice coffee (and tea) that's grown out in the bush or something. Can't remember the name, but if you pm him he'll probably be able to look it up for you if you're interested.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you can't find anything local, I've been using coffeefool.com and they have very good tasting coffee, as well as good descriptions of what the different blends and non-blends taste like.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    stumptown coffee located out of Portland Oregon has the best coffee. you can just google them.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its ridiculously overpriced, but as a one-time novelty gift, Kopi Luwak is pretty cool. The one time I ordered it, it actually came from australia, so it may be available cheaper for you than it was for me. Its not something you're going to buy a pound of, but its neat for the coffee enthusiast to say they've had it. I tasted it, and it was pretty darn good... but at $50 for a 1/2 pound it better not be swill.

Repeat - it is seriously overpriced for what it is. This is a novelty gift idea only.

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't ask your Mom what kind of coffee she likes, get a medium-mild roast. 75% of people, if asked, would say they prefer a dark roast, but in a blind taste-test preferred the mild.

(I don't remember the source, but it was in an article on how a guy was hired to find the "perfect" spaghetti sauce and ended up finding out that the "perfect" spaghetti sauce differed greatly from person to person. It was this study that lead to the huge diversity of spaghetti sauces we have now. Conversely, some other products were found to have just one kind that served 90% of the people very well. Coffee and mustard are examples of this. Side-track, I know, but incredibly fascinating, I found.)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    NoahtheredNoahthered Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, more or less to reiterate Imperfect, most people have no idea what they like. Dark roasts are A LOT darker than most people realize. Start light and go progressively darker. I recommend sticking with Colombian grown beans that are locally roasted and not pre-ground. Coffee begins to lose it's freshness the moment it is ground, regardless of storage method.

Flavored coffees are dumb. Just don't go near them. It's like giving someone a bottle of schnapps as a gift.

If you can't figure out what to get her, find out if she has a french press. It's a must have for anyone serious about coffee.

Noahthered on
    "There is not a bus big enough to run over all the people that I hate"
    -Sebudai
    202971.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bluebottle Coffee Company - Best. Coffee. Ever.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    are you in melbourne there is an excellent place to buy coffee beans in the queen vic market

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions, I've been digging around for some of them.
    are you in melbourne there is an excellent place to buy coffee beans in the queen vic market

I am. What is the stall called?

Kelor on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mc iver's it's in dairy hall it's like right near swords liquor if you know where that is

here is a link

I can't recommend specific coffees as I have only been there once but I'm sure they will help you

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BobCesca wrote: »
    When japan went to Australia a few years ago he came back with this really nice coffee (and tea) that's grown out in the bush or something. Can't remember the name, but if you pm him he'll probably be able to look it up for you if you're interested.

Highland Black Mountain.

If you're importing (and money is no object) Jamaican Blue Mountain. Over here it runs to about £80 per kilo, though.

japan on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Percol Fair trade. It tastes good, and you can feel good when you drink it cos you've not taken part in the exploitation of LEDC people by multinationals of MEDCs.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."